Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: 2020 NBA Draft 

Post#421 » by Ruzious » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:03 pm

clyde21 wrote:obviously subject to change, but outside of Lewis, I don't see any other top 10 or 12 wing

not sold on Moore or Whitney, i like Precious but he's more of a combo forward type.

any other wings that could be in that range?

I haven't seen enough of Whitney to have a strong opinion, but just from highlights, I think he and Maxey have a good shot at being really good - but both are a ways away.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#422 » by No-Man » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:05 pm

Hayes, Gobert and Whiteside are way better at lob catching than Wiseman, and just better rollers, Wiseman is a loader, takes time for him to get there and get a lob, not going to be a dynamic P&R big imo

The consensus #1 ranked guy from HS sucks often lately, well maybe not sucks, but clearly isn't close to that label
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#423 » by nolang1 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:42 pm

Fischella wrote:Hayes, Gobert and Whiteside are way better at lob catching than Wiseman, and just better rollers, Wiseman is a loader, takes time for him to get there and get a lob, not going to be a dynamic P&R big imo

The consensus #1 ranked guy from HS sucks often lately, well maybe not sucks, but clearly isn't close to that label

Wiseman will turn 19 at the end of the college season. Whiteside turned 20 before he played a single game in college and didn't do anything of note in the NBA until age 25, so I can assure you Wiseman is doing fine for his stage of development. Obviously he's still growing into his body and most of the criticisms of him besides not being a good 3-point shooter (again, he's the type of player where 3-point shooting is a nice bonus to have and can still be good without it) are about how he can be pushed around by guys who developed earlier and/or are a year plus older than him despite being in the same high school class.

And of course you could make similar blanket statements against any other particular ranking spot because if you're near the top it's far more likely you move down than up (the last 4 RSCI #5s are Ivan Rabb, Markelle Fultz, Trevon Duval, and Romeo Langford, so that spot looks to be even more cursed than #1, and of course nobody's silly enough to say that people should be much higher on whichever random player happens to be ranked where Ja Morant was) but the number 1 spot gives you max contrarian points. I can't help but shake the feeling that if he were the 70th-ranked recruit and had the same highlight reels, most of the same people saying he sucks would instead be raving about how he's a high-lottery sleeper who's super raw but has an excellent frame and a lot of potential.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#424 » by No-Man » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:06 pm

It's about the type of athlete you are, I am not talking about Wiseman's body, just his hops, that's difficult to change or improve upon, he might but he is very much like Damian Jones there, good athlete yeah, even really good for his dimensions, but still needs time to exert his athleticism, reaction time and IQ are often times more important and his are not great imo

He sucks for a guy being projected to get picked 1st overall, so yeah, ofc if he were the 70th ranked recruit and not expected to even be a OAD the story would be much different, not sure what your point is (?)
nolang1
Assistant Coach

Post#425 » by nolang1 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:20 pm

Fischella wrote:It's about the type of athlete you are, I am not talking about Wiseman's body, just his hops, that's difficult to change or improve upon, he might but he is very much like Damian Jones there, good athlete yeah, even really good for his dimensions, but still needs time to exert his athleticism, reaction time and IQ are often times more important and his are not great imo

He sucks for a guy being projected to get picked 1st overall, so yeah, ofc if he were the 70th ranked recruit and not expected to even be a OAD the story would be much different, not sure what your point is (?)

Why would it be much different? High school accolades should have no bearing on someone's draft stock. He's the longest and most athletic big in the draft, is the best finisher overall, and has the most shot-blocking potential. You'd have to point me to a place that considers him some sort of generational prospect or in his own tier as the #1 pick. He's just one of the guys in the mix for #1 in another weak draft, and even having him #1 is going to be a more accurate assessment than thinking he's a borderline lotto pick or like Skal Labissiere.

I have no idea where the 'that's difficult to change or improve upon' blanket statement comes from; it's quite common that long, skinny guys who are still growing into their bodies look more explosive when they add some muscle/core strength. That's exactly what happened during summer league and everyone was acting like it was some crazy surprise there too.

He's continued to get stronger and develop skill-wise throughout his high school career (people bizarrely seem to discount that the McDonald's/Hoop Summit practices and games are where he's looked the best when they're the most recent data points for players who are all still a work in progress). I'm of the minority opinion that if someone is the kind of elite finisher who can shoot 70 plus percent from the field, I'm fine with them focusing on rim running, lobs, offensive rebounds, and some simple post moves rather than trying to be a point guard, but Wiseman has a solid amount of skill for a young big. He's comfortable flashing to mid-range jumpers and makes some nice plays in transition both with handling the ball and making outlet passes.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#426 » by clyde21 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:50 pm

nolang1 wrote:
Fischella wrote:Hayes, Gobert and Whiteside are way better at lob catching than Wiseman, and just better rollers, Wiseman is a loader, takes time for him to get there and get a lob, not going to be a dynamic P&R big imo

Wiseman will turn 19 at the end of the college season. Whiteside turned 20 before he played a single game in college and didn't do anything of note in the NBA until age 25, so I can assure you Wiseman is doing fine for his stage of development. Obviously he's still growing into his body and most of the criticisms of him besides not being a good 3-point shooter (again, he's the type of player where 3-point shooting is a nice bonus to have and can still be good without it) are about how he can be pushed around by guys who developed earlier and/or are a year plus older than him despite being in the same high school class.

And of course you could make similar blanket statements against any other particular ranking spot because if you're near the top it's far more likely you move down than up (the last 4 RSCI #5s are Ivan Rabb, Markelle Fultz, Trevon Duval, and Romeo Langford, so that spot looks to be even more cursed than #1, and of course nobody's silly enough to say that people should be much higher on whichever random player happens to be ranked where Ja Morant was) but the number 1 spot gives you max contrarian points. I can't help but shake the feeling that if he were the 70th-ranked recruit and had the same highlight reels, most of the same people saying he sucks would instead be raving about how he's a high-lottery sleeper who's super raw but has an excellent frame and a lot of potential.

well no ****...people are going to be a lot more critical of the #1 ranked guy over the 70th ranked guy...shocking, I know.
nolang1
Assistant Coach

Post#427 » by nolang1 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:32 pm

clyde21 wrote:
nolang1 wrote:

well no ****...people are going to be a lot more critical of the #1 ranked guy over the 70th ranked guy...shocking, I know.

Again this is totally irrelevant. If you draft a player at a certain spot it's because you think they'll be better than anyone else left on the board; there's no rule that says you can't draft someone who was the 70th ranked high school recruit in the top 3. I’m saying a player with James Wiseman’s strengths should be in consideration for a high lottery pick regardless of where he happened to be ranked as a recruit.

If you think you are that much smarter than the people who rank high school prospects or the ESPN mock draft guys or whoever, then that's even more reason to not waste your time criticizing rankings that are worthless to you and actually focusing on what your higher-ranked players do well. Of course, they're not actually worthless and we see that to some people, they serve as an important benchmark to base contrarian stances off of (e.g. James Wiseman sucks more because he was rated #1 ahead of some player I like better rather than #4 or #6 or whatever).
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#428 » by GimmeDat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:27 am

There was a bit of hype here about Jack White early last college season.. do you guys still think he would be draftable if the shot comes around this upcoming season?
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,061

Post#429 » by Hoopz Afrik » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:11 pm

GimmeDat wrote:There was a bit of hype here about Jack White early last college season.. do you guys still think he would be draftable if the shot comes around this upcoming season?

I don't think that jumper ever comes around. He's undraftable IMO.
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,061

Post#430 » by Hoopz Afrik » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:20 pm

Wiseman is interesting to me. I think he has all the tools to dominate. I'm not as sold on his status as a "unicorn" and my only worry is that he'll come out and really try to prove that he has that modern big, faceup and dribble drive game which from what I've seen isn't necessarily his strong suit. If he keeps it simple (a la Ayton 2 szns ago at Zona) then I don't see any reason why he won't be in consideration for top overall. He has to add some strength and get a bit tougher down in the trenches but I still like the guy.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
clyde21
RealGM

Post#431 » by clyde21 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:28 pm

GimmeDat wrote:There was a bit of hype here about Jack White early last college season.. do you guys still think he would be draftable if the shot comes around this upcoming season?

possibly draftable in the 50-60 range but it's situational, don't think he's particularly good at anything.
nolang1
Assistant Coach

Post#432 » by nolang1 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:47 pm

2020 gains another lottery talent with N'Faly Dante officially reclassifying. He'll play for Oregon this year.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#433 » by clyde21 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:14 am

still convinced Lewis and Hampton are the top 2 guys in this class, with no clear #1 guy.
LSandersBong
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#434 » by LSandersBong » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:23 am

Anyone like James Akinjo point guard as a potential late first round pick? Seems like his back court partner Mac Mclung has way more hype. He will more likely stay the whole 4 years or go 2nd round or undrafted due to his lack of size to be honest.

He does have a few flaws in his games e.g needs to work on making smarter shots, his shooting splits weren't the best and he often went head first into traffic often coming of second best.

However he was Big East Freshman of the year, he is very quick and can break down defenses with his handles and makes smart plays/pass's. He's also still 18 turning 19 in November so will be younger then a lot of the incoming freshman class.

Not sure if he is able to translate into a dependable point guard of the bench for a NBA team or just a good college player with a good overseas career
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#435 » by Coeur » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:19 am

I’m really interested in what new coaching does to UCLA. ESP 2 3rd year guys w IMO lottery talent. Chris smith And Jaylen Hill.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#436 » by clyde21 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:40 pm

any word on how serious the Queta injury is?
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#437 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:28 pm

No. Not a NBA athlete, jumper is the definition of inconsistent, he could be insanely hot for a couple weeks then he could go a month and a half without hitting a 3. Also mentally I dont think he has what is needed. I really like the kid, but I just dont think he has the confidence in himself to do it.

If he was a legit 6'9 and that shot became consistent, I could see maybe late 2nd round or getting himself a 2 way contract. But right now he is a 6'7 PF that at moments was unplayable last year as a junior. Dont think he should be considered as a prospect until he shows something.
gorz
Sixth Man
And1: 1,603

Post#438 » by gorz » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:38 am

clyde21 wrote:still convinced Lewis and Hampton are the top 2 guys in this class, with no clear #1 guy.

You are not sold on Anthony Edwards?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#439 » by clyde21 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:44 am

gorz wrote:
clyde21 wrote:still convinced Lewis and Hampton are the top 2 guys in this class, with no clear #1 guy.

in what way?i think hes a top 5 guy but I like Hampton and Lewis better at this point
gorz
Sixth Man
And1: 1,603

Post#440 » by gorz » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:34 am

clyde21 wrote:
gorz wrote:

in what way?i think hes a top 5 guy but I like Hampton and Lewis better at this point

As the clear cut #1 guy. Both hampton and lewis are more raw and less athletic than edwards.

Return to NBA Draft