ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston Vincent Poirier!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 636

Re: Welcome to Boston Vincent Poirier! 

Post#241 » by remi_222 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:11 am

Homerclease wrote:
remi_222 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:Nope, didn’t say they were equal at all. Just that neither of them mean anything when it comes to the NBA regular season.

The only one with any actual NBA experience is Williams.

Edit: Guys like Wanamaker and Larkin were starters in Europe as well and put up good numbers to boot. They were 15th men in the NBA. They are scrubs. Why is Poirier expected to be any different?

:banghead: :banghead: c'mon dont be that closeminded !
With the time NBA has learned a lot from European bball ! Talents from Pau Dirk TP to Luka and Giannis are there everyyear to show that Europe and the world in general has definitely somethng to offer to the NBA and most likely to the way to play bball in the US!
The NBA is the best League in the world, no debate! But having a 1yr in College + a few SL games means more than 2 years in Euroleague (vs CSKA, Fenerbache, Panatinaikos ...) and competing VS Malaga, Barcelona, Real MAdrid, Vitoria, Valencia during the regular season means more than playing iso players and little college ???
Btw all team listed are at least at the same level as the Knicks, the Suns, the Bulls and the Cavs

Nobody is arguing any of the points you made in your post.

sorry quoting the wrong post
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#242 » by cloverleaf » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:20 am

Darth Celtic wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
Poirier is stronger, taller and more experienced. I also think for him to come if he really left money on the table, it wasn't to back up Bob Williams.

R. Williams was Drafted. Poirier was in the Draft, and went Un-Drafted.
If Poirier was all that good, then he would have already been in the NBA. IJS

Everything I read he was late to basketball and a late bloomer. Two years ago he signed with a different team and he really started to develope. The time from prior year and this year was huge I guess in overall basketball play. It does happen, even to US players. I mean Whiteside bounced around overseas and dleague, then had a couple of all star ish years. I mean, he's not really an all star, but I'd take him on the team at the same money as Poirer. Maybe Poirier is the Euro Whiteside?

I mean, I think it's unlikely but Theis was laughed at as the "other" gordon Hayward all offseason till he played and before he got injured, was a + player for us.

There is no question but that a Euro League player could come over here and play very well, it is just worth noting that most of those who have done so came in through the draft. Poirier could of course prove a very good player, but there is not a great record of those in his path doing so. Quoting great players who were drafted from Europe doesn't make it a no-brainer that he is going to be better than Williams, that's all.

(And Theis is a decent player. His value in his prime was just shown in FA, when he signed at $5M/year. Not great, but not a scrub either.)
Jzh
Freshman
And1: 104

Post#243 » by Jzh » Thu Aug 1, 2019 12:41 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:I doubt that Poirier jumps over R. Williams at the Center spot, or in playing time in general.
TimeLord has already played in our system, and done quite well. Poirier hasn't even been in the NBA.

Poirier is stronger, taller and more experienced. I also think for him to come if he really left money on the table, it wasn't to back up Bob Williams.

R. Williams was Drafted. Poirier was in the Draft, and went Un-Drafted.
If Poirier was all that good, then he would have already been in the NBA. IJS

He started basketball at the age of 17 and has done an unexpected progression since then.

The guy is 7'1, with a very positive mindset where he blends in a team doing what he's asked to do. He's incredibly mobile given his size and he's quite good at defending the PnR.

The only thing he'll need is adjustment, so presumably a year, and then should be a very servicable backup at the center position.

Draft is based on potential so it clearly make sense he wasn't drafted in 2015 especially given his age. Still players have different learning curves and he's among europeans who have drastically improved in recent years.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#244 » by 24istheLAW » Thu Aug 1, 2019 2:29 pm

Jzh wrote:He started basketball at the age of 17 and has done an unexpected progression since then.

The guy is 7'1, with a very positive mindset where he blends in a team doing what he's asked to do. He's incredibly mobile given his size and he's quite good at defending the PnR.

The only thing he'll need is adjustment, so presumably a year, and then should be a very servicable backup at the center position.

Draft is based on potential so it clearly make sense he wasn't drafted in 2015 especially given his age. Still players have different learning curves and he's among europeans who have drastically improved in recent years.

Do you follow European basketball?

I don't but this twitter thread definitely made me not optimistic about his perimeter and P&R defense:
Read on Twitter

From what I've seen he can evidently rebound, set screens, dive, and run the floor. But defending away from the basket is what would make him a complete enough player to be in the rotation.
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#245 » by Roddy » Tue Aug 6, 2019 12:14 pm

Exhibition game. France lost against Turkey.

Poirier has been good except the 3 turnovers.

Box score : https://www.fibalivestats.com/u/FFBB/1311112/bs_en_AU.html
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,902

Post#246 » by FlatearthZorro » Tue Aug 6, 2019 12:27 pm

Roddy wrote:Exhibition game. France lost against Turkey.

I like the rebounds off the bench. Hopefully we'd be a much improved rebounding team with Kanter/Poirier/Bob Williams this season.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
AKFO
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,734

Post#247 » by AKFO » Tue Aug 6, 2019 8:30 pm

24istheLAW wrote:
Jzh wrote:He started basketball at the age of 17 and has done an unexpected progression since then.

Do you follow European basketball?

I don't but this twitter thread definitely made me not optimistic about his perimeter and P&R defense:
Read on Twitter

From what I've seen he can evidently rebound, set screens, dive, and run the floor. But defending away from the basket is what would make him a complete enough player to be in the rotation.

Doesn't look great moving in this 2017 summer league video either

Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,273

Post#248 » by Gant » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:34 pm

Poirier and Gobert. (via reddit)

https://streamable.com/wu9d9
casspi
Ballboy
And1: 3

Vincent Poirier Welcome To Boston Celtics ● Best Plays & Highlights ● Brutal Dunks 

Post#249 » by casspi » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:34 am

He is gonna be the surprise of the year, great player with great potential!
the plays in this video are just INSANE!

OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Re: Vincent Poirier Welcome To Boston Celtics ● Best Plays & Highlights ● Brutal Dunks 

Post#250 » by OldCeltics » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:14 pm

I've literally never seen him score without a dunk. Has anyone seen Poirier shoot? :o
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,394

Re: Vincent Poirier Welcome To Boston Celtics ● Best Plays & Highlights ● Brutal Dunks 

Post#251 » by Triple7 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:37 pm

OldCeltics wrote:I've literally never seen him score without a dunk. Has anyone seen Poirier shoot? :o

There is a couple of plays in there where he shot the ball from outside. Pretty decent shooting form. At least we know he could score inside, rebound and defend the rim. If he could somehow have a decent shooting, that would be great.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#252 » by ParticleMan » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:03 pm

nice vid. as has been said before, he looks like a man among boys... when going up against 6-6 guys who can't jump. life will be different in the nba.

on the bright side, he seems to be a good p-n-r big man finisher. given kemba's proclivity for the p-n-r, that will be a good fit. my worry is on D. he looks decently fast for a big man but not with quick feet. he may get blown by or pick up a lot of fouls. i guess we'll see against nba level competition. if he can really hit that elbow j like he showed in that 1 clip, that's a major plus. but my guess is that it was more a fluke shot, which is why it made his highlight reel.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#253 » by Darth Celtic » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:30 pm

it seems what he does best and what Kanter does best is what Walker and Smart are also best at running. Remember how many oop dunks Horford had running those plays and he's not even great at it.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#254 » by Darth Celtic » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:25 pm

Roddy wrote:Exhibition game. France lost against Turkey.

6pts and 5 rebs in only 11 mins is good. Gobert had like 9 and 11 in 27m. 3 assists was nice too. one of the few players on the team with a positive +/-
Roddy
Head Coach

Post#255 » by Roddy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:11 pm

France 80-72 Montenegro

https://www.fibalivestats.com/u/FFBB/1311116/bs_en_AU.html

Poirier with 4 points (2/2), 1 rebound, 2 assists, 1 block in 14 minutes. Good game from him on the defensive end.
I'm so happy we didn't give Nikola Vucevic a contrat, this guy sucks !!!
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 636

Post#256 » by remi_222 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:50 pm

Roddy
Head Coach

Post#257 » by Roddy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:21 pm

France 86 - 72 Brazil

https://www.fibalivestats.com/u/FFBB/1311118/bs_en_AU.html

16pts (7/8), 7rbs, 4 asts, 1 block in 17 minutes for Poirier.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#258 » by Darth Celtic » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:25 pm

Roddy wrote:France 86 - 72 Brazil

https://www.fibalivestats.com/u/FFBB/1311118/bs_en_AU.html

16pts (7/8), 7rbs, 4 asts, 1 block in 17 minutes for Poirier.

Looking good. Needs to hit those free throws though.
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#259 » by Elrod is Back » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:34 pm

Poirier looks like he has a legit shot at rotation minutes. There is going to be some competition there, too.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#260 » by Darth Celtic » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:53 pm

Elrod is Back wrote:Poirier looks like he has a legit shot at rotation minutes. There is going to be some competition there, too.

From what I have seen so far, I guess Poirier will fill Baynes role and mins. Kanter will do Horford, maybe a min or so less a game. Williams will play spot mins as a 1 on 1 defender. Theis will fill same role and mins, when we need a stretch big to shoot some 3's and hope his defense is better this year.

Everyone with inside info say the timelord was a 2 year project before he got his chance. Makes sense as Kanter/Poirer/Theis can all get out of contracts after 1 year, and we have 3 picks again next year.

Return to Boston Celtics