People are sleeping on OKC

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Re: People are sleeping on OKC 

Post#21 » by Balkman32 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:45 pm

jake_swivel wrote:You don’t want to play CP3 because the best way for a mid market team to lock down talent is through the draft. You hope he raises his value while another team gets desperate and then you sell off assets for picks and young players.

Rolling with an above average player like Paul (and good role players like Galli and Adams) cripples your ability to do that.

Also, I’d take New Orleans roster and assets over OKCs for sure.

I would agree that Nola’s assets are more valuable than OKC’s right now. But Nola’s clock is ticking already and the GM just got there. The Thunder just traded 2 super stars and got a very nice asset back in SGA.

For Nola their big question is can Ingram continue to play ball w/ the blood clots (this took Chris Bosh off the court). If Ingram can’t continue to play that would be a huge blow to their assets. His contract is coming up and that will be very interesting to see.

When you look at assets you have to look at the best one. Zion is the best asset. He’s a top 10 asset in the league right now, if not higher.

Now if you told me in 2 years the Thunder are in a better spot than Nola I wouldn’t be surprised but I also wouldn’t bet on it. The Thunder are in the long game. It’s gonna take them 5 years to be legit title contenders again. But, it will be a fun ride.

You don’t have to suck to hit the lottery any more. I wouldn’t put too much effort to be the worst team in the league rn. Let’s see how these ping pong balls start to fall.
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#22 » by Galloisdaman » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:18 pm

Balkman32 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:I'm not an Thunder expert but if healthy Gallo, SGA, and Adams are going to be very solid starters. This was a playoff team before the Wes/Paul trade IMO. Question is how will Paul play.

CP3's stats last seaosn, when he wasn't on the floor with Harden, looked just like the CP3 of old. 22/12 per36. He was closer to 15/6 per36 when both players on the floor together and Harden was the primary ball handler. CP3 hasn't fallen off nearly as much as it seems on the surface and should be fine.

I think the biggest reason OKC would miss the playoffs is that CP3 and Gallo both routinely miss 20+ games, and in a conference where 46-49 wins is going to be needed to make the playoffs that likely ends up being the difference.

I think CP3 is going to impress people and really salvage his worth first couple of month. I think the Thunder will do time management on the guys over 28.

If they don’t make the playoffs they probably sold at the deadline.

I think the letter to the press and fans was a mistake. It sets the wrong tone. These guys have not played a single game together. It also depreciates your assets. Let them play 1-2 months and then figure out how you want to proceed. Don't send the players a its okay if you do not try to win signal.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,167

Post#23 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:19 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
CP3's stats last seaosn, when he wasn't on the floor with Harden, looked just like the CP3 of old. 22/12 per36. He was closer to 15/6 per36 when both players on the floor together and Harden was the primary ball handler. CP3 hasn't fallen off nearly as much as it seems on the surface and should be fine.

I think the biggest reason OKC would miss the playoffs is that CP3 and Gallo both routinely miss 20+ games, and in a conference where 46-49 wins is going to be needed to make the playoffs that likely ends up being the difference.

I think CP3 is going to impress people and really salvage his worth first couple of month. I think the Thunder will do time management on the guys over 28.

I think the letter to the press and fans was a mistake. It sets the wrong tone. These guys have not played a single game together. It also depreciates your assets. Let them play 1-2 months and then figure out how you want to proceed. Don't send the players a its okay if you do not try to win signal.

CP3 worth can’t really depreciate anymore. It can only go up. Gallinaris value will be determined by his healthy. Those are the only two that matter.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:23 pm

Balkman32 wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:You don’t want to play CP3 because the best way for a mid market team to lock down talent is through the draft. You hope he raises his value while another team gets desperate and then you sell off assets for picks and young players.

Rolling with an above average player like Paul (and good role players like Galli and Adams) cripples your ability to do that.

I would agree that Nola’s assets are more valuable than OKC’s right now. But Nola’s clock is ticking already and the GM just got there. The Thunder just traded 2 super stars and got a very nice asset back in SGA.

For Nola their big question is can Ingram continue to play ball w/ the blood clots (this took Chris Bosh off the court). If Ingram can’t continue to play that would be a huge blow to their assets. His contract is coming up and that will be very interesting to see.

When you look at assets you have to look at the best one. Zion is the best asset. He’s a top 10 asset in the league right now, if not higher.

Now if you told me in 2 years the Thunder are in a better spot than Nola I wouldn’t be surprised but I also wouldn’t bet on it. The Thunder are in the long game. It’s gonna take them 5 years to be legit title contenders again. But, it will be a fun ride.

You don’t have to suck to hit the lottery any more. I wouldn’t put too much effort to be the worst team in the league rn. Let’s see how these ping pong ball start to fall.

I wouldn’t say the clock is ticking on NO. NAW looked like he could be the steal of the draft in summer league.(I know it’s summer league) Jaxon Hayes is very raw. You could argue that Hayes, Walker and Zion are their core. They got all of them on one offseason. Ingram and Ball are jut icing on the cake. If Ingram never plays a game, they still have laker picks, their own picks and Jrue to build with. I don’t think ball is a star but he could be a capable starting pg if he’s healthy.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#25 » by Galloisdaman » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:19 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:

CP3 worth can’t really depreciate anymore. It can only go up. Gallinaris value will be determined by his healthy. Those are the only two that matter.

That is possible but I think winning often raises guys value and losing sometimes lowers it. Then if you make it look like you do not see any value in your guys why should anyone else be willing to pay anything of value?
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#26 » by The_Hater » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:49 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:

I think the letter to the press and fans was a mistake. It sets the wrong tone. These guys have not played a single game together. It also depreciates your assets. Let them play 1-2 months and then figure out how you want to proceed. Don't send the players a its okay if you do not try to win al.

CP3 worth can’t really depreciate anymore. It can only go up. Gallinari value will be determined by his healthy. Those are the only two that matter.

??? If CP3 gets injured again, or plays poorly out of the gate and shows further deterioration due to age, his value will most certainly depreciate even more. And it's more likely to go down than up imo.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:23 pm

The_Hater wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:
I think the letter to the press and fans was a mistake. It sets the wrong tone. These guys have not played a single game together. It also depreciates your assets. Let them play 1-2 months and then figure out how you want to proceed. Don't send the players a its okay if you do not try to win al.

CP3 worth can’t really depreciate anymore. It can only go up. Gallinari value will be determined by his healthy. Those are the only two that matter.

??? If CP3 gets injured again, or plays poorly out of the gate and shows further deterioration due to age, his value will most certainly depreciate even more. And it's more likely to go down than up imo.

Okc isn’t willing to attach multiple assets to move him. That’s what it would take at the moment. So whether it takes 3 picks or 10 picks to move him, it’s irrelevant because it’s not happening.
The_Hater

Post#28 » by The_Hater » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:40 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

Okc isn’t willing to attach multiple assets to move him. That’s what it would take at the moment. So whether it takes 3 picks or 10 picks to move him, it’s irrelevant because it’s not happening.

Not sure what if this has to do with my post.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#29 » by Andre Roberstan » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:48 pm

The_Hater wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

His point is that CP3's value is probably as low now as it can go. I'd concur. Unless he has a season- or career-ending injury I'm not sure it gets lower.
The_Hater

Post#30 » by The_Hater » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:58 pm

Andre Roberstan wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

His point is that CP3's value is probably as low now as it can go. I'd concur. Unless he has a season- or career-ending injury I'm not sure it gets lower.

Well he’s now 34 years old, looks like he slipped a bit last season, which obviously could continue at his age, and of course he could have a major or season ending injury. He is injury prone. So any of those things could lower his value, that was my only point.

Any players trade value could get worse, that’s especially true with older, injury prone players. Now I think CP3 will likely look better this season to perspective buyers because he’ll have the ball more, but that doesn’t mean I would be shocked if those other issues took place.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:11 am

The_Hater wrote:
Andre Roberstan wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

Well he’s now 34 years old, looks like he slipped a bit last season, which obviously could continue at his age, and of course he could have a major or season ending injury. He is injury prone. So any of those things could lower his value, that was my only point.

Any players trade value could get worse, that’s especially true with older, injury prone players. Now I think CP3 will likely look better this season to perspective buyers because he’ll have the ball more, but that doesn’t mean I would be shocked if those other issues took place.

The consensus I read is that he’s already untradeable. If that’s really the case and OKC is not willing to add multiple assets to move him, an achilles injury or anything else doesn’t make him more untradable. He was already that way. Any player can have a major injury and ruin their career. I personally don’t believe you can operate on a “What if he ruptures his achilles” basis. If he plays well and raises his value, great. If not, it’s not the end of the world for us. We’ve already shaved a year of russ’ max contract and we aren’t trying to compete for a few years.
The_Hater

Post#32 » by The_Hater » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:16 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
Andre Roberstan wrote:

The consensus I read is that he’s already untradeable. If that’s really the case and OKC is not willing to add multiple assets to move him, an achilles injury or anything else doesn’t make him more untradable. He was already that way. Any player can have a major injury and ruin their career. I personally don’t believe you can operate on a “What if he ruptures his achilles” basis. If he plays well and raises his value, great. If not, it’s not the end of the world for us. We’ve already shaved a year of russ’ max contract and we aren’t trying to compete for a few years.

He has one of the 3 worst contracts in the league right now, so the consensus is somewhat write. That doesn’t mean things can’t get worse. Obviously.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by Balkman32 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:00 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

I think it was more of its an end of the era.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by Balkman32 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:02 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:

You don’t have to suck to hit the lottery any more. I wouldn’t put too much effort to be the worst team in the league rn. Let’s see how these ping pong ball start to fall.

I wouldn’t say the clock is ticking on NO. NAW looked like he could be the steal of the draft in summer league.(I know it’s summer league) Jaxon Hayes is very raw. You could argue that Hayes, Walker and Zion are their core. They got all of them on one offseason. Ingram and Ball are jut icing on the cake. If Ingram never plays a game, they still have laker picks, their own picks and Jrue to build with. I don’t think ball is a star but he could be a capable starting pg if he’s healthy.

By that time Jure 32/33. The clock has started.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:31 pm

Balkman32 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:

I don't believe Griffin for one second when he says Jrue is a part of the long term plans moving forward.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#36 » by spearsy23 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:34 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:I wouldn’t say the clock is ticking on NO. NAW looked like he could be the steal of the draft in summer league.(I know it’s summer league) Jaxon Hayes is very raw. You could argue that Hayes, Walker and Zion are their core. They got all of them on one offseason. Ingram and Ball are jut icing on the cake. If Ingram never plays a game, they still have laker picks, their own picks and Jrue to build with. I don’t think ball is a star but he could be a capable starting pg if he’s healthy.

I don't believe Griffin for one second when he says Jrue is a part of the long term plans moving forward.

Even if he is, he's jrue holiday. He's a solid player, but not a guy that's consequential in a team building sense. He's like, an okayish third option? That's a tough spot to fill, but not a place you speed up your timeline because you have.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
BigRedDog
Junior
And1: 240

Post#37 » by BigRedDog » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:39 pm

I mean we've got about 15 years of evidence that says "If Chris Paul is your starting PG your floor is 48 wins." Let's face it, he's just that good. Year in and year out the Clippers surrounded him with guys who shouldn't have even been in the league like Jamal Crawford, Glen Davis, etc and it didn't even matter they would still win 50 games every year...

Did he fall off a little last year? Sure. Is his ~15 year run as a top 10 player in this league over? Yes. Should we be concerned about his inability to finish around the basket? Yes. Is he still the greatest mid-range shooter in the world? Probably not.

Can we expect him to log more than 2,000 minutes? No.

Can I stop asking myself rhetorical questions? I don't know.

Bottom line, Vegas opened with an over/under of 28 wins and it immediately popped to 31 wins. And it's the dumbest line Vegas has set in the past ~10 years of over/unders.

This is my largest wager since they inexplicably set the line at 34.5 wins for the Washington Wizards during John Wall's rookie year despite the Wizards having no discernible NBA talent and John Wall looking like he was intentionally trying to break the NBA record for most turnovers in a season. He had it in the bag had he not gotten injured. I think the Wizards won like 16 games.... that bet was over the minute i made it.... Bet it and Forget it...

So is OKC over 28 wins. My winnings just went BING like Ned Ryerson.
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,973

Post#38 » by PerkinsFor3 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:42 am

Is Ferguson still starting as it stand right now?
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#39 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:00 pm

If you more or less keep your current roster, you are definitely winning over 31 games. You traded your 2 superstars but have a very low-key talented roster. It's weird to me that you have a lot of significant ex-Clippers. :lol:

I think you may as well keep Chris Paul, vs. attaching assets to get rid of him. You might find a good trade situation for Danilo, he's a really nice player when healthy but I guess may not fit into your future plans. I think there could be a playoff team wanting a mid-season upgrade who would give you a matching expiring plus a later 1st, something like that.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:17 pm

PerkinsFor3 wrote:Is Ferguson still starting as it stand right now?

I would guess not. Shai was effective playing off the ball last year so I imagine he'll be our starting two guard.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder