ImageImageImageImageImage

Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread

Moderators: Capn'O, mpharris36, Deeeez Knicks, GONYK, j4remi, NoLayupRule, K-DOT, Thugger HBC, mrpoetryNmotion, Jeff Van Gully, King of Canada

User avatar
K-DOT
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 10,662
And1: 13,223
Joined: Nov 25, 2016
         

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#741 » by K-DOT » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:49 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:Dennis is a bouncy guy who can change direction on the dime. Now that he can actually shoot the ball he will be hard to contain. Only thing stopping him from being a star now would be the quality of his decision making.

Which I think isn't that bad

I can't quantify it, but I'm pretty sure I saw plenty of times him making good decisions, stuff like making the right pass, or more importantly passing without needing to get an assist (the big separator between him and Mudiay), just running plays and stuff

If his shot is for real, that just completely opens up his game, and he has great potential. If RJ gets his shot down too (as well as plays defense), we could have an incredible backcourt
BAF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Jalen Lecque
Cam Johnson/Malik Monk
Keita Bates-Diop
Darius Bazley/Juan Hernangomez
Goga Bitadze/Dwight Howard

Reserves: Pat McCaw, Isaac Bonga, Melvin Frazier, Gorgui Dieng
IR: Josh Jackson's contract (rip)
Nazrmohamed
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,132
And1: 1,943
Joined: May 16, 2013
     

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#742 » by Nazrmohamed » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:54 pm

K-DOT wrote:So I've been having some fun with a new tool I found on stats.nba.com that allows you to see stuff like Ortg, Drtg, Netrtg, other stuff, for a player when another player is on or off the court

I was doing some digging, and I saw some stuff I expected, like Tim being an absolute black hole for advanced stats, it was pretty brutal, and so was Knox but that's to be expected. Then I thought, let me see what DSJ was about, cause I was pretty sure he was better than the numbers said

I'm going through, and turns out Mitch and DJ didn't really change much which I was surprised about given how bad DJ was for us, but then I found this:

https://stats.nba.com/vs/advanced/#!?PlayerID=1628372&VsPlayerID=1628995&Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&SeasonSegment=Post%20All-Star

It's DSJ's advanced stats for when Knox was on the court with him vs off (I limited the dates to post ASB to only get DSJ's play with the Knicks). DSJ had an Ortg of 100.9 and Drtg of 113.1 when Knox was on the floor with him for a Netrtg of -12.1, which is terrible. But when DSJ wasn't sharing the court with Knox?

107 Ortg, 101.1 Drtg, +5.9 Netrtg

Meaning we were 18 points per 100 possessions better with DSJ when Knox was off the court vs on the court. That's insane to me. DSJ's also 30 points better with Dot than without. Now, to be fair, this is a pretty small sample size, but even still, I think it's big enough to show a trend. Really just shows how bad Knox was last year, but I think some of us are underrating DSJ.

Also, just as a side thought, I'm really upset we didn't get to see Frank and DSJ play together. Cause both of their advanced stats were dragged down by playing most of their minutes with terrible players statistically (Knox for DSJ, Tim for Frank), both synergized really well with Dot, both pairs (DSJ/Dot and Frank/Dot) were kind of symbiotic, in both cases both were better off with the other on, worse with the other off. So, I'd be interested to see how a DSJ/Frank/Dot lineup looks statistically. Could just be small sample sizes though, so take everything I've said with a grain of salt.


Been saying for a while that I liked Dotson more than Trier in that tier of player. And I say that tier cause let's face it, these guys arent starters. Some of our starters arent starters. But I feel like Trier is maybe the best option we got off the bench to get you buckets and trips to the foul line. Dotson is more everyone's favorite glue guy and I think you just illustrated that in your post.
User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 34,081
And1: 21,753
Joined: Jul 12, 2009
Location: Free Candy Van
 

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#743 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:09 pm

K-DOT wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:Dennis is a bouncy guy who can change direction on the dime. Now that he can actually shoot the ball he will be hard to contain. Only thing stopping him from being a star now would be the quality of his decision making.

Which I think isn't that bad

I can't quantify it, but I'm pretty sure I saw plenty of times him making good decisions, stuff like making the right pass, or more importantly passing without needing to get an assist (the big separator between him and Mudiay), just running plays and stuff

If his shot is for real, that just completely opens up his game, and he has great potential. If RJ gets his shot down too (as well as plays defense), we could have an incredible backcourt


I think so. They really should be the starting backcourt AFAIK tell from here.

RJ's shot will be fine. I'm fairly certain of that. He's driven and talented and will work it out. Multi-dimensional guys like him who come into the league needing to refine their jumper usually improve during their career.

I don't think DSJr is selfish. He can be faulted as high usage and that is a good way to deconstruct him and find his flaws, but the rebuilt shooting mechanics will probably amend a lot of those criticisms, because I see him as a willing dump passer and lobber and those two aspects of his game are going to another level because he's going to have a fair amount of open lane due to guys having to defend his three.

Smith may soon be close to the ideal modern PG provided he remains unselfish. But it is important to remember that while we are not currently configured to be a league leader in threes, we are set up to be close to # 1 in dunks and scores at the rim. We have multiple guys who can trail and back door successfully and if Smith is going to do what I think he will do then he does have an opportunity to be among the assist leaders due to those passes off his penetration.

If that all transpires, we also have an able backup PG in Payton so it will only take a couple of things to click for the Knicks to be much better than most expect.

I believe RJ is going to have a good season though. Without that I would be less optimistic. I'm not sure he'll be consistent in the first quarter of the season, but he'll find his groove.
User avatar
K-DOT
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 10,662
And1: 13,223
Joined: Nov 25, 2016
         

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#744 » by K-DOT » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:20 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:Dennis is a bouncy guy who can change direction on the dime. Now that he can actually shoot the ball he will be hard to contain. Only thing stopping him from being a star now would be the quality of his decision making.

Which I think isn't that bad

I can't quantify it, but I'm pretty sure I saw plenty of times him making good decisions, stuff like making the right pass, or more importantly passing without needing to get an assist (the big separator between him and Mudiay), just running plays and stuff

If his shot is for real, that just completely opens up his game, and he has great potential. If RJ gets his shot down too (as well as plays defense), we could have an incredible backcourt


I think so. They really should be the starting backcourt AFAIK tell from here.

RJ's shot will be fine. I'm fairly certain of that. He's driven and talented and will work it out. Multi-dimensional guys like him who come into the league needing to refine their jumper usually improve during their career.

I don't think DSJr is selfish. He can be faulted as high usage and that is a good way to deconstruct him and find his flaws, but the rebuilt shooting mechanics will probably amend a lot of those criticisms, because I see him as a willing dump passer and lobber and those two aspects of his game are going to another level because he's going to have a fair amount of open lane due to guys having to defend his three.

Smith may soon be close to the ideal modern PG provided he remains unselfish. But it is important to remember that while we are not currently configured to be a league leader in threes, we are set up to be close to # 1 in dunks and scores at the rim. We have multiple guys who can trail and back door successfully and if Smith is going to do what I think he will do then he does have an opportunity to be among the assist leaders due to those passes off his penetration.

If that all transpires, we also have an able backup PG in Payton so it will only take a couple of things to click for the Knicks to be much better than most expect.

I believe RJ is going to have a good season though. Without that I would be less optimistic. I'm not sure he'll be consistent in the first quarter of the season, but he'll find his groove.

That's the key here

There's a big gap between being a high usage, score first guy, and being a score only guy. Like I said, I can't prove this statistically (or if I can, I don't know how), but I'm pretty sure I saw DSJ multiple times a game passing the ball to set up a play, not just to get an assist.

That and the fact that he can actually finish around the rim is why despite having many similarities to Mudiay, I like him so much more. Which I can prove statistically. Fun fact, in 246 games Mudiay has dunked 43 times. DSJ had 31 just last year (only 53 games), and 40 his rookie year (69 games). Plus, DSJ shoots 60% for his career at the rim compared to 51% from Mudiay

Really, the only thing holding him back is his shooting so far. If his shot is legit, I don't think he has any really glaring flaws. But it may be rough next year, cause it's still a work in progress, and RJ's tbd, but likely not gonna be a good shooter right off the bat. One more year, maybe two, of jank and then we should be good to go.
BAF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Jalen Lecque
Cam Johnson/Malik Monk
Keita Bates-Diop
Darius Bazley/Juan Hernangomez
Goga Bitadze/Dwight Howard

Reserves: Pat McCaw, Isaac Bonga, Melvin Frazier, Gorgui Dieng
IR: Josh Jackson's contract (rip)
User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 34,081
And1: 21,753
Joined: Jul 12, 2009
Location: Free Candy Van
 

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#745 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:22 pm

I will always root for the success of a young, talented PG

One of my great frustrations has been the Knicks void of talent at the position for most of the past 20 years

Steph was the only true talent, but he was a disappointment so really there hasn't been anyone I can root for in a long time.

Dennis has physical abilities that only several guards like Westbrook possess. He'll never been in the conversation with a guy like Steph who is too unique to compare to.

But in terms of basic raw ability to get the rim and pass the ball and now to actually shoot, Smith has one of the best talent packages to excel at the modern Inside/Outside offenses.

I believe Fiz will favor him because an attacking guard is what he clearly values. Smith looks like he is in shape and ready to correct the mistakes from his uneven season last year.
User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 34,081
And1: 21,753
Joined: Jul 12, 2009
Location: Free Candy Van
 

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#746 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:34 pm

K-DOT wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
K-DOT wrote:Which I think isn't that bad

I can't quantify it, but I'm pretty sure I saw plenty of times him making good decisions, stuff like making the right pass, or more importantly passing without needing to get an assist (the big separator between him and Mudiay), just running plays and stuff

If his shot is for real, that just completely opens up his game, and he has great potential. If RJ gets his shot down too (as well as plays defense), we could have an incredible backcourt


I think so. They really should be the starting backcourt AFAIK tell from here.

RJ's shot will be fine. I'm fairly certain of that. He's driven and talented and will work it out. Multi-dimensional guys like him who come into the league needing to refine their jumper usually improve during their career.

I don't think DSJr is selfish. He can be faulted as high usage and that is a good way to deconstruct him and find his flaws, but the rebuilt shooting mechanics will probably amend a lot of those criticisms, because I see him as a willing dump passer and lobber and those two aspects of his game are going to another level because he's going to have a fair amount of open lane due to guys having to defend his three.

Smith may soon be close to the ideal modern PG provided he remains unselfish. But it is important to remember that while we are not currently configured to be a league leader in threes, we are set up to be close to # 1 in dunks and scores at the rim. We have multiple guys who can trail and back door successfully and if Smith is going to do what I think he will do then he does have an opportunity to be among the assist leaders due to those passes off his penetration.

If that all transpires, we also have an able backup PG in Payton so it will only take a couple of things to click for the Knicks to be much better than most expect.

I believe RJ is going to have a good season though. Without that I would be less optimistic. I'm not sure he'll be consistent in the first quarter of the season, but he'll find his groove.

That's the key here

There's a big gap between being a high usage, score first guy, and being a score only guy. Like I said, I can't prove this statistically (or if I can, I don't know how), but I'm pretty sure I saw DSJ multiple times a game passing the ball to set up a play, not just to get an assist.

That and the fact that he can actually finish around the rim is why despite having many similarities to Mudiay, I like him so much more. Which I can prove statistically. Fun fact, in 246 games Mudiay has dunked 43 times. DSJ had 31 just last year (only 53 games), and 40 his rookie year (69 games). Plus, DSJ shoots 60% for his career at the rim compared to 51% from Mudiay

Really, the only thing holding him back is his shooting so far. If his shot is legit, I don't think he has any really glaring flaws. But it may be rough next year, cause it's still a work in progress, and RJ's tbd, but likely not gonna be a good shooter right off the bat. One more year, maybe two, of jank and then we should be good to go.


I think it is pretty simple from a coaching perspective. If Smith has a clear path to the rim, then finish the drive. If he draws coverage, dump pass or lob it.

But Smith should never be considered a ball hog if he gets clean, high percentage looks at the rim. That's a gift you need to cash in on.

Mudiay was stopped at the rim way too often. He did not dump pass when heavily contested often enough.

Smith seems to be able to calculate on the drive or in the air which was a great weakness for Mudiay. And since Mudiay bulled his way inside with his head down often, it was not really a high percentage style of play. I think DSJr should be way better in that aspect.

I don't really think of development in exactly the way some do. As a big believer in roster construction being the difference maker as much as any one talent on the team, I see development as a product of playing together, gaining familiarity and each guy facilitating the other guys' strengths.

All of the really fine clubs I've enjoyed watching do this. It is the hallmark of the SA system really. It takes years of playing together. GS clicked when the core guys matured after playing together for several years.

Perhaps the Knicks can become one of those organizations. I think Perry fits that description. I worry that Fiz lacks vision and is too impatient with player combos to let certain units build that synchronicity.

Long story short, I see a player like DSJr breaking out due to (a) improved shot opening the floor and (b) franchise investing its confidence in him long enough for him to sync with his teammates.

It may be a small thing, but I think several former Dallas teammates have spoken well of DSJr and that they liked playing with him.
User avatar
BKlutch
General Manager
Posts: 9,562
And1: 5,761
Joined: Jan 11, 2015
Location: Jamaica, NY
     

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#747 » by BKlutch » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:50 pm

Dennis' shot in that video was silky smooth, like I never saw it before. It was a pleasure to watch - I hope he decides to use it during actual games.
.
.
----------------------
Killa Knickzzz Kidz
User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 34,081
And1: 21,753
Joined: Jul 12, 2009
Location: Free Candy Van
 

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#748 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:43 pm

BKlutch wrote:Dennis' shot in that video was silky smooth, like I never saw it before. It was a pleasure to watch - I hope he decides to use it during actual games.


Image
User avatar
Fat Kat
RealGM
Posts: 25,185
And1: 14,331
Joined: Apr 19, 2004
     

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#749 » by Fat Kat » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:53 pm

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
User avatar
NYKnickerbocker
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,560
And1: 2,729
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
Location: Queens
       

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#750 » by NYKnickerbocker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:14 pm

Hopefully he closer to the agent zero comp than the Jennings lol
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 19,670
And1: 12,891
Joined: Jul 31, 2010
     

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#751 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:27 pm

i try not to get too hype on videos of this nature because they only show the good. but junior looks poised for a breakout. this is defintely his opportunity to cement himself as "the guy."
RIP magnumt

all we got iz us szn(s)
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 19,670
And1: 12,891
Joined: Jul 31, 2010
     

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#752 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:27 pm

NYKnickerbocker wrote:Hopefully he closer to the agent zero comp than the Jennings lol


interesting to choose arenas as the high endpoint.
RIP magnumt

all we got iz us szn(s)
User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 34,081
And1: 21,753
Joined: Jul 12, 2009
Location: Free Candy Van
 

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#753 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:07 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
NYKnickerbocker wrote:Hopefully he closer to the agent zero comp than the Jennings lol


interesting to choose arenas as the high endpoint.


possibly related due to DSJr's sponsorship deal with the American Express Traveler's Gun Kit: "Don't leave home without it"
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 19,670
And1: 12,891
Joined: Jul 31, 2010
     

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#754 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:12 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
NYKnickerbocker wrote:Hopefully he closer to the agent zero comp than the Jennings lol


interesting to choose arenas as the high endpoint.


possibly related due to DSJr's sponsorship deal with the American Express Traveler's Gun Kit: "Don't leave home without it"


yikes
RIP magnumt

all we got iz us szn(s)
User avatar
NYKnickerbocker
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,560
And1: 2,729
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
Location: Queens
       

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#755 » by NYKnickerbocker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:24 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
NYKnickerbocker wrote:Hopefully he closer to the agent zero comp than the Jennings lol


interesting to choose arenas as the high endpoint.

Well he’s not gunna be Lebron or curry, and I’d take peak arenas ovr kyrie
User avatar
mrpoetryNmotion
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 7,585
And1: 896
Joined: Jun 28, 2009
Location: Purgatory
     

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#756 » by mrpoetryNmotion » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:26 pm

K-DOT wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
K-DOT wrote:Which I think isn't that bad

I can't quantify it, but I'm pretty sure I saw plenty of times him making good decisions, stuff like making the right pass, or more importantly passing without needing to get an assist (the big separator between him and Mudiay), just running plays and stuff

If his shot is for real, that just completely opens up his game, and he has great potential. If RJ gets his shot down too (as well as plays defense), we could have an incredible backcourt


I think so. They really should be the starting backcourt AFAIK tell from here.

RJ's shot will be fine. I'm fairly certain of that. He's driven and talented and will work it out. Multi-dimensional guys like him who come into the league needing to refine their jumper usually improve during their career.

I don't think DSJr is selfish. He can be faulted as high usage and that is a good way to deconstruct him and find his flaws, but the rebuilt shooting mechanics will probably amend a lot of those criticisms, because I see him as a willing dump passer and lobber and those two aspects of his game are going to another level because he's going to have a fair amount of open lane due to guys having to defend his three.

Smith may soon be close to the ideal modern PG provided he remains unselfish. But it is important to remember that while we are not currently configured to be a league leader in threes, we are set up to be close to # 1 in dunks and scores at the rim. We have multiple guys who can trail and back door successfully and if Smith is going to do what I think he will do then he does have an opportunity to be among the assist leaders due to those passes off his penetration.

If that all transpires, we also have an able backup PG in Payton so it will only take a couple of things to click for the Knicks to be much better than most expect.

I believe RJ is going to have a good season though. Without that I would be less optimistic. I'm not sure he'll be consistent in the first quarter of the season, but he'll find his groove.

That's the key here

There's a big gap between being a high usage, score first guy, and being a score only guy. Like I said, I can't prove this statistically (or if I can, I don't know how), but I'm pretty sure I saw DSJ multiple times a game passing the ball to set up a play, not just to get an assist.

That and the fact that he can actually finish around the rim is why despite having many similarities to Mudiay, I like him so much more. Which I can prove statistically. Fun fact, in 246 games Mudiay has dunked 43 times. DSJ had 31 just last year (only 53 games), and 40 his rookie year (69 games). Plus, DSJ shoots 60% for his career at the rim compared to 51% from Mudiay

Really, the only thing holding him back is his shooting so far. If his shot is legit, I don't think he has any really glaring flaws. But it may be rough next year, cause it's still a work in progress, and RJ's tbd, but likely not gonna be a good shooter right off the bat. One more year, maybe two, of jank and then we should be good to go.


I do not entirely agree with the bold.

His mental game was the biggest deficiency I noticed about him last year, and even in passing watching him at NC State. From a skills standpoint, it is shooting. His conditioning may or may not have been questionable, as well, but he looks to be in better shape at the behest/recommendation of the coaching staff. But watching his play, and his decision making last year as a point guard, he seemed to make a lot of lazy decisions, or didn't seem to have the willpower/leadership to make the right plays given the context of the game. I don't recall him making a lot of bonehead decisions, but there is a certain underwhelming aspect of his decision making at times that is hard to explain, particularly when you know how explosive he is and how easily he could get to the rim. I belive 2010 cited this as his conditioning when we talked about it last year, and perhaps he will improve somewhat as a result of being in better shape, but I always thought he was missing the ideal balance of doggedness and on-court leadership/control, perhaps being deficient in both. He just seems to coast at times when the context of the game demands something different from a player of his ability.
User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 34,081
And1: 21,753
Joined: Jul 12, 2009
Location: Free Candy Van
 

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#757 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:11 pm

mrpoetryNmotion wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
I think so. They really should be the starting backcourt AFAIK tell from here.

RJ's shot will be fine. I'm fairly certain of that. He's driven and talented and will work it out. Multi-dimensional guys like him who come into the league needing to refine their jumper usually improve during their career.

I don't think DSJr is selfish. He can be faulted as high usage and that is a good way to deconstruct him and find his flaws, but the rebuilt shooting mechanics will probably amend a lot of those criticisms, because I see him as a willing dump passer and lobber and those two aspects of his game are going to another level because he's going to have a fair amount of open lane due to guys having to defend his three.

Smith may soon be close to the ideal modern PG provided he remains unselfish. But it is important to remember that while we are not currently configured to be a league leader in threes, we are set up to be close to # 1 in dunks and scores at the rim. We have multiple guys who can trail and back door successfully and if Smith is going to do what I think he will do then he does have an opportunity to be among the assist leaders due to those passes off his penetration.

If that all transpires, we also have an able backup PG in Payton so it will only take a couple of things to click for the Knicks to be much better than most expect.

I believe RJ is going to have a good season though. Without that I would be less optimistic. I'm not sure he'll be consistent in the first quarter of the season, but he'll find his groove.

That's the key here

There's a big gap between being a high usage, score first guy, and being a score only guy. Like I said, I can't prove this statistically (or if I can, I don't know how), but I'm pretty sure I saw DSJ multiple times a game passing the ball to set up a play, not just to get an assist.

That and the fact that he can actually finish around the rim is why despite having many similarities to Mudiay, I like him so much more. Which I can prove statistically. Fun fact, in 246 games Mudiay has dunked 43 times. DSJ had 31 just last year (only 53 games), and 40 his rookie year (69 games). Plus, DSJ shoots 60% for his career at the rim compared to 51% from Mudiay

Really, the only thing holding him back is his shooting so far. If his shot is legit, I don't think he has any really glaring flaws. But it may be rough next year, cause it's still a work in progress, and RJ's tbd, but likely not gonna be a good shooter right off the bat. One more year, maybe two, of jank and then we should be good to go.


I do not entirely agree with the bold.

His mental game was the biggest deficiency I noticed about him last year, and even in passing watching him at NC State. From a skills standpoint, it is shooting. His conditioning may or may not have been questionable, as well, but he looks to be in better shape at the behest/recommendation of the coaching staff. But watching his play, and his decision making last year as a point guard, he seemed to make a lot of lazy decisions, or didn't seem to have the willpower/leadership to make the right plays given the context of the game. I don't recall him making a lot of bonehead decisions, but there is a certain underwhelming aspect of his decision making at times that is hard to explain, particularly when you know how explosive he is and how easily he could get to the rim. I belive 2010 cited this as his conditioning when we talked about it last year, and perhaps he will improve somewhat as a result of being in better shape, but I always thought he was missing the ideal balance of doggedness and on-court leadership/control, perhaps being deficient in both. He just seems to coast at times when the context of the game demands something different from a player of his ability.


The ability to get to the rim can make a player settle into bad habits.

But due to the obvious effort and commitment he has shown to upgrading his skills this Summer, I believe he is displaying the tenacity that can also translate into better decision making skills.

Randle may be a good comp regarding this kind of leveling up. Randle has progressively increased his abilities while becoming more committed to conditioning and strength training and it has paid off.

We'll see if Smith's decision making improves with the greater conditioning and improved shooting abilities. I think the upgrades will spill over into his playmaking even if only because a three point shot will greatly open up the floor for him and also increase his passing options on drives as there will be more collapsing defenses after he beats his man.
User avatar
BKlutch
General Manager
Posts: 9,562
And1: 5,761
Joined: Jan 11, 2015
Location: Jamaica, NY
     

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#758 » by BKlutch » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:12 am

We have a bunch of youngsters who all can and should get better. On paper it looks great. What DSJ can become will depend on his physical conditioning, of course, and also on what's inside his head. This year we will look to Fiz to see if he can coach games and if he can develop the good youngsters. No more tanking as an excuse.
.
.
----------------------
Killa Knickzzz Kidz
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 54,018
And1: 22,384
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#759 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:19 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
mrpoetryNmotion wrote:
K-DOT wrote:That's the key here

There's a big gap between being a high usage, score first guy, and being a score only guy. Like I said, I can't prove this statistically (or if I can, I don't know how), but I'm pretty sure I saw DSJ multiple times a game passing the ball to set up a play, not just to get an assist.

That and the fact that he can actually finish around the rim is why despite having many similarities to Mudiay, I like him so much more. Which I can prove statistically. Fun fact, in 246 games Mudiay has dunked 43 times. DSJ had 31 just last year (only 53 games), and 40 his rookie year (69 games). Plus, DSJ shoots 60% for his career at the rim compared to 51% from Mudiay

Really, the only thing holding him back is his shooting so far. If his shot is legit, I don't think he has any really glaring flaws. But it may be rough next year, cause it's still a work in progress, and RJ's tbd, but likely not gonna be a good shooter right off the bat. One more year, maybe two, of jank and then we should be good to go.


I do not entirely agree with the bold.

His mental game was the biggest deficiency I noticed about him last year, and even in passing watching him at NC State. From a skills standpoint, it is shooting. His conditioning may or may not have been questionable, as well, but he looks to be in better shape at the behest/recommendation of the coaching staff. But watching his play, and his decision making last year as a point guard, he seemed to make a lot of lazy decisions, or didn't seem to have the willpower/leadership to make the right plays given the context of the game. I don't recall him making a lot of bonehead decisions, but there is a certain underwhelming aspect of his decision making at times that is hard to explain, particularly when you know how explosive he is and how easily he could get to the rim. I belive 2010 cited this as his conditioning when we talked about it last year, and perhaps he will improve somewhat as a result of being in better shape, but I always thought he was missing the ideal balance of doggedness and on-court leadership/control, perhaps being deficient in both. He just seems to coast at times when the context of the game demands something different from a player of his ability.


The ability to get to the rim can make a player settle into bad habits.

But due to the obvious effort and commitment he has shown to upgrading his skills this Summer, I believe he is displaying the tenacity that can also translate into better decision making skills.

Randle may be a good comp regarding this kind of leveling up. Randle has progressively increased his abilities while becoming more committed to conditioning and strength training and it has paid off.

We'll see if Smith's decision making improves with the greater conditioning and improved shooting abilities. I think the upgrades will spill over into his playmaking even if only because a three point shot will greatly open up the floor for him and also increase his passing options on drives as there will be more collapsing defenses after he beats his man.


This is a make or break year for Smith (and Frank and maybe others) so I'm not surprised if he's working hard. I'll just assume that he has. But we won't know what kind of improvement, if any, he'll make. Moreover, I, like Mr.PIM, question his decision making ability. If he had any talent in that regard, he might still be with Dallas.

And, honestly, I really don't see much improvement in his shot at all.
Image
User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 34,081
And1: 21,753
Joined: Jul 12, 2009
Location: Free Candy Van
 

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#760 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:47 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
mrpoetryNmotion wrote:
I do not entirely agree with the bold.

His mental game was the biggest deficiency I noticed about him last year, and even in passing watching him at NC State. From a skills standpoint, it is shooting. His conditioning may or may not have been questionable, as well, but he looks to be in better shape at the behest/recommendation of the coaching staff. But watching his play, and his decision making last year as a point guard, he seemed to make a lot of lazy decisions, or didn't seem to have the willpower/leadership to make the right plays given the context of the game. I don't recall him making a lot of bonehead decisions, but there is a certain underwhelming aspect of his decision making at times that is hard to explain, particularly when you know how explosive he is and how easily he could get to the rim. I belive 2010 cited this as his conditioning when we talked about it last year, and perhaps he will improve somewhat as a result of being in better shape, but I always thought he was missing the ideal balance of doggedness and on-court leadership/control, perhaps being deficient in both. He just seems to coast at times when the context of the game demands something different from a player of his ability.


The ability to get to the rim can make a player settle into bad habits.

But due to the obvious effort and commitment he has shown to upgrading his skills this Summer, I believe he is displaying the tenacity that can also translate into better decision making skills.

Randle may be a good comp regarding this kind of leveling up. Randle has progressively increased his abilities while becoming more committed to conditioning and strength training and it has paid off.

We'll see if Smith's decision making improves with the greater conditioning and improved shooting abilities. I think the upgrades will spill over into his playmaking even if only because a three point shot will greatly open up the floor for him and also increase his passing options on drives as there will be more collapsing defenses after he beats his man.


This is a make or break year for Smith (and Frank and maybe others) so I'm not surprised if he's working hard. I'll just assume that he has. But we won't know what kind of improvement, if any, he'll make. Moreover, I, like Mr.PIM, question his decision making ability. If he had any talent in that regard, he might still be with Dallas.

And, honestly, I really don't see much improvement in his shot at all.


Oh goodness, you and your shooting mechanics troll alter ego really need to get a room

Return to New York Knicks