ImageImageImage

Pistons sign Super Cool Beas

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,254

Re: Pistons sign Super Cool Beas 

Post#41 » by GreekAlex » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:46 am

Kilo wrote:More I think about this, the more I think there is another move happening soon. You don't claim Christian Wood and then already basically look to potentially replace him sight unseen. I think we need to bring in a true center type. Maybe there is a 2-for-1 trade where we trade Maker and Galloway for a $11M center. Or Maker and Thomas for a $5M center.

Maker is crud, and he asked out of Milwaukee for playing time - now he's not going to get it here on a worse team playing behind Griff, Kieff competing potentially with Wood, Beasley and Doumbouya.

I hope you’re right. It’s not like Beasley wasn’t available when they claimed Wood.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,721

Post#42 » by zeebneeb » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:18 am

DCintheD wrote:I think we’re trading for Chris Paul on 8/21 when Snell can be traded with other players. Trading for CP is a trademark win-now Gores move.
I wouldn't be able to stop laughing if the Pistons trade for Paul.

Even if, somehow, Paul comes in and is amazing, and leads the team to 60 wins, how long does it last? Just next year? Paul's best days are long gone.

I guess if your gonna give it one more try, why not. Team has been poorly managed for years now, what's one or two more?

Oh well. I've kind of stopped caring anyway. This team isnt going anywhere next year with it's current roster so in the end it doesnt really matter I guess.
kpt
Senior
And1: 209

Post#43 » by kpt » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:24 am

This screams to me that we are going to see a two for one trade. My hope a three for two w Dre heading out. Dream dream dream
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,104

Post#44 » by Kilo » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:12 am

DCintheD wrote:I think we’re trading for Chris Paul on 8/21 when Snell can be traded with other players. Trading for CP is a trademark win-now Gores move.

Jackson, Snell, Galloway for Paul puts us into the tax by $1.5M but if we sent out Thon and took back Noel or Muscala the total difference would be -$200K more for us under the tax.

Beas could replace the size of Snell at the three, but he doesn't play defense all that well. We'd probably start Brown or Kennard at the three, with Paul and Rose in the back court.

Paul
Rose
Kennard/Brown
Griffin
Drummond
6-Brown/Kennard
7-Morris
8-Beasley
9-Frazier
10-Noel
Thomas, Doumbouya, Mykhailiuk, Wood

I'd want at least a FRP and a couple seconds to take on Paul's deal. And only if Griffin signed off bringing him in here.

Horrid defense, and doesn't move the needle really at all. First round exit ceiling.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,773

Post#45 » by Snakebites » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:19 am

Being in the NBA really means a lot to these guys.

He turned down 2.5 mill guaranteed to sign a non-guaranteed deal with us.
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#46 » by The_Irony » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:23 am

Snakebites wrote:Being in the NBA really means a lot to these guys.

think he's already played in China twice. sometimes it's not about the money
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#47 » by DBC10 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:36 am

Snakebites wrote:Being in the NBA really means a lot to these guys.

Probably since it's that much harder to get back in once you're out out. That and living in the states while still being a millionaire has to be better than living elsewhere.

I like that quote about some Lakers executive saying that he was so astounded that their team signed all the headcases (Rondo, Beas, Javale, Stephenson) with no real shooting last year. So this doesn't really excite me much. Real fun is to see who gets traded or let go.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#48 » by Manocad » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:07 pm

I’ll take that bet.

Aside from signing Blake, what other ‘win now’ moves has Gores made that they are now “trademarked”?
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#49 » by Moses ShamMoses » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:17 pm

lol we're not trading for Chris Paul...if we do it'll be because we are getting 2-3 future draft picks to rebuild with.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Post#50 » by vege » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:19 pm

Manocad wrote:

I’ll take that bet.

Aside from signing Blake, what other ‘win now’ moves has Gores made that they are now “trademarked”?

Taking on Tony Snell and his awful contract to fill a position of need with a way below average player on a huge contract because we had no other way to add a SF.

We are not trading for Chris Paul tho.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#51 » by Moses ShamMoses » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:18 pm

I see the Tony Snell trade as trading a useless player in Leuer making $10M for a useful player making $12M. Yes we take on the extra year but we rid ourselves of Jon Leuer and his waste of a roster spot.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 332

Post#52 » by Drwho17 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:51 pm

Snakebites wrote:I'm not sure what his role is on this team, seems like Kieff fills the role he would.

We'll see I suppose.

It is funny remembering the discussion surrounding the 2008 draft on these boards back in the day. Rose was the generally thought upon number one pick but there were definitely those who supported Beasley. Never thought we'd see them both on the Pistons at the same time.

Beasley can play SF.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#53 » by Billl » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:11 pm

Ugh - was hoping this was a joke. Beas definitely isn't the kind of vet we need to teach the young guys to be true pros. He's undoubtedly talented, but he's massively underachieved his whole carrier. I really thought we were done with the whole "this guy can score but doesn't play any defense" players when SVG left.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#54 » by Invictus88 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:31 pm

Agree with other folks around here: I don't see the Beasley signing as anything more than trying to shore up further a position of need.

Both Beasley and Morris had bad years last year, so there's no guarantee that either one will pan out here. If you can sign Beasley to a low risk contract (which is exactly what a non-guaranteed contract is) then I see no reason not to do it; regardless of whether anything is to follow.

If either Morris or Christian Wood work out then maybe you just let Beas go? (I'm not sure when any money becomes guaranteed if ever / if there is a deadline for that sort of thing)
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#55 » by chrbal » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:39 am

This is really nothing more than Christian Wood vs Beasley. Both have unguaranteed deals. I just don’t see us going after Chris Paul unless he gets bought out
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,686

Post#56 » by Cowology » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:20 am

Low risk, low reward. Having depth and another guy who can shoot is not a bad thing.
the_l_train
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Post#57 » by the_l_train » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:42 am

chrbal wrote:This is really nothing more than Christian Wood vs Beasley. Both have unguaranteed deals. I just don’t see us going after Chris Paul unless he gets bought out

Really hoping something is in the works with Galloway. If our biggest weaknesses are SF and backup C, we need both Wood and Beas.

The only way we get Chris Paul is if Blake Griffin begs Gores to bring in Chris Paul.

I wonder what we could get in a 2-for-1 deal with Galloway and Khyrie...
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Post#58 » by Warspite » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:40 am

Han Solo wrote:This is a great signing. How can you not like this. The dude likes weed. So does 80% of the country. Beasley can score. Better than signing some Bum that sucks.

Further explains the 80-20 rule. 20% of the people do 80% of the work and 80% do 20% of the work.
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#59 » by thesack12 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:03 pm

With a quick scan around the league, I don't really see a clear avenue to 2 for 1 Galloway/Maker while allowing Detroit to get under the tax & Keep Beasley in the process.

If they keep Beasley, I think the likely course of action will be Detroit trades either Svi or Thomas to a team who doesn't have a lot of youth and has limited draft resources while currently simply cheap bodies can be of use. All of Houston, LAC, LAL immediately come to mind. Detroit gets a heavily protected future 2nd, while the other team absorbs Svi or Thomas into one of their TPE's. Of course this would need to happen prior to the season starting to get down to the roster limit of 15.

A move like that would get Detroit within a couple hundred thousand of getting below the tax. At some point later on, it wouldn't be hard to shed that little amount and get under the tax, by buying someone out or making a small cost cutting trade.

There's also the chance they just waive Svi. His contract is unguaranteed, so it accomplishes the same goal of getting down to the roster limit and making it easier to get under the tax at a later date.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,465

Post#60 » by Canadafan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:38 pm

Maybe LG and Kyrie for Jae Crowder? CJ Miles?
LG and Maker for Andre Roberson? Meyers Leonard?

Return to Detroit Pistons