ImageImageImageImageImage

Green Back 4yr/100 extension

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,195

Re: Green Back 4yr/100 extension 

Post#101 » by clyde21 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 2:46 pm

cpower wrote:awesome news for us. now if we can get some wing depth, we will be back into business for another 3 years before this is all over. best of this, KD gets no jersey retirement and statue.. :lol:

but we have Paschall and Glen Robinson!
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,564

Post#102 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:22 pm

BW32 wrote:They better pay him some extra money when he's old and washed up because he did them a solid just now.

I can't believe he hired Rich Paul just to take the extension like man that was unexpected, not complaining tho let the big 3 finish their careers here.

I really don't see this as him doing the Warriors a favor. He made a calculated decision. Take $100M guaranteed today, or roll the dice that you are worth more than that in a year, and that someone (Warriors or otherwise) will pay you significantly more. Given what he just observed with Durant, Cousins, and Klay to a lesser degree, I could easily believe he said, "Eh. I like it here. I like Steph and Klay. It isn't a burden to stay here, so I'll play it safe and take the sure $100M." Because if he blew something out this year and ended up where Cousins has been the last few years, that would be pretty rough.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#103 » by Samurai » Tue Aug 6, 2019 5:00 pm

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:
BW32 wrote:They better pay him some extra money when he's old and washed up because he did them a solid just now.

I can't believe he hired Rich Paul just to take the extension like man that was unexpected, not complaining tho let the big 3 finish their careers here.

I really don't see this as him doing the Warriors a favor. He made a calculated decision. Take $100M guaranteed today, or roll the dice that you are worth more than that in a year, and that someone (Warriors or otherwise) will pay you significantly more. Given what he just observed with Durant, Cousins, and Klay to a lesser degree, I could easily believe he said, "Eh. I like it here. I like Steph and Klay. It isn't a burden to stay here, so I'll play it safe and take the sure $100M." Because if he blew something out this year and ended up where Cousins has been the last few years, that would be pretty rough.

Agree. I think he looked at this first and foremost as in his own personal best interest, which should be the primary factor for him and his family. It just so happened to also be in the team's best interest - one of those rare win-win situations.
KidPistol
Sixth Man
And1: 1,510

Post#104 » by KidPistol » Wed Aug 7, 2019 4:31 am

Not a bad deal considering we have the big 3 now locked up.
The scariest question in NBA history.

"Can Stephen Curry get better?"
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#105 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Aug 7, 2019 4:53 am

Security is a factor, but I think the team is part of it too.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#106 » by Samurai » Wed Aug 7, 2019 5:19 pm

KidPistol wrote:Not a bad deal considering we have the big 3 now locked up.

Big 4 if you consider that Russell is under contract for 4 years.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#107 » by likashing » Wed Aug 7, 2019 9:02 pm

I really don't see this as him doing the Warriors a favor. He made a calculated decision. Take $100M guaranteed today, or roll the dice that you are worth more than that in a year, and that someone...

Well if you think this way, none of the stars "did us a favor". When any other team can only pay Klay max $141m/4 = ~$35m per year, Klay did not do us any favor either by having us pay him $38m per year for 5 years. Klay taking $141m/4 or ~$35m/year for 5 years would actually be a "favor".

Draymond's agreement to an extension is as team friendly as they come in the NBA.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Post#108 » by xdrta+ » Thu Aug 8, 2019 7:29 pm

More news trickling out about Draymond's contract. He'll receive "advance payments" each year, 25% of his annual salary on July 1 and another 25% on Oct 1. With that and the PO, maybe Rich Paul did him some good after all.
likashing
Head Coach

Post#109 » by likashing » Thu Aug 8, 2019 8:12 pm

xdrta+ wrote:More news trickling out about Draymond's contract. He'll receive "advance payments" each year, 25% of his annual salary on July 1 and another 25% on Oct 1. With that and the PO, maybe Rich Paul did him some good after all.

Don't underestimate Myers' and Lacob's role in this. Everybody knew the max allowed was $100m/4. Apart from sweet talks, our grand plans, etc, pre-payment is a way. Lacob (the Warriors crop) needs to fund it as well.

Just saying don't assume this came up from Klutch. But of course any deal takes 2 sides, and Draymond/Klutch need to agree on it regardless who came up with the idea.

This is semi-similar taking a lump sum lotto payment (and paying a huge chunk of tax), instead of having it split over a long period.

Eww... side-tracked... after tax it will be more like $25m instead of $50m.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#110 » by xdrta+ » Thu Aug 8, 2019 10:35 pm

likashing wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:More news trickling out about Draymond's contract. He'll receive "advance payments" each year, 25% of his annual salary on July 1 and another 25% on Oct 1. With that and the PO, maybe Rich Paul did him some good after all.

Don't underestimate Myers' and Lacob's role in this. Everybody knew the max allowed was $100m/4. Apart from sweet talks, our grand plans, etc, pre-payment is a way. Lacob (the Warriors crop) needs to fund it as well.

Just saying don't assume this came up from Klutch. But of course any deal takes 2 sides, and Draymond/Klutch need to agree on it regardless who came up with the idea.

This is semi-similar taking a lump sum lotto payment (and paying a huge chunk of tax), instead of having it split over a long period.

Not sure tax enters into it, since the total for the year will be the same.
likashing
Head Coach

Post#111 » by likashing » Fri Aug 9, 2019 3:03 am

xdrta+ wrote:
likashing wrote:

Didn’t say it was a tax planning moving. Just saying he will pay maybe half of the $50m to the gov.
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#112 » by marthafokker » Fri Aug 9, 2019 2:17 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
likashing wrote:

But if he gets the 50 mil this year, that money will be taxed as 2019 contribution.

I think this might be a LaCob creative accounting in contract discussion. By 2021, if Trump is ousted, taxes will go back up. Potentially saving Green a few millions.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#113 » by xdrta+ » Fri Aug 9, 2019 2:43 pm

marthafokker wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
likashing wrote:

But if he gets the 50 mil this year, that money will be taxed as 2019 contribution.

I think this might be a LaCob creative accounting in contract discussion. By 2021, if Trump is ousted, taxes will go back up. Potentially saving Green a few millions.

You didn't read the post above. He doesn't get a lump sum, he gets an advance payment on his annual salary each year.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#114 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Aug 9, 2019 8:21 pm

marthafokker wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
likashing wrote:

I wonder if Lacob can pay him in stock options :)

Return to Golden State Warriors