OT - Media - Movies, TV, Youtube, Vine, Music, Books, Gaming

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,062

Re: OT - Media - Movies, TV, Youtube, Vine, Music, Books, Gaming 

Post#761 » by bwgood77 » Fri Aug 9, 2019 7:15 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Loved The Boys, just finished last night. It's definitely dark and messed up but really well made and entertaining.

Underrated good Amazon show is Patriot. Its a dry funny, weird spy show. I loved it but it might not be everyones cup of tea.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

I watched some of Patriot. It was pretty funny....will probably get back to it at some point.
wheezy
Rookie
And1: 556

Post#762 » by wheezy » Fri Aug 9, 2019 10:33 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Loved The Boys, just finished last night. It's definitely dark and messed up but really well made and entertaining.

Underrated good Amazon show is Patriot. Its a dry funny, weird spy show. I loved it but it might not be everyones cup of tea.

Overrated Amazon* show = Killing Eve. Held my interest until the end but everyone on podcasts kept talking about it like it was the next big show. It is just *fine*.

*Errr... BBC.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#763 » by bwgood77 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:14 am

wheezy wrote:

Overrated Amazon show = Killing Eve. Held my interest until the end but everyone on podcasts kept talking about it like it was the next big show. It is just *fine*.

It's not really an Amazon show, but I agree with you. I thought season one was ok, but nothing to write home about. And then I started season 2, and while I like the villain actress, I have only gotten about halfway through but haven't watched an episode in a couple weeks. I'll still probably finish but it's not that compelling.
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,031

Post#764 » by SlovenianDragon » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:36 am

I just watched once upon a time in Hollywood and have to say it was the most boring thing I have ever seen...
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,504

Post#765 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:51 pm

SlovenianDragon wrote:I just watched once upon a time in Hollywood and have to say it was the most boring thing I have ever seen...

Damn really? I'm hoping to watch it soon because I'm a fan of Leo and Pitt.

That being said, maybe I'm just not a "film buff" or "deep" enough to understand but most of Tarantino's movies don't vibe with me. Never was a big fan of the Kill Bill series, Reservoir dogs was alright, Hateful 8 was fun but a bit whatever and I honestly think Pulp Fiction is one of the most overrated films in the sense that the film doesn't match the level of all the praise and talk it still gets

I still think Inglorious basterds is his best film and it's one of my favourites. Django comes in 2nd.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#766 » by bwgood77 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:06 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
SlovenianDragon wrote:I just watched once upon a time in Hollywood and have to say it was the most boring thing I have ever seen...

That being said, maybe I'm just not a "film buff" or "deep" enough to understand but most of Tarantino's movies don't vibe with me. Never was a big fan of the Kill Bill series, Reservoir dogs was alright, Hateful 8 was fun but a bit whatever and I honestly think Pulp Fiction is one of the most overrated films in the sense that the film doesn't match the level of all the praise and talk it still gets

I still think Inglorious basterds is his best film and it's one of my favourites. Django comes in 2nd.

I personally really liked Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, but part of the reason is that he really developed the characters in addition to really making you feel like you were there in the late 60s, and a lot of it being based on a real story about the Manson cult.

However, I really liked Pulp Fiction, and rate his movies like this:

Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill
Reservoir Dogs
Inglorious Basterds

After that it's tough. I really liked Hateful Eight, don't remember Django Unchained real well (only saw it once) and like the difference that Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was.

Then probably Jackie Brown, though I might like that more on rewatch, since it was a bit of a letdown after Pulp Fiction, one of my all time favorites of any movie.

Also, I just watched Sense8 and this was so much more than I expected. I put off watching it for awhile, but it is so rich with characters and such a unique, cool concept, with a lot of action. It starts a little slow while it builds the characters, but once you get 3-4 episodes in, it was top notch.

Did you ever finish The Boys?
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#767 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:28 am

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:

I personally really liked Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, but part of the reason is that he really developed the characters in addition to really making you feel like you were there in the late 60s, and a lot of it being based on a real story about the Manson cult.

However, I really liked Pulp Fiction, and rate his movies like this:

Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill
Reservoir Dogs
Inglorious Basterds

After that it's tough. I really liked Hateful Eight, don't remember Django Unchained real well (only saw it once) and like the difference that Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was.

Then probably Jackie Brown, though I might like that more on rewatch, since it was a bit of a letdown after Pulp Fiction, one of my all time favorites of any movie.

Also, I just watched Sense8 and this was so much more than I expected. I put off watching it for awhile, but it is so rich with characters and such a unique, cool concept, with a lot of action. It starts a little slow while it builds the characters, but once you get 3-4 episodes in, it was top notch.

Did you ever finish The Boys?

Yeah so I'm pretty keen for it because I've read that it's one of his best films.

I didn't finish the Boys. I think I have an episode or two left. I'll find time to finish it. It's an interesting show
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#768 » by Mattya » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:16 am

So, I think I will finally be moving to AZ in early October. I'm trying to go to the Wolves v. Suns preseason game if I get out there in time.

Any suggestions on good indoor/outdoor basketball courts around Scottsdale or Camelback East areas that have good pick up games? Those are the areas I'm kind of leaning towards at this point. I have a Lifetime membership, are there any other good gyms?
In2ition
Senior
And1: 259

Post#769 » by In2ition » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:07 pm

Mattya wrote:So, I think I will finally be moving to AZ in early October. I'm trying to go to the Wolves v. Suns preseason game if I get out there in time.

Any suggestions on good indoor/outdoor basketball courts around Scottsdale or Camelback East areas that have good pick up games? Those are the areas I'm kind of leaning towards at this point. I have a Lifetime membership, are there any other good gyms?

What level of Lifetime membership do you have?
Mattya
RealGM

Post#770 » by Mattya » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:07 pm

In2ition wrote:
Mattya wrote:So, I think I will finally be moving to AZ in early October. I'm trying to go to the Wolves v. Suns preseason game if I get out there in time.

My family got founders memberships way back in 1995.
In2ition
Senior
And1: 259

Post#771 » by In2ition » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:15 am

Mattya wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Sounds like a level above Onyx or Diamond. There are now a few Lifetime's in the area of Scottsdale and Camelback. You're in good shape there.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#772 » by Mattya » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:19 am

In2ition wrote:
Mattya wrote:
In2ition wrote:What level of Lifetime membership do you have?

Sounds like a level above Onyx or Diamond. There are now a few Lifetime's in the area of Scottsdale and Camelback. You're in good shape there.

I believe the other levels of membership came long after the founders memberships. IDK if they have changed what new founders memberships allow members, but back then it was sold as a very discounted monthly payment and allows you to go to any Lifetime Fitness.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#773 » by bwgood77 » Fri Nov 1, 2019 2:49 pm

Just marathoned Succession. Now this show doesn't feel great and has some loathsome and just plain dumb characters, but it gets better as it goes. It was definitely one where I wanted to see what happened next though.

Started Jack Ryan season 2 last night and it got off to a great start...probably will finish that this weekend.

Also hope to see some movies...4 at the theater I want to see....Parasite, Lighthouse, Motherless Brooklyn, and Terminator.
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,327

Post#774 » by TASTIC » Wed Nov 6, 2019 2:08 am

Can't find the podcast thread we had...Anyway.

Just started listening to this one - Amar'e getting interviewed by QRich and Darius Miles - talks a ton of Suns apparently

https://player.fm/series/knuckleheads-with-quentin-richardson-darius-miles/amare-stoudemire
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#775 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Nov 6, 2019 2:19 am

bwgood77 wrote:Just marathoned Succession. Now this show doesn't feel great and has some loathsome and just plain dumb characters, but it gets better as it goes. It was definitely one where I wanted to see what happened next though.

Started Jack Ryan season 2 last night and it got off to a great start...probably will finish that this weekend.

Also hope to see some movies...4 at the theater I want to see....Parasite, Lighthouse, Motherless Brooklyn, and Terminator.

Season 1 of Jack Ryan was amazing. I just started season 2 the other day but didn't really give it full attention so I'll need to probably rewatch the 1st episode.

Just looked up the premise of Succession and it looks pretty fun.
wheezy
Rookie

Post#776 » by wheezy » Wed Nov 6, 2019 4:17 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:Just marathoned Succession. Now this show doesn't feel great and has some loathsome and just plain dumb characters, but it gets better as it goes. It was definitely one where I wanted to see what happened next though.

Season 1 of Jack Ryan was amazing. I just started season 2 the other day but didn't really give it full attention so I'll need to probably rewatch the 1st episode.

Succession is amazing. Some of the best dialog on tv by far. The Watchmen looks like it's heading that way too. A certain character joins in ep 3 that spices things up a lot.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#777 » by bwgood77 » Wed Nov 6, 2019 4:22 pm

wheezy wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:

Succession is amazing. Some of the best dialog on tv by far. The Watchmen looks like it's heading that way too. A certain character joins in ep 3 that spices things up a lot.

Just curious...did you watch "Billions"? It might not be as good as Successions, or is similar but different in ways, but if you are a big movie and sports fan, the dialogue is hilarious and subtle...SO many one liners that are comparing things or using quotes from other movies that I would imagine most don't pick up on, but it always makes me laugh. A lot of really good characters too.
wheezy
Rookie

Post#778 » by wheezy » Wed Nov 6, 2019 5:03 pm

Haven't watched Billions no, but heard good things. Sounds like I should check it out. Succession and Fleabag have been by far my favorite things this year though.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#779 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Nov 7, 2019 1:21 pm

wheezy wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:

Marathon'd 8 episodes of Succession. Amazing show, kinda surprised me.

Thanks BW for the recommendation
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#780 » by bwgood77 » Thu Nov 7, 2019 2:14 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
wheezy wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Season 1 of Jack Ryan was amazing. I just started season 2 the other day but didn't really give it full attention so I'll need to probably rewatch the 1st episode.

Marathon'd 8 episodes of Succession. Amazing show, kinda surprised me.

Thanks BW for the recommendation

In my opinion, season 2 gets quite a bit better.

Return to Phoenix Suns