ImageImageImage

FIBA World Cup

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,676

Re: FIBA World Cup 

Post#221 » by GoCeltics123 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:17 am

Tatum looked great. Kemba looked good. Brown looked bad.

Btw, Fox is really turning into a beast
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Re: FIBA World Cup – (Team USA Scrimmage - 10PM, 08-09-19 - NBA-TV & Twitch) 

Post#222 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:52 am

Parliament10 wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:I just came back from the Canada-Nigeria game. No Kelly Olynyk = no soup for Team Canada.

What was the score?

96-87
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,902

Re: FIBA world cup 

Post#223 » by FlatearthZorro » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:03 am

Darth Celtic wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:According to John Schuhmann of NBA.com, looks like we may have three starters for FIBA

Both Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum are pretty safe bets to make the final roster, and there's a chance they could be the starting forwards. Tatum shot very well in the controlled scrimmage that the media watched on Thursday, and Brown is arguably the most versatile forward in camp.

https://www.nba.com/article/2019/08/08/team-usa-notebook-scrimmage-preview

The GB tells me Brown isn't good. This can't be true.

Most of them guya dont understand ball there. They still singing the Ingram is better than Brown tune. Ingram has ranked several hundred spots below Brown on defense and cant shoot. Brown has 2 30 plus games in the playoffs, Ingram didnt make the playoffs with LBJ on his team.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#224 » by BostonCouchGM » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:47 am

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:According to John Schuhmann of NBA.com, looks like we may have three starters for FIBA

Most of them guya dont understand ball there. They still singing the Ingram is better than Brown tune. Ingram has ranked several hundred spots below Brown on defense and cant shoot. Brown has 2 30 plus games in the playoffs, Ingram didnt make the playoffs with LBJ on his team.
FlatearthZorro wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:

Jaylen's just about the worst player on this team and not two tiers from Ingram as a player. We're talking about a kid who in his 3rd year put up 13-4-1 with bad defense. Yep, this is the guy so many people are delusional about. He looked horrible on the floor tonight. Like he absolutely did not belong out there. He shouldn't make the roster tbh.
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#225 » by Tiny ball » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:27 am

C-West wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:

Fox is pretty good.

So looking forward to rooting for the Kings again. That team should be really good this year. Kings are and always have been my second favorite team. I basically grew up and went to HS there, and I was in HS when the Kings moved there from KC. What they have done in the last couple years through the draft has been spectacular. They have talent, a great leader/Point, a good coach and amazing fans. And a very cool arena - guessing none of you have been there but it is awesome.
The Kings were my favorite team to watch half of last season. They really got up and down the court. I hope the ownership and front office don't screw the team up. I know that is asking a lot.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#226 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:29 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:The GB tells me Brown isn't good. This can't be true.

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:The GB tells me Brown isn't good. This can't be true.

Jaylen's just about the worst player on this team and not two tiers from Ingram as a player. We're talking about a kid who in his 3rd year put up 13-4-1 with bad defense. Yep, this is the guy so many people are delusional about. He looked horrible on the floor tonight. Like he absolutely did not belong out there. He shouldn't make the roster tbh.

He had a bad night, but youre delusional if you think that he’s the worst player on the team. Plumlee and Joe Harris are bad, where Joe Harris couldnt even stop Pat Connaughton from utterly abusing him on defense.

FWIW, Middleton was the worst player out there tonight. Kuzma, too, was quite terrible.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#227 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:38 am

Thoughts:

-Tatum was the best player out there tonight, easily a tier above everyone else
-the next tier was Kemba and Fox, both of which were just clearly better than the competition. Also, seeing Kemba joking around with Pop made me feel feelings again.
-Mitchell just loves to chuck. He’s a good player but sometimes he gets in that mode where you know he jas zero intention on passing the ball.
-Middleton looked horrendous. Ive heard he was bad all week, and he was probably the worst player on the floor tonight.
-Jaylen looked horrendous. I heard he looked real good in practice so this was a surprise. He looked like he was pressing to try to score and looked much better in his final stint where he tried to pass significantly more than trying to shoot.
-Kuzma looked really bad. He had a late three and a dunk vs soft defense that will cause stats to hide his true impact, but he looked lost on offense and defense when he was out there.
-Joe Harris couldnt defend a chair
-I thought Thad Young played well, but not shocked that he was cut.
-Bagley should make the team, IMO. He was arguably the best big on the floor. His touch was a bit off in the game but it was impossible not to notice him.

I’m guessing Harris, White, Kuzma, Barnes and Plumlee get cut at the end of the day.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,676

Post#228 » by GoCeltics123 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:33 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:Thoughts:

-the next tier was Kemba and Fox, both of which were just clearly better than the competition. Also, seeing Kemba joking around with Pop made me feel feelings again.
-Mitchell just loves to chuck. He’s a good player but sometimes he gets in that mode where you know he jas zero intention on passing the ball.
-Middleton looked horrendous. Ive heard he was bad all week, and he was probably the worst player on the floor tonight.
-Jaylen looked horrendous. I heard he looked real good in practice so this was a surprise. He looked like he was pressing to try to score and looked much better in his final stint where he tried to pass significantly more than trying to shoot.
-Kuzma looked really bad. He had a late three and a dunk vs soft defense that will cause stats to hide his true impact, but he looked lost on offense and defense when he was out there.
-Bagley should make the team, IMO. He was arguably the best big on the floor. His touch was a bit off in the game but it was impossible not to notice him.

I’m guessing Harris, White, Kuzma, Barnes and Plumlee get cut at the end of the day.

Middleton kills us, but I honestly wonder if he's one of those guys who has a big decline once he gets paid
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#229 » by Feed Your Head » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:19 pm

I've been telling y'all, Tatum is going to have a HUGE year, playing within the offense as well. 22/7/3.5 on 47/39/85 splits. Will get to the line 5-6 times a night too.

You saw it last season, dude was caught in the middle, way too indecisive. I think he will be the best 2 way player on team USA, and this tournament will springboard him into a superstar season.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#230 » by Darth Celtic » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:27 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:Anybody find a Boxscore?

OK I found the Boxscore:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/live-stats/2019/mnt/box-score-mnt-white-blue-game.aspx

Kris Middleton looked as bad as his practices and he started over tatum. Barf.

Tatum with 17 pts on 75% shooting. Must have got away from that toxic locker room long enough.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#231 » by Darth Celtic » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:32 pm

I actually loved when Plumlee was on the court. I knew he'd play good defense and when the ball went up, he'd rebound. Look at his plus minus. It was plus 20. Brook Lopez was just awful. He just ran around pushing guys and getting fouls. I'd take John Collins over Bagley, but I'd take Plumlee too over Lopez. He's there to guard the few big 5's, but i'd rather go athletic at the 5 regardless.

Pretty sure the chair would destroy Harris 1 on 1. Sorry Prokorov, the best player on the US team is Tatum.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#232 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:38 pm

The Comedian wrote:I've been telling y'all, Tatum is going to have a HUGE year, playing within the offense as well. 22/7/3.5 on 47/39/85 splits. Will get to the line 5-6 times a night too.

You saw it last season, dude was caught in the middle, way too indecisive. I think he will be the best 2 way player on team USA, and this tournament will springboard him into a superstar season.

Tatum played great D last night as well, i forgot to mention that earlier.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#233 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:40 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:

I actually loved when Plumlee was on the court. I knew he'd play good defense and when the ball went up, he'd rebound. Look at his plus minus. It was plus 20. Brook Lopez was just awful. He just ran around pushing guys and getting fouls. I'd take John Collins over Bagley, but I'd take Plumlee too over Lopez. He's there to guard the few big 5's, but i'd rather go athletic at the 5 regardless.

Pretty sure the chair would destroy Harris 1 on 1. Sorry Prokorov, the best player on the US team is Tatum.

Fair— Plumlee looked better than Lopez. He could make it over him for sure. Could see both Bucks players being cut.

Joe Harris would absolutely get crossed over by a chair. His defense was pathetic. Kyrie-Prince-Harris-Jordan playing defense next year will be one of my favorite things to watch. Will be Cavs level poor.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#234 » by Darth Celtic » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:44 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:

Fair— Plumlee looked better than Lopez. He could make it over him for sure. Could see both Bucks players being cut.

Joe Harris would absolutely get crossed over by a chair. His defense was pathetic. Kyrie-Prince-Harris-Jordan playing defense next year will be one of my favorite things to watch. Will be Cavs level poor.

My god until you posted it I didn't realize that could be an actual lineup for the nets next year.....
lon3lytoaster
Head Coach
And1: 5,529

Post#235 » by lon3lytoaster » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:55 pm

Tatum off the catch and shoot was beautiful last night. And that acrobat layup.. my goodness.

Looked really, really good.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#236 » by Slartibartfast » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:56 pm

Kuzma's hair is the worst I've seen since Marcus' dusty cheetoh curls.
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#237 » by Roddy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:01 pm

Read on Twitter
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#238 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:10 pm

My love for the FIBA Celtics >>> my love for the 2018/19 Celtics. Cannot wait to root for a likable bunch again.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#239 » by Feed Your Head » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:10 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
The Comedian wrote:I've been telling y'all, Tatum is going to have a HUGE year, playing within the offense as well. 22/7/3.5 on 47/39/85 splits. Will get to the line 5-6 times a night too.

Tatum may never be a great playmaker, though i feel he will be good enough. But him being such a good defender more than makes up for it IMO, he's going to have a huge year on both sides of the ball. He does need to get better against fours in the post, but that's his only real weakness on D.

Jaylen is better man to man when he's engaged, but Tatum is a much, much better team defender. I really feel like people are sleeping on him going into this yeae.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#240 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:24 pm

The Comedian wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Tatum may never be a great playmaker, though i feel he will be good enough. But him being such a good defender more than makes up for it IMO, he's going to have a huge year on both sides of the ball. He does need to get better against fours in the post, but that's his only real weakness on D.

Jaylen is better man to man when he's engaged, but Tatum is a much, much better team defender. I really feel like people are sleeping on him going into this yeae.

I need to see more [obviously], but I’m growing increasingly optimistic that Tatum will be our best player next year.

Im also growing increasingly optimistic that Kemba is prepared to let Tatum take that leap and will do all thats in his power to augment this. Kyrie, for all his talent advantages, would never let Tatum take this leap.

Return to Boston Celtics