ImageImageImage

The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

tsmith
Sixth Man
And1: 908

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III 

Post#921 » by tsmith » Thu Aug 8, 2019 12:34 pm

Can someone turn this back into a Simmons thread, not a mega Australia vs America who's more racist contest.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#922 » by Simmons25 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 12:37 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
Complete and utter ignorance and that dude has the nerve to name himself after Ben? Smh.

Here we have a bunch of Americans that know nothing about Australia saying people of colour are still treated poorly with absolutely zero evidence or life experience in Australia to back it up :lol: :lol:

And just for the record... I've already asked the Moderators on the forum several days ago if I can change my username. I no longer want to carry and support the name of a race baiter hell bent on creating racial division in my country. I'll continue to support Philly but I won't be supporting Ben anymore.

Lol yes..the aboriginal people are soooooooò happy about how their community are being treated right? And so are the muslims and black community which is why black lives matter were started in the country.....stop living in denial as it only makes you look hella suspect.

I have to read that about 5 times because it was so ridiculous. You think Black Lives Matter was started in Australia?

BLM doesn’t even exist in Australia.
notericjr
Sophomore
And1: 132

Post#923 » by notericjr » Thu Aug 8, 2019 12:55 pm

tsmith wrote:Can someone turn this back into a Simmons thread, not a mega Australia vs America who's more racist contest.

word. i'm done talking about it as well.

all we need is more jump shot footage to come out and we'll forget this all happened. :D
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,818

Post#924 » by Phila Tough » Thu Aug 8, 2019 2:20 pm

GB is full of haters lol. Luka had gotten so overrated this past season
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#925 » by Sixerscan » Thu Aug 8, 2019 3:13 pm

Simmons25 wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
phillynative wrote:
Not just a rapper but a "gangster rapper" that seemed odd :noway: .

Complete and utter ignorance and that dude has the nerve to name himself after Ben? Smh.

Here we have a bunch of Americans that know nothing about Australia saying people of colour are still treated poorly with absolutely zero evidence or life experience in Australia to back it up :lol: :lol:

And just for the record... I've already asked the Moderators on the forum several days ago if I can change my username. I no longer want to carry and support the name of a race baiter hell bent on creating racial division in my country. I'll continue to support Philly but I won't be supporting Ben anymore.

Plenty of people have brought up the aboriginals stuff, and frankly your position on this that it’s impossible for any Australian to ever discriminate against someone based on how they look is so obviously wrong it’s not really worth refuting.

Maybe the bouncer wasn’t even Australian? Maybe he was one of those racist Americans or from some other country where this phenomenon exists. Or maybe his boss is foreign and he put pressure on the guy to act that way. Or 1,000 different scenarios. Maybe it was something more complicated that active racial animus.

It’s just pretty obvious you’re projecting here.

And I’m not sure if he was treated differently because he was wearing a hoodie (which, btw, I assume probably costs like $500) but I think anyone who is capable of putting themselves in the shoes of another person can realize why that might be frustrating and want to change. Australia is certainly no stranger to incorporating culture from other countries (basketball being a great example) drawing the line at designer hoodies seems odd.
notericjr
Sophomore
And1: 132

Post#926 » by notericjr » Thu Aug 8, 2019 9:23 pm

Phila Tough wrote:GB is full of haters lol. Luka had gotten so overrated this past season

apparently because luka can shoot, everything else ben does better than him is irrelevant. and no one ever wanted to talk about defense lol
downtownpie
Pro Prospect
And1: 399

Post#927 » by downtownpie » Thu Aug 8, 2019 10:19 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:

Plenty of people have brought up the aboriginals stuff, and frankly your position on this that it’s impossible for any Australian to ever discriminate against someone based on how they look is so obviously wrong it’s not really worth refuting.

Maybe the bouncer wasn’t even Australian? Maybe he was one of those racist Americans or from some other country where this phenomenon exists. Or maybe his boss is foreign and he put pressure on the guy to act that way. Or 1,000 different scenarios. Maybe it was something more complicated that active racial animus.

And I’m not sure if he was treated differently because he was wearing a hoodie (which, btw, I assume probably costs like $500) but I think anyone who is capable of putting themselves in the shoes of another person can realize why that might be frustrating and want to change. Australia is certainly no stranger to incorporating culture from other countries (basketball being a great example) drawing the line at designer hoodies seems odd.

So hoodies, camo and no id are ok.

I guess there must be some other reason for the white people who were earlier rejected because it couldnt have been their clothes. They dont get news coverage.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#928 » by Tomjas » Fri Aug 9, 2019 12:47 am

downtownpie wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:

I guess there must be some other reason for the white people who were earlier rejected because it couldnt have been their clothes. They dont get news coverage.

I am white & over 25

Last year, I was refused entry into Crown despite being neatly attired and staying in the hotel

Obviously had nothing to do with the fact that I been on the booze for about 12 hours so I will be taking the matter up with my local WLM chapter
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#929 » by LloydFree » Fri Aug 9, 2019 1:09 am

Tomjas wrote:
downtownpie wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

I am white & over 25

Last year, I was refused entry into Crown despite being neatly attired and staying in the hotel

Obviously had nothing to do with the fact that I been on the booze for about 12 hours so I will be taking the matter up with my local WLM chapter

Congratulations
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#930 » by Simmons25 » Fri Aug 9, 2019 4:06 am

Sixerscan wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:

Nope my position is absolutely not that no Australian can ever discriminate. Everyone discriminates... it's called stereotyping. White, Black, Yellow, brown... everyone stereotypes as a result of experience or learned behaviour.

What I am saying that taking your racial insecurities you've had from living in the US and taking them into a foreign country and automatically believing they apply there is ridiculous... and dare I say it a little racist. Ben is effectively guilty of the exact racism he is claiming he is the victim of, by stereotyping a security guard as being racist for asking a black man for ID.

And for the record... the security guard was Indian. He was darker than Ben was. He was just doing his job which is that he is required by law to check the identification of everyone who looks 25 years old or younger and that they must ask for ID. And wouldn't you believe it.... that's exactly what he did. He pulled over the 2 guys that actually were under the age of 25 and asked them for ID... and didn't ask the only guy who actually happened to be OVER the age of 25. Miraculous how right the security guard was.

Race hustlers though don't see facts. They just actively look for racism even when it's just not there. Ben got it wrong. He should have come out and said in hindsight he didn't know about the Under 25 rule and it wasn't as it seemed. But nope he doubled down even further and now his idiot sister is out there calling white people racist as well in the last 24 hours... just to top it off.

Ben deserves all the negative publicity he is now getting and has brought it on himself. I reckon the best decision he ever made was pulling out of those exhibition games against the US next week... because I can just imagine the uproar in the US at him being booed by 50,000 fans every time he touches the ball in Australia.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#931 » by Sixerscan » Fri Aug 9, 2019 12:45 pm

Simmons25 wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:

Nope my position is absolutely not that no Australian can ever discriminate. Everyone discriminates... it's called stereotyping. White, Black, Yellow, brown... everyone stereotypes as a result of experience or learned behaviour.

What I am saying that taking your racial insecurities you've had from living in the US and taking them into a foreign country and automatically believing they apply there is ridiculous... and dare I say it a little racist. Ben is effectively guilty of the exact racism he is claiming he is the victim of, by stereotyping a security guard as being racist for asking a black man for ID.

And for the record... the security guard was Indian. He was darker than Ben was. He was just doing his job which is that he is required by law to check the identification of everyone who looks 25 years old or younger and that they must ask for ID. And wouldn't you believe it.... that's exactly what he did. He pulled over the 2 guys that actually were under the age of 25 and asked them for ID... and didn't ask the only guy who actually happened to be OVER the age of 25. Miraculous how right the security guard was.

Race hustlers though don't see facts. They just actively look for racism even when it's just not there. Ben got it wrong. He should have come out and said in hindsight he didn't know about the Under 25 rule and it wasn't as it seemed. But nope he doubled down even further and now his idiot sister is out there calling white people racist as well in the last 24 hours... just to top it off.

Ben deserves all the negative publicity he is now getting and has brought it on himself. I reckon the best decision he ever made was pulling out of those exhibition games against the US next week... because I can just imagine the uproar in the US at him being booed by 50,000 fans every time he touches the ball in Australia.

Yeah you don't know any of this stuff man. You weren't there, you don't know if he was just doing his job, you don't know if someone told him to do his job in an inappropriate way, you don't know if there was some legitimate reason for Ben to feel he was targeted. You're obviously projecting your general thoughts on this very complicated topic in a specific situation, because you're coming at it with preconceived notions that Ben is making it up.

Just because you read about something on the internet doesn't mean you have to have an opinion on it.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,707

Post#932 » by Sixersftw » Fri Aug 9, 2019 1:09 pm

This thread really fell into the no spin zone since last I read.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
toshiro_mifune
Freshman
And1: 101

Post#933 » by toshiro_mifune » Fri Aug 9, 2019 1:15 pm

Simmons25 wrote:
...as I said earlier Simmons has hitched his wagon to a guy in Australia that is one of the most divisive and disliked people in the country. When you understand who this guy is... you will understand why Simmons suddenly claiming to be racially profiled has people wondering what this guy's end game is.

Are you referring to 2014 Australian of the year Adam Goodes? yeah, super divisive guy. :crazy: you know who doesn’t like him? racist pricks. and you definitely sound like one of those mate.
downtownpie
Pro Prospect

Post#934 » by downtownpie » Fri Aug 9, 2019 1:34 pm

toshiro_mifune wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:
...as I said earlier Simmons has hitched his wagon to a guy in Australia that is one of the most divisive and disliked people in the country. When you understand who this guy is... you will understand why Simmons suddenly claiming to be racially profiled has people wondering what this guy's end game is.

Are you referring to 2014 Australian of the year Adam Goodes? yeah, super divisive guy. :crazy: you know who doesn’t like him? racist pricks. and you definitely sound like one of those mate.

For our American friends, Goodes was a very good AFL player.

Unfortunately too often he played like Vontaze Burfict hitting players late or from behind and the league constantly ignored it. He became very unpopular with opposition fans.

Now Simmons has reportedly bankrolled his documentary into racism.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,769

Post#935 » by michaelm » Fri Aug 9, 2019 2:00 pm

downtownpie wrote:
toshiro_mifune wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:

Unfortunately too often he played like Vontaze Burfict hitting players late or from behind and the league constantly ignored it. He became very unpopular with opposition fans.

Spoken like a true Victorian AFL fan, perhaps a Collingwood man like that idiot Eddie. I agree the anti-Goodes stuff was not just racism, there was a significant amount of Victorian parochialism involved.

Goodes was a great player, playing several quite different positions, and if he played for free kicks as was the narrative at the time It was strange he persisted at doing so given he hardly received any and is a very intelligent man; he managed the MVP equivalent Brownlow medal and two titles with no help at all from officialdom.
downtownpie
Pro Prospect

Post#936 » by downtownpie » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:02 am

michaelm wrote:
downtownpie wrote:
toshiro_mifune wrote:

Spoken like a true Victorian AFL fan, perhaps a Collingwood man like that idiot Eddie. I agree the anti-Goodes stuff was not just racism, there was a significant amount of Victorian parochialism involved.

Goodes was a great player, playing several quite different positions, and if he played for free kicks as was the narrative at the time It was strange he persisted at doing so given he hardly received any and is a very intelligent man; he managed the MVP equivalent Brownlow medal and two titles with no help at all from officialdom.

Yep he was a great player. Just liked using his knees running into people when they werent looking.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,769

Post#937 » by michaelm » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:01 am

downtownpie wrote:
michaelm wrote:
downtownpie wrote:

Yep he was a great player. Just liked using his knees running into people when they werent looking.

That’s the new nonsense narrative ?. The guy is a Brownlow medal winner, which is best and fairest. As I recall at the time it was that he played for free kicks, particularly from Eddie, and that an indigenous war dance was provocative; the Maori equivalent in NZ where the indigines have a treaty is celebrated and performed by their national team, the All-Blacks rugby team, before every game.

“For our American friends” Goodes objected to being called an ape by a spectator during the indigenous round meant to celebrate the indigenous contribution to the sport, in which indigenous players are heavily over-represented, and the vilification of him started after that incident.

That said, the situation of the Australian Aboriginals (or originals as one proud guy once pointed out to me was what he was) is more akin to the Inuit or American “Indians” than Afro-Americans. Historically there has been no prejudice against people of (more recent) African extraction in Australia, admittedly possibly because historically there were very few to be prejudiced against, and the few who were here in my youth, mostly sportsmen such as American basketball players like Dave Simmons or West Indian cricketers were feted rather than discriminated against. The Murdoch press following their usual modus operandi everywhere are now running an African gangs in Melbourne narrative, so if Ben is motivated by that power to him imo, but i still don’t think there is much in the way of racism against black Afro-Americans, particularly Afro-American (or Afro-Australian) sportsmen.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#938 » by PhillyPhilly » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:08 am

Simmons25 wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:

Lol yes..the aboriginal people are soooooooò happy about how their community are being treated right? And so are the muslims and black community which is why black lives matter were started in the country.....stop living in denial as it only makes you look hella suspect.

I have to read that about 5 times because it was so ridiculous. You think Black Lives Matter was started in Australia?

Lol you really are totally clueless aren't you? No-one said blm started In Australia and secondly you need to do some research because there IS a blm chapter In Aus thank you very much.
downtownpie
Pro Prospect

Post#939 » by downtownpie » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:12 am

michaelm wrote:
downtownpie wrote:
michaelm wrote:Spoken like a true Victorian AFL fan, perhaps a Collingwood man like that idiot Eddie. I agree the anti-Goodes stuff was not just racism, there was a significant amount of Victorian parochialism involved.

That’s the new nonsense narrative ?. The guy is a Brownlow medal winner, which is best and fairest. As I recall at the time it was that he played for free kicks, particularly from Eddie, and that an indigenous war dance was provocative; the Maori equivalent in NZ where the indigines have a treaty is celebrated and performed by their national team, the All-Blacks rugby team, before every game.

“For our American friends” Goodes objected to being called an ape by a spectator during the indigenous round meant to celebrate the indigenous contribution to the sport, in which indigenous players are heavily over-represented, and the vilification of him started after that incident.

That said, the situation of the Australian Aboriginals (or originals as one proud guy once pointed out to me was what he was) is more akin to the Inuit or American “Indians” than Afro-Americans. Historically there has been no prejudice against people of (more recent) African extraction in Australia, admittedly possibly because historically there were very few to be prejudiced against, and the few who were here in my youth, mostly sportsmen such as American basketball players like Dave Simmons or West Indian cricketers were feted rather than discriminated against. The Murdoch press following their usual modus operandi everywhere are now running an African gangs in Melbourne narrative, so if Ben is motivated by that power to him imo, but i still don’t think there is much in the way of racism against black Afro-Americans, particularly Afro-American (or Afro-Australian) sportsmen.

Lol. It started a long time before the war dance. As I said he was a great player but he also ahad a dirty streak which many people didnt like. You choose to ignore that and believe everyone who doesn't like him is a racist ( some probably are). Good for you.

Time to discuss basketball.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#940 » by BullyKing » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:16 am

PhillyPhilly wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:

Lol you really are totally clueless aren't you? No-one said blm started In Australia and secondly you need to do some research because there IS a blm chapter In Aus thank you very much.

Don't do this
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers