ImageImage

More about Jeremy Lamb

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Assistant Coach
And1: 602

More about Jeremy Lamb 

Post#1 » by 8305 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 12:00 pm

Wondering if your Board can tell me a little more about Jeremy Lamb?
Pacers have gotten considerable mileage out of under valued "secondary market" guys since Kevin Pritchard has taken over. Think Victor Oladipo and Bojan Bogdonovich. Pacers fans are hoping there's more than has been seen so far from Jeremy Lamb and that we can extract that from him.

What upside do you see in his game?
With his crazy length could he still develop into an elite defender?
Could you see him defending point guards? Not sure we have an answer for this in Brogdan.

If he stays in the starting lineup after Vic returns I see him as a 5th scoring option similar to Thad Young. In this scenario it would be nice if he could become a big time defender.

If he moves to the bench there would be the opportunity to become the primary off the bench scorer. Kinda what we hoped Tyreke Evans would be last year.

Would be great if he blew up and became our version of Kris Middleton or Andre Iguadala.

What are your thoughts?
Thanks for your feedback.
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Re: More about Jeremy Lamb 

Post#2 » by catch20two » Sat Aug 3, 2019 2:46 pm

8305 wrote:Wondering if your Board can tell me a little more about Jeremy Lamb?
Pacers have gotten considerable mileage out of under valued "secondary market" guys since Kevin Pritchard has taken over. Think Victor Oladipo and Bojan Bogdonovich. Pacers fans are hoping there's more than has been seen so far from Jeremy Lamb and that we can extract that from him.

Could you see him defending point guards? Not sure we have an answer for this in Brogdan.

If he stays in the starting lineup after Vic returns I see him as a 5th scoring option similar to Thad Young. In this scenario it would be nice if he could become a big time defender.

If he moves to the bench there would be the opportunity to become the primary off the bench scorer. Kinda what we hoped Tyreke Evans would be last year.

Would be great if he blew up and became our version of Kris Middleton or Andre Iguadala.

What are your thoughts?

Jeremy Lamb was a good pickup for you guys at what’s considerably a bargain contract compared to what other similar level players like Otto Porter and Kent Bazemore have gotten.

Expect Lamb to average 15+ points if he’s getting at least 27 minutes per game. He’s consistent with consistent minutes and even with inconsistent bench minutes he’s a good enough scorer to guarantee double figure scoring. There’s still some upside to him as a scorer because here in Charlotte we never really ran any plays to get him in a sweet spot for good looks. He mostly scored in iso-situations.

Defense isn’t his strong suit but he’s not as bad as he might be advertised. Lamb defending point guards will mostly be a disaster since he’s not laterally quick and get stuck on screens relatively easy. What Lamb excel in defensively is using his length to get in passing lanes.

I hope Lamb can blow up in Indiana in a much better system. There isn’t much development of players in Charlotte and they haven’t been able to put players in the best position to succeed.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,634

Post#3 » by yosemiteben » Sat Aug 3, 2019 4:55 pm

8305 wrote:If he stays in the starting lineup after Vic returns I see him as a 5th scoring option similar to Thad Young. In this scenario it would be nice if he could become a big time defender.

I think you're going to be pretty disappointed with him if this is the plan, that's not his game.

8305 wrote:If he moves to the bench there would be the opportunity to become the primary off the bench scorer. Kinda what we hoped Tyreke Evans would be last year.

This is much more his game. He absolutely can carry a bench squad offensively. He can be a plus contributor offensively in the starting unit, but I think he'll struggle if he's not a primary scorer and asked to just play D and pass to other scorers.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#4 » by 8305 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 7:34 pm

Interesting. I asked basically the same questions about Tj Warren on the Suns Board. Sounds like we signed two guys whose highest and best use projects to being an off the bench scorer.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,391

Post#5 » by Hornet Mania » Sat Aug 3, 2019 9:33 pm

Lamb is a solid starting-level SG. Scoring is his forte, isos especially but he also shoots well when open. With Oladipo it's hard for me to see him reaching his fullest potential in your starting lineup, off the bench as a super-sub he could get up to the 13-15ppg he gave us the last few years if given 30mpg.

He is not an elite defender and never will be, at this point in his career I am fairly certain he is a totally finished product and has topped out as a quality scoring guard. Not the worst outcome really, I think in the end he justified being a lotto pick even if he didn't get it together in OKC, but it is very unlikely he will ever have a better season than 2018-2019 on a superior roster such as your team's.

The duo of Warren/Lamb did raise my eyebrow, seems like Indy should have chosen one or the other and gotten a better defender with the second spot. But I guess the FO really felt like they needed a lot more scoring to hit the next level.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#6 » by 316Hornets » Mon Aug 5, 2019 12:05 am

8305 wrote:Wondering if your Board can tell me a little more about Jeremy Lamb?

What are your thoughts?

Lamb's upside in his game is that he is a great team player. He's best utilized as a traditional SG that gets the ball and looks to score. On defense, I don't really see him becoming elite because his awareness is a little lacking. He's above average man to man defender, but asking him to switch and cover multiple people is a weakness. I wouldn't use him to guard PGs.

I'd probably use him as a primary off the bench scorer and that's really where he showed the most promise while playing for us. He's a positive asset and will make your team better, just not a guy with elite or star potential imo.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 867

Post#7 » by Chapelchilla » Thu Aug 8, 2019 6:22 pm

The above posters are right. Lamb has proved he belongs in the NBA and he can make big shots occasionally. Lamb shoots jumpers well from 15-25. He is not a lead dog scorer or a great playmaker for others. Not a plus defender or very good going to the hole in traffic. He is a quality bench player or a very low level starter. You got him for slightly less then what he is probably worth so it's a fine contract for a decent role player.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#8 » by BigSlam » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:02 pm

8305 wrote:What upside do you see in his game?

He's pretty much maxed out. Not much, if any, upside left.

He's an iso scorer, can be a ball stopper, is a good rebounder and a sh*tty defender.
B B M F 'ers

Return to Charlotte Hornets