ImageImageImageImageImage

Freddy Galvis is gone: Waived, claimed by Reds.

Moderator: JaysRule15

Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Re: Freddy Galvis is gone: Waived, claimed by Reds. 

Post#21 » by Schad » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:44 pm

Yeah, Cincy is looking at next year and their bizarre one-off chase, and Iglesias is a free agent, so they have a need.

Shortstop is tricky, because you either really need an average one, or you flat-out have no place for them, and Galvis had little value outside the position, especially now that his bat has (predictably) cooled. As such, his market was quite limited: the list of contending teams where he'd make sense consists of the Brewers, and maybe the Phillies.

That said, I keep coming back to Milwaukee and their completely misguided belief that Orlando Arcia is Andrelton Simmons reborn because he makes some flashy plays. There's a pretty good chance that's going to cost them a playoff spot, and the Jays likely would have been happy to eat money (and there isn't much of it left at all) in order to get back a minor piece.
**** your asterisk.
Natural11
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#22 » by Natural11 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:58 pm

I have a hard time believing they couldn't manage to get some token prize for him on the trade market. 2 WAR player on a cheap deal isn't worth some fringe B prospect in A+? MLB is weird.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,405

Post#23 » by Lateral Quicks » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:47 pm

He doesn't even have to start. In the playoffs he's that much more valuable as a defensive replacement. His remaining salary is peanuts on a pro-rated basis, and his team option of $5.5M next year is decent value for a guy who will likely have put up 2 successive 2 WAR seasons by next spring.

Not getting anything for him doesn't pass the smell test at all.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,405

Post#24 » by Lateral Quicks » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:53 pm

Last year the Jays got Santiago Espinal for a 35-year-old Steve Pearce who had barely been replacement level with the Jays and is basically a part-time DH only. He made roughly the same amount of money as Galvis.

You're telling me we could get Espinal for Pearce, but we couldn't get anything for Galvis? Espinal was no great prize, mind you, but he's a lottery ticket, and this team needs as many of those as it can find right now.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,931

Post#25 » by Ado05 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:41 pm

Definitely surprising they couldnt find a trade for him, but a lot of teams passed up on him. Every team in the AL didnt even claim him. And a number of NL teams passed on him too.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Schad » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:57 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:He doesn't even have to start. In the playoffs he's that much more valuable as a defensive replacement. His remaining salary is peanuts on a pro-rated basis, and his team option of $5.5M next year is decent value for a guy who will likely have put up 2 successive 2 WAR seasons by next spring.

Not getting anything for him doesn't pass the smell test at all.

It's known that we were shopping him, and the fact that he wasn't traded suggests that there wasn't a lot of interest in actually giving up value. I agree that it's somewhat weird, but Galvis isn't spectacular...he was a 1.2 fWAR player last year in a full season's worth of PAs, 1.6 the year previous, and is heading for about 1.9 per 650 this year. So a decent, if somewhat below-average player, the sort that used to be popular in waiver trades, but that option is now gone.

Regarding his use as a defensive replacement, there are a finite number of teams where he'd actually be a defensive upgrade. By UZR/150, he's the 14th-best starting SS in the bigs this year...Minny, Atlanta, Milwaukee and the Dodgers are the only teams whose shortstop grades out worse. Atlanta has a comparable backup option, while Minny/LAD get enough production from SS that lifting them for a late-inning replacement is unlikely.
**** your asterisk.
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,472

Post#27 » by Cyrus » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:28 am

Natural11 wrote:I have a hard time believing they couldn't manage to get some token prize for him on the trade market. 2 WAR player on a cheap deal isn't worth some fringe B prospect in A+? MLB is weird.

Agreed, we found taker for sogard and he's never hit or produced like this. But Freddy we couldn't get anything? Doesn't make sense!

Hell we found a taker for Morales by eating majority of his contract
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#28 » by Skin Blues » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:00 am

Cyrus wrote:
Natural11 wrote:I have a hard time believing they couldn't manage to get some token prize for him on the trade market. 2 WAR player on a cheap deal isn't worth some fringe B prospect in A+? MLB is weird.

Agreed, we found taker for sogard and he's never hit or produced like this. But Freddy we couldn't get anything? Doesn't make sense!

Hell we found a taker for Morales by eating majority of his contract

Well, they dumped $1m in salary, which I'm sure was a factor, as well as clearing space. Plus, if Bo struggled, having Galvis around makes it easier to send Bo back to Buffalo for service time reasons. That obviously hasn't happened, though. So instead of a middling prospect, the front office saves $1m. Doesn't help the team much, unfortunately.
Black Watch
Bench Warmer
And1: 762

Post#29 » by Black Watch » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:23 am

Obviously they tried to move him before the deadline. It didn't work out because Galvis has no real value (basically a role player).

I'm very impressed with Shatkins going all-in on the future. Getting rid of Morales, Martin, Tulo, and a few others, as well as now Galvis, just goes to show how committed they are to seeing their plan through.
Black Watch and Hamyltowne, my former usernames, are tartan patterns. Nothing to do with any race or any city.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#30 » by The_Hater » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:39 pm

Denisaur9 wrote:They traded Sogard for 2 prospects. Even if they're d level better then nothing but they can't trade Galvis?!?!?!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using RealGM mobile app

Sogard was both a better player and making less than 1/10th of the salary. Galvis has to be bought out next season for twice the money Sogard makes this entire season.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,716

Post#31 » by VanWest82 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:35 pm

Galvis is expensive infield depth but he's proven to be a reliable player with just enough pop in his bat to make it ok that he doesn't get on base. I can't say I'm that surprised he couldn't clear waivers. Sucks for him though. I'm sure he was hoping to catch on with a contender.
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,472

Post#32 » by Cyrus » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:36 pm

Looks like soon we may do the same with Smoak.
The_Hater

Post#33 » by The_Hater » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:43 am

Cyrus wrote:Looks like soon we may do the same with Smoak.

Smoak was good the first year after his extension, the Jays needed to trade him that off season to get any value for him. And that seemed pretty obvious.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Tanner
Veteran
And1: 4,173

Post#34 » by Tanner » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:16 pm

The_Hater wrote:

Smoak was good the first year after his extension, the Jays needed to trade him that off season to get any value for him. And that seemed pretty obvious.

Yonder Alonso was another 30 year old 1B who had a breakout offensive season out of no where in 2017, and he signed a cheap two year deal that off season.

Smoak didn't have value even after 2017. He wasn't even claimed off waivers last August when a playoff team like the Rockies needed a 1B, and that was when he made $4m. First basemen lost value the same off season that the Jays signed Morales/Pearce and it has never recovered.

I think unless Shatkins is high on Tellez, there is a good chance they bring Smoak back on a cheap deal.
The_Hater

Post#35 » by The_Hater » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:32 pm

Tanner wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

Yonder Alonso was another 30 year old 1B who had a breakout offensive season out of no where in 2017, and he signed a cheap two year deal that off season.

Smoak didn't have value even after 2017. He wasn't even claimed off waivers last August when a playoff team like the Rockies needed a 1B, and that was when he made $4m. First basemen lost value the same off season that the Jays signed Morales/Pearce and it has never recovered.

I think unless Shatkins is high on Tellez, there is a good chance they bring Smoak back on a cheap deal.

Just can’t see Smoak coming back. Even if they don’t want to give Tellez a long look, which would be better than putting a similar vet like Smoak out there, 1B is pretty easy position to fill.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by Schad » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:45 pm

I'd also be fairly surprised if we brought Smoak back. If we're planning to get Drury and our collection of middling outfielders regular plate appearances, we'll need the 1B/DH spots fairly open. Combine that with Vlad likely moving to 1B by 2021 and there isn't a tonne of space for a below-average 33 year old.
**** your asterisk.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,168

Post#37 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:11 am

tbh noone wanted to give up anything for Galvis. people thinking every year someone trades a veteran should get something in return. can't equate the return on Pearce vs Galvis. Pearce is probably much more valuable in any trade scenario last year vs Galvis this year.

This is actually Galvis' first year being a decent offensive player although he's cooled off as well. i'm not surprised he didn't get anything at all. just surprised he was waived though. i thought he would be a good older player mentor to the youngins
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays