ImageImageImage

What Are The Cavs Looking For In Return For John Henson?

Moderator: ijspeelman

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#1 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:31 am

Mavs can use the rest of their TPE on him and give a future 2nd in return. Would that work for the Cavs?
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: What Are The Cavs Looking For In Return For John Henson? 

Post#2 » by Stillwater » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:02 pm

Doubtful. They are under no pressure to move him and should get a better offer if in fact they decide to part ways at the DL.
If he is hurt again they would probably do it for a high 2nd if Dallas has any from bad teams but that removes Dallas incentive unless the injury is minor
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,142

Post#3 » by jbk1234 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:28 am

HairyGOATee wrote:What Are The Cavs Looking For In Return For John Henson?

Mavs can use the rest of their TPE on him and give a future 2nd in return. Would that work for the Cavs?
I'd prefer to move TT, who I think is a better target because he fits perfectly with Zinger, but I'd consider that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Pop Daddy
Freshman
And1: 60

Post#4 » by Pop Daddy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:11 am

I never understood why he didnt get more Minutes with Mill, Im sure someone would want his, if his contract isnt to big
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:50 am

jbk1234 wrote:

I'd prefer to move TT, who I think is a better target because he fits perfectly with Zinger, but I'd consider that.

Maybe Mavs can make a trade for both. Henson can be the stretch 4 that blocks shots and rolls to the rim. TT can be a rim roller too I guess, but it'd be more about his rebounding.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:56 am

Stillwater wrote:Doubtful. They are under no pressure to move him and should get a better offer if in fact they decide to part ways at the DL.
If he is hurt again they would probably do it for a high 2nd if Dallas has any from bad teams but that removes Dallas incentive unless the injury is minor

Maybe multiple 2nds. Mavs for sure won't give up a first round pick for him, so maybe multiple 2nds can work for the Cavs. Not sure.

If the Cavs want young assets in return, then the Mavs can't use their TPE. So that'd mean the Cavs would have to take a combination of Dorian Finney-Smith, Justin Jackson, Isaiah Roby, Jalen Brunson, and Ryan Broekhoff. The Mavs aren't going to give those guys up just yet, so a deal probably isn't likely, unless the Mavs swing a deal where they trade Courtney Lee's expiring for Henson's expiring. Lee's expiring is more valuable than Henson's since it's a larger contract, but Henson, if he's back from injury, might be the more valuable player.

Meh.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by jbk1234 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:01 am

HairyGOATee wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Maybe Mavs can make a trade for both. Henson can be the stretch 4 that blocks shots and rolls to the rim. TT can be a rim roller too I guess, but it'd be more about his rebounding.
The Cavs would need to keep one of them.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:13 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I'd prefer to move TT, who I think is a better target because he fits perfectly with Zinger, but I'd consider that.

Yeah, that's true. But now that the Mavs are at 15 players on the roster, they'd have to dump a player in another trade to open up the space for Henson.

and I doubt the Mavs trade Lee for Henson straight up. I don't even know if that works via trade rules without other fillers.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#9 » by Revenged25 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:53 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:

Yeah, that's true. But now that the Mavs are at 15 players on the roster, they'd have to dump a player in another trade to open up the space for Henson.

and I doubt the Mavs trade Lee for Henson straight up. I don't even know if that works via trade rules without other fillers.

That trade is apparently less than 500k off in value straight up, but Cavs wouldn't do that as it puts them back in the luxury. They also don't need another guard, though Justin Jackson...
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:47 am

Revenged25 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:The Cavs would need to keep one of them.

That trade is apparently less than 500k off in value straight up, but Cavs wouldn't do that as it puts them back in the luxury. They also don't need another guard, though Justin Jackson...

Mavs gonna see what they have in Justin Jackson. Doesn't seem like this trade idea is going to work just yet. Mavs would have to waive someone and then offer two 2nd round picks.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#11 » by Stillwater » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:23 pm

justin jackson is a high iq player but hes never going to more than a rotation player . Cavs need to be targeting starter level 3's and really need to target hybrid 3/4's not 2/3's since they have that already.
OG, Okeke and similar would fill greatest needs although neither likely will be available but you never know
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by jbk1234 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:49 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:

Mavs gonna see what they have in Justin Jackson. Doesn't seem like this trade idea is going to work just yet. Mavs would have to waive someone and then offer two 2nd round picks.

I'd consider Lee for TT and a couple of seconds. I don't know if the Cavs would.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#13 » by Revenged25 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:58 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

I'd consider Lee for TT and a couple of seconds. I don't know if the Cavs would.

That would clear an additional 6 mil in cap, but that's still another guard on the roster, unless they just planned on waiving him and bringing up a D-Leaguer or something.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by jbk1234 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:16 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:

That would clear an additional 6 mil in cap, but that's still another guard on the roster, unless they just planned on waiving him and bringing up a D-Leaguer or something.

Lee can play some three off the bench. I'd prefer to trade for MKG and our second back.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#15 » by Revenged25 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:31 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Lee can play some three off the bench. I'd prefer to trade for MKG and our second back.

I wouldn't mind MKG either but what would they want? Clarkson for more scoring?

Maybe a 3 team deal?

Cleveland Out: Jordan Clarkson, Tristan Thompson
Cleveland In: MKG, Lee, Isaiah Roby? (Dallas for Salary reasons was just a 2nd round pick)

Dallas In: TT
Dallas Out: Lee, Isaiah Roby

Charlotte In: Jordan Clarkson
Charlotte Out: MKG

We end up probably needing to open up a roster spot, could probably just cut Knight if we prefer Lee at this point as well.

Garland/Knight/Delly
Sexton/KPJ/Lee
MKG/Osman/Windler
Love/Roby?
Nance/Henson/Zizic
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#16 » by Stillwater » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:44 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

Maybe a 3 team deal?

Cleveland In: MKG, Lee, Isaiah Roby? (Dallas for Salary reasons was just a 2nd round pick)

We end up probably needing to open up a roster spot, could probably just cut Knight if we prefer Lee at this point as well.

Garland/Knight/Delly
Sexton/KPJ/Lee
MKG/Osman/Windler
Love/Roby?
Nance/Henson/Zizic

JC is owed slightly more than MKG but given both are expiring I would doubt the Hornets are looking for a player better served as a spark plug scorer for a contender when they are not. Not sure how anyone on either side justifies this.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#17 » by Revenged25 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:42 am

Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Maybe a 3 team deal?

Garland/Knight/Delly
Sexton/KPJ/Lee
MKG/Osman/Windler
Love/Roby?
Nance/Henson/Zizic

JC is owed slightly more than MKG but given both are expiring I would doubt the Hornets are looking for a player better served as a spark plug scorer for a contender when they are not. Not sure how anyone on either side justifies this.

Actually MKG is owed 15 while JC is owed 13 so the Hornets save a little, the Cavs get savings as well though through the TT to Dallas for Lee + Roby so the Cavs still come out ahead in that aspect. Not sure who else the Hornets would want besides Clarkson though.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:36 am

Lee for TT would be interesting. Mavs would have to add another player into the deal to make the money workout though. So Broekhoff, Roby, DFS, and Justin Jackson may be the choices. I'd lean towards Broekhoff, even though he's a good 3 point shooter that the team probably wants to keep around.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:40 am

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:44 am

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y4tpa2f4

Then Mavs pull off a separate trade where they pick up Henson for the TPE, lol.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers