ImageImageImage

FIBA World Cup

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Re: FIBA World Cup 

Post#261 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:16 am

AKFO wrote:I still think Jaylen makes it. It takes a lot of confidence from a guy like Pop to put him in the starting lineup over say Tatum or Kuz. He's going to have to refocus as we enter international competition.

I reckon part of the appeal in starting Jaylen would be a focus on defense and role playing; Brad sees these complimentary skills in Jaylen as well, but too often he is preoccupied with scoring to play his intended role well. Such is the conundrum with Jaylen, who doesn't want to be reduced to his role playing skills and thinks he can become a great scorer in this league. Perhaps tough to see guys like Tatum and Kuz (even Middleton and Mitchell) come in with a green light, but Jaylen has to recognize his strengths that give a guy like Pop the confidence to start him.

+1.

His last stint, when he was in foul trouble, was his best stint in the scrimmage IMO— he didnt look to score, spaces the floor and looked keep the ball moving on offense. Thats the role he needs to have on team USA and I am hopeful that he now realizes this.

His defensive versatility is needed on the roster. Being able to credibly defend 1-4 internationally allows us to play many different looks. I’m guessing he makes the team pretty easily.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,900

Re: FIBA world cup 

Post#262 » by FlatearthZorro » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:29 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
Most of them guya dont understand ball there. They still singing the Ingram is better than Brown tune. Ingram has ranked several hundred spots below Brown on defense and cant shoot. Brown has 2 30 plus games in the playoffs, Ingram didnt make the playoffs with LBJ on his team.
FlatearthZorro wrote:
Most of them guya dont understand ball there. They still singing the Ingram is better than Brown tune. Ingram has ranked several hundred spots below Brown on defense and cant shoot. Brown has 2 30 plus games in the playoffs, Ingram didnt make the playoffs with LBJ on his team.

Jaylen's just about the worst player on this team and not two tiers from Ingram as a player. We're talking about a kid who in his 3rd year put up 13-4-1 with bad defense. Yep, this is the guy so many people are delusional about. He looked horrible on the floor tonight. Like he absolutely did not belong out there. He shouldn't make the roster tbh.

He had a bad night, but youre delusional if you think that he’s the worst player on the team. Plumlee and Joe Harris are bad, where Joe Harris couldnt even stop Pat Connaughton from utterly abusing him on defense.

FWIW, Middleton was the worst player out there tonight. Kuzma, too, was quite terrible.

Did you watch exhibition games or, did they start? :D
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,801

Post#263 » by Parliament10 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:10 pm

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#264 » by Parliament10 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:28 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/team-usa-basketball-schedule-live-stream-exhibition-games-ahead-of-fiba-world-cup-watch-online-dates-tv-channel/
Each exhibition will be broadcasted on NBA TV and streamed live on fuboTV (try for free).
Team USA exhibition schedule
All times Eastern

Aug. 9: Team Blue 97, Team White 78 (Box Score)
Aug. 16: Team USA vs. Spain, 10 p.m.
Aug. 22: Team USA vs. Australia, 5:30 a.m.
Aug. 24: Team USA vs. Australia, 12 a.m.
Aug. 26: Team USA vs. Canada, 5:30 a.m.

Team USA World Cup schedule
Team USA is in Group E for pool play, along with the Czech Republic, Japan and Turkey. They will play each team one time, with the top-two teams in the group advancing to the second round. Times and broadcast info have yet to be announced.

Sept. 1: Team USA vs. Czech Republic
Sept. 3: Team USA vs. Turkey
Sept. 5: Team USA vs. Japan
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#265 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:11 pm

Is the team practicing in LA all week leading up to the scrimmage vs Spain?
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#266 » by Parliament10 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:25 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:Is the team practicing in LA all week leading up to the scrimmage vs Spain?

Yeah. They'll be at the Lakers Practice Gym.

https://www.usab.com/mens/national-team/schedule.aspx
Aug. 13, 2019/6:00-8:00 pm
USA National Team Training, at Lakers' Practice Facility. Los Angeles, California

Aug. 14, 2019/12-2 pm
USA National Team Training, at Lakers' Practice Facility, Los Angeles, California

Aug. 15, 2019/12-2 pm
USA National Team Training, at Lakers' Practice Facility, Los Angeles, California

Aug. 16, 2019 / 7:00 pm USA vs Spain, at Honda Center, Anaheim, California / Tickets
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,427

Post#267 » by KL78192020 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:47 pm

4 Celtics on the roster? hopefully they don't get injured.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#268 » by BostonCouchGM » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:39 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:

Jaylen's just about the worst player on this team and not two tiers from Ingram as a player. We're talking about a kid who in his 3rd year put up 13-4-1 with bad defense. Yep, this is the guy so many people are delusional about. He looked horrible on the floor tonight. Like he absolutely did not belong out there. He shouldn't make the roster tbh.

He had a bad night, but youre delusional if you think that he’s the worst player on the team. Plumlee and Jo
e Harris are bad, where Joe Harris couldnt even stop Pat Connaughton from utterly abusing him on defense.

FWIW, Middleton was the worst player out there tonight. Kuzma, too, was quite terrible.

Jaylen: 13-4-1 34% from three
Harris: 13-4-2 47% from three.

Harris is a SG who knows his role and plays it well. He's Jaylen's equal at minimum but let's say Jaylen is slightly better, the fact that they're even in the same competition speaks volumes about Jaylen's ineptitude

Plumlee's PER 36 is 13-11-5. He's one of, if not the best, backup C in the league. But I'll admit I didn't even realize he was on the team. Again, Jaylen isn't much better than him. That's sad.

I'm not concerned about one night's performance. Middleton and Kuzma are much better player's than Jaylen. It's not close either. When Jaylen doesn't miraculously make a huge leap this season, will people finally come to their senses about him? He's not good.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#269 » by Parliament10 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:10 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:

He had a bad night, but youre delusional if you think that he’s the worst player on the team. Plumlee and Jo
e Harris are bad, where Joe Harris couldnt even stop Pat Connaughton from utterly abusing him on defense.

Harris is a SG who knows his role and plays it well. He's Jaylen's equal at minimum but let's say Jaylen is slightly better, the fact that they're even in the same competition speaks volumes about Jaylen's ineptitude

Plumlee's PER 36 is 13-11-5. He's one of, if not the best, backup C in the league. But I'll admit I didn't even realize he was on the team. Again, Jaylen isn't much better than him. That's sad.

I'm not concerned about one night's performance. Middleton and Kuzma are much better player's than Jaylen. It's not close either. When Jaylen doesn't miraculously make a huge leap this season, will people finally come to their senses about him? He's not good.

Jaylen Brown is, in fact, good. And I was down on his attitude early last year.
He's also younger than both Kuzma and Middleton.

To say that it's not close, is erroneous.
In any event, we need 12 players, for the World Cup. I think that Jaylen Brown can be one of the Bench players.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#270 » by Parliament10 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:17 am

KL78192020 wrote:4 Celtics on the roster? hopefully they don't get injured.

That would be Awesome.
Is that Unprecedented? 4 Players from the same NBA team, on Team U.S.A.?
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#271 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:17 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:

Defense:

Jaylen is really good
Harris gets routinely roasted and could be crossed over by a chair.

I dont think Jaylen will ever make an all-star game. Im not delusional on him. However; he’s significantly better than a Steve Novak clone who **** his pants every time he had the ball in the playoffs last season. Thinking elsewise is delusional.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#272 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:20 am

KL78192020 wrote:4 Celtics on the roster? hopefully they don't get injured.

These guys are constantly playing informal scrimmages against other pro’s in the offseason— I’d personally prefer it if they play together in a more intense environment for a month and a half rather than them roll solo. The increase in injury risk is minimal.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#273 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:08 pm

Why the hell did FIBA schedule their tournament so late? They trying to prevent NBA players from competing?
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#274 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:21 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Why the hell did FIBA schedule their tournament so late? They trying to prevent NBA players from competing?

Didnt want it competing with interest in the FIFA world cup in 2018 so they pushed it a year later. This caused the top guys to drop out because theyre not doing the FIBA cup, NBA season and Olympics in a span of 10 months. Stupid, but looks like it may benefit the Celtics.
JJHondo17
Pro Prospect
And1: 783

Post#275 » by JJHondo17 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:32 pm

Late to this party but I DVR'd the game (yeah, I know, it's a sickness :roll:) and watched the 1st three quarters so far and have the same sentiments that most of you are expressing. I thought Tatum was outstanding throughout, Kemba was better later than earlier, D'Aaron Fox is making this team and I was pleasantly surprised by Plumlee. I think either PJ Tucker or Marcus makes the team but probably not both and right now Tucker is leading by default. I too was disappointed by Jaylen's performance because I heard he was really showing out in the practices. My thought is he was trying to do too much in the a starter's role and thus was out of control a lot. I expect a better performance against Spain. BTW, anybody hear Bagley dropped out?? Weird, seeing he just got promoted from the Select team.
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#276 » by 3D Chess » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:33 pm

Lowry out. Marcus just about a lock now.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#277 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:16 pm

3D Chess wrote:Lowry out. Marcus just about a lock now.

Looking real promising that 4 Celts will make it. Love it!
BillTheGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,930

Post#278 » by BillTheGOAT » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:26 pm

Derrick White, PJ Tucker, Mason Plumlee, Harrison Barnes, Joe Harris, Jaylen Brown are all candidates to be cut. Three of those will be gone.
Big Joke Line
Sixth Man
And1: 1,692

Post#279 » by Big Joke Line » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:27 pm

Parliament10 wrote:Image

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/team-usa-basketball-schedule-live-stream-exhibition-games-ahead-of-fiba-world-cup-watch-online-dates-tv-channel/
Each exhibition will be broadcasted on NBA TV and streamed live on fuboTV (try for free).
Team USA exhibition schedule
All times Eastern

Aug. 9: Team Blue 97, Team White 78 (Box Score)
Aug. 16: Team USA vs. Spain, 10 p.m.
Aug. 22: Team USA vs. Australia, 5:30 a.m.
Aug. 24: Team USA vs. Australia, 12 a.m.
Aug. 26: Team USA vs. Canada, 5:30 a.m.

Team USA World Cup schedule
Team USA is in Group E for pool play, along with the Czech Republic, Japan and Turkey. They will play each team one time, with the top-two teams in the group advancing to the second round. Times and broadcast info have yet to be announced.

Sept. 1: Team USA vs. Czech Republic
Sept. 3: Team USA vs. Turkey
Sept. 5: Team USA vs. Japan

Thanks for posting. I was bummed I didn’t see the blue white but I don’t think I would’ve been able to anyway.
Hey Man, nice shot!
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#280 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:36 pm

BillTheGOAT wrote:Derrick White, PJ Tucker, Mason Plumlee, Harrison Barnes, Joe Harris, Jaylen Brown are all candidates to be cut. Three of those will be gone.

Kuzma too.

Guessing Plumlee, Harris and White. Wouldnt be shocked though if Pop cut Kuzma instead of White— never underestimate his hatred for the Lakers and Klutch.

Return to Boston Celtics