ImageImageImage

Danny Ainge is an incredible GM

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Re: Danny Ainge is an incredible GM 

Post#81 » by Darth Celtic » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:05 pm

Parliament10 wrote:Danny Ainge has maintained his composure through all the Free Agency/Early Off-season actions.
He seems to have done well, thus far.

I think though, that we need a Starting PF. And that ain't Tatum.

One month later and watching him with FIBA team. Do you still feel Tatum can't play 4?

I was worried he needed to get stronger, but I'm not as worried watching now.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,906

Post#82 » by Parliament10 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:35 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:Danny Ainge has maintained his composure through all the Free Agency/Early Off-season actions.
He seems to have done well, thus far.

I think though, that we need a Starting PF. And that ain't Tatum.

One month later and watching him with FIBA team. Do you still feel Tatum can't play 4?

I was worried he needed to get stronger, but I'm not as worried watching now.

Tatum looks good out there. And, he does seem to be somewhat stronger.
We'll see how he does, in the NBA season. Looks promising, though.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#83 » by ddb » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:23 am

Did Danny just DL leak Browns comment about 18-19 team and 86 team to feed media to start separating Brown from the fray, in turn leading to justification of a potential August Brown trade???

Asking for a friend

And I'll admit that I definitely think Jaylens days in Boston are numbered. They dont want to pay him the max or close to it no matter what he does this season. He's not that type of player.

Jaylen will be traded this month or at the deadline. UNLESS he signs a team friendly deal, which he wont do

Tatum next summer gets his full max. Hayward is on a max. Kemba is on a max. Smart is under contract. So on and so forth. Ainge isn't giving Jaylen a max or close to it. He will position this however long it takes between now and the deadline to make a great deal.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Jakeopp
General Manager
And1: 9,976

Post#84 » by Jakeopp » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:56 am

ddb wrote:Did Danny just DL leak Browns comment about 18-19 team and 86 team to feed media to start separating Brown from the fray, in turn leading to justification of a potential August Brown trade???

Asking for a friend

Seems like a pretty dumb thing for him to do either way. I doubt Jaylen is very happy about his GM making him look stupid. At a minimum he shouldn't have attached a name to the story...

The fans are ready to move on, the players are ready to move on, Danny needs to move on too.

Likely nothing...but he did tweet this earlier today

Read on Twitter
klemen4
Head Coach
And1: 1,927

Post#85 » by klemen4 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:02 am

What did Danny say?
“The only important statistic is the final score.” — Bill Russell
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#86 » by Roddy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:35 am

klemen4 wrote:What did Danny say?

Ainge made an appearance on the Michael Holley Podcast with Wyc Grousbeck and Steve Pagliuca this past week and reflected a bit on when he believed trouble was brewing last year. One sign? An early conversation with Jaylen Brown in the lunch room.

“He came and sat behind me, and he said, ‘Do you think we’re as good as the 1986 Celtics team?’ ” Ainge told Holley. “And I went, ‘Oh my gosh. He’s so young.’ I mean, I just don’t think they could even grasp that 1985 loss to the Lakers and the torture of that series and what that led (to), and Larry Bird was in his prime, one of the greatest Celtics of all time. But it was just fascinating. (Brown) was looking at it like matchup to matchup to matchup, like you’re doing a video game. That was a real awakening to me — just the perspective of guys.”

The Celtics went on to a disappointing 49-win season and ugly second-round exit against the Bucks.

“Certain guys thought they were going to be All-Stars this year,” Ainge said. “And they work hard all summer to reach these individual goals, but we just had too much individual goals. We didn’t have enough guys that winning was the most important thing. And when you have 21- and 22-year-old kids, that’s gonna happen.”
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#87 » by cloverleaf » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:25 am

Jakeopp wrote:
ddb wrote:Did Danny just DL leak Browns comment about 18-19 team and 86 team to feed media to start separating Brown from the fray, in turn leading to justification of a potential August Brown trade???

Asking for a friend

Seems like a pretty dumb thing for him to do either way. I doubt Jaylen is very happy about his GM making him look stupid. At a minimum he shouldn't have attached a name to the story...

The fans are ready to move on, the players are ready to move on, Danny needs to move on too.

Read on Twitter

Was it Wyc who jumped in, asking Danny to plump JB as soon as Danny said that?

Danny has long been appreciated by players because his honesty makes them trust him. But the current, lifelong catered to, multimillionaire bunch of Millennials might have got too precious for Danny to keep up with. JB's narcissism reportedly has been tough for some of his teammates to tolerate in the locker room, but probably is something the team should treat gingerly whether they are getting ready to trade him or not.

I wonder whether a healthier and trimmed-down Hayward is a good match in the backcourt with Kemba at this point anyway, however, so I am not so sure trading JB really solves the logjam--other than adding Smart back in with the starters again.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#88 » by cloverleaf » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:35 am

Fantaxp7 wrote:
Spin Move wrote:Ainge is a very good GM but he made a mistake not moving Rozier and maybe Morris last year to free up the load and keep peace in the locker room. There were too many mouths to feed and just 1 ball to many guys gunning for more money in free agency. We don't know what would have happend, Rozier was wanted by Phoenix for a 1st Morris would have been easy to flip.

Ainge had bad luck in Sacramentgo having a great season and our pick dropping, I like that he was able to get another pick next year and he smartly moved Baynes to Phoenix to free up the cap space needed to sign Kemba, however next season we will be minus Morris, Kyrie, Al, Terry and Baynes, while adding Kemba and a center to be named later. We have major frontcourt issue.

With that said, we still have the Memphis pick, all of our picks, the bucks picks and hope for a trade for whenever a good big wants to force his way out of where they are at if GH is back to 95% of his old self this season and the young Jays progress we are in good shape going forward. Ainge recovered well from some bad luck (Davis forcing his way to LA, Kyries hissy fits) but he made some mistakes along the way, still he is clearly a top 3 GM in the NBA and we are lucky to be in the spot we are.

Ainge was banking too hard on things falling into line. Really was the best scenario for us if our guys figured their crap out.

I feel like Rozier and Morris are those luxury bench players you have on good championship teams. Similar to Posey for us, he got that big contract the year after being great off the bench. He really went all in with them and if the team played as expected, they could/should have been huge off the bench for us.

I think Danny has been cautious of in-season trades since the Perk deal didn't really work out. But that year I think it was a matter of him giving Doc more new marginal players than Doc could integrate by the season's end. Otherwise I think his midyear dealings wouldn't have looked so bad, despite the key injury.

And I think Stevens himself has asked for minimal dosruption after his first, tanking year of wholesale change. But yeah, in hindsight that deal could have worked out better. Still, had Kemba not come to the rescue and Rozier not mouthed off, holding onto Terry could have been important for offering him the match by which they would have slid him in to replace Irving. (In that situation other teams likely wouldn't have offered Rosier as much and Danny could likely have brought him back at for a more reasonable price.
5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Post#89 » by 5InOfLouisville » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:41 am

Maybe DA was just discussing how lack of experience played a roll in not understanding what it takes to live up to expectations?

Why do we want to tear down every young man who questions things or doesn't "fall in line" with our own dimes tore expectations?? Some might argue that asking questions is an excellent indicator of someone who WANTS to learn and improve and be better.

Narcissism? Really?

IDK if JB deserves a max or not, but i still like his potential as a 22 year old with room to grow, and have seen nothing of him personality-wise that gives me pause.

There's a larger debate about our expectations of young athletes to "shut up and play" and "stay in their lanes".
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#90 » by Roddy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:53 am

Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,042

Post#91 » by Ben-N1ce » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:24 pm

Danny just stating the obvious if players can't deal with it oh well. There was alot of blatant me ball going on last year instead of we ball but when you are locking in 20+ mil to be ok players nowadays I see why players think that way.
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#92 » by Tiny ball » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:40 pm

5InOfLouisville wrote:Maybe DA was just discussing how lack of experience played a roll in not understanding what it takes to live up to expectations?

Why do we want to tear down every young man who questions things or doesn't "fall in line" with our own dimes tore expectations?? Some might argue that asking questions is an excellent indicator of someone who WANTS to learn and improve and be better.

Narcissism? Really?

IDK if JB deserves a max or not, but i still like his potential as a 22 year old with room to grow, and have seen nothing of him personality-wise that gives me pause.

There's a larger debate about our expectations of young athletes to "shut up and play" and "stay in their lanes".

The young players had exceeded expectations the year before with 60 million dollars not playing.
It would appear the young players were right and Danny was wrong. They were a better team without the 60 million dollar players.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#93 » by ddb » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:01 pm

as it relates to max dollars and which players actually earn it, JB is simply on the outside looking in. He is a fantastic young player with 2-way upside. Heck, He's already a good player. But he isn't a max guy. Sorry. So many players and teams are quick to give these 2nd and 3rd tier players huge amounts of money. Just look at Tobias Harris & Khris Middleton as two recent examples. Do you REALLY want to be the team that's paying one of those guys a long-term max deal? Harris & Middleton will be unmoveable in trades.
As a Celtics fan, I'm not interested in paying the Aaron Gordon's of the world Max dollars.

And I don't want to hear the "well Hayward is getting max dollars" argument. Every team in the league would have given him a max contract the summer he signed. he was coming off a West All-Star appearance and had strung together some really, really good seasons for the Jazz. He may still get back to being that player.

But Jaylen Brown? No thank you. if he is willing to take less then max then heck yeah I want him long-term. but he won't. he is a players union guy involved in the politics of the league. he is going for the max. and he's not worth it. we have Kemba on a max, Hayward on a max, Tatum will be on a max. CANNOT have another Max tied up in Jaylen. Need to consolidate and go after a player that's actually worth it.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#94 » by MagicBagley18 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:05 pm

ddb wrote:as it relates to max dollars and which players actually earn it, JB is simply on the outside looking in. He is a fantastic young player with 2-way upside. Heck, He's already a good player. But he isn't a max guy. Sorry. So many players and teams are quick to give these 2nd and 3rd tier players huge amounts of money. Just look at Tobias Harris & Khris Middleton as two recent examples. Do you REALLY want to be the team that's paying one of those guys a long-term max deal? Harris & Middleton will be unmoveable in trades.
As a Celtics fan, I'm not interested in paying the Aaron Gordon's of the world Max dollars.

And I don't want to hear the "well Hayward is getting max dollars" argument. Every team in the league would have given him a max contract the summer he signed. he was coming off a West All-Star appearance and had strung together some really, really good seasons for the Jazz. He may still get back to being that player.

But Jaylen Brown? No thank you. if he is willing to take less then max then heck yeah I want him long-term. but he won't. he is a players union guy involved in the politics of the league. he is going for the max. and he's not worth it. we have Kemba on a max, Hayward on a max, Tatum will be on a max. CANNOT have another Max tied up in Jaylen. Need to consolidate and go after a player that's actually worth it.

agreed.
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#95 » by MagicBagley18 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:09 pm

ddb wrote:as it relates to max dollars and which players actually earn it, JB is simply on the outside looking in. He is a fantastic young player with 2-way upside. Heck, He's already a good player. But he isn't a max guy. Sorry. So many players and teams are quick to give these 2nd and 3rd tier players huge amounts of money. Just look at Tobias Harris & Khris Middleton as two recent examples. Do you REALLY want to be the team that's paying one of those guys a long-term max deal? Harris & Middleton will be unmoveable in trades.

the thing with a brown deal though is the team trading him has to at least be comfortable giving him an extension....which may limit some teams in a deal although i think he will have a lot of interest
5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Post#96 » by 5InOfLouisville » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:31 pm

Doesn't it follow that, if teams are going to be interested in Jaylen Brown at a max contract, that it makes more sense for us to extend him?

he is a valuable young asset. if we extend him and it doesnt seem to fit, we trade him for assets.

I don't know if JB is worth the max, in a vacuum. But without another direct option...why not? Of course, if a great trade presents itself...everyone should be traded if the price is right.

I understand that his value could falter with a bad year, but based on what I saw last year, him hurting his value more seems unlikely. To me, anyway.
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:
Bluewhale
General Manager
And1: 283

Post#97 » by Bluewhale » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:57 pm

I totally agree Brown is not a MAX, for now.

My question is, what is the reasonable price for Brown's next contract?

At minimum, Brown will get a 25/25/25/25 contract pretty easy.

The Max contract is 29/31/33/36 million.

The difference between the two seems marginal, to be honest.

And what if Brown reaches Jimmy Butler level in 3 years?

But if we thought we have enough ball handler(Kemba+Tatum+Hayward), we should move to another direction, I am all right with it.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#98 » by Darth Celtic » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:11 pm

Bluewhale wrote:I totally agree Brown is not a MAX, for now.

My question is, what is the reasonable price for Brown's next contract?

At minimum, Brown will get a 25/25/25/25 contract pretty easy.

The Max contract is 29/31/33/36 million.

The difference between the two seems marginal, to be honest.

And what if Brown reaches Jimmy Butler level in 3 years?

But if we thought we have enough ball handler(Kemba+Tatum+Hayward), we should move to another direction, I am all right with it.

Gordon Hayward was looked on by the Jazz after his first contract as not max player, but close. They let him negotiate a deal with the Hornets I think that they matched that was also just below max. When he made it as a true star and max player and that contract was up, he left. If he's worth 25/25/25/25 then you just pay him 29/31/33/36. You can still trade him and he might remember that if he truly breaks out in 3 years.

Remember these kids don't really hit that Prime until 26. You usually know what you have then. JB will be like 23 when he can first be restricted free agent.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#99 » by MagicBagley18 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:34 pm

5InOfLouisville wrote:Doesn't it follow that, if teams are going to be interested in Jaylen Brown at a max contract, that it makes more sense for us to extend him?

he is a valuable young asset. if we extend him and it doesnt seem to fit, we trade him for assets.

I don't know if JB is worth the max, in a vacuum. But without another direct option...why not? Of course, if a great trade presents itself...everyone should be traded if the price is right.

I understand that his value could falter with a bad year, but based on what I saw last year, him hurting his value more seems unlikely. To me, anyway.

not every team has the same financial path that we do going forward and if the barometer for a trade is another team ''wants him'' its a terrible valuation of assets.
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#100 » by Tiny ball » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:52 pm

Jakeopp wrote:

Asking for a friend

Read on Twitter
I traveled all over Oregon back in like 75 76 like near whole coast lots inland checking out the center of the state and Danny was the most hated person in the state and it was not close. I went back there and lived for bit under a decade and nothing had changed. He was hated. Here again he shows no class.imho

Return to Boston Celtics