ImageImageImage

Can Brown/Tatum make leap to all-star level this year?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Re: Can Brown/Tatum make leap to all-star level this year? 

Post#21 » by Feed Your Head » Tue Aug 6, 2019 11:16 am

thomas1897 wrote:2020 will be a year for the Celtics and Brad Stevens to just do it. Brown has the total tool box of skills on both sides of the ball. Tatum skills are on the offensive side of the ball but can he become a better rebounder and defender only time will tell. The mental aspect of their play will be very important to each player as they develop this year. Can Brad Stevens instill a high achievement level similar players such as Isaiah Thomas and Jae Crowder. Can Brown and Tatum bring a strong work and mental ethic to training camp and throughout the entire season for 2019-2020. Brown is the sleeper who I believe can be a difference maker. If he applies himself and is mature to handle the tough defensive assignments,rebound and take high percentage shots. He will become the difference maker in games. Weaknesses for Brown can be directed to his mental skills to keep focused and not get lost defending or taking bad shots. Another area is his passing skills should be improved when his shot is not available. Tatum has a different set of skills that are on the offensive side of the ball that can be related to having the ball to create offense. His weaknesses are shot selection, mediocre defense, rebounding and ego.

Tatum is already a plus defender, don't have any clue where him having issues on defense comes from. He struggles in the post against 4s, but that's it.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#22 » by cloverleaf » Tue Aug 6, 2019 6:18 pm

thomas1897 wrote:2020 will be a year for the Celtics and Brad Stevens to just do it. Brown has the total tool box of skills on both sides of the ball. Tatum skills are on the offensive side of the ball but can he become a better rebounder and defender only time will tell. The mental aspect of their play will be very important to each player as they develop this year. Can Brad Stevens instill a high achievement level similar players such as Isaiah Thomas and Jae Crowder. Can Brown and Tatum bring a strong work and mental ethic to training camp and throughout the entire season for 2019-2020. Brown is the sleeper who I believe can be a difference maker. If he applies himself and is mature to handle the tough defensive assignments,rebound and take high percentage shots. He will become the difference maker in games. Weaknesses for Brown can be directed to his mental skills to keep focused and not get lost defending or taking bad shots. Another area is his passing skills should be improved when his shot is not available. Tatum has a different set of skills that are on the offensive side of the ball that can be related to having the ball to create offense. His weaknesses are shot selection, mediocre defense, rebounding and ego.

Wow--I don't see it like that at all. JB to me is lacking in skills as basic as dribbling, passing, court vision and decision-making (both on O and on team D). Let alone FTs, etc. But he has such athleticism and driving passion that he could become an AS in a few ways: 1) as a Wilkins style offensive explosion that won't be denied, 2) by learning to become an all-around elite defender, or 3) by improving his skills enough, given that he is still relatively young, to grow into the more traditional, all-around-star route.

Tatum to me is superbly skilled all around, and just needs a little more strength, proper focus and experience to bring it all together (potentially until done, of course).
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#23 » by OldCeltics » Wed Aug 7, 2019 1:58 am

Read on Twitter
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,952

Post#24 » by 31to6 » Wed Aug 7, 2019 3:36 am

OldCeltics wrote:
Read on Twitter

Got to love the lack of fade-away midrange jumpsuits and Tatum’s bigger, thicker frame in that video. All our off-season hopes are coming true!

Oh wait. Well at least now we know Bam Adebayo is apparently just as good a shooter as our guys. Nice.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
ThumbsUpBaby
Head Coach
And1: 10,824

Post#25 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Wed Aug 7, 2019 4:13 am

I don't think Brown will ever reach All-Star level. If he does, maybe as an injury reserve and 1 or 2 votes in from the coaches. Overall, I think he'll be at Middleton's level, which isn't bad at all.

Tatum, on the other hand, definitely will.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#26 » by cloverleaf » Wed Aug 7, 2019 11:08 am

Okay, I don't take the new, more mature Jayson Tatum seriously until he stops with this "All my stats were better" crap. He is out there repeating it on camera again this week: https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/celtics-jayson-tatum-wants-more-bounce-back-season-i-want-be-one-best

Does it not count that he declined in FG%, 3pt%, 2pt%, TS%, FTr, WS/48, blocks/36, steal %, OBPM, DBPM, BPM, VORP, FG% from 10-16, FG% from 16-3, on court +/-/100, on-off +/-/100, eFG%, ORtg, DRtg, etc.?

Sure, his MPG and USG were both up a tick, giving him some higher raw numbers and he assisted and rebounded at somewhat better rates, but his overall dishonesty here is breath-taking and insulting.
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#27 » by OldCeltics » Wed Aug 7, 2019 11:54 am

cloverleaf wrote:Okay, I don't take the new, more mature Jayson Tatum seriously until he stops with this "All my stats were better" crap. He is out there repeating it on camera again this week: https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/celtics-jayson-tatum-wants-more-bounce-back-season-i-want-be-one-best

Does it not count that he declined in FG%, 3pt%, 2pt%, TS%, FTr, WS/48, blocks/36, steal %, OBPM, DBPM, BPM, VORP, FG% from 10-16, FG% from 16-3, on court +/-/100, on-off +/-/100, eFG%, ORtg, DRtg, etc.?

Sure, his MPG and USG were both up a tick, giving him some higher raw numbers and he assisted and rebounded at somewhat better rates, but his overall dishonesty here is breath-taking and insulting.
I think he doesn't care about efficiency, but instead raw numbers. This is not criticism, just fact.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#28 » by cloverleaf » Wed Aug 7, 2019 4:29 pm

OldCeltics wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:Okay, I don't take the new, more mature Jayson Tatum seriously until he stops with this "All my stats were better" crap. He is out there repeating it on camera again this week: https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/celtics-jayson-tatum-wants-more-bounce-back-season-i-want-be-one-best

I think he doesn't care about efficiency, but instead raw numbers. This is not criticism, just fact.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app

If that is so and/or it is not criticism, it should be.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#29 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:23 am

Here's one more, Jaylen dunking on Myles Turner:

Read on Twitter

These are encouraging for Brown - he's not at Tatum's level yet in instincts/habits, skill or creativity, but he's inching closer, and he's ahead of him physically.

Hayward to ORL for AG/Fournier?

You can flip Aaron Gordon for Myles Turner, or a Fournier/Rob Williams package..

Kemba/Smart/Edwards/Wanamaker
Jaylen/Langford
Tatum/Ojeleye
Aaron Gordon/Grant Williams
Myles Turner/Kanter/Theis/Poirier
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#30 » by return2glory » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:43 pm

ThumbsUpBaby wrote:I don't think Brown will ever reach All-Star level.

You are in the minority on this board. I’ve been saying the same thing for a few years now. Again, I hope I’m wrong on that for our team’s sake, but I agree with your opinion on Brown.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#31 » by Feed Your Head » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:12 pm

I will sig bet anyone from this board or another that Tatum makes the all star team this year. Also am confident that he does it without playing selfish basketball.

Obviously I'm bullish lol.
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,020

Post#32 » by Ben-N1ce » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:44 pm

Jaylen still looks more like an athlete who plays basketball than an basketball player that is athletic. He does not do basic things well like dribble nor passing. Still loses the ball or looks out of control on weak dribble moves far too much.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,855

Post#33 » by 24istheLAW » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:46 pm

Jayson looked like the best player on team USA earlier today. The caveat is that the international 3 point line is shorter.... so the quick release and comfort from 3 might be just long 2s...
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#34 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:18 am

The Comedian wrote:I will sig bet anyone from this board or another that Tatum makes the all star team this year. Also am confident that he does it without playing selfish basketball.

Obviously I'm bullish lol.

I wouldn’t put my money on it, but it could happen. He doesn’t have to become first team all-NBA 27 yo Jayson Tatum, he just has to cross a threshold of strength and presence to raise his game significantly.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#35 » by cloverleaf » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:02 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Here's one more, Jaylen dunking on Myles Turner:

Read on Twitter

These are encouraging for Brown - he's not at Tatum's level yet in instincts/habits, skill or creativity, but he's inching closer, and he's ahead of him physically.

Hayward to ORL for AG/Fournier?

You can flip Aaron Gordon for Myles Turner, or a Fournier/Rob Williams package..

Kemba/Smart/Edwards/Wanamaker
Jaylen/Langford
Tatum/Ojeleye
Aaron Gordon/Grant Williams
Myles Turner/Kanter/Theis/Poirier

You're dreaming if you think Hayward and R Williams will get you Turner and Gordon.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#36 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:03 pm

My goal for Tatum this season: I want him to follow in the steps of Ben Simmons and win the Rookie of the Year in his age 21 season
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#37 » by Slartibartfast » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:48 pm

24istheLAW wrote:Jayson looked like the best player on team USA earlier today. The caveat is that the international 3 point line is shorter.... so the quick release and comfort from 3 might be just long 2s...

The Glen Rice effect.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,966

Post#38 » by sam_I_am » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:11 pm

Steve Kerr: Brown and Tatum are “on a hell of a path.” They are “blossoming “and “only going to get better.”

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEBKHkOPWLMTiyt9f1Q-5zLkqGQgEKhAIACoHCAowjoL-CjC4wvYCMJ-F3QU?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,966

Post#39 » by sam_I_am » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:18 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:My goal for Tatum this season: I want him to follow in the steps of Ben Simmons and win the Rookie of the Year in his age 21 season

The competition will be fierce. I bet on Simmons winning it again. Fultz is my choice for 2020/21.
boston_fan_ct
Sophomore
And1: 23

Post#40 » by boston_fan_ct » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:29 pm

all star-level? what does that mean? play well enough to make the all-star team this year? i say yes, they both have that potential. if you mean become a leader of the team that leads them to a title, and become a perennial all star? hard to make those predictions at 20, and 23 at season start. if i had to guess from what I have seen so far, i say maybe with JB, and likely with Tatum. i won't go into all the details why, they each have their own strengths, the one that gives tatum the lead is his pure shooting ability and mid-range game.

Return to Boston Celtics