OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION]

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#721 » by bizarro » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:57 am

HaroldinGMinor wrote:
Iheartfootball wrote:Stressors activate our immune system into action as well. Mind/body connection.

Yup. Excessive stress is not good for your health.

The Enteric Nervous System, Microbial DNA, The Gut Brain axis, and the Vagus Nerve are all intimately co-crafting peoples’ thoughts. I used to tell peeps: You aren’t what you eat. You are what you feed.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,885

Post#722 » by humanrefutation » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:03 am

I do think there is a large amount of ignorance by the American public about what's in their food and how it impacts them. There is so much nutritionally questionable fast food readily consumed daily. I'm guilty of it myself too often.

If your diet is working for you, more power to you. I wish more people were thoughtful about what they ate. Myself included.

I will also add that managing stress and getting enough rest is also extremely important, both for our mental and physical well-beings.
0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,017

Post#723 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:13 am

I've done intermittent fasting for the past year or so. Generally going 48+ hours on only water/black coffee. It's amazing how much better I feel. I have ulcerative colitis and doing this has worked wonders for my symptoms.
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,587

Post#724 » by HaroldinGMinor » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:27 am

humanrefutation wrote:I do think there is a large amount of ignorance by the American public about what's in their food and how it impacts them. There is so much nutritionally questionable fast food readily consumed daily. I'm guilty of it myself too often.

If your diet is working for you, more power to you. I wish more people were thoughtful about what they ate. Myself included.

I will also add that managing stress and getting enough rest is also extremely important, both for our mental and physical well-beings.

At the end of the day, even if a diet is giving someone a placebo effect that means it's working in my book as long as it's not causing deleterious effects elsewhere.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,590

Post#725 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:00 am

Sure, some college kids with an upward inflection who go gluten free for literally no reason other than trend, or someone middle age on a new diet every 6 months to try and lose 5 pounds while not exercising may be annoying to you (still doesn’t affect you, mind you). But talk that minimizes the legitimacy and experiences of those with medical conditions or just different experiences from your own are harmful and help create the stigma around many diets and conditions. It keeps people from talking about their experiences, seeking help because they feel like their problem is illegitimate (both of those were me), and it leads to BS like people rolling their eyes, moaning, or even getting angry with people in restaurants who say they’re gluten free and ask for general information about how things are cooked (THIS HAPPENS). It’s stupid and not helpful.

Ok. End rant.

ETA This was not directed at anyone. No subtweeting.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,904

Post#726 » by stellation » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:04 am

bizarro wrote:
stellation wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:
I think that's the key. Processed foods are horrible for you.

I was listening to a round table discussion a while ago, Michael Pollan was on it and gave the simplest example of processed vs. not processed food consumption by talking about eating an apple vs. juicing an apple. From memory he explained it as;
1. If you just eat the apple, you get fibre- juice it and you don't (he made the point of "ever have to pull a bit of apple from between your teeth? That's because there's fibre").
2. If you just eat the apple the sugars stay in the cells then are slowly released on consumption, if you juice it they're stripped out and are immediately released on consumption.

He said there's more benefits to just eating the apple than that, but they're such simple/obvious things for people to stop and go "yes, that's clearly better" because you don't really have to expand on "it's good to get fibre in your diet and not have sugar rushes". He suggested people think about that simple example when considering every single processed thing they might consume, because they can always find some form of parallel.

It is NEVER that simple man. All you folks who can eat to their heart’s content really shouldn’t pretend to know how to speak about food and its impacts on a person’s body. Everyone is biochemically different. Every gastrointestinal scenario is different.

I suffered the worst case of Salmonella in Mininnesota’s recorded history. The Department of Health said they’d never seen anything like it. Of 50 people hospitalized, I was the worst: lost 60 lbs in 1 WEEK and suffered post-bacterial ‘invasions’ into my spine and biofilms. This is what you call a stealth virus. It lingers and impacts my life on the daily.

No amount of apples, probiotics, pre-biotics, or foo foo from Michael Pollan is going to make sense of it. I’ve read them all. They don’t know.

Not everyone can simply eat vegetables, or sauerkraut, and take a nice (most likely inert) expensive probiotic. It just doesn’t work like that.

EDIT: I now realize you were simply talking about processed vs unprocessed - derp derp :lol:

Did you know the potato has a higher glycemic load than an apple? I bet you didn’t.

Sorry to hear that, brother- I'm quite fortunate by comparison. Yep, just talking processed vs unprocessed. :)

And nope, I don't think I knew that for apple vs. spud but it does make sense!
#FreeChuckDiesel
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,862

Post#727 » by jschligs » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:56 pm

I will never go back to Key West in August, it’s ****ing miserable. The stickiness, not being able to breathe, drinking and the sun have me dying.

Can’t wait to get back to WI ha
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,885

Post#728 » by humanrefutation » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:48 pm

I know bugs are important to the ecosystem but can they stay out of my house please?
stellation
RealGM

Post#729 » by stellation » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:11 pm

It's snowing at my house for the second day in a row- I'm not sure if you cats are aware of this, but it kind of makes it cold.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#730 » by Mags FTW » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:58 pm

humanrefutation wrote:I know bugs are important to the ecosystem but can they stay out of my house please?

I've been letting spiders stick around because they kill more annoying pests.

House centipedes do the same, but I just can't let those MFers survive. They are so damn fast and creepy.

jmart762
Pro Prospect
And1: 430

Post#731 » by jmart762 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:41 am

Super important and we are close to a crisis.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2019/08/insect-apocalypse-under-way-toxic-pesticides-agriculture/

Came home to the farm tonight and there are literally hundreds of dragon flies over our pastures that the light hit just right. But yeah, I don't even know where to start to stop insects from getting into my old house where they are a nuisance.
humanrefutation wrote:I know bugs are important to the ecosystem but can they stay out of my house please?

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
wapith
Junior
And1: 164

Post#732 » by wapith » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:52 am

Ill-yasova wrote:Anybody out there drinking a New Glarus Kid Kölsch? Hot damn that’s a fine summer beer!

Have you tried Kuhler? Amazing
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#733 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:56 am

jmart762 wrote:Super important and we are close to a crisis.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2019/08/insect-apocalypse-under-way-toxic-pesticides-agriculture/

Came home to the farm tonight and there are literally hundreds of dragon flies over our pastures that the light hit just right. But yeah, I don't even know where to start to stop insects from getting into my old house where they are a nuisance.

Much as with many other things, we aren't just close to a crisis - it is a crisis, most notably for the bees. Like it's a big f'ing deal (as I know you are very well aware).

In the South, it's a thing to have a bug guy. It's more normal than having someone mow your lawn. Cockroaches are especially bad, but spiders and wasps (outside...hopefully) are pretty bad too. We quit working with one and are combo dealing with the bugs, letting the cats deal with the bugs, and using safer solutions than whatever it is that they spray. It feels ridiculous - especially that it isn't expensive to have them come - but I had this guilt, feeling like I was contributing to more chemicals being sprayed than needed. They couldn't make any guarantees that they didn't use chemicals harmful to bees when spraying outside. Sigh.

And yes, I'm a hippie :peace:
bizarro
RealGM

Post#734 » by bizarro » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:09 am

So, I generally use Google Chrome to visit Real GM. AND, I’m curious, does anyone else suffer from Chrome inexplicably and repeatedly kicking you out of your post(s) and giving you a lovely blank error page? You have to sign back in and your original post is gone. I think it happens most often on my phone and IPad but it has definitely happened on my desktop as well. Just curious. This just in: it’s reallllllly annoying.
bizarro
RealGM

Post#735 » by bizarro » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:12 am

MikeIsGood wrote:
jmart762 wrote:Super important and we are close to a crisis.

Much as with many other things, we aren't just close to a crisis - it is a crisis, most notably for the bees. Like it's a big f'ing deal (as I know you are very well aware).

In the South, it's a thing to have a bug guy. It's more normal than having someone mow your lawn. Cockroaches are especially bad, but spiders and wasps (outside...hopefully) are pretty bad too. We quit working with one and are combo dealing with the bugs, letting the cats deal with the bugs, and using safer solutions than whatever it is that they spray. It feels ridiculous - especially that it isn't expensive to have them come - but I had this guilt, feeling like I was contributing to more chemicals being sprayed than needed. They couldn't make any guarantees that they didn't use chemicals harmful to bees when spraying outside. Sigh.

And yes, I'm a hippie :peace:

Man, the blatant used of aminopyralid herbicides in this country is utterly insane. This doesn’t even tackle insecticides. It’s atrocious. All are highly highly toxic and most are cancer-causing. Most can and do get into fresh waterways and aquifers. There’s a reason Roundup is banned in many a country across the globe. Makes me sick.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,432

Post#736 » by emunney » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:19 am

Mags FTW wrote:

House centipedes do the same, but I just can't let those MFers survive. They are so damn fast and creepy.

Unleash wave after wave of Chinese needle snakes.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
stellation
RealGM

Post#737 » by stellation » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:49 am

emunney wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:

Unleash wave after wave of Chinese needle snakes.

#FreeChuckDiesel
vegaspacker
Analyst
And1: 963

Post#738 » by vegaspacker » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:49 pm

Well, the grasshopper invasion has definitely waned. There are a few stragglers hanging around, the plague has ended.
I needs shades for this future thing we owning..... 8-) 8-) 8-)
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#739 » by Ill-yasova » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:45 pm

wapith wrote:
Ill-yasova wrote:Anybody out there drinking a New Glarus Kid Kölsch? Hot damn that’s a fine summer beer!

Have you tried Kuhler? Amazing

Not yet, but it’s on the list.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#740 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:12 pm

*Disclaimer: futbol novice*

Oof. Chelsea looks awful. Poor Pulisic.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks