bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#701 » by bizarro » Fri Aug 9, 2019 1:30 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
bizarro wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
Interesting. I haven't heard of this one.

So I followed the Low FODMAP diet for about 14 months - which is about 11 months longer than you're supposed to - and found moderate success with it, but was miserable because of how restrictive it is. And the success was still just moderate. But it's been such a positive thing for my mental state to be successfully reintroducing foods again that I had been without for over a year. There are still some I have found seem to be triggers for me - it's still a work in progress, and I imagine will be forever.

FODMAP isn’t enough whatsoever. But if you’re not prepared for restrictive don’t even consider SCD. Most doctors, frankly, including so called Gastroenterologists, don’t know anything about the gut. They just don’t. Your success is yours. Run with it.

Oh trust me, I know that last part all too well. It's why I floundered for almost a year and a half with minimal progress - Georgia is terrible. The healthcare here is a **** disaster. Between PCPs and gastros I had been to 4 before just **** giving up (and it takes months to get a **** 10 minute appointment).

I am fortunate enough to be able to be a healthcare tourist and I have traveled back to Wisconsin to see a doc to get better attention from UW; time, consideration, expertise, and overall care. I'm so glad I finally did it. I wish I had done it sooner, but glad I did it at all.

I'm not prepared for that level of restrictiveness, so I won't consider that path. I appreciate the info regardless. Glad to be on a path of great improvement recently.

Yeah, Georgia is a quagmire. But, honestly, the majority of my experience in the Bio-Medical wing up the entire East Coast was a disappointment. It’s inconceivable to me in this day and age an MD can still propose the body isn’t an entirely interconnected system. I literally had an MD tell me, when I was learning more and more via Functional Medicine, “...I don’t know what to tell you, all these symptoms are separate...”. I laughed. Walked out and haven’t seen an actual doctor since for anything other than blood work - which I monitor on my own and track like I would my own vehicle. Best of luck moving forward! And remember, even if you relapse for a period, you know you now have a means to regain some semblance of normality. It may not be the same getting back to that place but your body knows how to get find the mean regression. I’m legitimately happy for you. :)
talbert
Junior
And1: 204

Post#702 » by talbert » Fri Aug 9, 2019 2:00 pm

AussieBuck wrote:
talbert wrote:The wedding stuff is out of control in the United States. I don't get where all these people got the idea that they deserve these huge elaborate weddings. Furthermore the expectation that friends and family spend copious amount of their precious time, energy, and money to make a bride and groom's day "magical".

I'm currently dealing with a situation where I'm getting pretty sick (I have Crohn's Disease), and my girlfriend's brother is getting married at the end of the month. They expect my girlfriend and I's lives to revolve around this wedding. Every damn weekend it's something... A "couples" shower, a picnic for them, a party to let the wedding party get to know each other. It just never ends. On top of it all the two that are getting married bailed on helping us move to go camping!

Anyhow, I have to have a colonoscopy the day before the wedding. I didn't plan it like that, it just happened. My girlfriend's mother is adamant that my girlfriend needs to take the day off work to help with the wedding (whatever that entails), and not help me with the colonoscopy. My girlfriend is afraid of her mother and that's exactly what's happening. My mom will take me it will be fine, but damn do these people have their priorities screwed up.

All I'm trying to say is **** those people. Rant over. Thanks for listening!

Don't marry the girl who sides with her mother over you. Free advice priced appropriately

You're right. I've dated a lot of girls with overbearing families. Not sure if its a Wisconsin thing or what. My family isn't from here and they're just so hands off with everything. Don't get me wrong the support is there if I ask for it, but my parents rarely give me their opinion of how I should live my life.

It just felt so good to write that up and hit send. It was very therapeutic.
talbert
Junior

Post#703 » by talbert » Fri Aug 9, 2019 2:08 pm

bizarro wrote:FODMAP isn’t enough whatsoever. But if you’re not prepared for restrictive don’t even consider SCD. Most doctors, frankly, including so called Gastroenterologists, don’t know anything about the gut. They just don’t. Your success is yours. Run with it.

I totally agree with what you're saying about doctors. I've been working on the autoimmune protocol diet (AIP), and when I told the doctor she seemed almost upset about it. She's told me for years that there is no correlation between diet and Crohn's disease. :crazy:

I just can't believe that it. I've made an appointment to see a naturopathic doctor at the end of the month. Not sure if I'll get the answers I'm looking for, but I figure it can't hurt.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,315

Post#704 » by jute2003 » Fri Aug 9, 2019 2:13 pm

talbert wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:
talbert wrote:The wedding stuff is out of control in the United States. I don't get where all these people got the idea that they deserve these huge elaborate weddings. Furthermore the expectation that friends and family spend copious amount of their precious time, energy, and money to make a bride and groom's day "magical".

I'm currently dealing with a situation where I'm getting pretty sick (I have Crohn's Disease), and my girlfriend's brother is getting married at the end of the month. They expect my girlfriend and I's lives to revolve around this wedding. Every damn weekend it's something... A "couples" shower, a picnic for them, a party to let the wedding party get to know each other. It just never ends. On top of it all the two that are getting married bailed on helping us move to go camping!

Anyhow, I have to have a colonoscopy the day before the wedding. I didn't plan it like that, it just happened. My girlfriend's mother is adamant that my girlfriend needs to take the day off work to help with the wedding (whatever that entails), and not help me with the colonoscopy. My girlfriend is afraid of her mother and that's exactly what's happening. My mom will take me it will be fine, but damn do these people have their priorities screwed up.

All I'm trying to say is **** those people. Rant over. Thanks for listening!

Don't marry the girl who sides with her mother over you. Free advice priced appropriately

You're right. I've dated a lot of girls with overbearing families. Not sure if its a Wisconsin thing or what. My family isn't from here and they're just so hands off with everything. Don't get me wrong the support is there if I ask for it, but my parents rarely give me their opinion of how I should live my life.

It just felt so good to write that up and hit send. It was very therapeutic.

Maybe it's a lower percentage...I dont know. There is definitely no shortage of overbearing and/or neurotic mothers in Wisconsin though.
....misread at first. Basically agreeing that there are plenty of crazy moms.
only a fan, only an opinion
vegaspacker
Analyst
And1: 963

Post#705 » by vegaspacker » Fri Aug 9, 2019 2:29 pm

Well, I like to share a few stories now and again.

A few months ago in a local ER, we had one of those foreign object situations that required conscious sedation. I'll change a few of particulars, but you'll get the jist of things.

A young woman and her significant other revealed that a toy was impacted in her #2 nethers. X-ray revealed a small device that was ready to 'make the turn'.

So we primed the 'Michael Jackson night time remedy' to sedate the patient. As it is administrated, simple questions are used to determine effectivenss of the dosage given. 'Where are you from, what do you do...:

Say that Colorado and 'HS freshman boys' team coach' were the answers, and then a state of sleep followed...

Successful removal of the the device was attained within moments. The sedation is very fast acting and has a very short duration. Similar questions are asked after the procedure to determine recovery from the sedative.

The answers post removal were very curious. The Colorado reference and employment situation were confirmed. And, also a tidbit about moving away from that situation because of 'particular' interests in one of the team members. Let's just say that the interest was a bit more graphic and had to be ran away from. A big 'Woah' was collectively shared among those in attendance.

I have been involved in quite a few of these procedures over the years. One of note involved a male with a rather large Thermos in his #2 nethers. Unfortunately for him, when took a seat on it, with the lid removed, created a negative pressure gradient that would not allow us to dislodge it. He had to go to surgery, and became the proud owner of a colostomy bag for a little while.

Happy Friday eerbody!!!
I needs shades for this future thing we owning..... 8-) 8-) 8-)
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,719

Post#706 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri Aug 9, 2019 2:35 pm

talbert wrote:
bizarro wrote:FODMAP isn’t enough whatsoever. But if you’re not prepared for restrictive don’t even consider SCD. Most doctors, frankly, including so called Gastroenterologists, don’t know anything about the gut. They just don’t. Your success is yours. Run with it.

I totally agree with what you're saying about doctors. I've been working on the autoimmune protocol diet (AIP), and when I told the doctor she seemed almost upset about it. She's told me for years that there is no correlation between diet and Crohn's disease. :crazy:

I just can't believe that it. I've made an appointment to see a naturopathic doctor at the end of the month. Not sure if I'll get the answers I'm looking for, but I figure it can't hurt.

I think a lot of the diet-related Crohn's stuff is to avoid things getting caught down there. So seeds, nuts, broccoli and the like are probably best to avoid because little kernals and chunks can easily get stuck when you're inflamed. I had no issues at all for like 6 years and one day something got stuck and I had to go the ER. That ended up with surgery and removal of 7 inches of colon to prevent it from happening again. Fit as a fiddle now (knock on wood). Having said that, beyond the genetic component my gut (pun intended) tells me there is something about a modern western diet that contributes to it manifesting in the first place. There is some evidence to support this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29050646
The highest reported prevalence values were in Europe (ulcerative colitis 505 per 100 000 in Norway; Crohn's disease 322 per 100 000 in Germany) and North America (ulcerative colitis 286 per 100 000 in the USA; Crohn's disease 319 per 100 000 in Canada)... Since 1990, incidence has been rising in newly industrialised countries in Africa, Asia, and South America, including Brazil

So as countries get more westernized they see more incidences of these inflammatory diseases.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#707 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri Aug 9, 2019 2:37 pm

Also, I trust a GI doc more than the internet. But as with any profession, some docs are better than others. If you want to try new diets then I recommend finding one that has some evidence to support it. And by that I mean someone's tested it on a group of people with a control group, the results have been published and peer-reviewed. Of course, sometimes you get desperate and just want to try anything. I totally understand that as well.
vegaspacker
Analyst
And1: 963

Post#708 » by vegaspacker » Fri Aug 9, 2019 2:44 pm

Inflammation is a the main driver in intestinal issues like diverticulosis, diverticulitis, and enterocolitis. Stay hydrated and find what your hyper sensitivities are. Consider an allergist to determine what triggers these events..
I needs shades for this future thing we owning..... 8-) 8-) 8-)
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,231

Post#709 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Aug 9, 2019 4:06 pm

I think people spend too much time looking the "right" diet. Eat lots of fruits and veggies, limit red meat, sugar and processed crap. Exercise. I realize that certain conditions require special diets but for the most part it's pretty easy to eat well.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
jmart762
Pro Prospect
And1: 430

Post#710 » by jmart762 » Fri Aug 9, 2019 4:17 pm

You gotta find what works for you. I have met people that are carnivores and it has surprisingly done wonders for them (mainly some autoimmune issues). They're actually more fat-vores than anything, I think 70+% of calories are from fat.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,231

Post#711 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Aug 9, 2019 4:40 pm

I know some dumb people who are on meds for various things, high blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol, etc... who don't change a thing in their lifestyle because the "meds take care of it".
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#712 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri Aug 9, 2019 4:51 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I think people spend too much time looking the "right" diet. Eat lots of fruits and veggies, limit red meat, sugar and processed crap. Exercise. I realize that certain conditions require special diets but for the most part it's pretty easy to eat well.

I think that's the key. Processed foods are horrible for you.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,176

Post#713 » by Iheartfootball » Fri Aug 9, 2019 4:53 pm

Stressors activate our immune system into action as well. Mind/body connection.
talbert
Junior

Post#714 » by talbert » Fri Aug 9, 2019 5:37 pm

Iheartfootball wrote:Stressors activate our immune system into action as well. Mind/body connection.

This is just so incredibly true!
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#715 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri Aug 9, 2019 8:05 pm

Iheartfootball wrote:Stressors activate our immune system into action as well. Mind/body connection.

Yup. Excessive stress is not good for your health.
Zeezprah
Analyst
And1: 1,569

Post#716 » by Zeezprah » Fri Aug 9, 2019 9:25 pm

Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#717 » by Ill-yasova » Fri Aug 9, 2019 10:33 pm

Anybody out there drinking a New Glarus Kid Kölsch? Hot damn that’s a fine summer beer!
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,917

Post#718 » by stellation » Fri Aug 9, 2019 10:40 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:I think people spend too much time looking the "right" diet. Eat lots of fruits and veggies, limit red meat, sugar and processed crap. Exercise. I realize that certain conditions require special diets but for the most part it's pretty easy to eat well.

I was listening to a round table discussion a while ago, Michael Pollan was on it and gave the simplest example of processed vs. not processed food consumption by talking about eating an apple vs. juicing an apple. From memory he explained it as;
1. If you just eat the apple, you get fibre- juice it and you don't (he made the point of "ever have to pull a bit of apple from between your teeth? That's because there's fibre").
2. If you just eat the apple the sugars stay in the cells then are slowly released on consumption, if you juice it they're stripped out and are immediately released on consumption.

He said there's more benefits to just eating the apple than that, but they're such simple/obvious things for people to stop and go "yes, that's clearly better" because you don't really have to expand on "it's good to get fibre in your diet and not have sugar rushes". He suggested people think about that simple example when considering every single processed thing they might consume, because they can always find some form of parallel.
#FreeChuckDiesel
bizarro
RealGM

Post#719 » by bizarro » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:44 am

Knock it off - MD
bizarro
RealGM

Post#720 » by bizarro » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:50 am

stellation wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:

I was listening to a round table discussion a while ago, Michael Pollan was on it and gave the simplest example of processed vs. not processed food consumption by talking about eating an apple vs. juicing an apple. From memory he explained it as;
1. If you just eat the apple, you get fibre- juice it and you don't (he made the point of "ever have to pull a bit of apple from between your teeth? That's because there's fibre").
2. If you just eat the apple the sugars stay in the cells then are slowly released on consumption, if you juice it they're stripped out and are immediately released on consumption.

He said there's more benefits to just eating the apple than that, but they're such simple/obvious things for people to stop and go "yes, that's clearly better" because you don't really have to expand on "it's good to get fibre in your diet and not have sugar rushes". He suggested people think about that simple example when considering every single processed thing they might consume, because they can always find some form of parallel.

It is NEVER that simple man. All you folks who can eat to their heart’s content really shouldn’t pretend to know how to speak about food and its impacts on a person’s body. Everyone is biochemically different. Every gastrointestinal scenario is different.

I suffered the worst case of Salmonella in Mininnesota’s recorded history. The Department of Health said they’d never seen anything like it. Of 50 people hospitalized, I was the worst: lost 60 lbs in 1 WEEK and suffered post-bacterial ‘invasions’ into my spine and biofilms. This is what you call a stealth virus. It lingers and impacts my life on the daily.

No amount of apples, probiotics, pre-biotics, or foo foo from Michael Pollan is going to make sense of it. I’ve read them all. They don’t know.

Not everyone can simply eat vegetables, or sauerkraut, and take a nice (most likely inert) expensive probiotic. It just doesn’t work like that.

EDIT: I now realize you were simply talking about processed vs unprocessed - derp derp :lol:

Did you know the potato has a higher glycemic load than an apple? I bet you didn’t.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks