ImageImageImage

Let's talk Robert Williams

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

PtruthP34
Senior
And1: 78

Re: Let's talk Robert Williams 

Post#201 » by PtruthP34 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:38 pm

Tiny ball wrote:
PtruthP34 wrote:
Tiny ball wrote: I love the Celtics. But managements for it seems decades are behind the curve. I remember reading Rondo eating at McDonald's before finals game? I know I'm thinking back decades so can't remember if it is true? Is it old boy thing you been here for decades so not want to replace people? That's fine for Tommy but till this last draft and the players we see in Summer league I was flat out saying they need to all go. I shut up about that right after this draft. Maybe some people are learning how to do their jobs?

They've had a team nutritionist on staff for a long time - even back then. AFAIK they do everything they can to provide the highest quality food to players any opportunity they can - flights, locker room, practice facility, etc. They can't control the players' eating habits away from the team (outside of Sully-esque weight clauses).

Celtics have always been way ahead of the curve with things like analytics, diet, sleep, and leveraging cutting edge tech whenever possible.
Ok. I don't see results at a level I would even consider compedent. Bet anything they don't have holistic Doctor or no one on the staff has ever used the mushroom of immortality "Reishi" stop a flu or cold from happening? You know something that has worked for thousand years.
Primitive western medicine I would guess is the norm in the NBA? You draft the future of your franchise and don't send couple body guards coaches to watch over him? City of Boston for many is crazy driving you don't send limousines for every player that wants ride back and forth to games? Paul Pierce got shot up at night club. Where was his security team?

I agree that a holistic perspective would be beneficial - not sure if they have someone on the staff like that.

Regarding the security concerns... idk man, that doesn't seem very realistic. It almost sounds like you are implying the Celtics should have a secret service staff monitoring their players at all times. With the amount of money involved nowadays maybe not as crazy as it sounds, but I doubt for privacy reasons that the players' union would be ok with anything close to that.

Anyways, back on topic, glad to see Robert Williams taking the right steps to improve his body, he looks great out there.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#202 » by cloverleaf » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:36 pm

Rebound Rob at it again today.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,275

Post#203 » by Parliament10 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:49 am

cloverleaf wrote:Rebound Rob at it again today.

He did well.
Why they only had him in there for 19 mins, and Tacko for 7, is a big reason why we lost.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Leprechaun18
Bench Warmer
And1: 644

Post#204 » by Leprechaun18 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:25 am

Parliament10 wrote:

He did well.
Why they only had him in there for 19 mins, and Tacko for 7, is a big reason why we lost.

Do our coaches get extra pay for winning SL? It seemed like the coaches did not try to win the last memphis game.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#205 » by cloverleaf » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:05 am

Leprechaun18 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:

He did well.

Do our coaches get extra pay for winning SL? It seemed like the coaches did not try to win the last memphis game.

Seems like it looked that way last year, too. Maybe they want to go home?
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,928

Post#206 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:45 pm

djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#207 » by djFan71 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:07 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:

Who's that #30 guy? We should give him a camp invite.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,928

Post#208 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:09 pm

djFan71 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:

We did. He's bringing the s'mores.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#209 » by djFan71 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:12 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:

We did. He's bringing the s'mores.

:D
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 9,990

Post#210 » by Dogen » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:30 pm

r wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:

He did well.
Why they only had him in there for 19 mins, and Tacko for 7, is over a big reason why we lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey you! Can we come together?
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,275

Post#211 » by Parliament10 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:31 pm

Read on Twitter

R. Williams is probably our first Big off the Bench.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
thomas1897
Junior
And1: 86

Post#212 » by thomas1897 » Fri Aug 9, 2019 3:12 am

Robert Williams is a raw talented player who has potential on the defensive side of the ball. However there is a long way to go for him to become an accomplished player. The accomplishment is demonstrated by hard work and developing mental skills that translate into making good decisions on and off the court. Offensively he has very little offense. He can not create his own offensive plays without a power dunk. No dunk not much offense, no post game, no jump shot or hook shot. Tacko Fall shows me more offense than Robert Williams. Robert Williams is a project and requires more time and work to become an accomplished player 2019-2020 season. Time will determine his progress.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#213 » by Andrew McCeltic » Fri Aug 9, 2019 4:16 am

thomas1897 wrote:Robert Williams is a raw talented player who has potential on the defensive side of the ball. However there is a long way to go for him to become an accomplished player. The accomplishment is demonstrated by hard work and developing mental skills that translate into making good decisions on and off the court. Offensively he has very little offense. He can not create his own offensive plays without a power dunk. No dunk not much offense, no post game, no jump shot or hook shot. Tacko Fall shows me more offense than Robert Williams. Robert Williams is a project and requires more time and work to become an accomplished player 2019-2020 season. Time will determine his progress.

Tough to say. I think they’re bringing him along slowly to make sure he has good habits and a good grasp on fundamentals. He has the raw ability to play already - he’d have a highlight reel longer than Mitchell Robinson’s if he’d been handed minutes on a losing team. First big off the bench is possible - at minimum he’ll likely get more minutes this year, unless Poirier and Theis outplay him. His summer league was encouraging because you could see him *trying* to make the right reads - I imagine it’s something like listening to people in a foreign language you’re still learning. It was clear enough from the way he’d watch on defense that he’s working to get there.

Perimeter shooting, low post offense and high post facilitating would all be pluses and raise his ceiling.. the passing looks like it’s going to be real.. but he’s shown enough as a rebounder and defender in progress that, combined with his length and athleticism, he’s going to be a starting 5 once he knows NBA systems inside and out.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#214 » by Darth Celtic » Fri Aug 9, 2019 3:38 pm

thomas1897 wrote:Robert Williams is a raw talented player who has potential on the defensive side of the ball. However there is a long way to go for him to become an accomplished player. The accomplishment is demonstrated by hard work and developing mental skills that translate into making good decisions on and off the court. Offensively he has very little offense. He can not create his own offensive plays without a power dunk. No dunk not much offense, no post game, no jump shot or hook shot. Tacko Fall shows me more offense than Robert Williams. Robert Williams is a project and requires more time and work to become an accomplished player 2019-2020 season. Time will determine his progress.

You can't give him the ball and say "go score". But today very few centers can and often it's a low % play compared to the 90's when it was the go to move to start the offense.

He can finish on the pick and roll and we just signed one of the better pick and roll PGs in the game. I think he has a place off the bench and scoring won't be an issue. It's defensive assignments i'm worried about. 1 on 1, he's actually great. I have no problem him defending 5's in the post or outside up to 18ft. I am worried about team defense, correct rotations, and help defense without letting his man be open for a dunk or put back. That's what hurt him last year and kept him off the court.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Bostonic33
Sophomore
And1: 262

Post#215 » by Bostonic33 » Fri Aug 9, 2019 7:54 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:It's defensive assignments i'm worried about. 1 on 1, he's actually great. I have no problem him defending 5's in the post or outside up to 18ft. I am worried about team defense, correct rotations, and help defense without letting his man be open for a dunk or put back. That's what hurt him last year and kept him off the court.

As Bill Russell said, "The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe that you might block every shot." I believe once Robert understands this, his minutes will go up.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#216 » by GuyClinch » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:27 am

Needs to show a little something as far as shots besides dunks/layups go.. No doubt he can probably shoot a little - but I haven't seen it yet..Hard to play major minutes in the NBA unless you are something of an offensive threat.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,059

Post#217 » by Gant » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:13 pm

Read on Twitter
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,728

Post#218 » by OldCeltics » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:21 pm

All yall disrespecting Robert Williams the 3rd.

Put him in for 30 min. He'll have better numbers than Horford. 2.5 blocks per game easy. A few sweet baby hooks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#219 » by jmr07019 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:20 pm

Semi and G Will aren’t centers. Theis can only play center in certain matchups.

I don’t see Porier, R will and Kanter sharing the court for any extended period of time. Those 3 will compete for almost all the center minutes.
Show Love Spread Love
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#220 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:37 pm

OldCeltics wrote:All yall disrespecting Robert Williams the 3rd.

Put him in for 30 min. He'll have better numbers than Horford. 2.5 blocks per game easy. A few sweet baby hooks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app

:o
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Return to Boston Celtics