OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION]

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,898

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#681 » by buckboy » Thu Aug 8, 2019 2:49 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
buckboy wrote:My niece and her 10 friends just got back from her bachelorette party in Miami Beach last Sunday. I have no idea what they spent, but it sure sounded like lot. Staying on South Beach, booze cruises (plural), etc. They had a great time.

And then she canceled the wedding THE NEXT DAY.

So one of two things happened:

1. The marriage was never gonna happen but she wanted to have fun.

2. A hookup or at least 2nd thoughts about signing the freedom away occurred on this trip.

I'm pretty sure it was #1 at a minimum. I really hope that at least some of the people knew that, because it's pretty **** up if not. These are not wealthy people. Her sister in particular could in no way afford that trip, but went anyway because it's her sister.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,159
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#682 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Aug 8, 2019 2:55 pm

buckboy wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
buckboy wrote:My niece and her 10 friends just got back from her bachelorette party in Miami Beach last Sunday. I have no idea what they spent, but it sure sounded like lot. Staying on South Beach, booze cruises (plural), etc. They had a great time.

And then she canceled the wedding THE NEXT DAY.

2. A hookup or at least 2nd thoughts about signing the freedom away occurred on this trip.

I'm pretty sure it was #1 at a minimum. I really hope that at least some of the people knew that, because it's pretty **** up if not. These are not wealthy people. Her sister in particular could in no way afford that trip, but went anyway because it's her sister.

I had a somewhat similar situation a few years ago. A close family member in the wife's family was getting married pretty (I think 20). The entire wedding happened and obviously wasn't cheap for anyone involved. They split up 2 weeks later and it came out that it was a known thing a few weeks before the wedding for various reasons that they were pretty much done and one of them had already been with other people shortly before the wedding.
talbert
Junior
And1: 204

Post#683 » by talbert » Thu Aug 8, 2019 6:00 pm

The wedding stuff is out of control in the United States. I don't get where all these people got the idea that they deserve these huge elaborate weddings. Furthermore the expectation that friends and family spend copious amount of their precious time, energy, and money to make a bride and groom's day "magical".

I'm currently dealing with a situation where I'm getting pretty sick (I have Crohn's Disease), and my girlfriend's brother is getting married at the end of the month. They expect my girlfriend and I's lives to revolve around this wedding. Every damn weekend it's something... A "couples" shower, a party to let the wedding party get to know each other. It just never ends. On top of it all the two that are getting married bailed on helping us move to go camping!

Anyhow, I have to have a colonoscopy the day before the wedding. I didn't plan it like that, it just happened. My girlfriend's mother is adamant that my girlfriend needs to take the day off work to help with the wedding (whatever that entails), and not help me with the colonoscopy. My girlfriend is afraid of her mother and that's exactly what's happening. My mom will take me it will be fine, but damn do these people have their priorities screwed up.

All I'm trying to say is **** those people. Rant over. Thanks for listening!
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#684 » by Bucksfan28 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 7:02 pm

(Most) weddings have become so superficial it's sickening. Had my own horror summer last year in prep for one I was part of. Then to top it off the wedding was outside and the sun was beating me down in full suit during the ceremony.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,692

Post#685 » by HaroldinGMinor » Thu Aug 8, 2019 7:30 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
buckboy wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

I had a somewhat similar situation a few years ago. A close family member in the wife's family was getting married pretty (I think 20). The entire wedding happened and obviously wasn't cheap for anyone involved. They split up 2 weeks later and it came out that it was a known thing a few weeks before the wedding for various reasons that they were pretty much done and one of them had already been with other people shortly before the wedding.

Hope everyone got their gifts returned.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,692

Post#686 » by HaroldinGMinor » Thu Aug 8, 2019 7:33 pm

talbert wrote:
I'm currently dealing with a situation where I'm getting pretty sick (I have Crohn's Disease), !

That sucks dude. I am in the same boat although my symptoms have been stable for a long time. PM me if you want to talk.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,648

Post#687 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Aug 8, 2019 8:08 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:
talbert wrote:
I'm currently dealing with a situation where I'm getting pretty sick (I have Crohn's Disease), !

That sucks dude. I am in the same boat although my symptoms have been stable for a long time. PM me if you want to talk.

I spent the past year and a half on elimination diets, feeling horrible and often isolating myself. Completely changed my life for the worse. Finally found a good doc, got on some helpful meds, and have seen some relief and am reintroducing some normal foods again. I feel lucky to have “just” been diagnosed with severe IBS and not IBD. I really feel for you guys.

Fun topic (but important)!
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#688 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Aug 8, 2019 8:51 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
buckboy wrote:

Hope everyone got their gifts returned.

Don't believe so haha.
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#689 » by bizarro » Thu Aug 8, 2019 8:51 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:
talbert wrote:

I spent the past year and a half on elimination diets, feeling horrible and often isolating myself. Completely changed my life for the worse. Finally found a good doc, got on some helpful meds, and have seen some relief and am reintroducing some normal foods again. I feel lucky to have “just” been diagnosed with severe IBS and not IBD. I really feel for you guys.

I suffered a very serious Salmonella illness followed by two bouts of Giardia while traveling and working in the tropics. The thing that absolutely has given me a fighting chance - and a regimen specifically designed for people who suffer from Crohn’s and IBS/IBD - is the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. Absolutely crucial.
PANDEMONEUM
Analyst
And1: 403

Post#690 » by PANDEMONEUM » Thu Aug 8, 2019 8:59 pm

does anyone workout at Planet Fitness at 27th/Morgan?

i got injured and now am fat.
need someone to workout with cause going alone is not working.

if anyone doesnt mind a workout buddy thats gonna start at the lowest setting,
HMU.

i have a guest pass, and can bring a guest every time,
so if anyone wants go for free,
id b down for that too.
cost is putting up with me.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#691 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Aug 8, 2019 9:09 pm

bizarro wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:

I suffered a very serious Salmonella illness followed by two bouts of Giardia while traveling and working in the tropics. The thing that absolutely has given me a fighting chance - and a regimen specifically designed for people who suffer from Crohn’s and IBS/IBD - is the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. Absolutely crucial.

Interesting. I haven't heard of this one.

So I followed the Low FODMAP diet for about 14 months - which is about 11 months longer than you're supposed to - and found moderate success with it, but was miserable because of how restrictive it is. And the success was still just moderate. But it's been such a positive thing for my mental state to be successfully reintroducing foods again that I had been without for over a year. There are still some I have found seem to be triggers for me - it's still a work in progress, and I imagine will be forever.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#692 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Aug 8, 2019 9:13 pm

So what I've learned on this thread is that nobody can sleep at night and have Crohn's/IBS/IBD.
BuckHole
Veteran
And1: 1,004

Post#693 » by BuckHole » Thu Aug 8, 2019 9:48 pm

I think one of the things to consider if you want to make a women your bride besides the children, religion, philosophy, politics questions is if she wants a large wedding and you two are paying for it. It’s dumb. The lists get out of control. If you aren’t rich, it should be an indicator of future debt possibilities. Logic vs feelings.
I admit to being a terrible judge of talent and having minimal knowledge of the game of basketball.
AKA Da Thread Killa
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,273

Post#694 » by Finn » Thu Aug 8, 2019 9:53 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Spoiler:
quote="Kerb Hohl"][quote="jschligs"]I leave for Key West today for my soon-to-be brother in-law’s bachelor patty and a couple things:

1. These destination bachelor/bachelorette parties are getting out of control. I’ve already spent over $1,000 on airfare and AirBnB. I did a cabin in northern WI and the entire long weekend was less than $300.

2. My fiancé is allergic to shell fish and it’s Lobsterfest down there. I’m going to take advantage and eat my weight in every kind of shellfish.[/quote]

I have lucked out that 90+% of the ones I've gone to have had cost in mind and the few destination ones that didn't were in our 20s so everyone crammed into some sort of rental/AirBnB so it wasn't too crazy of cost...but I hear you.

Key West also is unique in that it is expensive as hell. Are you driving from Miami or flying directly in? I've actually never been but I've been in Southern Florida enough that every time I say, "hey, maybe we could do Key West for a...[looks at hotel prices]...nevermind."[/quote]

I did Key West and stayed at an AirBnB maybe 45 minutes south in Ramrod Key. It was solid. Lack of great beaches hurt the experience, but you can throw a rock in any direction and get ridiculously good food. Make sure you have grouper at least three times from various spots.[/quote][/quote]

:confused:
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,944

Post#695 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Aug 8, 2019 10:29 pm

Finn wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Spoiler:
quote="Kerb Hohl"][quote="jschligs"]I leave for Key West today for my soon-to-be brother in-law’s bachelor patty and a couple things:

1. These destination bachelor/bachelorette parties are getting out of control. I’ve already spent over $1,000 on airfare and AirBnB. I did a cabin in northern WI and the entire long weekend was less than $300.

2. My fiancé is allergic to shell fish and it’s Lobsterfest down there. I’m going to take advantage and eat my weight in every kind of shellfish.[/quote]

I have lucked out that 90+% of the ones I've gone to have had cost in mind and the few destination ones that didn't were in our 20s so everyone crammed into some sort of rental/AirBnB so it wasn't too crazy of cost...but I hear you.

Key West also is unique in that it is expensive as hell. Are you driving from Miami or flying directly in? I've actually never been but I've been in Southern Florida enough that every time I say, "hey, maybe we could do Key West for a...[looks at hotel prices]...nevermind."[/quote]

I did Key West and stayed at an AirBnB maybe 45 minutes south in Ramrod Key. It was solid. Lack of great beaches hurt the experience, but you can throw a rock in any direction and get ridiculously good food. Make sure you have grouper at least three times from various spots.[/quote][/quote][/quote]
:confused:[/quote]

LOL whoops meant North.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,710

Post#696 » by AussieBuck » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:03 pm

talbert wrote:The wedding stuff is out of control in the United States. I don't get where all these people got the idea that they deserve these huge elaborate weddings. Furthermore the expectation that friends and family spend copious amount of their precious time, energy, and money to make a bride and groom's day "magical".

I'm currently dealing with a situation where I'm getting pretty sick (I have Crohn's Disease), and my girlfriend's brother is getting married at the end of the month. They expect my girlfriend and I's lives to revolve around this wedding. Every damn weekend it's something... A "couples" shower, a picnic for them, a party to let the wedding party get to know each other. It just never ends. On top of it all the two that are getting married bailed on helping us move to go camping!

Anyhow, I have to have a colonoscopy the day before the wedding. I didn't plan it like that, it just happened. My girlfriend's mother is adamant that my girlfriend needs to take the day off work to help with the wedding (whatever that entails), and not help me with the colonoscopy. My girlfriend is afraid of her mother and that's exactly what's happening. My mom will take me it will be fine, but damn do these people have their priorities screwed up.

Don't marry the girl who sides with her mother over you. Free advice priced appropriately
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,944

Post#697 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:19 pm

AussieBuck wrote:
talbert wrote:The wedding stuff is out of control in the United States. I don't get where all these people got the idea that they deserve these huge elaborate weddings. Furthermore the expectation that friends and family spend copious amount of their precious time, energy, and money to make a bride and groom's day "magical".

I'm currently dealing with a situation where I'm getting pretty sick (I have Crohn's Disease), and my girlfriend's brother is getting married at the end of the month. They expect my girlfriend and I's lives to revolve around this wedding. Every damn weekend it's something... A "couples" shower, a picnic for them, a party to let the wedding party get to know each other. It just never ends. On top of it all the two that are getting married bailed on helping us move to go camping!

Don't marry the girl who sides with her mother over you. Free advice priced appropriately

My sister married a guy everyone knew she shouldn't. HUGE mommy's boy. They talked on the phone every night. Had to get her approval for everything. I was gonna date his sister until I found out she was just as bad. The night of their wedding the mother in law says to my sister, "Just so you know, I'm always going to be #1 in his life" :o.

She got married I think because every one of her friends were getting hitched. It lasted about 10 months.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,710

Post#698 » by AussieBuck » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:26 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:

My sister married a guy everyone knew she shouldn't. HUGE mommy's boy. They talked on the phone every night. Had to get her approval for everything. I was gonna date his sister until I found out she was just as bad. The night of their wedding the mother in law says to my sister, "Just so you know, I'm always going to be #1 in his life" :o.

She got married I think because every one of her friends were getting hitched. It lasted about 10 months.

Lol, dude was probably still getting breastfeeding
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#699 » by bizarro » Fri Aug 9, 2019 2:25 am

MikeIsGood wrote:
bizarro wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:

So I followed the Low FODMAP diet for about 14 months - which is about 11 months longer than you're supposed to - and found moderate success with it, but was miserable because of how restrictive it is. And the success was still just moderate. But it's been such a positive thing for my mental state to be successfully reintroducing foods again that I had been without for over a year. There are still some I have found seem to be triggers for me - it's still a work in progress, and I imagine will be forever.

FODMAP isn’t enough whatsoever. But if you’re not prepared for restrictive don’t even consider SCD. Most doctors, frankly, including so called Gastroenterologists, don’t know anything about the gut. They just don’t. Your success is yours. Run with it.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#700 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Aug 9, 2019 2:40 am

bizarro wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
bizarro wrote:

FODMAP isn’t enough whatsoever. But if you’re not prepared for restrictive don’t even consider SCD. Most doctors, frankly, including so called Gastroenterologists, don’t know anything about the gut. They just don’t. Your success is yours. Run with it.

Oh trust me, I know that last part all too well. It's why I floundered for almost a year and a half with minimal progress - Georgia is terrible. The healthcare here is a **** disaster. Between PCPs and gastros I had been to 4 before just **** giving up (and it takes months to get a **** 10 minute appointment).

I am fortunate enough to be able to be a healthcare tourist and I have traveled back to Wisconsin to see a doc to get better attention from UW; time, consideration, expertise, and overall care. I'm so glad I finally did it. I wish I had done it sooner, but glad I did it at all.

I'm not prepared for that level of restrictiveness, so I won't consider that path. I appreciate the info regardless. Glad to be on a path of great improvement recently.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks