ImageImageImageImage

Jonathan Isaac is looking huge compared to last season.

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,590

Re: Jonathan Isaac is looking huge compared to last season. 

Post#41 » by Skybox » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:59 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Skybox wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
David Robinson's muscles had muscles. Guy was huge, he was one of most jacked nba players ever. In general he was almost perfect athlete. Huge 7'0, crazy mobility, ability to run the floor, shoot, he also had great tehnique and was apsolute monster.

There are Cs today who weight as much as him or more, or have muscles, but nobody looks like him

Guy had quadra double in one game, during his prime he blocked more elite dunkers than probably anybody not named Mutombo ( and dunked some nasty stuff on Mutombo :lol: ) . He also made non other than Jordan ducking in transition in fear of poster :lol:

Robinson was an incredible specimen, athlete, player, human being...but, smart to cut his legs out of the shot. He was not bullying anybody in the post. He was jumping over, lateral movement, speed...Isaac is a good comparison (I hope) for body type/potential. Vuc would post Robinson if they met and bump him around. Different type of Center. I like Isaac quick and switchy, tip of the spear on the perimeter. A little more muscle is great but no need for bulk...Again, I love him, Robinson, Garnett style physique...but not the body to bang with Vuc, Gasol types.

ISaac should look at Siakam. Siakam has similar body style and plays fine.

Great idea...hybrid forward, Garnett too...Robinson had a guy named Tim Duncan to do the heavy work inside...also why Bamba, while intriguing, is far from a sure thing inside- regardless of wingspan.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Post#42 » by pepe1991 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:29 pm

Skybox wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
Skybox wrote:
Robinson was an incredible specimen, athlete, player, human being...but, smart to cut his legs out of the shot. He was not bullying anybody in the post. He was jumping over, lateral movement, speed...Isaac is a good comparison (I hope) for body type/potential. Vuc would post Robinson if they met and bump him around. Different type of Center. I like Isaac quick and switchy, tip of the spear on the perimeter. A little more muscle is great but no need for bulk...Again, I love him, Robinson, Garnett style physique...but not the body to bang with Vuc, Gasol types.

ISaac should look at Siakam. Siakam has similar body style and plays fine.

Great idea...hybrid forward, Garnett too...Robinson had a guy named Tim Duncan to do the heavy work inside...also why Bamba, while intriguing, is far from a sure thing inside- regardless of wingspan.

You do realize that David Robinson was in NBA for 8 years , averaged 25 ppg ,12 rpbg before Tim Duncan was drafted, right?
He even lead Spurs to WCF against Houston in 1995 ( lost in 6 ), who later swept Orlando for championship.

And no, David Robinson did "heavy work inside". He literally was center who guarded Hakeem, Malone, Morning, Shaq, Ewing...
Matter of fact during 2001 WSC it was David Robinson , at times already 35 yeras old, going against Shaq, not Duncan. Duncan was on Horace Grant or Horry for whole series.

But times were different and you could play two bigs inside paint.
it's obvious from a mile that Isaac does not have body or skillset like David Robinson.
And as tiderulz said, his frame is similar to Siakam.
Garnett at 22 was already 2 times allstar also his personality and energy is nothing like Isaac who's dominor is polar opposite of what made KG hall of fame player. Intensity ,chest bumping, tounting , yelling like crazy.
Guy in rookie year dunked over Pippen and Bulls, turned to fans and yelled " i made it mom" :lol:

Player comparison can't be just about player's look, weight or muscles, but about playing style, type of motor ,energy, dominor.
Best example was Gordon and Griffin comparison, for all the hoops he never ever served any facial dunks like Griffin did because he simply avoids that type of contact ( and some smaller players simply move away).

Isaac does have some similarity in his game to Siakam, in terms of style , look, size. Ofc comparing 3rd year player to 4th year player will never be smartest thing to do. Siakam can next year average 22 ppg but he can just as easly go back down to being role player that exploded in right time because all the focus was on Leonard.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
OrlandoSaban
Junior
And1: 201

Post#43 » by OrlandoSaban » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:29 pm

fateis007 wrote:Reports say hes up to 235-240 and is 7'1"- 7'2" ... I didn't notice it much till i saw this shot, he looks much more built out. His legs look twice as big in the videos too. Crazy how much gains he put in in a summer.

I think I am more excited for him then anyone else on the roster.

Can you post pictures of his legs? I am dying to see them.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,874

Post#44 » by Last Guardian » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:19 pm

Just listening to JI on a podcast. Says he was 220 at beginning of last season, 209 by the end. Now he is 234 or 235.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,590

Post#45 » by Skybox » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:52 pm

David Robinson’s arms were freakish, especially compared to his legs...he never outmuscled the monsters of his era. I didn’t even mention Shaq manhandling him, because the obvious response is “Shaq did that to all Earthlings”. The Admiral is an all-time great but he didn’t push guys like Ewing, Hakeem, Shaq, etc around...he out-finessed them. Duncan was an all-time great positional defender (like M. Gasol) without jumping out of the gym but Robinson didn’t have the ass for that style of play or matchup...if Duncan was off Shaq that just meant they were conceding he wasn’t going to be stopped, only contained.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#46 » by basketballRob » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:25 am

Robinson played 4 years at Navy and then served 2 years before he started his career in the NBA.

Robinson was one of the few guys the Navy let in at 6'8". Normally 6'6" was their maximum height allowed. Robinson then grew to 7'1" while at Navy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
paperboymafia
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#47 » by paperboymafia » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:03 am

I love seeing David Robinson in any thread. What a player. Was my favourite non-magician growing up in the days of Penny and Shaq.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#48 » by drsd » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:46 am

paperboymafia wrote:I love seeing David Robinson in any thread. What a player. Was my favourite non-magician growing up in the days of Penny and Shaq.

From WIKI:
Robinson scored 1320 on the SAT, and chose to go to the United States Naval Academy, where he majored in mathematics.

So he was academically in the top-10% nationally as a High School student and went to one of the hardest mathematics programs in the States; AND still got Navy to the Elite-Eight in 1986.
paperboymafia
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#49 » by paperboymafia » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:55 am

drsd wrote:
paperboymafia wrote:I love seeing David Robinson in any thread. What a player. Was my favourite non-magician growing up in the days of Penny and Shaq.

From WIKI:
Robinson scored 1320 on the SAT, and chose to go to the United States Naval Academy, where he majored in mathematics.

So he was academically in the top-10% nationally as a High School student and went to one of the hardest mathematics programs in the States; AND still got Navy to the Elite-Eight in 1986.

One of the best role-models the league has seen
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,368

Post#50 » by baldur » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:57 am

now magic are full of 7 foot centers. isaac will play 3 again?
drsd
RealGM

Post#51 » by drsd » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:19 am

tiderulz wrote:ISaac should look at Siakam. Siakam has similar body style and plays fine.

INDEED!

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,098

Post#52 » by tiderulz » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:56 am

drsd wrote:

From WIKI:

Naval Academy has one of the hardest math programs?
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Post#53 » by pepe1991 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:31 pm

drsd wrote:

From WIKI:

In 2001, Robinson founded and funded the $9 million Carver Academy in San Antonio, a non-profit private school named for George Washington Carver to provide more opportunities for inner-city children. In 2012, the school became a public charter school and its name changed to IDEA Carver. Robinson continues to be a very active participant in the school's day-to-day activities.[28][29]

In 2011, Robinson earned a Master of Arts in Administration (with concentration in organizational development) from the University of the Incarnate Word to better "understand how businesses work and how to build them.".[30]

Beyond his founding of Carver Academy, Robinson is well known as a philanthropist. Robinson and business partner Daniel Bassichis donate 10 percent of their profits to charitable causes.[30] The winner of the NBA Community Assist Award is presented with the David Robinson Plaque

Btw he was in city next to mine 7 weeks ago on vacation and people who had chance to talk with him said he is kindest person you can find. He also donated items for local museum of basketball

Spoiler:

Role model. Simple as that.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Last Guardian
RealGM

Post#54 » by Last Guardian » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:53 pm

Must be nice to be 7'1, smart, jacked and rich. Well, at least I can fit in normal sized cars.
Last Guardian
RealGM

Post#55 » by Last Guardian » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:00 pm

baldur wrote:now magic are full of 7 foot centers. isaac will play 3 again?

Heights are exaggerated....he's 6'10/6'11 unless he really grew 2 inches which I doubt but its not unheard of. I'd have to see him standing next to another 7 footer for comparison.

Anyway he and AG switch up being the 3 and 4.
NavalAviator94
Analyst
And1: 1,456

Post#56 » by NavalAviator94 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:41 pm

tiderulz wrote:
drsd wrote:

From WIKI:

Former Naval Officer/Aviator here. I didn't attend the Academy but it's either THE top Engineering school or right up there. It may even be the top public school in the rankings. There are certainly better Math specific programs out there like MIT but as a broad engineering matter the Academy is right there.

The Academy would be my #1 choice for my kids outside of maybe MIT. And even then I would go Naval ROTC to gain the leadership experience and do things most kids never get the opportunity to do.
drsd
RealGM

Post#57 » by drsd » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:06 pm

tiderulz wrote:
drsd wrote:

From WIKI:

They train midshipmen to run nuclear reactors on underwater submarines. Yes the program is rigourous. Not saying it is MIT, but David Robinson did NOT take a sports-management approach at Cup-cake University as his college experience .

Let's look at Kentucky last year, for example:
QUADE GREEN - Exploratory Studies in Agriculture
ASHTON HAGANS - Exploratory Studies in Agriculture
KELDON JOHNSON - Exploratory Studies in Agriculture
NICK RICHARDS - Exploratory Studies in Agriculture
IMMANUEL QUICKLEY - Exploratory Studies in Agriculture
JONNY DAVID - Kinesiology
BRAD CALIPARI - Pre-Marketing
JEMARL BAKER JR. - Exploratory Studies in Arts and Sciences
TYLER HERRO - Exploratory Studies in Agriculture
ZAN PAYNE - Exploratory Studies in Agriculture
REID TRAVIS - Graduate School (Masters in Health promotion with an emphasis in sport leadership)
EJ MONTGOMERY - Exploratory Studies in Agriculture
PJ WASHINGTON - Exploratory Studies in Communication

Many of those names will not complete their education, as well.

And David Robinson graduated with a Mathematics degree. Hmm.

drsd
RealGM

Post#58 » by drsd » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:08 pm

Last Guardian wrote:Must be nice to be 7'1, smart, jacked and rich. Well, at least I can fit in normal sized cars.

fateis007
Rookie
And1: 813

Post#59 » by fateis007 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:45 pm

To everyone saying he looks the same, u crazy. he ended last season at 210, so he is 25 lb heavier now.

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,098

Post#60 » by tiderulz » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:12 pm

NavalAviator94 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
drsd wrote:
From WIKI:

Former Naval Officer/Aviator here. I didn't attend the Academy but it's either THE top Engineering school or right up there. It may even be the top public school in the rankings. There are certainly better Math specific programs out there like MIT but as a broad engineering matter the Academy is right there.

The Academy would be my #1 choice for my kids outside of maybe MIT. And even then I would go Naval ROTC to gain the leadership experience and do things most kids never get the opportunity to do.

I'm not knocking the Navy, i was born on a Navy base in Spain and graduated high school on another in Asia. The Academy is great, but there are a schools and programs out there that are as good if not better. I state this knowing and talking to at least 20 former Naval Academy graduates. I wouldnt mind my son going there, I would dissuade my daughter from going to any military academy right now, but not for academic reasons

Return to Orlando Magic