ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,882

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#1961 » by mojo13 » Fri Aug 9, 2019 4:13 pm

tout court wrote:Bhullar, Bhullar, Bhullar ...

Anyone but Klassen.

Get the retired Bobby Sacre out of retirement.

Why do we not know why Nicholson, Bennett and Hanlan were not even on the invite list when Rautins was even though he told CB he wouldn't/couldn't play according to Leo?

Instead of being stenographers and going to their pre-arranged media availability where they get a bunch of cliched nonsense, why don't the beat writers covering this team (Smith, Grange, Murphy, etc) actually do some investigative work for once? I know it would inconvenience their cozy arrangement. But they might actually come closer to fulfilling the role news media purportedly play in our society.

Did any of them reach out to the players who declined to get a comment as to why they did so? I mean how much load will Stauskas have to manage next year in Europe?!?

And if someone like Michael Meeks is on CB staff to build relationships with these guys at a young age in order to get buy in at the senior level, then he along with the GM appear to be failing miserably. What are they doing wrong?

Or, if pride of country just isn't a big thing for this generation, that's fine, maybe even a good thing, but as reporters do something to find out the why. Have a Network moment where you're disgusted with your slovenly selves and you actually get to the root of things. Jesus!

I believe the Bhullar comment to be a joke - but if not, he is pretty terrible and playing at a pretty low level (much lower than Klassen).

Klassen is not the worst thing in the world for a depth bigman - hopefully he is only there to bang around a few minutes a game and at worst provide some insurance against injuries and foul trouble. He has been an ok German BBL bigman for the past few seasons and he is on a similar level as Kyle Landry, Robert Sacre, Marc Trasolini etc. Klassen may be the best of that group for the role needed. Sacre is retired and frankly might be the worst of these four nowadays. Trasolini I really like but is smaller and more a PF. Klye Landry is semi-retired as well- didn't play pro ball this year but has been playing 3x3. I did enjoy Landry in the Qualifiers.

The real question is Nicholson, Bennett or Anthony (who I all think are better than Klassen) - I really suspect Canada Basketball in some way has alienated some (or all) of them, but assuming we'd have so much front court depth to not have kept them warm and in the mix. Anthony is pretty old and who knows about his health or ability to pick things up as an emergency call up and get in shape. We have seen an out of shape Anthony in the early Qualifiers and it is ugly (could barely dunk).

I suspect Bennett is fully focused on his redemption attempt with the Rockets. Not sure how much different he is from a Wiltjer now a days in terms of role and ability.

Nicholson is the main question to to me as he looks great in China (~45% from three on heavy volume) and the World Cup is right there in China. However he wasn't involved in any Qualifier games when boats load of CBA played for their countries and I suspect he is peeved at the program in some way. He was a regular for team Canada for many years - perhaps he feels devalued by the program in the last two years?

Conor Morgan is also a serious question here - young big on the upswing. Playing at a high level in the ACB and should be part of the programs future. Where is he?

But all in Klassen may be the beefiest of all of those mentioned above at 6'10 and 254. If we needed someone to bang with JV, Domas, Baynes, Bogut for short runs - he could be better than some of the others.
frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Post#1962 » by frumble » Fri Aug 9, 2019 4:32 pm

With Olynyk out for tonight, likely that we see Klassen and/or Omoruyi?
I believe those two and Patterson are the only guys listed as being in camp who didn't play Wednesday.
gundysmullet
Rookie
And1: 644

Post#1963 » by gundysmullet » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:32 am

Is there a link for tonight’s game? Thank you
GoRaptors
Freshman
And1: 58

Post#1964 » by GoRaptors » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:39 am

gundysmullet wrote:Is there a link for tonight’s game? Thank you

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/canada-exhibition-fiba-world-cup-1.5236856
Valard
Sixth Man
And1: 2,902

Post#1965 » by Valard » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:25 am

Yikes. Roooough third quarter.

Offensively a disaster.
GordanFreeman
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,165

Post#1966 » by GordanFreeman » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:51 am

Wow there's alot of scrubs on this team. Is the net double rimmed too? This is painful to watch
trending
Junior
And1: 238

Post#1967 » by trending » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:37 am

where's the game ? what happened ? no news coverage ?

the year canada has wiggins, murray, barrett, tristan, shai, olynyk, powell, stauskas, etc and they can't even field a d-league team ?
theedgeam.com every saturday night
the inventor of bball was born in canada and the inventor of the phone is buried in canada
i'm also from canada
trending
Junior
And1: 238

Post#1968 » by trending » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:47 am

theedgeam.com every saturday night
the inventor of bball was born in canada and the inventor of the phone is buried in canada
i'm also from canada
mathgeek
Junior
And1: 136

Post#1969 » by mathgeek » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:59 am

Terrible offense at the end from both teams
And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,741

Post#1970 » by And1Skip » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:01 am

Man that was hard to watch. Wtf is Owen Klassen on this team when there were many other big man options ? And I’ve seen enough of Oshae Brisett to know he’s not gonna make the Raptors team but will be on the 905. He has hops but an awful shooter. And Wiltjer injured? Man...
mojo13
Veteran

Post#1971 » by mojo13 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:49 pm

Let’s hope Nigeria is good enough to keep Argentina out of the second round. As PR, DR, Venezuela and Brazil are all on the decline and bringing historically bad rosters. None are looking like too much a threat to advance. Maybe Venezuela in their garbage pool, but they have looked really bad in warm up games.
frumble
Bench Warmer

Post#1972 » by frumble » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:52 pm

Here is the box.

https://www.fibalivestats.com/u/CBNF/1314901/bs.html

Patterson and Omoruyi didn't play in either game. Anyone know if they are still in camp?

Assuming they are gone, that would be 15 players still on contention for the 12 spots (and that counts Nembhard who may need to be back on campus soon).

Do people think the cuts will be made in the next few days and only the final 12 will go to Australia?
mojo13
Veteran

Post#1973 » by mojo13 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:55 pm

frumble wrote:Here is the box.

https://www.fibalivestats.com/u/CBNF/1314901/bs.html

Patterson and Omoruyi didn't play in either game. Anyone know if they are still in camp?

Assuming they are gone, that would be 15 players still on contention for the 12 spots (and that counts Nembhard who may need to be back on campus soon).

Do people think the cuts will be made in the next few days and only the final 12 will go to Australia?

They publicly stated as many as 15 will go to Australia.
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#1974 » by gundysmullet » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:05 pm

Someone seriously needs to call out Murray and SGA on Twitter and point to the comparable American players that have committed to team USA. I am serious. Maybe some public shaming will do them some good.
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#1975 » by gundysmullet » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:26 pm

I don’t have Twitter but if someone does could you tweet this out to SGA, “De’aron Fox chose to represent his country this summer, why didn’t you?” Would love to see his excuse.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#1976 » by mojo13 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:35 pm

I don’t know if SGA is the one to be targeting. Different clubs and different agents exert pressure on this guys to not play differently. The NBA clubs can’t outright prevent a guy from playing but they can sure put pressure on them not to. Certain agents are heavily pushing against this as well.
SGA is a 2nd year player who hasn’t made his money yet and who was just traded - it sucks he isn’t playing but I can see why not, more so than others. Does OKC have any of their guys playing? The Sacramento Kings are sure ok with it. I’m most surprised with Dwight Powell after signing this extension and always seeming a committed Team Canada guy, but Cuban has always had a thing against FIBA - so maybe that is the problem. Jamal Murray is a huge disappointment too having just signed an extension and seeing Jokic and other team mates playing. And I think his injury is BS too.

We were never going to get all these guys playing no matter what. I was saying 6 to 9 was my expectation but I think we just had a really bad roll of the dice with all the iffy ones having something come up the pushed them in the wrong direction. And I’d have to say there was a snowball effect as well. My guess is that if Powell, Murray, Barrett, Brooks then SGA would have jumped on board.
frumble
Bench Warmer

Post#1977 » by frumble » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:05 pm

mojo13 wrote:They publicly stated as many as 15 will go to Australia.

Thanks, I hadn't seen that.

mojo13 wrote:I don’t know if SGA is the one to be targeting. Different clubs and different agents exert pressure on this guys to not play differently. The NBA clubs can’t outright prevent a guy from playing but they can sure put pressure on them not to. Certain agents are heavily pushing against this as well.
SGA is a 2nd year player who hasn’t made his money yet and who was just traded - it sucks he isn’t playing but I can see why not, more so than others. Does OKC have any of their guys playing? The Sacramento Kings are sure ok with it. I’m most surprised with Dwight Powell after signing this extension and always seeming a committed Team Canada guy, but Cuban has always had a thing against FIBA - so maybe that is the problem. Jamal Murray is a huge disappointment too having just signed an extension and seeing Jokic and other team mates playing. And I think his injury is BS too.

Yeah, SGA and others may have been under a lot of pressure from their teams and/or agent. And Murray has certainly been a disappointment in terms of participation since being drafted. (but at least Murray and even Lyles did show up a couple times as juniors, unlike SGA who played in 2016 but then bailed for the Worlds in 2017).

mojo13 wrote:We were never going to get all these guys playing no matter what. I was saying 6 to 9 was my expectation but I think we just had a really bad roll of the dice with all the iffy ones having something come up the pushed them in the wrong direction. And I’d have to say there was a snowball effect as well. My guess is that if Powell, Murray, Barrett, Brooks then SGA would have jumped on board.

I was more pessimistic than most and thought we would get maybe one of Murray, SGA, Wiggins, Brooks and Stauskas. Getting zero hurts. What also hurts is Barrett. He would have added little value if most of those guys had been there. But with all those guards/wings out, I think we could have used him. As bad as his shooting and decision-making were in summer league and at times at Duke, he would be a nice guy to have on the roster.

And will next summer be any different? With training camp, exhibition games, the pre-Olympic qualifying tournament, and the actual Olympics (should we make it), it won't be a short commitment. And even if we do have decent turnout, finishing first in our qualifying group of 6 (which will undoubtedly include at least one or two very good European teams), will likely be harder than it would have been to have finished second out of Americas team at the Worlds with decent participation.
TrueNorth31
Senior
And1: 356

Post#1978 » by TrueNorth31 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:36 pm

Here's what Boucher's " personal problem " is according to Steve Simmons.

"Chris Boucher is a fool for listening to his agent.

His agent believes it was a mistake for Boucher to play for Team Canada at the World Cup of basketball. He convinced Boucher, the Raptor from Montreal, that it wasn’t in his best interest to take part in the tournament, which is a rather confounding piece of logic.

Agents are talking and completely messing with the World Cup rosters of many teams, including Canada and the United States, informing them that the schedule of the World Cup, the travel and the proximity to NBA training camps makes this an unnecessary place for a player to be.

The thought process on this boggles the mind. Basically, unless there’s an injury involved, agents are telling players that you can’t properly prepare for an NBA season by playing high-level basketball. Consider the illogic of that for a moment.

Boucher is trying to make it as a Raptor. He was a Summer League all-star and a G-League MVP. The coach of the Canadian national team just happens to be Nick Nurse, Boucher’s coach with the Raptors. How better to impress the coach you need to impress for playing time than by playing for his team, for your own coach?

After meeting with Boucher more than once, Nurse wasn’t happy he chose to walk out on Canada’s camp. Nurse kept his feelings mostly to himself, but his sentiment was clear. The one guy Boucher needs on his side is now wondering who Boucher happens to be."

https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/simmons-whos-no-5-all-time-beliveau-or-sid-the-kid

Basically I agree with Simmons. Imagine the pressure NBA agents put on more established players ( remember they get 4% of the players salary) who don't need to showcase themselves like this kid. Boucher has only a $ 125,000 camp guarantee with the Raptor's. His agent appears to be positioning him for his post Raptor career as the reigning G League MVP - a poor decision in my opinion. Most agent's hate the World Cup as as their clients don't benefit very much financially. Sometimes the sneaker companies encourage the participation of their star players but that doesn't seem to be in play at this event perhaps because most of the games are played in the middle of the night. Canada doesn't seem to have any guys with bigs sneaker contracts - I believe Wiggin's had a Nike contract that's expired. There's scuttlebutt that Barrett could get a relatively big shoe deal.
super_balls
Starter
And1: 1,837

Post#1979 » by super_balls » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:19 pm

TrueNorth31 wrote:Here's what Boucher's " personal problem " is according to Steve Simmons.

"Chris Boucher is a fool for listening to his agent.

His agent believes it was a mistake for Boucher to play for Team Canada at the World Cup of basketball. He convinced Boucher, the Raptor from Montreal, that it wasn’t in his best interest to take part in the tournament, which is a rather confounding piece of logic.

Agents are talking and completely messing with the World Cup rosters of many teams, including Canada and the United States, informing them that the schedule of the World Cup, the travel and the proximity to NBA training camps makes this an unnecessary place for a player to be.

The thought process on this boggles the mind. Basically, unless there’s an injury involved, agents are telling players that you can’t properly prepare for an NBA season by playing high-level basketball. Consider the illogic of that for a moment.

Boucher is trying to make it as a Raptor. He was a Summer League all-star and a G-League MVP. The coach of the Canadian national team just happens to be Nick Nurse, Boucher’s coach with the Raptors. How better to impress the coach you need to impress for playing time than by playing for his team, for your own coach?

After meeting with Boucher more than once, Nurse wasn’t happy he chose to walk out on Canada’s camp. Nurse kept his feelings mostly to himself, but his sentiment was clear. The one guy Boucher needs on his side is now wondering who Boucher happens to be."

https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/simmons-whos-no-5-all-time-beliveau-or-sid-the-kid

Basically I agree with Simmons. Imagine the pressure NBA agents put on more established players ( remember they get 4% of the players salary) who don't need to showcase themselves like this kid. Boucher has only a $ 125,000 camp guarantee with the Raptor's. His agent appears to be positioning him for his post Raptor career as the reigning G League MVP - a poor decision in my opinion. Most agent's hate the World Cup as as their clients don't benefit very much financially. Sometimes the sneaker companies encourage the participation of their star players but that doesn't seem to be in play at this event perhaps because most of the games are played in the middle of the night. Canada doesn't seem to have any guys with bigs sneaker contracts - I believe Wiggin's had a Nike contract that's expired. There's scuttlebutt that Barrett could get a relatively big shoe deal.

Do we still have people that trust the garbage that comes out of Steve Simmons mouth?

I highly doubt Boucher would give this opportunity up. I firmly believe he would’ve broke out at this tournament if he played. Not to mention being coached by his own NBA coach!
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,889

Post#1980 » by ItsDanger » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:49 pm

I don't buy Boucher's excuse. But at least he has time to work on adding some weight. He gets pushed around too easily. But I'm sure at his age (26!) he already knows this. Yet it hasn't happened yet? Therefore, it probably never will. Write-off.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.

Return to Toronto Raptors