Sebastian Telfair has been sentenced to 3 and a half years in prison for gun possession

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,539

Re: Sebastian Telfair has been sentenced to 3 and a half years in prison for gun possession 

Post#241 » by Kalela » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:41 pm

karkinos wrote:
Kalela wrote:I hate that **** cops can use just about anything - in this case the smell of marijuana - to justify searching your vehicle without warrant and **** judges will back them up.

is this supposed to make telfair less guilty of the crime he committed?

people should understand the basic concept that repeated offenses against the law will make them more likely to get evaluated with scrutiny even for the most basic offenses such as not having your headlights on.
the fact that he has been caught with firearms in the past multiple times makes sense the police would want to investigate if he's dumb enough to do it again.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Telfair. I just don't like how cops can get away with a lot of **** that is illegal. They can make up excuses to search people's cars without a warrant and they will get support from **** judges.
Fire Mazzulla
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,907

Re: Sebastian Telfair has been sentenced to 3 and a half years in prison for gun possession 

Post#242 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:45 pm

tondi123 wrote:
karkinos wrote:
Antinomy wrote:
100%. The lawmakers & gun maniacs will always try to maintain plausible deniability.

1. my comment about him acting with a hood mentality is not me being opposed to conceal carry. tucking guns away in an ottoman and bringing extended mags into a strict gun state and saying "i didn't know those were there" is irresponsible and reeks of hoodlum behavior.

2. minorities do arm themselves. i'm not sure why people assume they don't. have you seen the watts riots?

Minorities commit an extremely disproportionate number of gun crimes in this country. The idea they are any less armed than whites is ridiculous. Maybe someone will ask just why that is, instead of trying to tale away guns from people who never misuse them under the guise of "public safety".

How many of those gun crimes are committed by minorities who obtain the guns through legal means?
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#243 » by karkinos » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:59 pm

Kalela wrote:
karkinos wrote:
Kalela wrote:I hate that **** cops can use just about anything - in this case the smell of marijuana - to justify searching your vehicle without warrant and **** judges will back them up.

is this supposed to make telfair less guilty of the crime he committed?

people should understand the basic concept that repeated offenses against the law will make them more likely to get evaluated with scrutiny even for the most basic offenses such as not having your headlights on.
the fact that he has been caught with firearms in the past multiple times makes sense the police would want to investigate if he's dumb enough to do it again.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Telfair. I just don't like how cops can get away with a lot of **** that is illegal. They can make up excuses to search people's cars without a warrant and they will get support from **** judges.
Ok....but this thread is about telfaire.
So do you agree or disagree with their discretion to search his car?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,399

Post#244 » by AbeVigodaLive » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:41 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:How about you read the last page and see what legislation is being pushed. I posted the quotes and articles. Much better method than feigning ignorance here. Guns already require background checks in most cases. Voluntary gun buyback is fine, but will do nothing based on the couple trials we have seen and common sense. Criminals, murderers, gang members aren't the ones turning in or selling guns to the government. This only disarms responsible people who foolishly think they will be safe, despite that they aren't the ones shooting up schools.

So again how about YOU propose which legislation or changes will work and WHY, and I'll go ahead and explain why someone much smarter than you or I has already tried it and failed.

Not all cases? Why not?

Is that a reasonable place to start?

Here is the problem. Most of these shootings ARE with purchased guns that had to include a background check and already are registered. So again, background checks won't solve anything. Right now we are 80% guns purchases that went through background checks. So it's not that I'm against background checks. If they want to add background checks to other store purchases+gun shows I'm okay with that. It's just the start of them encroaching more and more though when it has no effect on mass shootings is my point. Please take the time to read my post on the last page. These are REAL quotes from politicians right NOW, presidential candidates. They are NOT proposing logical and constitutional controls.

Again... "most."

I guess I don't see any problem with requiring all gun purchases to require a background check. Will it solve "all" the shooting problems? Of course not.

But it seems like a solid first step. Seems pretty reasonable, doesn't seem to infringe on gun owners. What am I missing? What are the current loopholes for the 20% that don't require background checks.
Promezclan
Starter
And1: 948

Post#245 » by Promezclan » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:01 pm

Meanwhile white guys are walking around with assault rifles...
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#246 » by MotownMadness » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:05 pm

Promezclan wrote:Meanwhile white guys are walking around with assault rifles...

F that, i wouldn't even look at a gun in NY with how petrified i am of their zero tolerance for slip ups and mandatory sentencing.

If by now people havent figured out NY doesnt play like that then they are on their own.
BallSacBounce
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,411

Post#248 » by BallSacBounce » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:12 am

Pointgod wrote:
BallSacBounce wrote:From the story.

Cops then found three loaded handguns, a submachine gun, ammunition, extended magazines and a ballistic vest during a search of his vehicle.

Yeah, I guaranteefreakingtee you they DID NOT FIND a SUBMACHINE gun. Such ignorant reporting by people, mainstream media who don't have a clue what a gun is. Most likely he had something that COULD Be but WASN'T one. In other words something like a semi-automatic UZI which is, wait for it....just another normal pistol. Nothing special about it. My God, the ignorance.

https://www.thoughtco.com/us-gun-control-timeline-3963620
In a reaction to emancipation, several southern states adopt "black codes" which, among other things, forbid black persons from possessing firearms.

THAT, is the origin of all the debate regarding private ownership of firearms. Before then only Georgia tried anything at all regrading personal firearms and the Supreme Court shot it down, pun intended.

After Emancipation there was a freaking racist panic about blacks owning guns.

Who ran the South at that time, DEMOCRATS. The North? Republicans. President Lincoln, Emancipation Proclamation, remember now? To this day DEMOCRATS are still trying to take the black man's gun rights away in every blue state they have power. Sure, they say they want to restrict all guns. But the only ones they are scared of...is yours. No power for you means all power for them.

This is such a laughably ignorant post devoid of any historical context or nuance.

This is such a laughably ignorant post devoid of any historical context or nuance.
BallSacBounce
Lead Assistant

Post#249 » by BallSacBounce » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:14 am

Bill Bradley wrote:
BallSacBounce wrote:
Bill Bradley wrote:
Except for the black guy in the video, right? I’m sure this is an exception.

Why don't you try looking up white people open carrying too.

They do it all the time to test LEO response. They quite often get calls from "concerned citizens" about the "potential bad guy" walking around with an open carry gun. Sometimes it's a friendly response respecting their right to do so, many times it's not.

But oh look, I found a black guy who had a problem, therefore it's ONLY black guys that have the problem. LMAO

Didn’t actually watch the video, huh?

Duh, obviously you didn't.
BallSacBounce
Lead Assistant

Post#250 » by BallSacBounce » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:03 am

MrDollarBills wrote:

Cops then found three loaded handguns, a submachine gun, ammunition, extended magazines and a ballistic vest during a search of his vehicle.

Yeah, I guaranteefreakingtee you they DID NOT FIND a SUBMACHINE gun. Such ignorant reporting by people, mainstream media who don't have a clue what a gun is. Most likely he had something that COULD Be but WASN'T one. In other words something like a semi-automatic UZI which is, wait for it....just another normal pistol. Nothing special about it. My God, the ignorance.

In a reaction to emancipation, several southern states adopt "black codes" which, among other things, forbid black persons from possessing firearms.

THAT, is the origin of all the debate regarding private ownership of firearms. Before then only Georgia tried anything at all regrading personal firearms and the Supreme Court shot it down, pun intended.

Who ran the South at that time, DEMOCRATS. The North? Republicans. President Lincoln, Emancipation Proclamation, remember now? To this day DEMOCRATS are still trying to take the black man's gun rights away in every blue state they have power. Sure, they say they want to restrict all guns. But the only ones they are scared of...is yours. No power for you means all power for them.

So, I suppose that you were one of the folks that fell asleep in school when your teacher in social studies class covered what happened after the passing of the civil rights act.

One of the biggest hallmarks of ignorance is spouting the very notion that the Democrat Party post 1964 is the same party as the Democrats of the late 1800s/early 20th century. You literally told on yourself with this post dude.

read a book.

OMG what an ignoramus, one of the biggest hallmarks of ignorance is spouting the very notion that the Democrat Party post 1964 is a different party as the Democrats of the late 1800s/early 20th century. You like, LITERALLY told on yourself with this post dude.

Read a book.

You must be one of those folks that fell asleep in school when your social studies teacher covered what happened after the passing of the civil rights act.
Hellcrooner
Veteran
And1: 2,134

Post#251 » by Hellcrooner » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:13 am

Wonder if there will come the day that no one outside of Policemen/women Army soldiers and profesional Hunters gets to carry weapons in the usa.

and of course by weapons for pólice i mean small pistols, rifles at most, hunters? you dont need a damm ak to hunt a deer!!!
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,907

Post#252 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:01 pm

BallSacBounce wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

So, I suppose that you were one of the folks that fell asleep in school when your teacher in social studies class covered what happened after the passing of the civil rights act.

One of the biggest hallmarks of ignorance is spouting the very notion that the Democrat Party post 1964 is the same party as the Democrats of the late 1800s/early 20th century. You literally told on yourself with this post dude.

read a book.

OMG what an ignoramus, one of the biggest hallmarks of ignorance is spouting the very notion that the Democrat Party post 1964 is a different party as the Democrats of the late 1800s/early 20th century. You like, LITERALLY told on yourself with this post dude.

Read a book.

You must be one of those folks that fell asleep in school when your social studies teacher covered what happened after the passing of the civil rights act.

did you even graduate high school? Like seriously, if you think the Democrats of today are the same as the Democrats from the late 1800s to 1964, you are beyond ignorant.

You ever heard of the term Dixiecrat? Google it.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe

Return to The General Board