ImageImageImage

Let's talk Robert Williams

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Re: Let's talk Robert Williams 

Post#221 » by Roddy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:24 pm

I will be mad if we give more playing time to Semi than RWIII.
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#222 » by OldCeltics » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:08 pm

Roddy wrote:I will be mad if we give more playing time to Semi than RWIII.

Semi whom? Time Lord can freeze time! What can Semi do, drive a semi-truck?
5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Post#223 » by 5InOfLouisville » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:31 am

I really want to like Timelord, and I'm definitely rooting for him to succeed. You cannot argue with his athleticism, and I have been impressed already by his man-on-man defense.

That said, I always worry when I watch a player for 2 years in the NBA Summer League and it still looks like he doesn't understand basketball. Throw a pump fake at him or make him rotate and watch the wheels fall off. I was impressed by his physical dominance in SL, but I didn't see anything that made me think he understood the game or positioning any better.

I haven't given up on him and would love to be proven wrong, but I'm not super optimistic

EDIT: left out phrase "Summer League" in the original post, got douchey internet sarcasm for it.
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,265

Post#224 » by brackdan70 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:45 pm

5InOfLouisville wrote:I really want to like Timelord, and I'm definitely rooting for him to succeed. You cannot argue with his athleticism, and I have been impressed already by his man-on-man defense.

That said, I always worry when I watch a player for 2 years in the NBA and it still looks like he doesn't understand basketball. Throw a pump fake at him or make him rotate and watch the wheels fall off. I was impressed by his physical dominance in SL, but I didn't see anything that made me think he understood the game or positioning any better.

I haven't given up on him and would love to be proven wrong, but I'm not super optimistic

You have more data than I. I have only watched him for one year in the NBA.
Sign here
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#225 » by Wes-J » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:14 pm

Always said that Bob was 2-3yr project but that was before the departures of Horford and Baynes. Can't imagine Kanter averaging more than 25mpg and while Theis has his moments he's simply not good enough to defend the better bigs. That being said I really don't think Brad will have much of choice here, he's got to get Bob some significant run until Ainge finds a better alternative.

Poirier is a nobody till I see him play.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#226 » by cloverleaf » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:57 pm

5InOfLouisville wrote:I really want to like Timelord, and I'm definitely rooting for him to succeed. You cannot argue with his athleticism, and I have been impressed already by his man-on-man defense.

That said, I always worry when I watch a player for 2 years in the NBA Summer League and it still looks like he doesn't understand basketball. Throw a pump fake at him or make him rotate and watch the wheels fall off. I was impressed by his physical dominance in SL, but I didn't see anything that made me think he understood the game or positioning any better.

EDIT: left out phrase "Summer League" in the original post, got douchey internet sarcasm for it.

I thought he didn't play in the SL last year and this was his first time in it--which he absolutely killed, by the way.
MaxwellSmart
Head Coach
And1: 2,106

Post#227 » by MaxwellSmart » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:01 pm

He needs to stay healthy...none of this play 2 games, take 2 weeks off garbage.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,060

Post#228 » by Dogen » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:06 pm

OldCeltics wrote:

Ojeleye has his own special powers, begotten from some ancient ritual no doubt (his back story will be in MCU in 2024).

Semi has the power to make things... halved. So if Time Lord jumps 12 inches to block a shot, Semi can make him look a fool by making it six inches. Same for bedtime activities where size does matter.

And if Time Lord decides to go back in time to 1919? Semi makes it.... um 1959.

Anyway, you get the point. They are both on the same team and need to join their super powers. I don't necessarily want to see Semi get more minutes than Williams, but I also don't wan't to see a 3' 5" Time Lord.... or Ojeleye sent back to early 19th Century US.

With great power comes great responsibility.
Hey you! Can we come together?
5InOfLouisville
Senior

Post#229 » by 5InOfLouisville » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:09 pm

cloverleaf wrote:

I thought he didn't play in the SL last year and this was his first time in it--which he absolutely killed, by the way.

He put up impressive counting stats against less experienced, less athletic borderline nba players in a disorganized environment.

Im rooting for the kid to succeed, but he doesnt seem to understand rotations, spacing, or basketball in general

I understand how someone could look at summer league boxscores and say he killed it, but i cant see how anybody could have watched the games and come away thinking he’s ready for the league.

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#230 » by cloverleaf » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:13 pm

5InOfLouisville wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

He put up impressive counting stats against less experienced, less athletic borderline nba players in a disorganized environment.

Im rooting for the kid to succeed, but he doesnt seem to understand rotations, spacing, or basketball in general

I understand how someone could look at summer league boxscores and say he killed it, but i cant see how anybody could have watched the games and come away thinking he’s ready for the league.

Did you see his passing? Sure, he's still working on team D and rotations and all of that, but he's got a feel for the game. He was barely coached in high school and college compared to a lot of these second-generation pro players and then was dealing with his bad knees limiting still further his playing time last season, but IMO he just needs more experience in real games to be an excellent role player of exactly the type they need.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,905

Post#231 » by Parliament10 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:20 pm

cloverleaf wrote:

Yeah. He started Summer League last year. But, was injured early (Banged knees with someone), and held out of the rest of SL.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
5InOfLouisville
Senior

Post#232 » by 5InOfLouisville » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:24 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
5InOfLouisville wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Did you see his passing? Sure, he's still working on team D and rotations and all of that, but he's got a feel for the game. He was barely coached in high school and college compared to a lot of these second-generation pro players and then was dealing with his bad knees limiting still further his playing time last season, but IMO he just needs more experience in real games to be an excellent role player of exactly the type they need.

He definitely shows flashes. He did make some slick passes and showed a nice touch on occasion. There’s definitely some dexterity there, as well as the obvious athleticism.

I agree that id like to see him get more experience and see what happens. I certainly dont want to write him off, but i always worry when i see great athletes who look confused out there.

And how does he get that experience? He has to show it in practice, and to this point, it doesnt seem he has.

Again, i dont want to bet against him and im totally rooting for him, but he looks a year away from contributing to me

But if you get the opportunity to tell me you told me so this year, i wont be mad it!

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#233 » by Parliament10 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:38 pm

5InOfLouisville wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
5InOfLouisville wrote:

He definitely shows flashes. He did make some slick passes and showed a nice touch on occasion. There’s definitely some dexterity there, as well as the obvious athleticism.

I agree that id like to see him get more experience and see what happens. I certainly dont want to write him off, but i always worry when i see great athletes who look confused out there.

And how does he get that experience? He has to show it in practice, and to this point, it doesnt seem he has.

Again, i dont want to bet against him and im totally rooting for him, but he looks a year away from contributing to me

But if you get the opportunity to tell me you told me so this year, i wont be mad it!

I think that TimeLord just looked confused at times, being that he was a Rookie, and that the Celtics have a tough system to learn. -- He did play in 32 NBA games, and only 5 G-League games. So they want him up on the Big team.

I think that he'll get plenty more playing time this year.
I consider Robert Williams to be our Center of the Future.

It's his to lose. Or gain. As the case may be.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
5InOfLouisville
Senior

Post#234 » by 5InOfLouisville » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:00 pm

If timelord masters rotations and laying off fakes, im all in. I wouldnt even worry about his offense.

I believe in his physical tools obviously. We are thin on talent at the position and youre right, the opportunity is there

Im ready to be sold...I WANT to be sold. Theres a decent case for him... but when i watch him, he still seems a bit far away, while offering those glimpses of what might be.

Is there a comp out there, who seemed lost but then picked it up? Let me get a couple bees in and maybe ill order a timelord poster before the nights over

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#235 » by Parliament10 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:12 pm

5InOfLouisville wrote:If timelord masters rotations and laying off fakes, im all in. I wouldnt even worry about his offense.

I believe in his physical tools obviously. We are thin on talent at the position and youre right, the opportunity is there

Im ready to be sold...I WANT to be sold. Theres a decent case for him... but when i watch him, he still seems a bit far away, while offering those glimpses of what might be.

Is there a comp out there, who seemed lost but then picked it up? Let me get a couple bees in and maybe ill order a timelord poster before the nights over

Hassan Whiteside bounced around for awhile, before sticking in the NBA.
R. Williams is only 21, and came in with his natural talent.

Now, let's see if he can learn anything.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#236 » by brackdan70 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:32 pm

cloverleaf wrote:

He played 7 minutes in Summer League 2018.
Hence the “douchey” sarcasm.
Agreed cloverleaf, he was damn solid this year.
Sign here
5InOfLouisville
Senior

Post#237 » by 5InOfLouisville » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:57 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Ok neat. Youre a thorough timelord historian and youve done well chronicling his journey through the nba and through all of our hearts and i think youre the man

Xoxoxoxo
Bff now?

brackdan70
RealGM

Post#238 » by brackdan70 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:21 pm

5InOfLouisville wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Ok neat. Youre a thorough timelord historian and youve done well chronicling his journey through the nba and through all of our hearts and i think youre the man

Xoxoxoxo
Bff now?

Since you don’t dig sarcasm, I’ll assume this is sincere.

Cheers
Sign here
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#239 » by OldCeltics » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:29 am

Dogen wrote:
OldCeltics wrote:

Ojeleye has his own special powers, begotten from some ancient ritual no doubt (his back story will be in MCU in 2024).

Semi has the power to make things... halved. So if Time Lord jumps 12 inches to block a shot, Semi can make him look a fool by making it six inches. Same for bedtime activities where size does matter.

Anyway, you get the point. They are both on the same team and need to join their super powers. I don't necessarily want to see Semi get more minutes than Williams, but I also don't wan't to see a 3' 5" Time Lord.... or Ojeleye sent back to early 19th Century US.

So then Timelord will adjust, and go back to 1819, with Semi's power he will land in 1919 where he wanted to. An half of Timelord's bedroom activities is still more than 90% of most basketball players.

All I'm saying is when you have the most powerful super hero, you use him, don't put him on the bench.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,060

Post#240 » by Dogen » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:44 am

OldCeltics wrote:
Dogen wrote:
OldCeltics wrote:

So then Timelord will adjust, and go back to 1819, with Semi's power he will land in 1919 where he wanted to. An half of Timelord's bedroom activities is still more than 90% of most basketball players.

All I'm saying is when you have the most powerful super hero, you use him, don't put him on the bench.

Yes, well with that logic, coach is also going to have to find some minutes for the one player who's super power is to spontaneously produce all-you-can-eat Tacos. Everybody wins. :beer:
Hey you! Can we come together?

Return to Boston Celtics