How Is Broekhoff's Defense?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#1 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:18 am

I haven't really paid attention to this part of his game (much like I didn't with Justin Jackson), so any kind of insight would help.

Thanks in advance.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 849

Re: How Is Broekhoff's Defense? 

Post#2 » by Teffer10 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:34 pm

Broek's defense is probably severely underrated because of his ability to shoot 3s.

I watched his footwork and his play in general aside from his ability to shoot and the guy is much more athletic than you would think.
He has some hops and his lateral quickness isn't that bad. He is also kind of scrappy like Jackson. He isn't, nor ever will be a defensive stopper but anyone who thinks his defense is horrible didn't watch his game closely. I think he will get a better look this season because I don't see DFS elevating his game and I'm not sold that Jackson's ceiling is anything more than Matt Barnes.

I honestly couldn't figure out why Rick didn't fall in love with Broek and give him more attention the latter part of last season. I do think his ability to shoot will get him more minutes early on and he'll be able to showcase his other abilities. I heard Cooperstein say the Mavs will probably lead the league in 3pt attempts by far this season so I look for Broek to eventually become a key contributor in that regard.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Re: How Is Broekhoff's Defense? 

Post#3 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:25 am

I'll have to keep an eye on him. I watched some Justin Jackson highlights. He has potential. He could be grittier and move a little better laterally. He's not as quick as I'd like him to be, but maybe the muscle he added this summer can help him with his lateral movement and agility. Ideally he gets a quicker first step.

If I remember correctly, Broekhoff's first step ain't that bad. He has potential too I guess.

Return to Dallas Mavericks