ImageImageImage

Danny Ainge/Celtics Moving Forward 2020

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

thomas1897
Junior
And1: 86

Danny Ainge/Celtics Moving Forward 2020 

Post#1 » by thomas1897 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 6:00 pm

Expectation for the Celtics have been high due to the winning traditions that have preceded Danny Ainge before he was an adult. This point of view should not be taken as a joke. This is the realty the public and the media have taken because winning is the end result. How you get there does not matter to the public because they pay the salaries. Brad Stevens is expected to bring his best skill set to training camp to assemble this mix of young talent and veterans. The Celtics have become slightly younger, faster and more potential than last year. Where the team will finish depends on the blending of the talent,their work ethic and the mental skills these players have or do not have. My opinion is Ainge and Stevens can make this work with some modifications. Remember Kyrie is history.
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Re: Danny Ainge/Celtics Moving Forward 2020 

Post#2 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Thu Aug 1, 2019 6:08 pm

Yes
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#3 » by ddb » Thu Aug 1, 2019 6:48 pm

I like that Boston Brass is going with Tatum/Brown/Smart and letting them become the foundation for years to come, but also having Kemba/Hayward here who are good enough (Hayward will be really good this year) to keep this team very good. If Tatum/Brown can make "the leap" (I'll define what each players "leap" would be this year in just a moment) then Boston can be a finals team.

Tatum's leap is sorta what he said in that NBA2k clip that made it's rounds on the Internet. 20ppg, All-Star, Finals. All of that can happen if he works his tail off and wants it. I keep seeing 20.7ppg 7.2rpg 3apg 42%3pt for Tatum when I close my eyes. I think he can be all of that and make his 1st of many all-star appearances this year. That's what his leap looks like for me. 17.5ppg 6.5rpg up and down and not yet ready to be an All-Star is acceptable considering he is still only 21years old....but I would bet more on him making a leap to 20ppg this year. He has a 25ppg upside for his 6-8 year prime. not saying he will hit it every year, but he can be a Top10 player in this league.

Jaylen Brown's leap looks a little different because he's a different type of player. To me, Jaylen's leap has just as much to do with what he can become defensively, as what he can become on O. Boston NEEDS Jaylen to become their 2nd best defender behind Smart. If Jaylen can get into that All-NBA defense category as a guy that guards multiple positions, then that bodes extremely well for the Celtics. Offensively, he's going to be the 3rd/4th option on the floor a lot of times, so I don't anticipate him being a 20ppg guy. If he played for the Hornets right now he could absolutely be a 20ppg guy. But on the Celtics I see him making a leap to 16.5ppg and becoming a very good corner 3pt shooter. He will have some 30pt nights. But when you factor in Kemba/Tatum/Hayward/Kanter/Edwards, I just don't see how Jaylen is a 20ppg guy. Which is completely fine because he can still be considered one of the best young 2-way wings if he averages 16.5 AND gets All-NBA defense recognition.

Kemba 23.5/6.2apg, Tatum 20.7/7.2/3.0, Hayward 18/5.5/5, Brown 16.5/4.5, Kanter 14/9.2. that's how I see the stats breaking down this year for those guys that will carry the load. I think Smart/Edwards lead bench in scoring.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#4 » by sam_I_am » Thu Aug 1, 2019 6:55 pm

ddb wrote:I like that Boston Brass is going with Tatum/Brown/Smart and letting them become the foundation for years to come, but also having Kemba/Hayward here who are good enough (Hayward will be really good this year) to keep this team very good. If Tatum/Brown can make "the leap" (I'll define what each players "leap" would be this year in just a moment) then Boston can be a finals team.

Tatum's leap is sorta what he said in that NBA2k clip that made it's rounds on the Internet. 20ppg, All-Star, Finals. All of that can happen if he works his tail off and wants it. I keep seeing 20.7ppg 7.2rpg 3apg 42%3pt for Tatum when I close my eyes. I think he can be all of that and make his 1st of many all-star appearances this year. That's what his leap looks like for me. 17.5ppg 6.5rpg up and down and not yet ready to be an All-Star is acceptable considering he is still only 21years old....but I would bet more on him making a leap to 20ppg this year. He has a 25ppg upside for his 6-8 year prime. not saying he will hit it every year, but he can be a Top10 player in this league.

Jaylen Brown's leap looks a little different because he's a different type of player. To me, Jaylen's leap has just as much to do with what he can become defensively, as what he can become on O. Boston NEEDS Jaylen to become their 2nd best defender behind Smart. If Jaylen can get into that All-NBA defense category as a guy that guards multiple positions, then that bodes extremely well for the Celtics. Offensively, he's going to be the 3rd/4th option on the floor a lot of times, so I don't anticipate him being a 20ppg guy. If he played for the Hornets right now he could absolutely be a 20ppg guy. But on the Celtics I see him making a leap to 16.5ppg and becoming a very good corner 3pt shooter. He will have some 30pt nights. But when you factor in Kemba/Tatum/Hayward/Kanter/Edwards, I just don't see how Jaylen is a 20ppg guy. Which is completely fine because he can still be considered one of the best young 2-way wings if he averages 16.5 AND gets All-NBA defense recognition.

Kemba 23.5/6.2apg, Tatum 20.7/7.2/3.0, Hayward 18/5.5/5, Brown 16.5/4.5, Kanter 14/9.2. that's how I see the stats breaking down this year for those guys that will carry the load. I think Smart/Edwards lead bench in scoring.

Having 5 guys average 15-23 ppg is very optimistic. However, if Cs are to win 55 games or more it will be as a high powered offense. Cs have good defenders and will do well on that end against small ball lineups. However, team is not winning with defense this year. They gotta light it up!
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,052

Post#5 » by Dogen » Thu Aug 1, 2019 7:55 pm

I agree with ddb’s breakdown but also with Sam that the scoring numbers are a bit optimistic. 5 guys totaling 93 points? I think brad will want to spread the wealth a bit more. There’s Smart, Carsen both out there taking bench shots. Theis and Williams should get some easy buckets. And don’t sleep on Romeo; I think he’ll be coming off the bench for minutes later in the season.

But Kemba and Jayson certainly options 1 and 1A. The other guys may need to sacrifice a shot or two to keep the main shooters wet.
Hey you! Can we come together?
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,781

Post#6 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Aug 1, 2019 8:28 pm

I don't believe in first options, second options or any of that crap. It's for losers. On good teams, if you are open you get the ball.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#7 » by cloverleaf » Thu Aug 1, 2019 8:56 pm

Dogen wrote:I agree with ddb’s breakdown but also with Sam that the scoring numbers are a bit optimistic. 5 guys totaling 93 points? I think brad will want to spread the wealth a bit more. There’s Smart, Carsen both out there taking bench shots. Theis and Williams should get some easy buckets. And don’t sleep on Romeo; I think he’ll be coming off the bench for minutes later in the season.

But Kemba and Jayson certainly options 1 and 1A. The other guys may need to sacrifice a shot or two to keep the main shooters wet.

Kemba will also likely shave both a few minutes off his per-game minutes from the last several years with Charlotte and at least a few points off last season's usage over 31%. Here's hoping JT's usage and efficiency are both up a bit, to get him in the 18-19 point range. JB up a couple points to 15, Hayward up let's say a leap to 16, Kanter's minutes however are probably only about 20 or so plus I'll project his usage down a bit, so I'd put him only at 12-13. Of course, all these guys won't play every game, so that gives that crew about 75 points a game -- with some points left for Smart, Edwards, the Billy Boys, etc.
Havlicek17
Pro Prospect
And1: 171

Post#8 » by Havlicek17 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:27 am

I am very excited about building this team with young players we drafted and not FA's or high profile trades like the Clips,Fakers, Rockets, etc.

The experience we've had with Kyrie and Al, and the news about the contracts of the latest FA's like Kawhi sucks. Your team trades away their future draft picks for years and years, and you get a year or two rental with bad attitude, me first mentality, etc. As Kyrie eloquently put it, "I don't owe anybody anything". The attitude of these guys sucks. Whatever happened to Team First!?! :crazy:

We got some great young players who are gonna hustle, play hard and with Brad's system, I fully expect we will be in the mix for multiple championships. I don't know if it will start in 2020, but it will happen in the next few years.
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#9 » by Taget » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:11 am

This is a transitional year. Tatum, Brown, and Hayward will be given maximum run to see how they progress. One of the three gets moved. Most likely Brown or Hayward. Depending on what it is offered in return it might be whichever one shows the most promise. Tatum's expectations are sky high. If he exceeds them he is untouchable. If he regresses he probably is just as untouchable (since we won't want to sell low). But if he is "very good" but not "great" we might start making phone calls.

Won't say the young guys rather the "even younger guys" are going to come in hungry. Will be interesting to see how they do and how that changes our plans.

The goal is of course to get Brad to get them to over-perform and if not actually get compete than make a show of challenging the top tier vigorously.

We have always been most successful when you defense is strong. The best indication of how we'll do is not how much we score but how much other teams score. If our record is solid and we're keeping teams under 100 then I'll really know we got our mojo back.
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,344

Post#10 » by Red2 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:26 pm

If Brown is the future why hasn't he been extended? If Hayward returns to being a good player then Tatum and Hayward will get the bulk of the minutes at the 3/4 position which leaves Brown at the 2. Jaylen is a great athlete but he his handle isn't great and his shot selection is questionable so long term I don't think he's the answer at the 2 spot. Maybe he continues to improve but if you think about "assets" that Danny could use in a deal Brown is probably our most marketable player. He's not going to trade Tatum and there's really no one else left on our roster who is worth anything at this point. Also you just drafted Langford who could develop into a really good player and also play the 2/3 plus you have Semij on the bench. We have a glaring hole at the 4 and we don't have a big besides Theis who can stretch the floor so it wouldn't shock me if Danny made a move at the trade deadline if the team is playing well
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#11 » by Tiny ball » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:28 pm

Pop just showed he liked Brown more than Tatum. I'm no expert and sure Tatum might start over Brown. Pop started Brown over Tatum. I would say Brown is being held back by the Celtics. He needs to just do what he does not get injured and odds are he is going to be a great player. Imho
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#12 » by Darth Celtic » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:36 pm

Tiny ball wrote:Pop just showed he liked Brown more than Tatum. I'm no expert and sure Tatum might start over Brown. Pop started Brown over Tatum. I would say Brown is being held back by the Celtics. He needs to just do what he does not get injured and odds are he is going to be a great player. Imho

I think he will be great, but i'm not sure all star great or not. He for sure tried to do to much offensively in that blue/white game. He still played amazing defense.

Tatum is still better. He for sure will make an all star game in his lifetime.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Tiny ball
Veteran

Post#13 » by Tiny ball » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:46 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
Tiny ball wrote:Pop just showed he liked Brown more than Tatum. I'm no expert and sure Tatum might start over Brown. Pop started Brown over Tatum. I would say Brown is being held back by the Celtics. He needs to just do what he does not get injured and odds are he is going to be a great player. Imho

I think he will be great, but i'm not sure all star great or not. He for sure tried to do to much offensively in that blue/white game. He still played amazing defense.

I just don't think I'm smarter than Pop. I'm clueless how good he becomes. I think with Pop as his coach might be top 5 player. I do think he is smart and will work so great teacher would make all the difference in player like him.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#14 » by Darth Celtic » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:49 pm

Tiny ball wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:

I just don't think I'm smarter than Pop. I'm clueless how good he becomes. I think with Pop as his coach might be top 5 player. I do think he is smart and will work so great teacher would make all the difference in player like him.

Pop isn't worried about there career path. He isn't worried about the top talent starting vs bench role. He is trying to put the best fitting team together right now to win the FIBA games THIS YEAR. That's it.

Nothing Pop is doing is a reflection on who he thinks will be the best players in 5 years.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#15 » by Feed Your Head » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:59 pm

Tiny ball wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:

Did Pop think past prime Richard Jefferson/George Hill/washed up Michael Finley, and the rest of the revolving door of 2s/3s who started over Manu Ginobli were better than him? Him starting Jaylen over Tatum in a SCRIMMAGE has no bearing on who he likes more. Come on man lol.

Also, Tatum played way more minutes than Jaylen.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,802

Post#16 » by Parliament10 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:02 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
Tiny ball wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:I think he will be great, but i'm not sure all star great or not. He for sure tried to do to much offensively in that blue/white game. He still played amazing defense.

Pop isn't worried about there career path. He isn't worried about the top talent starting vs bench role. He is trying to put the best fitting team together right now to win the FIBA games THIS YEAR. That's it.

Nothing Pop is doing is a reflection on who he thinks will be the best players in 5 years.

I think that he's just Starting who needs to be Reviewed more. Trying to whittle down to 12 players.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Tiny ball
Veteran

Post#17 » by Tiny ball » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:29 pm

The Comedian wrote:
Tiny ball wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:I think he will be great, but i'm not sure all star great or not. He for sure tried to do to much offensively in that blue/white game. He still played amazing defense.

Did Pop think past prime Richard Jefferson/George Hill/washed up Michael Finley, and the rest of the revolving door of 2s/3s who started over Manu Ginobli were better than him? Him starting Jaylen over Tatum in a SCRIMMAGE has no bearing on who he likes more. Come on man lol.

Jaylen didn't play great. Tatum had it going.
Tiny ball
Veteran

Post#18 » by Tiny ball » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:32 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
Tiny ball wrote:

I was saying with pop as his coach Jaylen would be lots better player than under Brad. That's is all and maybe top 5 player under pop?
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#19 » by Feed Your Head » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:13 pm

Tiny ball wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
Tiny ball wrote: I just don't think I'm smarter than Pop. I'm clueless how good he becomes. I think with Pop as his coach might be top 5 player. I do think he is smart and will work so great teacher would make all the difference in player like him.

But...did Pop think all those players who started over Manu were better than him?
Tiny ball
Veteran

Post#20 » by Tiny ball » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:21 pm

The Comedian wrote:
Tiny ball wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

But...did Pop think all those players who started over Manu were better than him?

He must have had reasons.

Return to Boston Celtics