Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Macwolf527
Junior
And1: 217

Re: The Jaylen Nowell Thread 

Post#201 » by Macwolf527 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 5:53 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I acknowledge I take aggressive stances.

I think that's what can rub people the wrong way.

I don't care to be political regarding what I see. I prefer honesty. If that rubs some wrong so be it.

I don't mind someone being aggressive in their stance, especially if they're a fan of the team. Some emotion here and there demonstrates passion for our squad. We can't exactly make faces at each other or raise our voices to get our point across, so it may come out a tad bit aggressive via our wording. It's condescension directed at a persons intelligence or differing opinion that I'm referring too. Even in those circumstances you have to be cautious because that's the nature of the relationship between a few of us on here. It's the new blood that show's up and just starts slinging "hay-makers" that I'm leery about. I expect to be given crap from few people (KGdaBom, mimus, Domejandro, Klomp,airp, shrink, Norseman79) just to name a few. But the "crap" from them has been seasoned over time and I know they'll be around for me to lace their behinds up later.
SmokeyPaw
Starter
And1: 1,163

Post#202 » by SmokeyPaw » Thu Aug 8, 2019 7:49 pm

GI_Slow wrote:
Klomp wrote:
minimus wrote:I expect Nowell to be our less erratic version of Scary Terry.

I think it's interesting you made that comparison a few times in this thread. One thing Jaylen Nowell has in common with Jason Terry: both Seattle kids.

The Seattle hoops market seems to churn out a specific, productive brand of player. Especially in its guards. Jason Terry, Zach LaVine, Brandon Roy, Dejounte Murray, Aaron Brooks, Nate Robinson, Doug Christie, Jamal Crawford. All from the Seattle metro area, all carved out very productive NBA careers.

Don't get me wrong, Seattle has its share of busts like any other city. Marvin Williams, Spencer Hawes and Martell Webster come to mind. But the ratio of good to bust is pretty favorable among Seattle guards and it's nice to have Nowell in our back pocket on a minimal deal.

Most of those guards you listed are well defined combo guards, so if Nowell is that, I'd tend to believe he should fit like a glove beside Culver. The one question I've got (because I don't watch college) is if Jaylen is a good or above average defender for his position, as Rosas is trying to build an intriguing model of versatile players, it'd be a problem if we had a traffic cone at the 1 defensively.

Thats an interesting question. He played zone throughout college so he's hard to evaluate. Averaged 1.3 steals per 36 in a defense that generates steals. Its neither awful or good. Likely he's somewhat behind the curve in man to man concepts. But he appears pretty athletic, so maybe.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#203 » by Jedzz » Fri Aug 9, 2019 12:21 am

Your daily Nowell dose: A little defense and opportunism might be apparent in this game.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#204 » by Klomp » Fri Aug 9, 2019 5:15 am

I'm definitely excited about his potential here, I just don't think his contribution to the NBA club will be immediate.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,472

Post#205 » by Worm Guts » Fri Aug 9, 2019 12:01 pm

I think we should wait for Nowell to play at least one preseason game, or at least have 1 practice, before we decide his appropriate place in the rotation.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#206 » by Jedzz » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:55 am

Another daily dose of a Nowell game.

LibertyPrime
Starter
And1: 1,887

Post#207 » by LibertyPrime » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:23 am

Jedzz wrote:Another daily dose of a Nowell game.

Good stuff, keep 'em coming. Watching Nowell, he seems to have good body control, not looking to stun with athleticism, just good, smart fundamental basketball.
"The last domino falls here!"
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,301

Post#208 » by younggunsmn » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:42 am

younggunsmn wrote:https://www.skornorth.com/wolves-2/2019/07/source-wolves-nowell-remain-distant-in-contract-negotiations/

So apparently we offered Nowell the same deal we gave reid (4 years at the minimum with only the first year guaranteed), and Nowell understandably declined, and wants a deal like we gave KBD (3 years with 2 guaranteed).
Honestly, that's kind of embarrassing we expected him to sign that.

If you want a guy to sign a deal essentially delaying restricted free agency 2 years and playing for the minimum, you ought to be willing to guarantee more money.
Guaranteeing his 2nd year doesnt affect our cap room next summer unless we have to cut him during the year, which would be pretty surprising.
Hopefully we can meet somewhere in the middle and get him signed for 3 or 4 years. We could use our MLE to pay him more the first year.

Glad to see that we came to a resolution that will hopefully work out for both sides.

Their first contract is a big deal to these kids. For a lot of them it will be the only significant NBA payday that they ever see.
With half his income going to taxes and a nice chunk to his agent, the difference between 800k and 1.4 mil can mean a great deal in setting himself up financially if his NBA dreams don't pan out.

On our end, with the early bird rules for 3rd and 4th year players, if Nowell blows up it could end up saving us 8-9 million a year on years 3 and 4.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,661

Post#209 » by KGdaBom » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:20 pm

younggunsmn wrote:
younggunsmn wrote:https://www.skornorth.com/wolves-2/2019/07/source-wolves-nowell-remain-distant-in-contract-negotiations/

So apparently we offered Nowell the same deal we gave reid (4 years at the minimum with only the first year guaranteed), and Nowell understandably declined, and wants a deal like we gave KBD (3 years with 2 guaranteed).
Honestly, that's kind of embarrassing we expected him to sign that.

If you want a guy to sign a deal essentially delaying restricted free agency 2 years and playing for the minimum, you ought to be willing to guarantee more money.
Guaranteeing his 2nd year doesnt affect our cap room next summer unless we have to cut him during the year, which would be pretty surprising.
Hopefully we can meet somewhere in the middle and get him signed for 3 or 4 years. We could use our MLE to pay him more the first year.

Glad to see that we came to a resolution that will hopefully work out for both sides.

Their first contract is a big deal to these kids. For a lot of them it will be the only significant NBA payday that they ever see.
With half his income going to taxes and a nice chunk to his agent, the difference between 800k and 1.4 mil can mean a great deal in setting himself up financially if his NBA dreams don't pan out.

On our end, with the early bird rules for 3rd and 4th year players, if Nowell blows up it could end up saving us 8-9 million a year on years 3 and 4.

Good call on paying him more the first year.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#210 » by Dewey » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:09 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I think we should wait for Nowell to play at least one preseason game, or at least have 1 practice, before we decide his appropriate place in the rotation.

Absolutely ... these young players coming in need to find their fit/role, then learn how to sustain it over 82 games.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,625

Post#211 » by thinktank » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:08 pm

LibertyPrime wrote:Good stuff, keep 'em coming. Watching Nowell, he seems to have good body control, not looking to stun with athleticism, just good, smart fundamental basketball.

My Wolves comps are Billups and Cassell. Those are ceilings. If he could approach that, we’d be sitting pretty, obviously.
What would you pay a guy putting up 18 and 11 in the playoffs?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#212 » by Klomp » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:24 pm

thinktank wrote:
LibertyPrime wrote:Good stuff, keep 'em coming. Watching Nowell, he seems to have good body control, not looking to stun with athleticism, just good, smart fundamental basketball.

My Wolves comps are Billups and Cassell. Those are ceilings. If he could approach that, we’d be sitting pretty, obviously.

I think mine would be Foye
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#213 » by Jedzz » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:33 am

thinktank wrote:

Comparisons and projections of floors and ceilings are cool and all, but there is a reason there is no search function here. All the floors and ceilings were broken and nobody wants to discuss the claims after that.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#214 » by Jedzz » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:22 am

A quiet daily game dose from Nowell. Only 17 pts. Hit every 2, but he didn't hit any threes this game.

He's got nice touch around the rim, uses glass, has a nice floater, and can play above the rim. When he's hitting threes as normal that's potent shooting. When he's not hitting 3s, he's still hitting 2s at this level. They lost this game though.

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#215 » by Jedzz » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:51 am

Since that was a quiet one. Let's dig into a Tourney game. A game they were supposed to lose. Announcers were all about the seniors in this clip, he's barely mentioned. Later in this clip after maybe one mention, they finally refer to him as the rookie/freshman(sophomore?) as "all over the place". And why? Because he was quietly delivering for the seniors in this big game and just taking his as they came. Four year Noah Dickerson shot a lot, fourth year Matisse Thybulle was going wild, fourth year David Crisp, even second year Nahziah Carter shot well. But look closely and you'll see him. Look at his stats and you'll see hiim. Then realize Thybulle fouled out with over 5 minutes left. Who finished this game?

Nowell: 2 of 5 from two (40%), 2 of 2 from three (100%), 9 of 10 FTs, 5 boards, 5 assists, 1 steal. 19pts
10 FT attempts on 7FGs, drawing foul shots on 5 of 7 FGs and made them pay hitting at 90%.

Four players his senior took more shots than him. Dickerson almost took double the shots. Nowell brought home the efficient bacon while letting the seniors have their day. The only player to score more was Dickerson, by 1 pt. Thybulle got his blocks/steals. Dicketson got his boards. Carter shot decent. But the "rookie/freshman"(sophomore) was the quiet facilitator, working for rebounds and the ultimate efficient scoring threat. With all the seniors getting all those shots, (Nowell only had 13% of FG shots) you check the box and see Nowell was the glue on the floor for 38 minutes. Nobody played as complete a game.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#216 » by Klomp » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:55 am

Jedzz wrote:Comparisons and projections of floors and ceilings are cool and all, but there is a reason there is no search function here.

Because they take up too much server space :wink:

SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#217 » by SO_MONEY » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:23 am

Jedzz wrote: A game they were supposed to lose.

Just to be devil's advocate, WAS was favored in that game, higher seed, but favored. As think you are confused on how shot attempts
are counted when you are fouled.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#218 » by Jedzz » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:33 am

SO_MONEY wrote:
Jedzz wrote: A game they were supposed to lose.

Just to be devil's advocate, WAS was favored in that game, higher seed, but favored.

Good.to hear the truth. I had seen two references in descriptions of this game while trying to find/figure out why these announcers were so quiet about Jaylen during the game. One reference was claiming they were supposed to lose, another calling them the underdogs. But they weren't 'official' types. I didn't know. I guess everyone wants to be the underdogs of the story so I went with it.

Looks like most of Nowell's team shot decently that game. I wonder if Utah was suspect on defense or if it was just Washinton's day. Still, no one on that team shoots like him. So to see him playing the sophomore facilitator and the glue so much would be strange if it didn't make sense for allowing the 4th year guys to get the spot lights in the tourney games.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#219 » by Jedzz » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:32 pm

Highschool highlights? This clip gets better and better as it goes on.

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#220 » by Jedzz » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:48 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:As think you are confused on how shot attempts
are counted when you are fouled.
If I miss-represented something please point it out so it can be corrected. Wouldn't be the first time.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves