Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Re: The Washington Redskins Thread 

Post#921 » by Wizardspride » Sun Jun 2, 2019 3:41 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#922 » by Ruzious » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:05 pm

Does this Trent Williams impass make sense to anyone? He's really holding out and refusing to ever play for the Redskins (while he has 2 years left on a contract that pays him over 10 million dollars a year) because he's pissed over the team's medical group? Has anything similar ever happened in the history of US pro sports? I mean... these are SPORTS doctors - not regular doctors you see about tumors on your head. He's hopefully smart enough to understand that, right? Maybe when they took that growth off his head, they accidentally took part of his brain?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 594

Post#923 » by BearlyBallin » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:50 pm

Ruzious wrote:Does this Trent Williams impass make sense to anyone? He's really holding out and refusing to ever play for the Redskins (while he has 2 years left on a contract that pays him over 10 million dollars a year) because he's pissed over the team's medical group? Has anything similar ever happened in the history of US pro sports? I mean... these are SPORTS doctors - not regular doctors you see about tumors on your head. He's hopefully smart enough to understand that, right? Maybe when they took that growth off his head, they accidentally took part of his brain?

I heard Santana saying he didn’t think Trent was coming back. Now others suggesting Trent won’t be back anytime soon....

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#924 » by TNBT » Mon Aug 5, 2019 4:52 pm

I’m hoping Williams comes back, but I’m damn glad we signed Penn just in case. Still, it would be interesting to see what we could get in return for him.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#925 » by Ruzious » Mon Aug 5, 2019 6:17 pm

TNBT wrote:I’m hoping Williams comes back, but I’m damn glad we signed Penn just in case. Still, it would be interesting to see what we could get in return for him.

Most of the local media guys seem sure they can get at least a 2nd for him - maybe a first, but I'd be surprised if they get more than a 3rd. He's 31 with a contract getting him over 12 mil a year, and he's been very injury-prone the last few years - and teams know that eventually the Skins will drop him. Houston seems like the most logical destination, because they desperately need O-line help for DeShawn Watson, they have some extra picks, and Trent's from Texas.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
popper
Veteran
And1: 366

Post#926 » by popper » Mon Aug 5, 2019 10:38 pm

Ruzious wrote:
TNBT wrote:I’m hoping Williams comes back, but I’m damn glad we signed Penn just in case. Still, it would be interesting to see what we could get in return for him.

Most of the local media guys seem sure they can get at least a 2nd for him - maybe a first, but I'd be surprised if they get more than a 3rd. He's 31 with a contract getting him over 12 mil a year, and he's been very injury-prone the last few years - and teams know that eventually the Skins will drop him. Houston seems like the most logical destination, because they desperately need O-line help for DeShawn Watson, they have some extra picks, and Trent's from Texas.

I think you’re right. A third round pick would be the best we could hope for but that might even be too optimistic. We should move him ASAP if he doesn’t want to play here.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#927 » by Ruzious » Tue Aug 6, 2019 11:47 am

popper wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

I think you’re right. A third round pick would be the best we could hope for but that might even be too optimistic. We should move him ASAP if he doesn’t want to play here.

Yeah, get a 3rd from Houston, Cleveland or NE, and make the situation go away - It might be the biggest distraction in football. I guess the good thing is that it takes away attention from the QB situation - which doesn't look good right now - though it sounds like the receivers group is looking a lot better than originally advertised.

Last year, we had the Cousins contract debacle dominating all the Skins conversation (not to mention the problem with the drunk GM and "leaked" sources in the front office), but they were finally able to quiet it some with the Alex Smith trade. Now they need to quell the Trent Williams dissention. Notice Bruce Allen seems to be a central figure in all the problems. Oh well. We'll see how the season goes. They actually have some talent, but these distractions never end.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#928 » by TGW » Thu Aug 8, 2019 2:03 pm

Would have been awesome if the Skins picked up Kaep. He would have energized the locker room and the fanbase, and at least made this team interesting while Haskins learns from the bench.

Those cowards have no problem picking up guys who beat their girlfriends (that's the NFL in general), but the guy who makes a political stand is a pariah.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#929 » by Ruzious » Thu Aug 8, 2019 2:36 pm

TGW wrote:Would have been awesome if the Skins picked up Kaep. He would have energized the locker room and the fanbase, and at least made this team interesting while Haskins learns from the bench.

Those cowards have no problem picking up guys who beat their girlfriends (that's the NFL in general), but the guy who makes a political stand is a pariah.

There's a lot of truth there, but I give them a pass because I don't think Kaep fits their system and doubtful that Gruden's smart enough to adjust his system to fit Kaep. He's an RG3 style QB who's not very good in the pocket. Kaep definitely should be in the NFL.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#930 » by Ruzious » Thu Aug 8, 2019 8:58 pm

Apparetly, Kirk Cousins still needs to get a grip. https://sports.yahoo.com/kirk-cousins-complains-garrett-bradbury-223303376.html

Kirk's already one step ahead... in coming up with an excuse for the inevitbable disappointing end to his season. :)
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,351

Post#931 » by Kanyewest » Thu Aug 8, 2019 9:02 pm

TGW wrote:Would have been awesome if the Skins picked up Kaep. He would have energized the locker room and the fanbase, and at least made this team interesting while Haskins learns from the bench.

Certainly last season if Kaep was going to come it would have happened. Instead the Redskins got Mark Sanchez and Josh Johnson,
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#932 » by BearlyBallin » Fri Aug 9, 2019 12:04 am

Baker Mayfield looked good.

We can’t keep holding every play.

Settle looks quicker.
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,053

Post#933 » by queridiculo » Fri Aug 9, 2019 10:52 am

Fat chance, Snyder is a trumpeteer.
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#934 » by Shoe » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:10 pm

Haskins has elite raw talent. Way more athletic and much stronger arm than scouts said. He can become a top tier QB.
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#935 » by BearlyBallin » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:34 pm

Cuts are going to be interesting this weekend.

Steven Sims showed what he can do returning kicks and as a slot receiver, but is it enough to make the 53? And if he does make the 53 man roster who gets cut? Cam Sims dropped a few balls against the Ravens but had a pretty good preseason before the Ravens game. I think one of these two make the roster and the other will be resigned to the Practice Squad unless they’re claimed off waivers.

Casanova McKinzy showed what he could do rushing and was a lock to make the 53, but he left the 1st quarter with a concussion last night. Jordan Brailford is still hurt too. Both may start the year on IR. Darrel Williams seemed to be everywhere in the 4th quarter, but I don’t know if it was enough to beat out Smith or Ankrah. I do feel it was enough to deserve a spot on the PS.

Ryan Bee had a consistently solid preseason and in my mind passed JoJo Wicker. Wicker looked good on that goal line stop and his earlier sack but didn’t show the ability to be around the ball consistently the same way that Ryan Bee has over the entire preseason. If Gruden keeps 6 DL men I think Bee is on the 53. Heck if Brantley starts the year on IR they both may make the team.

Jeremy Reaves passed Troy Apke in my mind. I still have hopes for Apke but I can’t see cutting Reaves.

Adonis Alexander finally came back from injury and played but I think he may get cut and moved to the PS. Deon Harris stays with his man and shows some good plays but couldn’t get his head turned around in time to find the ball giving up a TD twice this preseason. I think the best position for both Alexander and Harris is at FS but the skins decided to play them only at CB. I believe Harris played everywhere in the backfield in college and was considered a big hitter. I can’t help but feel Harris is a tick away from picking off some of those passes. But in the end I think he’ll be cut.

~ Confucius about 500 BC
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#936 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:06 pm

BearlyBallin wrote:Cuts are going to be interesting this weekend.

Steven Sims showed what he can do returning kicks and as a slot receiver, but is it enough to make the 53? And if he does make the 53 man roster who gets cut? Cam Sims dropped a few balls against the Ravens but had a pretty good preseason before the Ravens game. I think one of these two make the roster and the other will be resigned to the Practice Squad unless they’re claimed off waivers.

Casanova McKinzy showed what he could do rushing and was a lock to make the 53, but he left the 1st quarter with a concussion last night. Jordan Brailford is still hurt too. Both may start the year on IR. Darrel Williams seemed to be everywhere in the 4th quarter, but I don’t know if it was enough to beat out Smith or Ankrah. I do feel it was enough to deserve a spot on the PS.

Ryan Bee had a consistently solid preseason and in my mind passed JoJo Wicker. Wicker looked good on that goal line stop and his earlier sack but didn’t show the ability to be around the ball consistently the same way that Ryan Bee has over the entire preseason. If Gruden keeps 6 DL men I think Bee is on the 53. Heck if Brantley starts the year on IR they both may make the team.

Jeremy Reaves passed Troy Apke in my mind. I still have hopes for Apke but I can’t see cutting Reaves.

Adonis Alexander finally came back from injury and played but I think he may get cut and moved to the PS. Deon Harris stays with his man and shows some good plays but couldn’t get his head turned around in time to find the ball giving up a TD twice this preseason. I think the best position for both Alexander and Harris is at FS but the skins decided to play them only at CB. I believe Harris played everywhere in the backfield in college and was considered a big hitter. I can’t help but feel Harris is a tick away from picking off some of those passes. But in the end I think he’ll be cut.

I’d cut Doctson in a second. Keep a group of versatile guys who will do whatever it takes - including blocking and special teams.

Sims, Sims and Davis. In my book, they all make it.
In Rizzo we trust
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#937 » by BearlyBallin » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:47 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
BearlyBallin wrote:Cuts are going to be interesting this weekend.

I’d cut Doctson in a second. Keep a group of versatile guys who will do whatever it takes - including blocking and special teams.

Sims, Sims and Davis. In my book, they all make it.

Yeah Doctson just couldn’t stay healthy. It was time to give someone else a look.

I’ve been rooting for Davis since before the skins drafted him. I think they were expecting him to contribute last year but that horrible leg injury before the year started killed those expectations. In fact they didn’t even list him on the first official depth chart from the Redskins. Davis earned his spot with his play at WR & as a gunner on ST.

~ Confucius about 500 BC
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#938 » by BearlyBallin » Sun Sep 1, 2019 12:18 am

Shaun Wilson & Jordan Brailford are both injured and will go to IR, opening 2 roster spots on the 53 Man Roster. Who do the skins bring back or sign off another teams cut list? (I’m not talking about the Practice Squad here)

I think they need to look at bringing in a TE in case Jordan Reed isn’t ready to go against Philadelphia and I’m nervous about our depth at ILB & OLB. I think the skins still have some guys with nagging injuries (Holcomb, Dion-Hamilton, Harvey-Clemons @ILB & Sweat, McKinzy @OLB)

Do they bring back Holtz? Marquises Flowers since he can play inside or out? I think it would be hard to bring in someone that hasn’t been working with the team unless they are sure they can coach them up by next Sunday.

~ Confucius about 500 BC
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#939 » by BearlyBallin » Sun Sep 1, 2019 4:42 pm

A few names, from the nfl cut list, I’d look at for the Practice Squad.
(Not including cuts from the Redskins)

QB (I worry about Colts injury taking so long to heal, be nice to have a healthy 3rd QB around)
Tyree Jackson
Height: 6-7   Weight: 249   Age: 21
DeShone Kizer  
Height: 6-4   Weight: 235   Age: 23
Kyle Lauletta  
Height: 6-2   Weight: 219   Age: 24

OL (can’t ever have enough big bodies & hopefully we get Timon Paris back)
Ryan Pope  
Height: 6-7   Weight: 320   Age: 22
Tyler Roemer  
Height: 6-6   Weight: 315   Age: 21

TE (Skins have kept a few on the PS the past couple of years)
Ricky Seals-Jones  
Height: 6-5   Weight: 243   Age: 24
Ian Bunting
Height: 6-7   Weight: 255   Age: 23

OLB (both projects & got dumped with a coaching/front office change, edge potential is there if they can figure it out)
Malik Jefferson  
Height: 6-2   Weight: 241   Age: 22
Jachai Polite  
Height: 6-3   Weight: 258   Age: 21

~ Confucius about 500 BC
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#940 » by BearlyBallin » Mon Sep 2, 2019 5:54 pm

Skins sign to 53 Roster former Eagle,
Treyvon Hester, DT
HT: 6-2 WT: 300 Age: 26

“...Hester’s style of play is virtually tailor-made for Jim Schwartz‘s attacking 4-3 scheme, where he lines up on the guard’s outside shoulder. With a surprising amount of wiggle and a lightning-fast first step for a 300 pounder – which makes sense when you consider he ran a 4.8 40 at his pro day –  Hester can burst through a gap, and still clog-up his hole if a presumed passing play turns into a run.

Hester also has the kind of motor to remain engaged on a play even when the ball isn’t coming his way. Granted, it may not be as active as potential practice squad target Aziz Shittu, but what Hester lacks in negotiating skills, he more than makes up for in special teams prowess.

Weirdly enough, Hester is an absolute nightmare on special teams.

Maybe it’s because of his blend of size and speed, but the Eagles used Hester on 94 special teams snaps last season, and he rewarded Dave Fipp for his confidence by blocking a Cody Parkey kick...”

From Matty Breisch of Fansided Section 215

This writer felt Hester should have made the opening 53 for Philadelphia.

~ Confucius about 500 BC

Return to Washington Wizards