ImageImageImage

The forgotten man-Semi Ojeleye

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

thomas1897
Junior
And1: 86

Re: The forgotten man-Semi Ojeleye 

Post#61 » by thomas1897 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:13 pm

Last year the Celtics were expecting to have a good year and to be a dominate force in the east. However the team had problems Ojeleye when called upon did an admirable job and demonstrated a good attitude despite the drama. Now will Brad Stevens use him in a transitional situations where he can be used to play multiple positions on the court because of his versatility. Can he elevate his game on defense, rebounding and score from the inside out depending on how teams defend him. Marcus Morris departure opened an opportunity can Ojeleye fill the void.
jumblin
Rookie
And1: 1,088

Post#62 » by jumblin » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:35 am

If Semi could be a 35%+ 3pt shooter he'd stay in the league forever.

He has incredibly quick feet and we all know how strong he is. Combine that with solid height and you have a guy who is quick enough and strong enough to defend anyone but the quickest point guards in the league at a elite level.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#63 » by Slartibartfast » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:19 am

jumblin wrote:If Semi could be a 35%+ 3pt shooter he'd stay in the league forever.

He has incredibly quick feet and we all know how strong he is. Combine that with solid height and you have a guy who is quick enough and strong enough to defend anyone but the quickest point guards in the league at a elite level.

Elite is too strong (much like Semi). He does a great job of staying in front of guys and denying them angles. He does not do a great job of contesting shots.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,221

Post#64 » by djFan71 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:31 am

Slartibartfast wrote:
jumblin wrote:If Semi could be a 35%+ 3pt shooter he'd stay in the league forever.

Elite is too strong (much like Semi). He does a great job of staying in front of guys and denying them angles. He does not do a great job of contesting shots.

Agreed. He also could be called for a foul a majority of the time when his guy does shoot. He constantly scoots forward into their airspace. That with his hand up is his "contest". And it's illegal quite frequently.
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#65 » by Tiny ball » Mon Aug 5, 2019 4:10 pm

I think he might have made a great tight end.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#66 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Aug 5, 2019 4:20 pm

Tiny ball wrote:I think he might have made a great tight end.

Tight ends need considerable sprinting speed.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#67 » by Tiny ball » Mon Aug 5, 2019 4:32 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:

Blocking and catching the ball.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#68 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Aug 5, 2019 5:36 pm

Tiny ball wrote:

That too. But they also need good sprinting speed.

http://thehuddle.com/2019/03/03/2018-nfl-combine-results-tight-ends-2/
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,313

Post#69 » by Homerclease » Mon Aug 5, 2019 7:25 pm

Tiny ball wrote:

Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates are two of the best to ever do it and they were both basketball converts.

Rob Gronkowski ran a 4.68 which is average at best for a skill position player at the NFL level
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#70 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Aug 5, 2019 8:40 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Tiny ball wrote:Blocking and catching the ball.

Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates are two of the best to ever do it and they were both basketball converts.

Rob Gronkowski ran a 4.68 which is average at best for a skill position player at the NFL level

Bill Belichick once remarked that it was rare for a basketball player to have sufficient speed for TE. I stole the point from him.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#71 » by cloverleaf » Wed Aug 7, 2019 11:33 am

Homerclease wrote:

Bill Belichick once remarked that it was rare for a basketball player to have sufficient speed for TE. I stole the point from him.

Semi could perhaps benefit from working with TB12's trainer to improve his "pliability".
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#72 » by GuyClinch » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:45 am

Langford and Williams will steal any minutes he could get. Just like how Robert Williams started getting PT over Yabu last year. Danny has moved tons of AAA quality players through the C's over the years. Orien Greene to BBD to Joe Forte. Fans will call these guys busts - but many of them go on to have profitable careers - overseas and play in the NBA for 3-5 years.

Semi is just another one of those guys - not a bust but not a top tier NBA talent. Has a NBA body but high school skills..
GuyClinch
RealGM

Post#73 » by GuyClinch » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:06 am

Homerclease wrote:
Tiny ball wrote:Blocking and catching the ball.

I think if you use height vs speed - its well above average. But does Semi have an NFL body - probably but it's a little late in the game to switch now - though the Pats are desperate at TE haha.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#74 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:24 am

Ojeleye is great, hard-working, still improving - he's working with Drew Hanlen again, trying to refine his shot. I think he will, and could be a back-up 3/4 for us for another five years. I don't see Grant Williams taking his minutes, I see some lineups with Smart/Semi/Grant just bodying the hell out of other teams. And I'm not sold on Grant hitting the ground running as a rookie, like Sullinger did - he could struggle early.
GuyClinch
RealGM

Post#75 » by GuyClinch » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:49 pm

He is like Sullinger in that he knows how to play basketball - has pro skills. Knows where to go and what to do - and is at least average athletically. Coaches like guys like this. They tend to hate mental mistakes - missed rotations etc.

Williams problem is he is 2 guard height..and length. Albeit a very strong 2 guard. Semi's problem is he is more athlete then basketball player. Who will win out? With Brad I would guess Grant Williams.
5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Post#76 » by 5InOfLouisville » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:28 am

I'm somewhat high on Semi, at least compared to general evaluations. Another highly touted HS recruit that underperformed in college...very DA. The defensive chops are there, and I think, contrary to what others have stated, the BBIQ is there. He seems to mostly understand rotations and help defense, although sometimes this is skewed by sticking him on the other's team best scoring threat for limited minutes.

That's a hard way to get a rhythm. The question is, can he hit open shots? I believe he gets there, although who knows? I also think he has the strength to take nba 3's into the paint and abuse them.

Is he ever a starter? maybe, but i doubt it. but i do think he can be a useful rotation piece with just a little experience and fine-tuning of his game.
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:
bigfoot_cryptozoology
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,294

Post#77 » by bigfoot_cryptozoology » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:18 pm

GuyClinch wrote:He is like Sullinger in that he knows how to play basketball - has pro skills. Knows where to go and what to do - and is at least average athletically. Coaches like guys like this. They tend to hate mental mistakes - missed rotations etc.

Williams problem is he is 2 guard height..and length. Albeit a very strong 2 guard. Semi's problem is he is more athlete then basketball player. Who will win out? With Brad I would guess Grant Williams.

Most definitely Williams, better all around player than Semi and they used a First Round Pick on him. Somehow, somewhere he's going to see some playing time, whether at the expense of Semi, Theis, probably even Timelord, as Smitty tweeted.

It makes more sense to deal Semi to a WC contender, who needs a defender for Kawhi and LeBron in the playoffs. I like the idea of Semi and that Nets 2nd Rounder for a very protected First. The Celtics simply have too many wing players and need another roster spot to sign Tacko to a two way deal.

Return to Boston Celtics