ImageImageImageImage

Magic Sign DaQuan Jeffries and Vic Law To Exhibit 10's, Re-Sign Jefferson to Two-Way

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,625

Magic Sign DaQuan Jeffries and Vic Law To Exhibit 10's, Re-Sign Jefferson to Two-Way 

Post#1 » by Howard Mass » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:20 pm

The Magic have signed DaQuan Jeffries and Vic Law to Exhibit 10's deals and re-signed Amile Jefferson to a Two-Way Deal.

Read on Twitter

Last item on the docket is the status of Chuma Okeke's deal.

If Jeffries has a good camp, The Magic could easily move Melvin Frazier Jr. with cash to free up a roster so they have wiggle room luxury tax wise pending what happens with Okeke.

I think many would prefer to have Jeffries on the roster as if he goes to Lakeland, any team could sign him at any time.

I guess we have something to think about the next 2-2 1/2 months.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Re: Magic Sign DaQuan Jeffries and Vic Law To Exhibit 10's, Re-Sign Jefferson to Two-Way 

Post#2 » by ezzzp » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:29 am

Incumbent Starters:
1 D.J. Augustin
2 Evan Fournier
3 Aaron Gordon
4 Jonathan Isaac
5 Nikola Vucevic

Rotation:
6 Michael Carter-Williams
7 Terrence Ross
8 Al-Farouq Aminu
9 Khem Birch

Potential Rotation:
10 Wesley Iwundu
11 Markelle Fultz
12 Mo Bamba

Injured / Inactive :
13 Melvin Frazier (IL)
14 Chuma Okeke (IL) unsigned

---

Training Camp Invites:
16 Josh Magette (2 Way / G-League)
17 DaQuan Jeffries (Exhibit 10)
18 Vic Law (Exhibit 10)
19 Amile Jefferson (2 Way / G-League)
20 Isaac Humphries (Exhibit 10)

*An Exhibit 10 contract permits the Magic to give a player a $50,000 bonus if that player doesn't make the roster but then immediately signs with Lakeland (G-League).
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Re: Magic Sign DaQuan Jeffries and Vic Law To Exhibit 10's, Re-Sign Jefferson to Two-Way 

Post#3 » by drsd » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:21 am

ezzzp wrote:*An Exhibit 10 contract permits the Magic to give a player a $50,000 bonus if that player doesn't make the roster but then immediately signs with Lakeland (G-League).

More specifically he would have to sign with Lakeland and remain at least 60 days to get this 50k. Otherwise it reverts to 5k.

Still: a G-leaguer makes 7K a month over the 5-month season, and added to the 50K above that is 85K for 5-months work (G-leaguers are not on annual salaries, and are thus free the rest of the year to have other "work").
I guess most of us here don't make that kind of coin!

drsd
RealGM

Post#4 » by drsd » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:27 am

Howard Mass wrote:Last item on the docket is the status of Chuma Okeke's deal.

If Jeffries has a good camp, The Magic could easily move Melvin Frazier Jr. with cash to free up a roster so they have wiggle room luxury tax wise pending what happens with Okeke.

For me these are linked issues. But you do bring out an interesting point in a Jeffries vs. Frazier comparison. If Orlando believes Jeffries has more upside than Frazier, then trading Frazier and cash for a protected second rounder frees up the salary needed to sign Jeffries outright to a rookie deal.

drsd
RealGM

Post#5 » by drsd » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:29 am

For balance, her is a story on Vic Law:
NBA.com link: Vic Law's Strengths

The No. 1 thing that stands out about Vic Law, a 6-foot-7, 200-pound swingman, is the energy he plays with on both ends of the floor and in transition. Often, you will find him zipping around screens, crashing the glass, sprinting back on defense, cutting backdoor, etc. Relentless is a good way to describe Law, which is why in nearly every game he dipped his hand in every statistical category.
BlueBalls
Sixth Man
And1: 669

Post#6 » by BlueBalls » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:11 pm

VIC LAW IN THIS BISH!!!
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.
ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#7 » by ezzzp » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:10 pm

drsd wrote:
ezzzp wrote:*An Exhibit 10 contract permits the Magic to give a player a $50,000 bonus if that player doesn't make the roster but then immediately signs with Lakeland (G-League).

More specifically he would have to sign with Lakeland and remain at least 60 days to get this 50k. Otherwise it reverts to 5k.

Still: a G-leaguer makes 7K a month over the 5-month season, and added to the 50K above that is 85K for 5-months work (G-leaguers are not on annual salaries, and are thus free the rest of the year to have other "work").
I guess most of us here don't make that kind of coin!

https://gleague.nba.com/faq/

NBA G League players sign standard one-year contracts with the league not individual teams, according to three different salary scales. (This excludes players on assignment from the NBA, who remain under NBA contract.)

NBA teams can designate up to four players that they cut during training camp as “affiliate players,” meaning those players will join that team’s NBA G League affiliate (should the players choose to sign into the NBA G League). These players are signed under contract with the league rather than the team, however, meaning they are technically free agents who can be called up to any of the 30 NBA teams.

So if they get called up by another team prior to 60 days with Lakeland, they either lose the 50k bonus or get some pro-rated amount.
drsd
RealGM

Post#8 » by drsd » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:39 pm

ezzzp wrote:
NBA G League players sign standard one-year contracts with the league not individual teams, according to three different salary scales. (This excludes players on assignment from the NBA, who remain under NBA contract.)

NBA teams can designate up to four players that they cut during training camp as “affiliate players,” meaning those players will join that team’s NBA G League affiliate (should the players choose to sign into the NBA G League). These players are signed under contract with the league rather than the team, however, meaning they are technically free agents who can be called up to any of the 30 NBA teams.

So if they get called up by another team prior to 60 days with Lakeland, they either lose the 50k bonus or get some pro-rated amount.

If a player before the ASW signed with a team, it would be pro-rated for the rest of the season, meaning a more than 500k windfall; and more likely, a 1M+ windfall. But yes as I read it, the 50k bonus would be lost under that scenario.
ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#9 » by ezzzp » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:10 pm

drsd wrote:
ezzzp wrote:

If a player before the ASW signed with a team, it would be pro-rated for the rest of the season, meaning a more than 500k windfall; and more likely, a 1M+ windfall. But yes as I read it, the 50k bonus would be lost under that scenario.

If the Magic really like him, I think they'll have to give him that final roster spot or its very possible that another team poaches him.

That equals luxury tax:

With Okeke signed, the Magic's Luxury Tax Room is $822,442...Jeffries' Rookie Scale Minimum contract would be $898,310. So that would put the Magic into the Luxury Tax by $75,868 if they sign Jeffries.

BUT

If they stretch waive Melvin Frazier, that would drop them to $1,955,923 below the Luxury Tax line. That's enough for a Vet Minimum contract ($1,620,564) or two Rookie Scale minimum contracts ($1,796,620). With Okeke signed, waiving Fraizer would mean the Magic have two open roster spots available.
drsd
RealGM

Post#10 » by drsd » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:35 pm

ezzzp wrote:BUT

If they stretch waive Melvin Frazier ....

I might be wrong, but I think a team only gets one of these a year.

Anyhow, as on a another thread, the idea of trading Frazier and cash for a protected second round pick achieves the same thing.

ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#11 » by ezzzp » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:38 pm

drsd wrote:

Anyhow, as on a another thread, the idea of trading Frazier and cash for a protected second round pick achieves the same thing.

As far as I know a team can use it as many times as they want to, but they can't use it if their obligation to waived players totals 15% of the NBA’s salary cap. Right now the Magic are using less than 5% of the cap on waived players (Mozgov/CJ).

You're right, I totally forgot about the Frazier trade option:

If the Magic salary dump Melvin Frazier, that would drop them to $2,239,294 below the Luxury Tax line. That's enough for one Vet Minimum contract OR two Rookie Scale minimum contracts.

If they can also get Okeke to sign for 109% first year salary instead of usual 110% (make up the difference in years 2-4), that would give the Magic enough Luxury Tax room to sign one Rookie Scale Minimum contract (Jeffries) + one Vet Minimum contract.

Some older vet free agents still on the market that might add some deep bench scoring/shooting: Vince Carter, Jamal Crawford, Thabo Sefalosha....also available, but we're probably better off going with PG's we have: Jeremy Lin, Shaun Livingston
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#12 » by MoMM » Thu Aug 1, 2019 12:57 am

drsd wrote:

And to think we could have Kurucs or Mitchell Robinson instead... :noway:
drsd
RealGM

Post#13 » by drsd » Thu Aug 1, 2019 2:13 pm

Speculation on why Law was signed:
Orlando is working to finalize its camp roster before September. Especially with four key players spending early September in China with the FIBA World Cup, the team could use some extra bodies for pre-camp pick-up runs and workouts. Each NBA team can carry up to 20 players for training camp.

That is likely where a player like Law, who averaged 5.7 points per game and shot 47 percent in three games. He is a solid shooter and a good defender when he is healthy.

So he is a living tackle dummy. Not a bad way to make 50k !

drsd
RealGM

Post#14 » by drsd » Thu Aug 1, 2019 2:14 pm

Has Isaac Humphries signed yet?
ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#15 » by ezzzp » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:43 pm

DaQuan Jeffries is part of this LA select team scrimmaging vs USA FIBA squad.

Read on Twitter
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,153

Post#16 » by Knightro » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:33 am

Read on Twitter
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#17 » by MoMM » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:44 pm

ezzzp wrote:DaQuan Jeffries is part of this LA select team scrimmaging vs USA FIBA squad.

Read on Twitter

And the youngest one.

Return to Orlando Magic