OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,972

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1401 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Aug 7, 2019 3:48 pm

jschligs wrote:Can't wait for this fall's lineup of games. It's going to be insane. I'm also going to jump in and buy FE: Three Houses even though I rarely play turn-based games and the last JRPG I played was Skies of Arcadia on Dreamcast. **** it, I need a new game.

To be honest I've never liked JRPGs. Can't think of a single one. FF XV is probably the only one I've finished (or even come close). I treat SRPGs as their own separate thing.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,593

Post#1402 » by TroyD92 » Wed Aug 7, 2019 4:35 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
jschligs wrote:Can't wait for this fall's lineup of games. It's going to be insane. I'm also going to jump in and buy FE: Three Houses even though I rarely play turn-based games and the last JRPG I played was Skies of Arcadia on Dreamcast. **** it, I need a new game.

To be honest I've never liked JRPGs. Can't think of a single one. FF XV is probably the only one I've finished (or even come close). I treat SRPGs as their own separate thing.

I mean you can treat them differently but that doesn’t fundamentally change what they are
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1403 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Aug 7, 2019 4:55 pm

TroyD92 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

I mean you can treat them differently but that doesn’t fundamentally change what they are

Fire Emblem and Tactics games have WAY more in common with something like XCOM or Banner Saga than they do traditional Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star, Earthbound, Dragon Quest, etc.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,647

Post#1404 » by emunney » Wed Aug 7, 2019 5:13 pm

What's the closest thing to Timesplitters 2 out there today?
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,658

Post#1405 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Aug 7, 2019 5:14 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
TroyD92 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Fire Emblem and Tactics games have WAY more in common with something like XCOM or Banner Saga than they do traditional Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star, Earthbound, Dragon Quest, etc.

I like them both, but I agree with this.
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,750

Post#1406 » by tydett » Wed Aug 7, 2019 7:48 pm

Finished Three Houses playthrough 1. Probably gonna be a while before I go back for the other routes. Overall I liked it, but the academy parts probably make the game longer than I care to invest right away again. Also, feel a little bit jaded that parts of the story I played through don't make as much sense, apparently, than if I had played through other routes.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1407 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Aug 8, 2019 9:28 pm

tydett wrote:Finished Three Houses playthrough 1. Probably gonna be a while before I go back for the other routes. Overall I liked it, but the academy parts probably make the game longer than I care to invest right away again. Also, feel a little bit jaded that parts of the story I played through don't make as much sense, apparently, than if I had played through other routes.

Without spoiling anything, whose route did you take? I know very little about what comes after the jump, but the little I do know makes me glad I picked the Golden Deer.

At Chapter 11, and unless something unexpected changes I have my team. I got the easy ones in Flayn, Hanneman, Manuela, Alois, Catherine, Shamir and Cyril. But I'm really happy with how the rest of the recruitment went: Ingrid, Mercedes, Sylvain, Felix, Dorothea, Bernadetta, Caspar, and Linhardt. All but three. I'm sure the next play through I'll get them all.

I'm sure I'll finish it this weekend. I have the house to myself until Sunday afternoon. God it's gonna be glorious.
tydett
General Manager

Post#1408 » by tydett » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:05 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
tydett wrote:Finished Three Houses playthrough 1. Probably gonna be a while before I go back for the other routes. Overall I liked it, but the academy parts probably make the game longer than I care to invest right away again. Also, feel a little bit jaded that parts of the story I played through don't make as much sense, apparently, than if I had played through other routes.

Without spoiling anything, whose route did you take? I know very little about what comes after the jump, but the little I do know makes me glad I picked the Golden Deer.

At Chapter 11, and unless something unexpected changes I have my team. I got the easy ones in Flayn, Hanneman, Manuela, Alois, Catherine, Shamir and Cyril. But I'm really happy with how the rest of the recruitment went: Ingrid, Mercedes, Sylvain, Felix, Dorothea, Bernadetta, Caspar, and Linhardt. All but three. I'm sure the next play through I'll get them all.

I'm sure I'll finish it this weekend. I have the house to myself until Sunday afternoon. God it's gonna be glorious.

I finished Golden Deer. The main story itself is pretty fine. It's some of the side details about characters in the house that apparently show up in other routes that leaves me a bit befuddled.

I pretty much used the Deer core students + Petra + Dorothea + Flayn, and was pleased with how they turned out. Lysithea is a god damn murder machine and you'd be doing a disservice to yourself to not use her!
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1409 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:11 pm

tydett wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

I finished Golden Deer. The main story itself is pretty fine. It's some of the side details about characters in the house that apparently show up in other routes that leaves me a bit befuddled.

I pretty much used the Deer core students + Petra + Dorothea + Flayn, and was pleased with how they turned out. Lysithea is a god damn murder machine and you'd be doing a disservice to yourself to not use her!

She has come out of no-where the last month or so to just wallop whatever's in front of her with any weapon I give her. Just a beast.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1410 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Aug 9, 2019 12:13 am

I'm not purposefully recruiting much...I like Blue Lions more than enough as is. Working on Petra then am probably feeling good.

I heard Lysithea was S rank. I'll plan to use her if I do a second playthrough. I already feel overpowered.

Haven't been able to play much the past few days. I think I'm still Chapter 8. Plan to play a lot this weekend.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1411 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Aug 9, 2019 1:22 am

MikeIsGood wrote:I'm not purposefully recruiting much...I like Blue Lions more than enough as is. Working on Petra then am probably feeling good.

I heard Lysithea was S rank. I'll plan to use her if I do a second playthrough. I already feel overpowered.

Haven't been able to play much the past few days. I think I'm still Chapter 8. Plan to play a lot this weekend.

TBH I recruited everyone I could for two reasons: I'm a collector/ADD/must min-max everything kinda player, and also I really didn't wanna kill all these people I'd gotten to know.

Weirdly, at least for me, I literally have zero idea who I'm gonna S rank. Most of the students sorta suck? Think it's gonna come down to Catherine, Shamir, or Petra. Just noticed you can S rank Rhea but I don't trust the church at all.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1412 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Aug 9, 2019 1:25 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:I'm not purposefully recruiting much...I like Blue Lions more than enough as is. Working on Petra then am probably feeling good.

TBH I recruited everyone I could for two reasons: I'm a collector/ADD/must min-max everything kinda player, and also I really didn't wanna kill all these people I'd gotten to know.

Weirdly, at least for me, I literally have zero idea who I'm gonna S rank. Most of the students sorta suck? Think it's gonna come down to Catherine, Shamir, or Petra. Just noticed you can S rank Rhea but I don't trust the church at all.

Just to be clear (which you might understand), the S rank I reference is a loose, subjective ranking of general character tier. Lots of sites say Lysithea is basically the best non-hero.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1413 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Aug 9, 2019 1:32 am

MikeIsGood wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Just to be clear (which you might understand), the S rank I reference is a loose, subjective ranking of general character tier. Lots of sites say Lysithea is basically the best non-hero.

Ohhh so no marriage with the main character in this one? Huh.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1414 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Aug 9, 2019 1:44 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Hmm, not sure. I'm no where near far enough. I think Mercedes is my only A right now. But this has nothing to do with in-game rankings. It's basically just a bunch of VG sites or YouTubers classifying characters using the same sort of tier ranking from in-game. The trend has actually carried over into SSB, too (e.g. https://www.gamesradar.com/super-smash-bros-ultimate-tier-list/)
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1415 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Aug 9, 2019 1:52 am

MikeIsGood wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:

Hmm, not sure. I'm no where near far enough. I think Mercedes is my only A right now. But this has nothing to do with in-game rankings. It's basically just a bunch of VG sites or YouTubers classifying characters using the same sort of tier ranking from in-game. The trend has actually carried over into SSB, too (e.g. https://www.gamesradar.com/super-smash-bros-ultimate-tier-list/)

Ohh.

So I just looked it up and it's what I thought. S rank is like the previous FE games: it's a marriage class. The only character who can get married in this game is Blyleth (your character). It's a disappointment and I don't know why they didn't open up marriage and paralogues to the others.

Regardless, I think I'll be sex'n up Catherine, Shamir, or Petra. Lysithea just seems too, I dunno, young.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1416 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Aug 9, 2019 3:19 pm

To those playing FE, do you try to keep up all your crew? Like I could just blow through the entire game with a group of eight that I put all my time and resources into, but I never do it. I'm always taking on quests and paralogues and bringing along the weakest of the group to level them up.

Maybe not the best tactical idea? But I really don't want to leave anyone behind. I'm curious what other people do.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1417 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Aug 9, 2019 4:03 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:To those playing FE, do you try to keep up all your crew? Like I could just blow through the entire game with a group of eight that I put all my time and resources into, but I never do it. I'm always taking on quests and paralogues and bringing along the weakest of the group to level them up.

Maybe not the best tactical idea? But I really don't want to leave anyone behind. I'm curious what other people do.

I feel so overpowered and overleveled right now that when I do the paralogues and quests I tend to focus on the characters I less use. So right now I have everyone around level 20-22, with enemies around level 15. Lol.
tydett
General Manager

Post#1418 » by tydett » Fri Aug 9, 2019 8:59 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:To those playing FE, do you try to keep up all your crew? Like I could just blow through the entire game with a group of eight that I put all my time and resources into, but I never do it. I'm always taking on quests and paralogues and bringing along the weakest of the group to level them up.

In the last chapter for GD, you'll have enough spots for the whole house + 3 other characters. So that's... 13? Definitely don't need to keep up with as many units as you have in the past.

As far as the killing characters you've grown used to at the academy, I will say I didn't really feel anything (and killed many, many characters as I didn't recruit many) when they died, but I understand where you're coming from too. There was definitely one character I actually took joy in killing though. That one sucked and continues to suck ass even after death.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,887

Post#1419 » by jschligs » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:49 pm

99% sure I left my Switch on my flight from MIA to Key West, that or at the Airbnb. Pretty pissed at myself as I’m usually really good at making sure I have everything.

He’s hoping they find it in their 30 day window, otherwise I’ll be getting the new one when it comes out...
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1420 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:45 pm

jschligs wrote:99% sure I left my Switch on my flight from MIA to Key West, that or at the Airbnb. Pretty pissed at myself as I’m usually really good at making sure I have everything.

He’s hoping they find it in their 30 day window, otherwise I’ll be getting the new one when it comes out...

Damn, that sucks man. Not a good trip for you. Hope someone finds and returns it.

FE Chapter 10 spoiler:
Spoiler:
Actually chapter 9, but wanted to be safe. So right after pops dies, Lonnie finally wants to have our relationship B conversation. It obviously has no batting or change depending upon his death, considering that it ends with her being mad I don’t appreciate him, saying she’s his real apprentice, and storming off in a rage fit.

So that’s a bad look and **** her :) But in all seriousness it’s disappointing they don’t take something that major into consideration with the side-conversations.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks