Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

gorz
Sixth Man
And1: 1,603

Re: 2020 NBA Draft 

Post#401 » by gorz » Wed Aug 7, 2019 3:05 am

kobyz wrote:
CP War Hawks wrote:I see some Jason Richardson in Edwards, let's hope Crean can create the same thing he did with Wade and Dipo.

Edwards is a creative guard, J Rich was a SF and a spot up shooter who makes athletic play but without much ball handling skills

I think the only similarities lie in their athleticism and size. Edwards possesses far superior handles. Tight handles fluid movement quick burst off the dribble. Jrich always looked very mechanical.
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 636

Post#402 » by remi_222 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 5:35 pm

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1159454952063995905&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fbasket-infos.com%2F2019%2F08%2F08%2Fles-highlights-du-tres-bon-match-de-theo-maledon-face-a-la-tunisie%2F
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#403 » by clyde21 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 5:47 pm

Brandon Williams out for the season...sucks for the kid
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,310

Post#404 » by DirtyDez » Thu Aug 8, 2019 8:29 pm

clyde21 wrote:Brandon Williams out for the season...sucks for the kid

Probably for good. :(

With Terry Armstrong choosing to play in the NBL there is more pressure on Josh and Nico now. They have to be the real deal.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#405 » by King Ken » Fri Aug 9, 2019 12:26 pm

I like the top 3 of this class more than anything.
1. Edwards - Reminds of Zion last year. Some similar questions. Zion had a great physical profile but didn't play strong as I wanted to see, look like he never hit the gym and I seen the same in Edwards. Played a major role with their stamina. Maybe more skill and better shooting. Not the .01% athlete or the decision maker of Williamson. Both are freak athletes. Zion needed the weight room for one year and was GOAT. I wonder what it will do for Edwards. Both are generational athletes. Edwards was an elite generational football prospect before he played basketball seriously. We all know Zion could have been elite at football as well. I think Edwards could be the best SG prospect we have seen enter the NBA since Allen Iverson.

2. Cole Anthony - I like his passing and his finishing the most. I think he has a chance to be this Kyrie/Ja Morant mix. UNC will get an elite PG. Defensively, I have questions. He may have some long term negatives on that end. That said, someone this good on offense is an easy buy.

3. Wiseman - I liken him to a better offensive JJJ with tools similar. The issue is, decision making, feel for the game, you know, questions you don't have about JJJ. But he can shoot, score at will in the paint, he can really hoop on offense. Just a rare big talent wise. The question is, will he ever be a championship level player and is he a #1 option in the NBA? With how deep the league is, I don't even think it matters anymore. Team like the Knicks, Cavs, Pistons, Mavs, Raptors will pray they have any shot at him come June.

After that, it's got more potential at the top than 2019. You got LaMelo, Maledon, Avdjia, Achuiwua, Stewart, Hayes, Nico and McDaniels. Then you got guys coming back like Jones. I like 2020 for now. I liked 2019 depth and it felt like a football draft class more than a NBA one. This one feels like a NBA class. Top heavy, some talent in the teens. Looks bad in the 2nd round.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#406 » by No-Man » Fri Aug 9, 2019 2:09 pm

Wiseman is not even close to JJJ on offense and he is nowhere near as fluid, he is a Gobert/Chandler type with some skill that won't translate and also not as quick off the floor as either, so he isn't a great gravity threat
clyde21
RealGM

Post#407 » by clyde21 » Fri Aug 9, 2019 4:04 pm

Zion alone makes the top of 19 better
King Ken
General Manager

Post#408 » by King Ken » Fri Aug 9, 2019 4:32 pm

Fischella wrote:Wiseman is not even close to JJJ on offense and he is nowhere near as fluid, he is a Gobert/Chandler type with some skill that won't translate and also not as quick off the floor as either, so he isn't a great gravity threat

Negative
clyde21
RealGM

Post#409 » by clyde21 » Fri Aug 9, 2019 4:46 pm

King Ken wrote:
Fischella wrote:Wiseman is not even close to JJJ on offense and he is nowhere near as fluid, he is a Gobert/Chandler type with some skill that won't translate and also not as quick off the floor as either, so he isn't a great gravity threat

Negative

JJJ is a much better athlete than Wiseman IMO
King Ken
General Manager

Post#410 » by King Ken » Fri Aug 9, 2019 4:52 pm

clyde21 wrote:
King Ken wrote:

Negative

I still remember when telling people Zion is a superior athlete to Barkley and them telling me he is barely a better athlete than Randle and is on par if not slighty worse than Larry Johnson around this time last year. Rodney Rogers pt 2 they said

This time last year, everyone is a thousand times better than the prospects.... then the season starts
No-Man
RealGM

Post#411 » by No-Man » Fri Aug 9, 2019 5:27 pm

Wiseman is massively overrated
clyde21
RealGM

Post#412 » by clyde21 » Fri Aug 9, 2019 7:16 pm

King Ken wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
King Ken wrote:Negative

I still remember when telling people Zion is a superior athlete to Barkley and them telling me he is barely a better athlete than Randle and is on par if not slighty worse than Larry Johnson around this time last year. Rodney Rogers pt 2 they said

This time last year, everyone is a thousand times better than the prospects.... then the season starts

lol, not sure what a few stupid people who didn't think Zion was more athletic than Barkley have to do with this discussion.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#413 » by King Ken » Fri Aug 9, 2019 8:02 pm

clyde21 wrote:
King Ken wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

lol, not sure what a few stupid people who didn't think Zion was more athletic than Barkley have to do with this discussion.

You next year at this time...
lol, not sure what a few stupid people who didn't think Wiseman was more athletic than JJJ have to do with this discussion.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#414 » by clyde21 » Fri Aug 9, 2019 8:06 pm

King Ken wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
King Ken wrote:I still remember when telling people Zion is a superior athlete to Barkley and them telling me he is barely a better athlete than Randle and is on par if not slighty worse than Larry Johnson around this time last year. Rodney Rogers pt 2 they said

lol, not sure what a few stupid people who didn't think Wiseman was more athletic than JJJ have to do with this discussion.

Zion is quite possibly the best athlete to ever step on an NBA floor, Wiseman, who's a good athlete, is far from that.

and no, I don't think he's a better athlete than JJJ and just because some idiots thought that about Zion doesn't validate your opinion in any way.

i think you're underrating JJJ's athleticism here.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#415 » by King Ken » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:14 am

clyde21 wrote:
King Ken wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Zion is quite possibly the best athlete to ever step on an NBA floor, Wiseman, who's a good athlete, is far from that.

and no, I don't think he's a better athlete than JJJ and just because some idiots thought that about Zion doesn't validate your opinion in any way.

i think you're underrating JJJ's athleticism here.

Not at all. Especially at the same stage.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,711

Post#416 » by eminence » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:30 pm

Dru Smith is back baby :D
I bought a boat.
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#417 » by kobyz » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:57 am

Wiseman is a LMA clone...
No-Man
RealGM

Post#418 » by No-Man » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:14 am

kobyz wrote:Wiseman is a LMA clone...

Aldridge was more fluid and just had more skills, maybe Wiseman gets there but it was obvious that Aldridge was going to have a killer jumpshot, I don't see that with James
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#419 » by nolang1 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:05 pm

People get way over the top in pronouncing that bigs have no skills. When you're an elite big in high school you have to play against all sorts of junk defenses (oftentimes with less spacing and guards who can't get you the ball) and are officiated like prime Shaq where people are allowed to maul you and you can pick up offensive fouls on the most egregious of flops; unless you're fully physically developed and on another level than the competition strength-wise it looks ugly a lot of the time.

Wiseman is going to be bigger than Aldridge (his U16 training camp measurements were basically the same as Aldridge's NBA draft combine measurements and obviously he's grown since then) and is not going to be a midrange-reliant player. He's a 5 all the way and it would be more apt to discuss how he's more skilled and mobile than someone like Gobert or Whiteside while being on a similar level as a shot blocker/offensive rebounder/lob catcher. For a more recent comparison you could say he's not as freakishly athletic as Jaxson Hayes but stronger, less foul-prone, and more comfortable facing up and in the mid-range.

Far too often, people like to treat "can he be the clear #1 guy on a championship team?" as the end-all, be-all when it comes to evaluating draft prospects even though there clearly aren't multiple such players available every year. Between that and how contrarianism is often mistaken for intelligence (and it doesn't get more contrarian than "the consensus #1 rated recruit/prospect actually sucks"), it can be easy to go way overboard on Wiseman's weaknesses. If he gets drafted 4th and becomes an all-star, whichever team picked him hit a home run.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#420 » by clyde21 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:50 pm

yea, he's not as athletic as Hayes, i don't think Gobert/Whiteside rim protection is there either but doesn't mean he can't be good in that department, offensively he's obviously a lot more sophisticated than these guys.

but I don't see #1 type either way, not enough rim protection or playmaking, he's essentially a less athletic version of Deandre Ayton at this point, but it's still early obviously

Return to NBA Draft