ImageImageImageImage

Official UCF Sports Thread - Basketball: NIT Bid? Football: Spring Practice Underway

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,906

Re: UCF Football: vs FAMU (8/29) 

Post#721 » by drsd » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:12 am

UCF wrote:Looking good for Tacko.

You can't teach height !

Fall is acting/behaving like he is taking basketball seriously, and I am sure that's what the Celts concluded. That was always the "mystery" with him. Does he want this? It looks like "YES" is the answer.

He is eating 6000-7000 salaries a day and in the weight room. But he really, really needs more leg strength. Given that he will be a dunker-only, he needs more explosiveness in his leaping.

His timing on alley-top dunks is terrible (he dunks on the way down, not on the apex). That is something he can be taught / work on.

Frankly his game looks like mine when I play on a 7 foot rim. There must be be something to work into/around on that reality!

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,310

Post#722 » by Knightro » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:46 am

I'm happy for Tacko. I didn't think he had a snowball's chance to even sniff an NBA roster, but he looked so much quicker and more explosive than he did in college.

Testament to the work he's put in already training for this.

I hope he gets guaranteed money.
drsd
RealGM

Post#723 » by drsd » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:58 am

Knightro wrote:I'm happy for Tacko. I didn't think he had a snowball's chance to even sniff an NBA roster, but he looked so much quicker and more explosive than he did in college.

Testament to the work he's put in already training for this.

I hope he gets guaranteed money.

His lateral quickness on defense has been an exiting thing. In time, with timing improvements, I think he might develop in to a player that can guard 4s and 5s on defense.

nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#724 » by nymets1 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:02 pm

I saw on twitter that 2 people donated $13 million to UCF athletics.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,416

Post#725 » by UCFJayBird » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:14 pm

nymets1 wrote:I saw on twitter that 2 people donated $13 million to UCF athletics.

Yup. Gary & Barbara Bryant donated $13m to UCF (total, not each) through an endowment for their estate. They also donated the same to Memphis.

It looks like he's an alum of Memphis but ran some insurance companies in Orlando. I believe the UCF contribution is earmarked for scholarships, not sure they can use it for anything besides that (so UCF basically just got $650k/year in perpetuity for athletic scholarships). Doesn't look like Memphis has that stipulation based on the press releases.

http://ucfknights.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=34100&ATCLID=211807675

https://gotigersgo.com/news/2019/7/24/general-memphis-athletics-receives-largest-commitment-in-history.aspx?fbclid=IwAR1oTObxnKWqj5f5HowJNgyWZ92Nd5QZoEnAWFO1QPw14jN9shjkoYokVuE
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#726 » by UCFJayBird » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:40 pm

I wouldn't normally post this, but is anyone interested in joining a fantasy football league? A spot opened up in a league I'm in and we're struggling to get it filled.

Buy-in is $100. It's a keeper league, so you're inheriting a team from last year. You get to pick 2 players to keep from the roster below. Note: you can only keep a player two seasons in a row, and Howard & Allen were kept last season so you would only be able to keep them this season (you'd have to pick two different players next offseason to keep). This ensures great players get traded or put back into the draft pool each year.

Draft is 9/1 at 6:30 EST.

nymets1
Head Coach

Post#727 » by nymets1 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:19 am

I have bought tickets for 3 football games(UCF vs Stanford, Gators vs Tennessee and Gators vs Auburn). Also considering USF vs Wisconsin and Jaguars vs Chiefs.

UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,073

Post#728 » by UCF » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:59 am

Season tickets officially sold out for the season.

Should make ticket resales a profitable thing this year.
nymets1
Head Coach

Post#729 » by nymets1 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:11 pm

UCF wrote:Season tickets officially sold out for the season.

I would never do season tickets because there's always opponents I have no interest in. For me to go to a sporting event I have to have interest in the other team. The only really good opponent on our schedule is Stanford. Houston and USF might be respectable but we don't play those 2 opponents til November so that gives me time to evaluate Houston and USF's season if I want to see us play them. I look at Florida A&M, Uconn and East Carolina LOL those opponents are trash for us.

I think we still make a New year's 6 bowl game even if we finished 9 and 3 or 10 and 2 in the regular season and win the conference championship game? Last year we were 12 and 0 in the regular season and IF we lost in the conference championship game to Memphis, I thought I heard Memphis would have got the New year's bowl game over UCF? So If I heard correct we ok as long as we go 9 and 3 or 10 and 2 as long as we qualify for the conference championship game and we take care of business in the conference championship game.

drsd
RealGM

Post#730 » by drsd » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:02 pm

nymets1 wrote:I look at Florida A&M, Uconn and East Carolina LOL those opponents are trash for us.

Florida A&M is the Home opener (and a warm up game) so is a cannot miss. East Carolina is Homecoming and for many will also be a cannot miss.

As for UConn

2018: 1-11
2017: 3-9
2016: 3-9
2015: 6-7
2014: 2-10
2013: 3-9
2012: 5-7
2011: 5-7
2010: 8-5 (Big East co-champion) lost in Fiesta Bowl to 12-2 Oklahoma

So: UConn sucks.

UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,073

Post#731 » by UCF » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:42 pm

I actually made double my money on selling the UConn tickets and covered my cost selling FAMU. Normally I would never sell but I live out of state now and can only make 2-3 games.

Ps. UConn sucks and I’m glad they’re paying to leave the conference. That’s the most they’ve ever contributed to this league.
nymets1
Head Coach

Post#732 » by nymets1 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:55 am

drsd wrote:
nymets1 wrote:I look at Florida A&M, Uconn and East Carolina LOL those opponents are trash for us.

Florida A&M is the Home opener (and a warm up game) so is a cannot miss. East Carolina is Homecoming and for many will also be a cannot miss.

As for UConn

2018: 1-11
2017: 3-9
2016: 3-9
2015: 6-7
2014: 2-10
2013: 3-9
2012: 5-7
2011: 5-7
2010: 8-5 (Big East co-champion) lost in Fiesta Bowl to 12-2 Oklahoma

So: UConn sucks.

Neither Florida A&M or East Carolina are any good, We going to blow out those 2 opponents.

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#733 » by craig01 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 am

East Carolina will be improved this year.

They have really good skill position players as always (the QB is going to give teams fits this year) and the coaching change should certainly improve the team. That ECU team laid down and basically quit last year on the staff.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#734 » by UCFJayBird » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:03 pm

nymets1 wrote:
UCF wrote:Season tickets officially sold out for the season.

I would never do season tickets because there's always opponents I have no interest in. For me to go to a sporting event I have to have interest in the other team. The only really good opponent on our schedule is Stanford. Houston and USF might be respectable but we don't play those 2 opponents til November so that gives me time to evaluate Houston and USF's season if I want to see us play them. I look at Florida A&M, Uconn and East Carolina LOL those opponents are trash for us.

I think we still make a New year's 6 bowl game even if we finished 9 and 3 or 10 and 2 in the regular season and win the conference championship game? Last year we were 12 and 0 in the regular season and IF we lost in the conference championship game to Memphis, I thought I heard Memphis would have got the New year's bowl game over UCF? So If I heard correct we ok as long as we go 9 and 3 or 10 and 2 as long as we qualify for the conference championship game and we take care of business in the conference championship game.

There's a decent chance you end up paying more for those two tickets than you would had you bought season tix, lol.

The only tix left for sale going forward will be those that the opponent returns to UCF, which will go quickly, and then secondary market tix.

I think Houston could wind up being our toughest game, even tougher than Stanford.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,310

Post#735 » by Knightro » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:34 pm

I can't in good conscience pick an undefeated season with the uncertainty at QB, but given how LOADED the Knights are at running back, wide receiver and offensive line on offense, I really don't think there's any way they win less than 10 games.

I'll officially predict a 10-2 regular season with a return trip to the AAC title game.

Win that and you're 11-2 and going to the Cotton Bowl almost certainly.
drsd
RealGM

Post#736 » by drsd » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:36 pm

nymets1 wrote:Neither Florida A&M or East Carolina are any good, We going to blow out those 2 opponents.

Sure. But the interest in these games is that i) FA&M is the warm-up Home opener and ii) East Carolina is a (must win) Homecoming game.

You want those two games to be cake-walks, as a W is needed in both scenarios.

nymets1
Head Coach

Post#737 » by nymets1 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:56 pm

We seem fine at every position except QB. QB is the only position without Mckenzie Milton than there's uncertainty or questions about who our starter QB is and how good he is. East Carolina may improve but they don't have talent up and down their roster like we do.

Why is College Gameday hosting their show on Disney's Magic Kingdom on August 24th Saturday? Is there like no room for them outside Camping World Stadium or somewhere less than a mile outside from the Camping World Stadium? Magic Kingdom is a poor selection if people want to go just to see College Gameday. You might as well spend all day there to go on rides and stuff and not just for College Gameday. They are hosting at Main Street USA on the train station so I don't think any of the fans are going to get close anywhere near the set. Can't bring in any signs because the park don't allow it.

drsd
RealGM

Post#738 » by drsd » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:15 pm

Tacko Fall Signs a Taco

UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#739 » by UCFJayBird » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:33 pm

nymets1 wrote:We seem fine at every position except QB. QB is the only position without Mckenzie Milton than there's uncertainty or questions about who our starter QB is and how good he is. East Carolina may improve but they don't have talent up and down their roster like we do.

Why is College Gameday hosting their show on Disney's Magic Kingdom on August 24th Saturday? Is there like no room for them outside Camping World Stadium or somewhere less than a mile outside from the Camping World Stadium? Magic Kingdom is a poor selection if people want to go just to see College Gameday. You might as well spend all day there to go on rides and stuff and not just for College Gameday. They are hosting at Main Street USA on the train station so I don't think any of the fans are going to get close anywhere near the set. Can't bring in any signs because the park don't allow it.

it's to celebrate the opening of the new Star Wars land. ESPN being owned by Disney means ESPN being told "You're doing Game Day here." haha.

It's great for UCF because our fans will go fill up the screen with UCF flags and signs. But I doubt we get much mention in the actual program itself.

edit: good point about the signs and stuff. Guess UCF fans will just have to be decked out in Black and Gold.
nymets1
Head Coach

Post#740 » by nymets1 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:09 am

I wonder if they have a TV outside Camping World Stadium to hangout and watch the Gators vs Hurricanes game. The prices of the tickets are too much and hopefully they drop their prices closer to gametime.

Return to Orlando Magic