ImageImageImageImageImage

Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,176

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#781 » by BBALLER4FR » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:10 am

MaseInYourFace wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:Image

Lol Peyton looks uncomfortable.

Hostage video!
Those last 70 seconds, Randle in a nut shell.

Awful 2 for 1 3PT attempt when we are up 2
Doesn’t close out on Sabonis --> open 3
Takes another side step off balance 3

We got sucked into the Randle vortex where all good feelings go to die.

Buttah304
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,890

Post#782 » by DaGawd » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:12 am

TheGreenArrow wrote:
DaGawd wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:Best comp is a more athletic cp3.

Hell nah. That's the GOAT og. Dennis doesn't pass the rock nearly as masterfully as CP3.. not a knock on Dennis.. CP is/was just that damn great at playing the pg position

I actuallly beleive dsjrs passing ability is severely underrated.

I think he can be just as good if not better a point god as cp3.

His ceiling is that high imo.

White I agree he gets slightly underrated passing wise... He definitely needs to clean up his decision making a ton to touch CP as a play maker. He gets caught in the air way too much with the ball with no where to go with it which often ends in a turnover
BaF
Washington Wizards
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,941

Post#783 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:45 am

Nazrmohamed wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:
Interesting yes but I do feel Arenas is slightly overlooked. Dude was a beast during his brief prime.

he put up the numbers. but, man was he ever the definition of empty calories.

People say that but let's face it. Those Wizards teams were never exactly the pinnacle of high level talent. Antoine Jamison sure hed talented but not in that winners way, Larry Hugh's was the teams second best player and Caron Butler. All guys I feel like you split up in the right situation and fans would say they were good players but not great players. Arenas was carrying that team and hitting a ton of clutch shots. I feel like the team was never a mature team at any point and hes not excluded. Definitely not a leader in any regard. That was really the issue but in terms of production and shots that counted, I'd stop short of saying they were empty.

it's not the box scores. it's the how. he was selfish and inefficient in every way. huge, useless numbers.

i am capable of recognizing a great player on a bad team. i don't see gilbert as such.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,486

Post#784 » by CharlesOakley » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:52 am

DaGawd wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
DaGawd wrote:Hell nah. That's the GOAT og. Dennis doesn't pass the rock nearly as masterfully as CP3.. not a knock on Dennis.. CP is/was just that damn great at playing the pg position

I actuallly beleive dsjrs passing ability is severely underrated.

I think he can be just as good if not better a point god as cp3.

His ceiling is that high imo.

White I agree he gets slightly underrated passing wise... He definitely needs to clean up his decision making a ton to touch CP as a play maker. He gets caught in the air way too much with the ball with no where to go with it which often ends in a turnover

Dennis Smith Jr. can't pass as well as Steve Francis (ok). I hope he develops into the passer Stephon Marbury was (good). He won't ever come close to CP3 as a passer (great).
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,223

Post#785 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:57 am

Not even close. Try again
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#786 » by Sark » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:27 am

Read on Twitter

Comp is JR Smith
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 33,209

Post#787 » by TheGreenArrow » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:40 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:

Not even close. Try again

Id know man i truly beleive he can be as dominant if not more than cp3 was in that midrange area.

Read on Twitter

The skys the limit for this kid.
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,249

Post#788 » by DOT » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:47 pm

CP3 for his career shoots 48% from mid (10-16 feet), and hasn't shot below 45% since his 2nd year (where he shot 42%), with pretty similar numbers from 16 to 3 point

DSJ is a career 27% shooter from that same range, with his rookie year being 22% and last year being 36%, and from 16 feet out averaged 34% over 2 years

I like the kid, but he's no CP3. And his passing, while underrated, is nowhere near CP3.

Baron Davis is a good comp. Maybe pre-2016 Lillard
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,512

Post#789 » by Chanel Bomber » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:58 pm

Sark wrote:
Read on Twitter

Comp is JR Smith

I'll take it, I miss JR.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,442

Post#790 » by Fat Kat » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:08 pm

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

Post#791 » by NYKHardKnock » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:19 pm

DSJr due for a career year and I’m ready for it
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,486

Post#792 » by CharlesOakley » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:43 pm

K-DOT wrote:CP3 for his career shoots 48% from mid (10-16 feet), and hasn't shot below 45% since his 2nd year (where he shot 42%), with pretty similar numbers from 16 to 3 point

DSJ is a career 27% shooter from that same range, with his rookie year being 22% and last year being 36%, and from 16 feet out averaged 34% over 2 years

I like the kid, but he's no CP3. And his passing, while underrated, is nowhere near CP3.

IMO the best comp is Steve Francis. With an improved shot, DS Jr. could put up 20/6 with improved efficiency. That describes Steve Francis pretty well. Not to mention they are both athletic freaks with similar size and builds.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,374

Post#793 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:44 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,368
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#794 » by BKlutch » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:41 pm

How did Dennis fix his jump shot so quickly after not being able to look that good in Dallas or last year with us?

I really want to see if he can still do that in a game, against real defense.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,421

Post#795 » by JXL » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:52 pm

K-DOT wrote:CP3 for his career shoots 48% from mid (10-16 feet), and hasn't shot below 45% since his 2nd year (where he shot 42%), with pretty similar numbers from 16 to 3 point

Dude's in his 3rd year in the league and you're comparing his stats to CP3's career stats? LOL CAN THIS SUMMER END ALREADY?! :banghead:
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
JXL
General Manager

Post#796 » by JXL » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:53 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Dude was never in this kind of shape in Dallas. He's gonna unleash on the league. I have him as a candidate for MIP.
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,249

Post#797 » by DOT » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:54 pm

JXL wrote:

Dude's in his 3rd year in the league and you're comparing his stats to CP3's career stats? LOL CAN THIS SUMMER END ALREADY?! :banghead:

Somebody said he would be more dominant than CP3 as a mid range shooter. That's why I compared the two just in terms of mid range shooting.

Guess you missed that part
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#798 » by Knicksfan1992 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:06 pm

mpharris36 wrote:am I seriously seeing people compare him to HOF players or players that won MVP's...lord have mercy.

I'm excited about his development but pump the breaks fellas.

Sure get mad at the DSJ comparisons but let someone compare Frank to Kawhi and the love would be unconditional.... :wink: :lol:
JXL
General Manager

Post#799 » by JXL » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:08 pm

K-DOT wrote:
JXL wrote:

Somebody said he would be more dominant than CP3 as a mid range shooter. That's why I compared the two just in terms of mid range shooting.

Guess you missed that part

Whoever said that is dumb. CP3's game in the midrange is good because of spacing and his handle is tight. DSJ's game should be more or less like Westbrook except reeling it in and develop your 3 point shot.
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,223

Post#800 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:50 pm

BKlutch wrote:How did Dennis fix his jump shot so quickly after not being able to look that good in Dallas or last year with us?

I really want to see if he can still do that in a game, against real defense.

If he shoots in games as well as his shot is falling in practice now then I'd say that's a big gold star for our developmental program. There's no doubt his shot was completely deconstructed and transformed. He does not shoot the same as before at all. That's real skills development.

Return to New York Knicks