Moderator: ijspeelman

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Cavs 2019 off-season 

Post#141 » by Stillwater » Fri Aug 9, 2019 6:40 pm

Context wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Context wrote:Any news on Marquese Chriss?

I would hope that experiment is over but who knows given how thin we are at PF.

I have him on my fantasy team- hoping he goes to china or finally displays his potential :lol:

somebody will pick him up for bench energy.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Post#142 » by jbk1234 » Fri Aug 9, 2019 6:42 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:According to the Clippers board he can't dribble or shoot. His advanced numbers are really, really bad on the offensive end.

Perhaps he's on the team to be happy riding the bench (something Nwaba wasn't ready to do) and make life hell for Sexton, Garland, and Porter Jr in practice?

otoh, Thornwell has some history as a decent 3pt shooter, but for some reason barely took any 3pt shots last year. So, maybe Beilein is interested in developing him in a 3&d role as a guy who can play next to Sexton or Garland and clean up their defensive mess.

Remember, we also tried to sign 30 year old Justin Holiday - another defensive player who unlike Thornwell had no problem hoisting 3's but struggles to shoot them at league average.

The last 2 signings of Macura and Thornwell definitely add defensive depth to the second unit and definitely add 3 point shooting esp in Macura's case. Thorwell is not the proto NBA athlete but his iq much like Macura's is elite...he can ball.
I think you could put Thorwell in a FVV type role on a contender and he would be just as impressive.
As far as that goes you could put JP Macura in a Clarkson role off the bench very easily and he happens to be better at sharing the basketball when you are not asking him to score.
I wonder how many of the late pickups are just for training camp and how many will actually stay on the roster. But given this is still early in the rebuild and many vets will be gone at the DL or next summer it is wise for them to be considering retaining some of these undervalued high iq players for long term depth.

I hope you're right Stillwater. I have noticed you're pretty high on about 70% of the young guys in the league and I'm not sure that statistically speaking it's going to work out that way.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Context
RealGM
And1: 11,448

Post#143 » by Context » Fri Aug 9, 2019 6:45 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Context wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
I would hope that experiment is over but who knows given how thin we are at PF.

I have him on my fantasy team- hoping he goes to china or finally displays his potential :lol:

:nonono:
Spoiler:
"Against All Odds" "The Watch"
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#144 » by jbk1234 » Fri Aug 9, 2019 6:52 pm

Context wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Context wrote:I have him on my fantasy team- hoping he goes to china or finally displays his potential :lol:

Honestly, the only thing he does well, aside from the occasional garbage bucket, is that he's figured out he has to play really physical to have any chance at sticking in the league and he can get under the skin of better players during the regular season because of that. He can also pick up three fouls in five minutes if the wrong officiating crew is on the floor, but it's still his best shot.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#145 » by JonFromVA » Fri Aug 9, 2019 7:09 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Perhaps he's on the team to be happy riding the bench (something Nwaba wasn't ready to do) and make life hell for Sexton, Garland, and Porter Jr in practice?

otoh, Thornwell has some history as a decent 3pt shooter, but for some reason barely took any 3pt shots last year. So, maybe Beilein is interested in developing him in a 3&d role as a guy who can play next to Sexton or Garland and clean up their defensive mess.

Remember, we also tried to sign 30 year old Justin Holiday - another defensive player who unlike Thornwell had no problem hoisting 3's but struggles to shoot them at league average.

The last 2 signings of Macura and Thornwell definitely add defensive depth to the second unit and definitely add 3 point shooting esp in Macura's case. Thorwell is not the proto NBA athlete but his iq much like Macura's is elite...he can ball.
I think you could put Thorwell in a FVV type role on a contender and he would be just as impressive.
As far as that goes you could put JP Macura in a Clarkson role off the bench very easily and he happens to be better at sharing the basketball when you are not asking him to score.
I wonder how many of the late pickups are just for training camp and how many will actually stay on the roster. But given this is still early in the rebuild and many vets will be gone at the DL or next summer it is wise for them to be considering retaining some of these undervalued high iq players for long term depth.

I hope you're right Stillwater. I have noticed you're pretty high on about 70% of the young guys in the league and I'm not sure that statistically speaking it's going to work out that way.

That's the beauty of youth. Even when they stink for 4 years straight, you can still hang on to something they did, and hope they're just a late bloomer.

And if we are in fact doing a better job identifying young players who have the right character, work-ethic, and love for the game AND developing them; there's a fair chance that could be the case for some of our guys.

Even Lasagna Flop turned out to be a contributor once he saw his NBA life flash before him. Danny Green got cut by the Cavs and the Spurs before the light went on for him. Joe Harris unfortunately never got a fair shake as he got hurt and we cut him to save some bucks. We just need to figure out how to close the circle on some of these guys, rather than act as a minor league for some other team's benefit.

Koby Altman and staff have a lot to prove, but they've at least taken some positive steps.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#146 » by Stillwater » Fri Aug 9, 2019 9:30 pm

Context wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Context wrote:I have him on my fantasy team- hoping he goes to china or finally displays his potential :lol:

Maybe NY will sign him to help the tank effort...they sure as hell aint getting any big name FA after the snub this season.
Proving the so called bigger market draw is no longer real if the org is run by morons
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#147 » by Stillwater » Fri Aug 9, 2019 10:29 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Yep I like what the front office has done quite a bit this summer and things are looking up for sure. I am somewhat annoyed by the refusal to add a legit rim protector , but I guess they figure that is a goal later in the rebuild.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#148 » by JonFromVA » Fri Aug 9, 2019 10:52 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:The last 2 signings of Macura and Thornwell definitely add defensive depth to the second unit and definitely add 3 point shooting esp in Macura's case. Thorwell is not the proto NBA athlete but his iq much like Macura's is elite...he can ball.

Yep I like what the front office has done quite a bit this summer and things are looking up for sure. I am somewhat annoyed by the refusal to add a legit rim protector , but I guess they figure that is a goal later in the rebuild.

Well technically there's a small chance they like Henson more than as trade bait, think Bolden might do something, or that they'll discover Zizic is actually athletic if he ever gets in to shape.

Or ...

They want more shooters!

And/Or ...

They're trying to make sure we keep our pick next year.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#149 » by Stillwater » Fri Aug 9, 2019 10:56 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Well technically there's a small chance they like Henson more than as trade bait, think Bolden might do something, or that they'll discover Zizic is actually athletic if he ever gets in to shape.

Or ...

They want more shooters!

And/Or ...

Right nobody knows what the roster will look like after this season but I think of the bigs outside of Nance, Henson has a very solid chance of remaining with the org and so I do think they will not move him unless a unexpected offer gets thrown at them at the DL.
Personally think TT is the most likely one traded though.
As far as Zizic I think he has proven himself at least worthy of retaining at his current pay scale and would not be moved for less than replacement value( not just as a throw in).
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#150 » by gflem » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:48 am

Stillwater wrote:
Context wrote:
Stillwater wrote:somebody will pick him up for bench energy.

Maybe NY will sign him to help the tank effort...they sure as hell aint getting any big name FA after the snub this season.
Proving the so called bigger market draw is no longer real if the org is run by morons

Well, they already have signed 9 free agent PF's, so yeah maybe they will sign him too. He just has zero bball iq. Seems like a nice enough young guy, athletic enough to be an NBA player, but his best value is being a guy to take a roster spot on a tanking team.
gflem
Analyst

Post#151 » by gflem » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:54 am

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Yep I like what the front office has done quite a bit this summer and things are looking up for sure. I am somewhat annoyed by the refusal to add a legit rim protector , but I guess they figure that is a goal later in the rebuild.

Or ...

They want more shooters!

And/Or ...

Right nobody knows what the roster will look like after this season but I think of the bigs outside of Nance, Henson has a very solid chance of remaining with the org and so I do think they will not move him unless a unexpected offer gets thrown at them at the DL.
As far as Zizic I think he has proven himself at least worthy of retaining at his current pay scale and would not be moved for less than replacement value( not just as a throw in).

I think Zizic is a third C or 5th big, however you want to classify it, and I also think the team will be willing to move TT and Henson at the DL regardless of where they are in the standings. Neither are in the long term plans at this point.
Priority one is figuring out if Sexton and Garland can play together, two is to keep their pick next year. After that finding a C that can play today's NBA game, and figuring out what to do with KLove in order are next on the agenda.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#152 » by Revenged25 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:07 am

gflem wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Or ...

They want more shooters!

And/Or ...

I think Zizic is a third C or 5th big, however you want to classify it, and I also think the team will be willing to move TT and Henson at the DL regardless of where they are in the standings. Neither are in the long term plans at this point.
Priority one is figuring out if Sexton and Garland can play together, two is to keep their pick next year. After that finding a C that can play today's NBA game, and figuring out what to do with KLove in order are next on the agenda.

I think keeping the upcoming 1st is less of a concern than people think. I think they would rather the team play well and realize they didn't make a mistake so they just miss the playoffs than trying to purposely lose and not get to find out what htey really have because they never played meaningful basketball all year since they were tanking to keep their pick.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#153 » by Stillwater » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:12 am

gflem wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Or ...

They want more shooters!

And/Or ...

I disagree about Sexton/Garland as an experiment... I am convinced the front office is dedicated to that backcourt and would not have taken Darius if they were not.
I also disagree Henson cannot be part of the team after this season as he will not demand the salary he is on now and can be had for much cheaper as nobody else is going to offer him more.
I like him as a 3rd big that can shoot some protect the rim well and provide solid fundamentals in the front court making smart basketball plays.
Zizic showed flashes of being more than a 5th big but yeah he needs more athleticism and shooting to match Beilein's system as more than 4th big.

I think they will absolutely shop TT , Knight and Love at the deadline and will take calls about expiring's like Henson,Delly and JC but ultimately the later 3 are retainable if nobody offers worthwhile returns.
gflem
Analyst

Post#154 » by gflem » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:18 am

Revenged25 wrote:
gflem wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Right nobody knows what the roster will look like after this season but I think of the bigs outside of Nance, Henson has a very solid chance of remaining with the org and so I do think they will not move him unless a unexpected offer gets thrown at them at the DL.

I think keeping the upcoming 1st is less of a concern than people think. I think they would rather the team play well and realize they didn't make a mistake so they just miss the playoffs than trying to purposely lose and not get to find out what htey really have because they never played meaningful basketball all year since they were tanking to keep their pick.

Didnt make a mistake on what/who? Playing meaningful basketball can have different meanings, does winning 30 ish games make the season meaningful? Does giving the rookies minutes to acclimate to the NBA and possibly costing the team wins to see if they can be core players going forward make those games meaningful? Im not trying to question you here, just wondering if giving the young guys more time and giving up a few wins doesnt serve a dual purpose here.
In a season where it is obvious the team doesnt really expect to contend what is the harm in overplaying the rookies and sacrificing a handful of wins in order to keep an asset that we would otherwise be giving away? Of course we dont want to send the message that winning doesnt matter to the players, or fans for that matter, but just allowing assets like a frp to go away isnt the norm in todays NBA.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#155 » by Revenged25 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:32 am

gflem wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
gflem wrote:I think Zizic is a third C or 5th big, however you want to classify it, and I also think the team will be willing to move TT and Henson at the DL regardless of where they are in the standings. Neither are in the long term plans at this point.

Didnt make a mistake on what/who? Playing meaningful basketball can have different meanings, does winning 30 ish games make the season meaningful? Does giving the rookies minutes to acclimate to the NBA and possibly costing the team wins to see if they can be core players going forward make those games meaningful? Im not trying to question you here, just wondering if giving the young guys more time and giving up a few wins doesnt serve a dual purpose here.
In a season where it is obvious the team doesnt really expect to contend what is the harm in overplaying the rookies and sacrificing a handful of wins in order to keep an asset that we would otherwise be giving away? Of course we dont want to send the message that winning doesnt matter to the players, or fans for that matter, but just allowing assets like a frp to go away isnt the norm in todays NBA.

Didn't make a mistake in their drafting the past 2 drafts. That Sexton/Garland can play together, that KPJ is the G/F 6th man they want to replace Clarkson, and that Windler will develop into a Korver-esque player. Winning 30+ games will show that those things are true, or at least most of them, and that they are on the right track to rebuilding. They can get another 1st round pick easily enough at the deadline, or even at the end of the season taking on bad contracts for picks if they wish to, so keeping their 1st should be the least of their concerns.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#156 » by Stillwater » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:23 am

Revenged25 wrote:
gflem wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

Didn't make a mistake in their drafting the past 2 drafts. That Sexton/Garland can play together, that KPJ is the G/F 6th man they want to replace Clarkson, and that Windler will develop into a Korver-esque player. Winning 30+ games will show that those things are true, or at least most of them, and that they are on the right track to rebuilding. They can get another 1st round pick easily enough at the deadline, or even at the end of the season taking on bad contracts for picks if they wish to, so keeping their 1st should be the least of their concerns.

If for some reason the Cavs are playing too good in the first half of the season and are on track to lose the pick it would likely be because they are overplaying vets in order to shop them along with them playing for their next contracts.
I mean if they are 500 at the dl and trade Love and JC, they wont win enough games without them to lose the pick no matter how well they play.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#157 » by jbk1234 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:53 pm

gflem wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Or ...

They want more shooters!

And/Or ...

I foresee having issues with both Clarkson and TT in a contract year tbh. If we get decent offers for either guy early, we should take them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
gflem
Analyst

Post#158 » by gflem » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:03 pm

Stillwater wrote:
gflem wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
I disagree about Sexton/Garland as an experiment... I am convinced the front office is dedicated to that backcourt and would not have taken Darius if they were not.
I also disagree Henson cannot be part of the team after this season as he will not demand the salary he is on now and can be had for much cheaper as nobody else is going to offer him more.
I like him as a 3rd big that can shoot some protect the rim well and provide solid fundamentals in the front court making smart basketball plays.
Zizic showed flashes of being more than a 5th big but yeah he needs more athleticism and shooting to match Beilein's system as more than 4th big.

I think they will absolutely shop TT , Knight and Love at the deadline and will take calls about expiring's like Henson,Delly and JC but ultimately the later 3 are retainable if nobody offers worthwhile returns.

I believe the team is dedicated to making the backcourt work, but that doesnt mean it will. I would assume the team didnt just say "well, lets draft Garland and hope it works out". As for Henson, sure I think he can be on the team after this season, but I think the team is in asset collection mode, and he is expiring and still can be useful to another team. That is why I think he will likely be moved at the dl.
As for the pick, if the team doesnt move Love, TT, and or Clarkson then I think it will convey. But, they arent getting anything close to a top ten pick back in any dl moves, even if they do move any of those three players it will be to a contending team for late firsts at best. So, one more year of tanking to keep the pick and collect further assets while giving the young guys big minutes to hopefully help with their development would seem to be the way to go this season to me.
I dont know that the team is thinking that way though.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#159 » by Stillwater » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:53 pm

gflem wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
gflem wrote:

I believe the team is dedicated to making the backcourt work, but that doesnt mean it will. I would assume the team didnt just say "well, lets draft Garland and hope it works out". As for Henson, sure I think he can be on the team after this season, but I think the team is in asset collection mode, and he is expiring and still can be useful to another team. That is why I think he will likely be moved at the dl.
As for the pick, if the team doesnt move Love, TT, and or Clarkson then I think it will convey. But, they arent getting anything close to a top ten pick back in any dl moves, even if they do move any of those three players it will be to a contending team for late firsts at best. So, one more year of tanking to keep the pick and collect further assets while giving the young guys big minutes to hopefully help with their development would seem to be the way to go this season to me.
I dont know that the team is thinking that way though.

My feeling on this is that they will improvise as the season goes. But are walking into it with the intention of slowly inserting the rookies into the system meanwhile vets are getting more minutes than they necessarily deserve in order to boost DL stocks.
But there are way too many variables .
Example: If they intentionally play a Vet to boost his stock and he also is the best option for them in that role to win games, then nobody on the roster has a gripe, only fans or the front office wanting to keep the pick...

But if Beilein over plays vets because they fit his system better to start the season and doing so gives him a better chance to win and on top of that he has the backing of the front office to boost their stock before the DL , we won't see what this core is going to look like together until March
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#160 » by jbk1234 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:48 am

Probably for the best.
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers