Assume He Repeats Last Season. What Does Montrezl Harrell Get Paid Next Summer?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Re: Assume He Repeats Last Season. What Does Montrezl Harrell Get Paid Next Summer? 

Post#61 » by Vae Victus » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:25 pm

It's gonna interesting to see how Harrell does with the new look Contender Clippers.

Harrell stepped up in a huge way in the playoffs playing off the bench and wrecking 2nd units. However with the addition of Kawhi and PG13, who both like to penetrate to get theirs, how much will that affect Harrell i wonder? If Harrell can fit seamlessly with both Kawhi + PG13 in crunchtime 4th quarter lineups, even without a solid 3pt shot, i can see the Clips just biting the bullet and giving him big money. It'll become a no brainer if the Clips win a chip. They'll resign everyone, balloon into the tax, and run it back.

Personally i see Harrell willing to take a paycut, prolly somewhere like 4/68 range. It's great to be winning in a city like Harrell, even at the cost of a coupla mil a year.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,601

Re: Assume He Repeats Last Season. What Does Montrezl Harrell Get Paid Next Summer? 

Post#62 » by OkcSinceSGA » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:31 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
Up-And-Coming wrote:
It's an unreliable stat in that Montrezl Harrell never in his career played close to 36 mpg. You're defensive when I wasn't even overtly critical of your Clipper

I'm not defensive or upset at all. I'm saying if anything Harrell is a perfect example of why PER 36 is a useful metric. I wanted you to explain what flaws you were referring to.

PER 36 is not meant to be used to extrapolate larger minutes, that is not a statistically valid way to use it. It's meant to standardize comps for players that play around 36 minutes but not exactly the same number of minutes.

Not sure what it was "meant" for but I know it has a pretty damn good track record on extrapolation relative to many other metrics I've seen. Also it doesn't extrapolate necessarily to = those statistics but it DOES have a fantastic correlation with players who have phenomenal PER 36 stats that get more minutes normally have increased production and outplay counterparts with bad PER 36 numbers. It depends on what you are trying to extrapolate. I'm not so much as concerned with Harrell actually putting up 24/9/3 as I am that on a per minute/per possession basis he's a hell of a lot better than an average player.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,554

Post#63 » by lonzo_pelota » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:36 pm

as much as it pains me to say it, he's aligning himself as one of the premiere big men in the league he's probably top 15 right now
and he's been underpaid so u have to compensate him accordingly to what the other big men in his realm are making, 16-24mill or in that vicinity
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,904

Post#64 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:42 pm

20M+

He is going to get paid next summer as the class is booty all around. He could be the top big available. My issue with him is that his value is much more clear to a team with elite talents around than a team paying him 'top 3 option' type money, but that his efficiency will nonetheless lead to a team offering him that type of money.
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,554

Post#65 » by lonzo_pelota » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:43 pm

the vibe i get from montrezl is the better u pay him the better he'll play , its other players that u get the vibe when they get they're big contract they take their foot off the gas
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#66 » by Scalabrine » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:22 am

queridiculo wrote:
    j-ragg wrote:4/60 was the first thing that came to mind. I like him a lot. But bigs are pretty abundant.

Quality bigs aren't exactly a dime a dozen.

All it takes is one team with cap space falling in love with what he brings to the table.

When guys like Portis are signing deals at $15 million per you mean to tell me that Harrell can't get at least $80 million over 4 years?

Portis' deal was a 1 year deal though. If it was a 3 year 45 million dollar deal then you'd have a point, but players typically get overpaid to sign deals with less guaranteed years and money overall...
    Go Knicks!
    JN61
    RealGM
    And1: 9,021

Post#67 » by JN61 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:30 am

Rich Paul as agent? Sounds like Noel scenario then.
    Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.

Return to The General Board