ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect
And1: 655

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#2001 » by BilboBanginz » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:02 pm

Lets take a quick look at how the other Americas teams stack up within their respective groups:

Group A: China, Ivory Coast, Poland, and Venezuela

This is one of the Americas team i'm worried about advancing. This group is laughably bad. Putting the host team in the same pot as the top-3 teams in the world caused major balance issues across all of the groups. Poland is the best team in this group, and they are what, like, the 12th-15th best team in the tournament? Even though Vasquez and Echenique are not playing, Venezuela could still win against China and the Ivory Coast.

Group B: Argentina, Nigeria, Russia, South Korea

On paper I believe Nigeria is the best team in this group with 3 NBA players (Aminu, Metu, Okogie), given that Shved isn't playing for Russia. I don't know much about the rest of the Russian team to say how they stack up without their best player. Would they be betting favourites vs. Argentina? I would think Nigeria and Russia should advance here, but Argentina could beat either of them on any given day.

Group C: Iran, Puerto Rico, Spain, Tunisia

Spain is clearly head-and-shoulders above the others here. The question is whether Puerto Rico can beat Tunisia and Iran. If Barea was playing this would be a lot more interesting, but I've read on this board that PR has a pretty weak team for this tournament. I would think that Iran should be a favourite to advance given their history of success. Tunisia, with Salah Mejri, might very well be better than Puerto Rico aswell. Not super worried about Puerto Rico advancing in this group, but it's close enough that things could break their way.

Group D: No Americas teams

Group E: USA's group. Not much discussion here.

Group F: Brazil, Greece, New Zealand, Montenegro

This one is a little tricky. One team is great (Greece) and should win all three games, while the other three are at least decent teams. Brazil has a decent roster; Barbosa, Varejao, Huertas, Felicio and Bruno. If Montengro has Vucevic, then I think they could very well be the 2nd best team, as he would definitely be the best player in the group after Giannis. I feel like the 2nd, 3rd and 4th positions in this group are more-or-less anyones guess, however right now I would say New Zealand is the weakest.

Group G: Dominican Republic, France, Germany, Jordan

We shouldn't be worried about this one at all. DR is looking like they'll be missing both KAT and Horford, while France and Germany both have pretty stacked rosters.

Group H: Australia, Canada, Lithuania, Senegal

This one has been discussed pretty in-depth on this thread. It's gonna be a doozy. I think Vegas odds have us 3rd in this group as of right now.

---

Excluding USA, I think Argentina, Brazil, and Venezuela (because their group is doodoo), are the ones with the most likely chance of advancing. It is not all that crazy to think that USA might be the only Americas team to advance, but I wouldn't bet on that happening. Although USA + only one other Americas team advancing is a pretty realistic scenario IMO.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,465

Post#2002 » by Mirotic12 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:51 pm

TrueNorth31 wrote:
BilboBanginz wrote:
Read on Twitter

Teodosic out. If Canada were to make it to the Final Round bracket, we would be playing either the 1st or 2nd ranked team from Group J (which contains the top 2 teams from each of Group C & D), which will most likely be Serbia or Spain (or maybe even Italy).

Getting a little ahead of myself, I know.

Don't get Mirotic started - this is obviously some CIA inspired plot. It's too bad he's a really good FIBA player. Hopefully Serbia can still give the Yanks a game.

Started with what? Anyone that follows Teodosic knew he had very little chance of playing at this tournament. Even if he did, he would be playing like 5-10 minutes a game. He's been physically done for 2 years now. No EuroLeague team would even touch him this summer.

I seriously doubt Serbia was even counting on him one bit, regardless of what PR stuff their coach might say. Teodosic couldn't even play twice a week in Europe in his last season before the NBA, then spent two years unable to be healthy at all. He was probably only being considered by Serbia for marketing reasons.

This would be a very minor loss compared to something like France losing Heurtel.

UcanUwill wrote:
mojo13 wrote:Alexey Shved ... and has been the best player in Europe the last few years.

Thats debatable.

It's not debatable. Shved has never been the best player in Europe.

The last few years..........

Spanoulis was better up until injuries last year...

Llull was better up until injuries two years ago...

De Colo has been better the last few years...

Doncic was better than him in 2017-18...

You could also throw in Teodosic and Bogdanovic from last few years time frame.

Even if you want to just claim last season, not "the last few years" when Shved was also playing in EuroCup as well...he clearly wasn't the best player in EuroLeague last season.

For example, just among ball dominant wings (the type of player Shved is), Micic had a better season. He's one of the best players in Europe definitely, but putting him as the best in Europe the last few years isn't correct.

UcanUwill wrote:Valanciunas is beasting, I am still super disappointed Raptors traded him, the title would have meant much more to me if Jonas was on the team. I wonder how Olynyk vs Jonas matchup gonna play out, 2 bigs that cant guard each other at all. Boban looked terrible on D, I see why most people treat him like a scrub even tho is unstoppable scorer.

I've been trying to tell you over and over that Boban was always a huge disaster on defense. He's honestly even worse on defense in EuroLeague / FIBA than in NBA despite the defensive 3 seconds rule, because the game is more half court and you can really see how he can't guard.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#2003 » by Mirotic12 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:05 pm

BilboBanginz wrote:Lets take a quick look at how the other Americas teams stack up within their respective groups:

This is one of the Americas team i'm worried about advancing. This group is laughably bad. Putting the host team in the same pot as the top-3 teams in the world caused major balance issues across all of the groups. Poland is the best team in this group, and they are what, like, the 12th-15th best team in the tournament? Even though Vasquez and Echenique are not playing, Venezuela could still win against China and the Ivory Coast.

On paper I believe Nigeria is the best team in this group with 3 NBA players (Aminu, Metu, Okogie), given that Shved isn't playing for Russia. I don't know much about the rest of the Russian team to say how they stack up without their best player. Would they be betting favourites vs. Argentina? I would think Nigeria and Russia should advance here, but Argentina could beat either of them on any given day.

Spain is clearly head-and-shoulders above the others here. The question is whether Puerto Rico can beat Tunisia and Iran. If Barea was playing this would be a lot more interesting, but I've read on this board that PR has a pretty weak team for this tournament. I would think that Iran should be a favourite to advance given their history of success. Tunisia, with Salah Mejri, might very well be better than Puerto Rico aswell. Not super worried about Puerto Rico advancing in this group, but it's close enough that things could break their way.

This one is a little tricky. One team is great (Greece) and should win all three games, while the other three are at least decent teams. Brazil has a decent roster; Barbosa, Varejao, Huertas, Felicio and Bruno. If Montengro has Vucevic, then I think they could very well be the 2nd best team, as he would definitely be the best player in the group after Giannis. I feel like the 2nd, 3rd and 4th positions in this group are more-or-less anyones guess, however right now I would say New Zealand is the weakest.

We shouldn't be worried about this one at all. DR is looking like they'll be missing both KAT and Horford, while France and Germany both have pretty stacked rosters.

This one has been discussed pretty in-depth on this thread. It's gonna be a doozy. I think Vegas odds have us 3rd in this group as of right now.

---

Excluding USA, I think Argentina, Brazil, and Venezuela (because their group is doodoo), are the ones with the most likely chance of advancing. It is not all that crazy to think that USA might be the only Americas team to advance, but I wouldn't bet on that happening. Although USA + only one other Americas team advancing is a pretty realistic scenario IMO.

Argentina has a better team than Nigeria. Sure, they could lose to Nigeria, but Argentina's team is more skilled and a lot more dangerous in long range shooting. They are especially much better at guard positions.

Luca Vildoza
Nico Laprovittola
Facu Campazo
Lucio Redivo
Nico Brussino

That's significantly stronger than Nigeria's back court.

Also about Vucevic definitely being 2nd best player after Giannis......Vucevic is hugely overrated as a player (one of the most overrated in NBA). He's also never done jack squat of anything in FIBA play. If anything, his team has often played better without him. Montenegro has a decent team, but I wouldn't base their level on him.
Dubber12
Ballboy
And1: 40

Post#2004 » by Dubber12 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:57 pm

BilboBanginz wrote:Lets take a quick look at how the other Americas teams stack up within their respective groups:

---

It’s funny, when you break it down like that, Canada is so clearly the #2 in the Americas at full strength. But given our draw and participation in the World Cup, it is possible we don’t advance and a team like Argentina or Brazil does.

If the US wins, as they are expected to, and another team like Brazil or Argentina advances, and Canada does not, are they eliminated from the Olympics? Or would they still have the opportunity at the last chance tournaments? The Olympic qualification process is a little confusing.
GoRaptors
Freshman
And1: 58

Post#2005 » by GoRaptors » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:56 am

Dubber12 wrote:

---

It’s funny, when you break it down like that, Canada is so clearly the #2 in the Americas at full strength. But given our draw and participation in the World Cup, it is possible we don’t advance and a team like Argentina or Brazil does.

If the US wins, as they are expected to, and another team like Brazil or Argentina advances, and Canada does not, are they eliminated from the Olympics? Or would they still have the opportunity at the last chance tournaments? The Olympic qualification process is a little confusing.[/quote

The FIBA Basketball World Cup 2019 will qualify directly 7 teams to the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games , while the 16 next best classified teams at the World Cup will get the chance of qualifying through one of the 4 FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournaments 2020.

2 selected teams per region will also take part in the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournaments, for a total of 24 teams divided in 4 tournaments of 6 teams each.

The winner of each tournament will qualify for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.

https://www.fiba.basketball/qualification-og
And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,725

Post#2006 » by And1Skip » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:12 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
mathgeek
Junior
And1: 136

Post#2007 » by mathgeek » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:01 pm

If he didn't make the trip to Perth chances are he will likely pull a Kyle Lowry and drop out at the last second. This is a major blow but even with him we would probably finish 3rd in our group anyways. Does anyone have any more information on the last chance tournament for Olympic qualifiers?
gundysmullet
Rookie
And1: 644

Post#2008 » by gundysmullet » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:14 pm

I was just thinking about this but from a purely talent perspective, Canada is the second best nation in the world now after United States yet for some reason Canadian NBA players seem to have no desire whatsoever to actually represent their nation. I wish some members of the Canadian media had the balls to actually ask some of these players directly to their face why that is, in other words literally run down the list of all the top Canadian talent in the NBA and then ask why none of them, or very few of them choose to represent their country. There’s a good chance that Canada won’t even make the Olympics despite having an absurd amount of talent because so many people don’t see it as an honor and a privilege to play for their nation and that’s a disgrace.
WellYouKnow
Sophomore
And1: 114

Post#2009 » by WellYouKnow » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:53 pm

So at this point it's probably safe to say that there won't be any sort of late addition to try and replace Boucher

I think that leaves with them 3 options

Take Klassen

Take Brissett

Or use T Scrubb at the 4 more and take an extra guard.

At this point I might kind of be leaning towards Brissett if it were up to me but I really haven't seen enough of Klassen to make that call.

Given that it looks like Ejim is going to be starting at the 3, I think they'll end up keeping Klassen.

This is what my prediction would be

Birch/Klassen
Kelly/Wiltjer
Ejim/T Scrubb
Cory/P Scrubb
Pangos/Nembhard

And i think Heslip and Best get the last 2 spots

After writing all that out though, maybe there's room for Brissett over Best? We're defenitely gonna need some size, so i can see that making sense
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,880

Post#2010 » by mojo13 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:18 pm

Not sure if I posted this before but here is a running list of key missing players so you can have a better feel for roster strengths. (I) indicates injured player. (R) indicates retired from NT.

Angola
Bruno Fernando
Silvio Sousa

Australia
Ryan Broekhoff
Dante Exum (I)
Thon Maker
Brock Motum
Ben Simmons

Brazil
Nene Hilario (R)
Scott Machado
Raul Neto (I)

Canada
Nickeil Alexander-Walker
RJ Barrett (I)
Chris Boucher
Dillon Brooks (I)
Brandon Clarke
Tyler Ennis (I)
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Mfiondu Kabengele
Trey Lyles
Naz Mitrou-Long
Jamal Murray (I)
Dwight Powell
Nik Stauskas
Tristan Thompson
Andrew Wiggins

Czech Republic
Jan Vesely (I)

Dominican Republic
Angel Delgado
James Feldeine
Al Horford
Karl-Anthony Towns

France
Alexis Ajinca
Rodrigue Beaubois
Fabien Causeur
Thomas Heurtel (I)
Joffrey Lauvergne (I)
Ian Mahinmi
Kevin Seraphin

Germany
Isaiah Hartenstein

Greece
Tyler Dorsey
Kosta Koufos

Iran
Arsalan Kazemi

Italy
Nicolo Melli (I)

Japan
Yuki Togashi (I)

Korea
Junbeum Jeon (I)
Sekeun Oh

Lithuania
Arturas Gudaitis (I)
Donatas Motiejunas

New Zealand
Steven Adams
Te Rangi (I)
Mika Vukona (I)

Philippines
Jayson Castro (R)

Poland
Tomasz Gielo (I)
Marcin Gortat (R)
Maciej Lampe

Puerto Rico
Jose Barea (I)
Tyler Davis
Maurice Harkless
John Holland
Shabazz Napier
Ricky Sanchez (R)

Russia
Dmitry Khvostov (I)
Dmitry Kulagin (I)
Timofey Mozgov (I)
Alexey Shved (I)

Senegal
Moussa Diagne
Gorgui Dieng
Tacko Fall
Youssoupha Fall
Biram Faye
Clevin Hannah
George Niang

Serbia
Nikola Kalinic
Milan Macvan
Nemanja Nedovic
Milos Teodosic?

Spain
Alex Abrines
Jose Calderon (R)
Pau Gasol (I)
Serge Ibaka
Nikola Mirotic
Sergio Rodriguez

Turkey
Enes Kanter

USA
Bradley Beal
Jimmy Butler
Steph Curry
Anthony Davis
DeMar DeRozan
Andre Drummond
Kevin Durant
Paul George
Eric Gordon
James Harden
Tobias Harris
Kyrie Irving
LeBron James
Kawhi Leonard
Damian Lillard
Kevin Love
Kyle Lowry (I)
CJ McCollum
Julius Randle
JJ Reddick
Marcus Smart?
Klay Thompson
Zion Williamson
Trae Young (I)
Any everyone else.....

Venezuela
Gregory Echenique
John Cox (R)
David Cubillan (I)

https://www.interbasket.net/forums/showthread.php?58984-Major-Absences-from-Team-Rosters
mojo13
Veteran

Post#2011 » by mojo13 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:19 pm

Senegal has looked pretty bad so far - getting smoked by Turkey by 30 points yesterday.
Lithuania has looked pretty strong so far - a possible medal contender. Australia has yet to play.

DR, PR and Venezuela not looking strong in exhibitions as well. Will try to catch an Argentina and Brazil game soon. Ivory Coast players are striking already over unpaid bonuses (thus making the VEN/POL/CHN/IVC pool even worse - if that is even possible)
mojo13
Veteran

Post#2012 » by mojo13 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:32 pm

Seeing the first report on Twitter that Olynky is out for the WC.
Not sure who these guys are or they can be trusted. So we may want to hold off on the crying until this is confirmed.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,461
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#2013 » by SharoneWright » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:51 pm

Is it The Golden Age yet!?
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#2014 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:06 pm

mojo13 wrote:Not sure if I posted this before but here is a running list of key missing players so you can have a better feel for roster strengths. (I) indicates injured player. (R) indicates retired from NT.

Angola
Bruno Fernando
Silvio Sousa

Australia
Ryan Broekhoff
Dante Exum (I)
Thon Maker
Brock Motum
Ben Simmons

Brazil
Nene Hilario (R)
Scott Machado
Raul Neto (I)

Canada
Nickeil Alexander-Walker
RJ Barrett (I)
Chris Boucher
Dillon Brooks (I)
Brandon Clarke
Tyler Ennis (I)
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Mfiondu Kabengele
Trey Lyles
Naz Mitrou-Long
Jamal Murray (I)
Dwight Powell
Nik Stauskas
Tristan Thompson
Andrew Wiggins

Czech Republic
Jan Vesely (I)

Dominican Republic
Angel Delgado
James Feldeine
Al Horford
Karl-Anthony Towns

France
Alexis Ajinca
Rodrigue Beaubois
Fabien Causeur
Thomas Heurtel (I)
Joffrey Lauvergne (I)
Ian Mahinmi
Kevin Seraphin

Germany
Isaiah Hartenstein

Greece
Tyler Dorsey
Kosta Koufos

Iran
Arsalan Kazemi

Italy
Nicolo Melli (I)

Japan
Yuki Togashi (I)

Korea
Junbeum Jeon (I)
Sekeun Oh

Lithuania
Arturas Gudaitis (I)
Donatas Motiejunas

New Zealand
Steven Adams
Te Rangi (I)
Mika Vukona (I)

Philippines
Jayson Castro (R)

Poland
Tomasz Gielo (I)
Marcin Gortat (R)
Maciej Lampe

Puerto Rico
Jose Barea (I)
Tyler Davis
Maurice Harkless
John Holland
Shabazz Napier
Ricky Sanchez (R)

Russia
Dmitry Khvostov (I)
Dmitry Kulagin (I)
Timofey Mozgov (I)
Alexey Shved (I)

Senegal
Moussa Diagne
Gorgui Dieng
Tacko Fall
Youssoupha Fall
Biram Faye
Clevin Hannah
George Niang

Serbia
Nikola Kalinic
Milan Macvan
Nemanja Nedovic
Milos Teodosic?

Spain
Alex Abrines
Jose Calderon (R)
Pau Gasol (I)
Serge Ibaka
Nikola Mirotic
Sergio Rodriguez

Turkey
Enes Kanter

USA
Bradley Beal
Jimmy Butler
Steph Curry
Anthony Davis
DeMar DeRozan
Andre Drummond
Kevin Durant
Paul George
Eric Gordon
James Harden
Tobias Harris
Kyrie Irving
LeBron James
Kawhi Leonard
Damian Lillard
Kevin Love
Kyle Lowry (I)
CJ McCollum
Julius Randle
JJ Reddick
Marcus Smart?
Klay Thompson
Zion Williamson
Trae Young (I)
Any everyone else.....

Venezuela
Gregory Echenique
John Cox (R)
David Cubillan (I)

https://www.interbasket.net/forums/showthread.php?58984-Major-Absences-from-Team-Rosters

That's a not a fair comparison if you are comparing USA / Canada to the other teams that way. Because that looks like all absences of best players from USA and Canada, and clearly not from other countries. Like it's just purely someone's opinion on Interbasket as to what constitutes a "major absence" from other countries.

And mind you that Interbasket - from reading it over the years, it is made up of about 50% trolls / haters, 40% people that have probably only watched basketball for a year or two, and maybe 10% of people that have any clue at all whatsoever about basketball. I know you post there and probably don't really know enough about let's say European basketball to know how many trolls are there, but trust me, it's absolutely stocked to the brim with trolls. It's one of the biggest troll sports forums there is. And also, tons of people that post there are from USA and have locations listed as Europe (don't even watch European basketball at all) and act like they are watching all the games.

I'll just give Greece as an example, since I follow the program. No way in hell could you say Dorsey and Koufos were only two major absences if we are talking the best players (which is what is listed as Canada and USA)........

I will take it a step further, I won't even talk about some of the best players missing, but only players that are 100% without any doubt at all better than players that will make the final 12 man roster at the World Cup - I mean not even debatable these players are without any question whatsoever better than players that would make the roster at this tournament and I will just go by position (not even by better than anyone on the roster, but just by their own position), so not even a list of all absences of best players.......

Even then it would be,

Nikos Pappas
Nikos Zisis
Vassilis Spanoulis
Kosta Koufos
Zach Auguste

About Dorsey, I'm not even sure he counts as a major absence at all. At his own position (SG), Greece would have at least 4 players that are better than him (Vassilis Spanoulis, Kostas Sloukas, Giannoulis Larentzakis, Nikos Pappas), and even someone like Ioannis Athinaiou might be as good as he is. Yet, he's listed as a major absence.

If we added criteria not just by position, but better than anyone on the 12 man roster (so like just being better than the other two Antetokounmpo brothers), or simply listed all of the country's best players that are missing, like for how USA and Canada is listed, then you could probably name like an additional more 15 guys for Greece.

The same is true for several other of the national teams also. No way is Spain only missing

Alex Abrines
Jose Calderon
Pau Gasol
Serge Ibaka
Nikola Mirotic
Sergio Rodriguez

There are plenty of Spanish players that are better than what is going to be on their 12 man roster that are missing, and are not listed there. Same thing with France, plenty of more players than that missing if it's just best players not playing.

This list from Interbasket looks like anyone that could make USA / Canada roster, versus just some players that maybe had initially committed to this tournament, then eventually dropped out, for other countries.

USA and Canada might have the top two depth layers in the world (very debatable for Canada though), but that list is extremely exaggerating it.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#2015 » by mojo13 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:25 pm

oh jeez...it is just a crowd sourced list to help people see some of the key guy not playing not a dick waving contest of who has more players missing...

Here is a list from Eurohoops.net you can critique as well if you prefer:
https://www.eurohoops.net/en/trademarks/918831/fiba-world-cup-2019-the-most-significant-absences/

Oh surprise! For Greece they only list:
Tyler Dorsey
Kosta Koufos

So yeah....

And oh snap! For Spain they only list:
Pau Gasol
Sergio Rodriguez
Alex Abrines
Nikola Mirotic
Serge Ibaka
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#2016 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:26 pm

WellYouKnow wrote:So at this point it's probably safe to say that there won't be any sort of late addition to try and replace Boucher

Take Klassen

Take Brissett

At this point I might kind of be leaning towards Brissett if it were up to me but I really haven't seen enough of Klassen to make that call.

Given that it looks like Ejim is going to be starting at the 3, I think they'll end up keeping Klassen.

Birch/Klassen
Kelly/Wiltjer
Ejim/T Scrubb
Cory/P Scrubb
Pangos/Nembhard

After writing all that out though, maybe there's room for Brissett over Best? We're defenitely gonna need some size, so i can see that making sense

I can't imagine why Canada would want Klassen on their team....he's a terrible big man. I've seen him playing quite a bit in FIBA Champions League (one of the two secondary pan European leagues that are below EuroLeague), and he's just a bad player.

He basically plays no defense, he's incredibly soft, and he's basically only good for open layups and dunks on offense. He shouldn't even be a 12th man on Canada's World Cup team, regardless of how many players they are missing. Even old man Joel Anthony is way better than he is.

mojo13 wrote:oh jeez...it is just a crowd sourced list to help people see some of the key guy not playing not a dick waving contest of who has more players missing...

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/trademarks/918831/fiba-world-cup-2019-the-most-significant-absences/

Greece lists:
Tyler Dorsey
Kosta Koufos

So yeah....

You can trust the trolls at Interbasket (they are largely a bunch of trolls), or you can take some real information and facts and properly assess it yourself. It's up to you. But that list of "major absences" is absurd, if it's taking all of the best players of USA and Canada, and then cherry picking for every other country, which is obviously what it's doing.

Greece has like 20-25 players that are better than the other two Antetokounmpo brothers, that are making the team according to most media.

I mean Greece has Vangelis Mantzaris in their preparation right now.........I'm not sure if he's even one of the 10 best players Greece has just at his own position .......yet there is just 2 absences of players?
WellYouKnow
Sophomore

Post#2017 » by WellYouKnow » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:32 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
WellYouKnow wrote:So at this point it's probably safe to say that there won't be any sort of late addition to try and replace Boucher

Take Klassen

Take Brissett

Birch/Klassen
Kelly/Wiltjer
Ejim/T Scrubb
Cory/P Scrubb
Pangos/Nembhard

I can't imagine why Canada would want Klassen on their team....he's a terrible big man. I've seen him playing quite a bit in FIBA Champions League (one of the two secondary pan European leagues that are below EuroLeague), and he's just a bad player.

He basically plays no defense, he's incredibly soft, and he's basically only good for open layups and dunks on offense. He shouldn't even be a 12th man on Canada's World Cup team, regardless of how many players they are missing. Even old man Joel Anthony is way better than he is.

mojo13 wrote:oh jeez...it is just a crowd sourced list to help people see some of the key guy not playing not a dick waving contest of who has more players missing...

Greece lists:
Tyler Dorsey
Kosta Koufos

So yeah....

You can trust the trolls at Interbasket (they are largely a bunch of trolls), or you can take some real information and facts and properly assess it yourself. It's up to you. But that list of "major absences" is absurd, if it's taking all of the best players of USA and Canada, and then cherry picking for every other country, which is obviously what it's doing.

Greece has like 20-25 players that are better than the other two Antetokounmpo brothers, that are making the teem according to most media.

I've only seen him play twice I think. At the beginning of the qualifiers and I wasn't impressed , but I'm assuming at this stage there's literally no other options
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#2018 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:39 pm

WellYouKnow wrote:I've only seen him play twice I think. At the beginning of the qualifiers and I wasn't impressed , but I'm assuming at this stage there's literally no other options

Kyle Landry and Joel Anthony are pretty much washed up players, but they are still better than Klassen. There was a center that supposedly had Canadian citizenship last year that was playing on Greek club Aris I think it was - he's also better.

Hell, I think that one guy they had on their 2017 Americas team (if I remember right), I can't remember his name, but he was just a hustle guy, but he's even better.
And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,725

Post#2019 » by And1Skip » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:39 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
WellYouKnow
Sophomore

Post#2020 » by WellYouKnow » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:12 pm

Well thats that. We're done.

We can barely field a team at this point.

Our offence is going to be really bad.

This sucks so much.

Return to Toronto Raptors