ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Frank Ntilikina Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,116

Re: Official Frank Ntilikina Thread 

Post#1981 » by DOT » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:03 pm

2010 wrote:I’m likely late to the debate here but I think many believe Fiz isn’t holding the kids accountable cuz they didn’t see outright benchings, being pulled from the lineup for defensive slip-ups, and there was no calling guys out to the media.

Me personally, I hate that type of coaching. Call guys out in the film room, not through the media. Which is why I hated the Larry Brown and Phil Jackson old school tactics. That may have worked back in the days but today’s player is more sensitive and with social media 24/7coverage, and meme culture, it is not effective to operate putting players on blast like that.

What I will say in closure is that this season will determine a lot about Fiz’s coaching and developmental ability. There will be no tanking agenda so we should see him playing to win and a more obvious outlook on his developmental tactics.
I mean, there's a middle ground between benching guys after one mistake and not holding them accountable at all, which is what we're asking for

The kids should be given freedom to breathe, but if they start forming bad habits, that's a problem. Like, I'm not gonna say we should bench RJ or Knox for being bad at defense, cause they're gonna be bad. But if they're not trying, that's an issue

It's a tightrope you have to walk, and Fiz just didn't last year with Knox. Which is a problem cause Knox thinks he was being held accountable. So now of we start holding him accountable, it'll be that much harder to get him right, cause we didn't try to coax him out of the bad habits from the start

I'll give Fiz credit if he starts holding guys accountable, but he should have started last year. People think we want guys to be benched for the slightest mistake. Absolutely not, that's part of why Frank didn't really develop, cause his leash was too tight, and that's not a viable development strategy

But doing absolutely nothing is just as bad

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,053

Post#1982 » by Fat Kat » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:51 pm

2010 wrote:I’m likely late to the debate here but I think many believe Fiz isn’t holding the kids accountable cuz they didn’t see outright benchings, being pulled from the lineup for defensive slip-ups, and there was no calling guys out to the media.

Me personally, I hate that type of coaching. Call guys out in the film room, not through the media. Which is why I hated the Larry Brown and Phil Jackson old school tactics. That may have worked back in the days but today’s player is more sensitive and with social media 24/7coverage, and meme culture, it is not effective to operate putting players on blast like that.

What I will say in closure is that this season will determine a lot about Fiz’s coaching and developmental ability. There will be no tanking agenda so we should see him playing to win and a more obvious outlook on his developmental tactics.

I agree with your take on coaching style. Fiz got canned for calling Gasol out and I’m sure he’s learned his lesson. Having said that, I think the overall temperament of the team will change this year. Aggressive accountability is likely to come from within the player ranks. A few veterans will probably be empowered, and they’ll be the ones slapping the kids around.

It’ll be up to Fiz to divvy up minutes and I’m interested to see how Knox vs. Morris unfolds. Outside of that match-up, the RJ, Dotson and Trier minutes will also be something to watch.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#1983 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:57 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:His problem is he has diarrhea mouth and says things just because he wants to fill silences, not because he has a fully formulated thought he needs to share.

It is a problem with big talkers.

This guy needs to dial down the hustler and think only like a coach and then he may blab less.

Too much this :thumbup:
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager

Post#1984 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:58 pm

Also, K-Dot is absolutely killing it itt the last couple of days .. for anyone skimming who would appreciate pointers as to what to read.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,116

Post#1985 » by DOT » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:05 pm

Or like, Knox struggled on offense pretty much the whole season cause his ability to create for himself is still pretty raw, and we never did anything to fix it. We should have started running plays, like even some basic stuff like pin downs and curls, but we didn't

Would've helped him grow if he wasn't doing the equivalent of banging his head against the wall every time he got the ball. But I'm not saying don't let him ever freelance, cause you learn by doing, just with guys that raw you need to help them

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager

Post#1986 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:08 pm

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:Also, K-Dot is absolutely killing it itt the last couple of days .. for anyone skimming who would appreciate pointers as to what to read.

I mean, it's just pro sports, so, who gives a **** if players/coaches/FOs talk absolute garbage .. it's just spin in an entertainment business.

[ofc, I personally don't believe that pov, because ... who can say .. let's make up it's "personality" .. but mkay]

But the Knox quote, saying he thinks he's being held to account is extremely dis-spiriting for me. What I surmise is happening is that Fizdale tells the players that he is holding them accountable (whotf knows why - as a strategy to make them feel good?) and, being young, Knox repeats that unreflexively.

But there is no accountability and it's all just lies. Mitch shouldn't be averaging 7.8 fouls / 36 in summer league (or whatever the exact number was) ... so just don't say that. If it's "eh, no one gives a ****, summer..do whatever you like" then fine. But don't LIE.

I strongly think Fiz is completely off-base. I hope Frank hates him for seeing that every time he speaks he's LYING. And my opinion is that it's not constructive. Now, it's obviously possible that every type of semi-public speech in USA is so rotten to the core that that type of **** just washes over the (US-origin) players. And that's a possibility too.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,242
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#1987 » by BKlutch » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:55 pm

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:Also, K-Dot is absolutely killing it itt the last couple of days .. for anyone skimming who would appreciate pointers as to what to read.

I mean, it's just pro sports, so, who gives a **** if players/coaches/FOs talk absolute garbage .. it's just spin in an entertainment business.

[ofc, I personally don't believe that pov, because ... who can say .. let's make up it's "personality" .. but mkay]

But the Knox quote, saying he thinks he's being held to account is extremely dis-spiriting for me. What I surmise is happening is that Fizdale tells the players that he is holding them accountable (whotf knows why - as a strategy to make them feel good?) and, being young, Knox repeats that unreflexively.

But there is no accountability and it's all just lies. Mitch shouldn't be averaging 7.8 fouls / 36 in summer league (or whatever the exact number was) ... so just don't say that. If it's "eh, no one gives a ****, summer..do whatever you like" then fine. But don't LIE.

I strongly think Fiz is completely off-base. I hope Frank hates him for seeing that every time he speaks he's LYING. And my opinion is that it's not constructive. Now, it's obviously possible that every type of semi-public speech in USA is so rotten to the core that that type of **** just washes over the (US-origin) players. And that's a possibility too.

I think Mitch was trying shyt out just for kicks, and knew very well even he couldn't foul out of the game. He had far fewer fouls towards the end of the season and I expect we'll see him playing under control during the season.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Return to New York Knicks