2019-20 Lakers vs 2018-19 Raptors

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,496

2019-20 Lakers vs 2018-19 Raptors 

Post#1 » by zimpy27 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:41 pm

I think there are some similarities between these two teams and looking at them may help project this teams level.

LeBron = Kawhi
LeBron and Kawhi are similar level players and neither put in 100% effort in the RS.

Green = Green

AD > Siakam
AD is better than Siakam and offers an increased 2-way threat.

Bradley << Lowry
Lowry is much better than Bradley, both are bulldog defenders and similar shooters but Lowry is way above in playmaking.

Cousins = Gasol
Had a similar rank in RPM the last few years, Cousins has been higher rank 2 out of 3 times.

McGee = Serge
Have a similar impact, bring energy and shot-blocking.

Caruso/KCP = FVV/Powell
Statistically identical and similar ages.

Kuzma > OG
Similar experience but Kuzma had a much better year last season and is expected to be even better next season.

Overall it seems like the level of Lowry above Bradley is matched by the level of AD and Kuzma over Siakam and OG.

The raptors were ranked 5th in both O-rating and D-rating. That should be the target for the Lakers. I think the Lakers offense has more chance of being ranked higher with LeBronball and 3 shooters.

What do people think of the player comparisons? Could the 18-19 Raptors be a decent guide to the level of this team?
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Re: 2019-20 Lakers vs 2018-19 Raptors 

Post#2 » by Landsberger » Mon Aug 5, 2019 1:03 am

How Davis and Bron go together vs how Lowry and Kawhi is really how teams work IMHO. Kawhi's stats vs Bron's are not in any context of how those stats help their teams. This is where the stats or player "rankings" are everything stuff comes off the rails IMHO. PG and Westbrook's stats translated one way...... Harden's and CP3's another. Who had the better top 2 stats? My answer is who cares. Which team was made better by the stats? There's the important part.

Toronto added Kawhi and Gasol to a decent core that had time together and a system in place. We're starting from zero in both respects.

How Davis and Bron go together will be a key for us. Also, if we play Cousins in a role where he's counted on to score efficiently ...... can he do that still? He largely played off 3 other great players last year. Can Kuzma carry a bench along with Cousins.... can Rondo be better this year? This is where coaching and a system will play into it a lot.

For this to be a truly great team I'd think we'd have Cousins, Kuzma, Davis and Bron all averaging between 16 and 22 PPG along with another group of 3 or so at or over 10ppg. If it's Bron with 26 and Davis with 25 and a gap down to Cousins and Kuzma at around 14-15 it's a much different team. That puts pressure on a group that might not be able to be consistent contributors night in and night out.

The first 10 games will be very interesting. Do we go with the typical LeBron offense? Do we truly move the ball and limit the Bron isolations? Do we run a motion offense or a P&R focused offense? We have the players to do both it would seem. We even have players to do an old fashioned inside out game as well.
First Take
Senior
And1: 414

Post#3 » by First Take » Wed Aug 7, 2019 9:33 pm

It would be tough but I'll go with the 2019 - 20 Los Angles Lakers. Give me LeBron and Anthony Davis over K. Leonard and M. Gasol.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,339

Post#4 » by 76ciology » Thu Aug 8, 2019 4:05 am

Bottomline for me is this is a comparison between Lowry, Siakam and Kawhi vs Kuzma, Ad and Lebron.

Will the Raps’ edge of Lowry on Kuzma that big to make-up for the difference of Siakam-Kawhi vs Ad-LeBron?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#5 » by Kilroy » Thu Aug 8, 2019 4:39 am

I'm not really a fan of comparisons like this, but it's pretty clear than both teams are fairly evenly matched until you get do Anthony Davis... So you bet on AD every time... Especially in a 7 gm finals series where things tend to slow down and get a little more physical.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,496

Post#6 » by zimpy27 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 5:45 pm

Sure, the comparisons I saw were not just individual but as a team. Raptors played big for the modern game, they had Kawhi, Siakam, Ibaka, Gasol which is similar size wise to LeBron, AD, McGee, Cousins. Green is obviously the same guy.

It started with defense but I realised the teams themselves are pretty even, I'd give a slight edge to the Lakers assuming they uild sufficient chemistry.

I thought it was interesting to compare the teams to understand what the expectations might be, in this case the expectations are that the team is probably better than any team in the East but equal to a healthy GSW and Rockets. I still give the Clippers the edge over everyone at this point.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,805

Post#7 » by Beethoven » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:30 am

We win of course.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#8 » by BEazy » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:03 am

Honestly if the Warriors weren't so banged up, Raptors would've got swept. So I don't see any type of similarities with that Raptors team and this Lakers team.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,460

Post#9 » by dockingsched » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:18 pm

Raptors weren’t a championship level team and only got a ring due to unprecedented injuries. I don’t think they should be a guide for a team trying to win a title.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#10 » by Landsberger » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:49 pm

Injuries are part of every season for every team. Not sure why the dump on Toronto's accomplishment.

GS most likely doesn't win their first in the latest string of titles without injuries on CLE. No need to try and copy them then either I guess.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by dockingsched » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:50 pm

Landsberger wrote:Injuries are part of every season for every team. Not sure why the dump on Toronto's accomplishment.

GS most likely doesn't win their first in the latest string of titles without injuries on CLE. No need to try and copy them then either I guess.

I dump on their title for two reasons, the injuries they benefited from were not part of every season (losing players like Durant and Klay is unprecedented), and their caliber of team was inferior to every champ in recent memory.

You bring up the warriors benefiting from injuries, but they were clearly a title caliber team that had a good chance of winning even if there were no injuries. Similar to the Lakers in 09 when Boston lost KG which allowed ORL to get the finals.

The raptors, inarguably, stood 0% chance if not for the unprecedented level of injuries, and that makes them different than anyone else.

Last season to me is totally forgettable, I’ve never cared less for who won the title because it doesn’t mean anything due to injuries.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 475

Post#12 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:27 pm

Landsberger wrote:Injuries are part of every season for every team. Not sure why the dump on Toronto's accomplishment.

I agree that injuries are part of the game, as well as luck. The Raptors had their own share of injuries during the regular season but managed to make it in the playoffs. We got to give credit where credit is due. They got lucky in the playoffs, they got the Chip, Congratulations. That game winning shot of Kawhi against the Sixers is an example of Lady Luck smiling down on the Raptors in that playoff run.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#13 » by Landsberger » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:39 am

dockingsched wrote:

losing players like Durant and Klay is unprecedented

Yeah.... I'd hate to think what would have happened to our 80's dynasty if we had..... say.... lost Magic and Scott for a finals.... That would have done us in.....

You still have to win the games and Toronto was not just a lucky team. They won and to me it means as much as any other championship not won by the Lakers.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by dockingsched » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:21 pm

How bout this comparison? 09 Lakers

Lebron = Kobe

Davis = Pau

Cousins = Bynum

Kuzma = Odom

Green = Ariza

Bradley/Caruso = Fisher

KCP = Sasha

Dudley = Walton

Rondo/Cook = Farmar
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#15 » by Landsberger » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:01 am

dockingsched wrote:How bout this comparison? 09 Lakers

Lebron = Kobe

Davis = Pau

Cousins = Bynum

Kuzma = Odom

Green = Ariza

Bradley/Caruso = Fisher

KCP = Sasha

Dudley = Walton

Rondo/Cook = Farmar

Well.... here it is right here. Comparing one oft injured center who was a little less than interested in basketball with another oft injured center who's disinterested in just about everything and we get the same thing we got then.... and injured center.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,235

Post#16 » by tamaraw08 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:37 am

dockingsched wrote:How bout this comparison? 09 Lakers

Lebron = Kobe

Davis = Pau

Cousins = Bynum

Kuzma = Odom

Green = Ariza

Bradley/Caruso = Fisher

KCP = Sasha

Dudley = Walton

Rondo/Cook = Farmar

Pretty good comparison. This present team has better 3 pt shooting but the 09 Lakers have smarter players esp in Fisher. Phil made it work bec if his great coaching using the best system for his team, the biggest question is if Vogel and his staff can find the best schemes to put it all together.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers