ImageImageImage

Pistons sign Super Cool Beas

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Re: Pistons sign Super Cool Beas 

Post#61 » by flow » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:51 pm

vege wrote:With Blake and Kief I have no idea how Beasley is getting minutes. He is very talented and I like him a lot for the minimum. We added 2 guys who can give us decent production in case Blake goes down, we had none last season, the FO did a good job this offseason. Wood is probably gone.

I have no idea how much PT he'll get, but I don't see Morris (or Griffin, for that matter) affecting Beasley's minutes.

Morris is a 4 who can also play the 5.

I know Beasley is listed as a 3/4 in certain places, but he's really a 3 who can also play the 2 & 4 in spots.

Snell, Kennard, Brown... are the guys he'd be parsing minutes with.

Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,672

Post#62 » by Invictus88 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:55 pm

thesack12 wrote:With a quick scan around the league, I don't really see a clear avenue to 2 for 1 Galloway/Maker while allowing Detroit to get under the tax & Keep Beasley in the process.

If they keep Beasley, I think the likely course of action will be Detroit trades either Svi or Thomas to a team who doesn't have a lot of youth and has limited draft resources while currently simply cheap bodies can be of use. All of Houston, LAC, LAL immediately come to mind. Detroit gets a heavily protected future 2nd, while the other team absorbs Svi or Thomas into one of their TPE's. Of course this would need to happen prior to the season starting to get down to the roster limit of 15.

A move like that would get Detroit within a couple hundred thousand of getting below the tax. At some point later on, it wouldn't be hard to shed that little amount and get under the tax, by buying someone out or making a small cost cutting trade.

There's also the chance they just waive Svi. His contract is unguaranteed, so it accomplishes the same goal of getting down to the roster limit and making it easier to get under the tax at a later date.

Wait what?

We just sign Beasley -- who was otherwise destined to live out eternity in China -- and now we are talking about trading away or outright waiving Svi in order to keep him in this trade?

Why don't we see what we have in Svi first?
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#63 » by thesack12 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:48 am

Invictus88 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:With a quick scan around the league, I don't really see a clear avenue to 2 for 1 Galloway/Maker while allowing Detroit to get under the tax & Keep Beasley in the process.

If they keep Beasley, I think the likely course of action will be Detroit trades either Svi or Thomas to a team who doesn't have a lot of youth and has limited draft resources while currently simply cheap bodies can be of use. All of Houston, LAC, LAL immediately come to mind. Detroit gets a heavily protected future 2nd, while the other team absorbs Svi or Thomas into one of their TPE's. Of course this would need to happen prior to the season starting to get down to the roster limit of 15.

A move like that would get Detroit within a couple hundred thousand of getting below the tax. At some point later on, it wouldn't be hard to shed that little amount and get under the tax, by buying someone out or making a small cost cutting trade.

There's also the chance they just waive Svi. His contract is unguaranteed, so it accomplishes the same goal of getting down to the roster limit and making it easier to get under the tax at a later date.

Wait what?

We just sign Beasley -- who was otherwise destined to live out eternity in China -- and now we are talking about trading away or outright waiving Svi in order to keep him in this trade?

I guess you missed the part where I said "if they keep Beasley."

If they keep Beasley and assuming Sekou basically gets redshirted his rookie year, where are the minutes for Svi going to be? Snell and Beasley will monopolize the SF minutes, and that's not even considering Brown or Kennard ever picking up a few extra minutes at the 3.
Invictus88
Analyst

Post#64 » by Invictus88 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:35 am

thesack12 wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:

Wait what?

If they keep Beasley and assuming Sekou basically gets redshirted his rookie year, where are the minutes for Svi going to be? Snell and Beasley will monopolize the SF minutes, and that's not even considering Brown or Kennard ever picking up a few extra minutes at the 3.

Nahh. I think you drop your other non-guaranteed contract (Wood) if you need to make a choice. Drummond, Thon, Blake, and Kieff are all 6'10 or taller. Svi and Seikou are 6'9, with Beasley being 6'8"

I just think you have to keep your young prospects to see if they develop; especially considering we traded away Bullock for him, who at the time was a top 5 3pt shooter.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#65 » by Pharaoh » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:31 am

I'd be keeping Wood & Svi over Beasley.

If we're gonna dump a kid I vote Thomas.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#66 » by thesack12 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:46 am

Invictus88 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
Wait what?

Nahh. I think you drop your other non-guaranteed contract (Wood) if you need to make a choice. Drummond, Thon, Blake, and Kieff are all 6'10 or taller. Svi and Seikou are 6'9, with Beasley being 6'8"

I just think you have to keep your young prospects to see if they develop; especially considering we traded away Bullock for him, who at the time was a top 5 3pt shooter.

If its me, I wouldn't have brought in Beasley to begin with. Again if its me, in an either/or type situation I'm definitely keeping Wood over Svi.

Its starting to look like at least some people within the organization aren't real high on Svi. They brought in two very meh veterans that are a direct threat to Svi's path to minutes.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#67 » by flow » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:29 am

thesack12 wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

If its me, I wouldn't have brought in Beasley to begin with. Again if its me, in an either/or type situation I'm definitely keeping Wood over Svi.

Its starting to look like at least some people within the organization aren't real high on Svi. They brought in two very meh veterans that are a direct threat to Svi's path to minutes.

I wasn't under the impression that the Pistons were ever really high on Svi. He was a rookie on a 2nd round contract taken, along with a 2nd round draft pick, in a trade designed to get something for a player Detroit didn't think they'd be able to re-sign. He wasn't a blue chip prospect - he was a 2nd round selection after playing 4 years at Kansas.

Don't get me wrong, I hope the guy tears it up in training camp and beats out Beasley, Snell & every other vet in his way. I just don't think the Pistons have any vested hopes in him, that's all.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#68 » by vege » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:53 pm

flow wrote:
vege wrote:With Blake and Kief I have no idea how Beasley is getting minutes. He is very talented and I like him a lot for the minimum. We added 2 guys who can give us decent production in case Blake goes down, we had none last season, the FO did a good job this offseason. Wood is probably gone.

I have no idea how much PT he'll get, but I don't see Morris (or Griffin, for that matter) affecting Beasley's minutes.

Morris is a 4 who can also play the 5.

I know Beasley is listed as a 3/4 in certain places, but he's really a 3 who can also play the 2 & 4 in spots.

Snell, Kennard, Brown... are the guys he'd be parsing minutes with.

Blake and Morris are 4/5 Beasley is a 3/4 but they're all primary 4 who can play small minutes in another position. Beasley can't play the 2, you're crazy, he can't even guard 3's imagine 2's lmao
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#69 » by hoophabit » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:52 pm

It seems like a reasonable signing on a "make good" contract. There's no denying his offensive talent. Maybe having had to play overseas will motivate him to make an effort on defense? Probably not, but given his talent level it's worth a look. Wood is in the same situation, and I'm not going to write him off either without a showing.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#70 » by DBC10 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:04 am

hoophabit wrote:It seems like a reasonable signing on a "make good" contract. There's no denying his offensive talent. Maybe having had to play overseas will motivate him to make an effort on defense? Probably not, but given his talent level it's worth a look. Wood is in the same situation, and I'm not going to write him off either without a showing.

He's been in the league for more than 5 years, he's not going to start drastically changing things up, which rarely players ever do at that point in their careers. We're going to get the occasional "wtf B-easy with the 30 piece" game and then he becomes forgettable the next few games.

I'm bummed that this may put Sekou even more on the backburner. I'm guessing G-league stints here and there are going to be in his future. Makes sense since even Siakam was doing stints there too early in his career. We got too many forwards now.
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#71 » by hoophabit » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:39 pm

DBC10 wrote:
hoophabit wrote:It seems like a reasonable signing on a "make good" contract. There's no denying his offensive talent. Maybe having had to play overseas will motivate him to make an effort on defense? Probably not, but given his talent level it's worth a look. Wood is in the same situation, and I'm not going to write him off either without a showing.

He's been in the league for more than 5 years, he's not going to start drastically changing things up, which rarely players ever do at that point in their careers. We're going to get the occasional "wtf B-easy with the 30 piece" game and then he becomes forgettable the next few games.

I'm bummed that this may put Sekou even more on the backburner. I'm guessing G-league stints here and there are going to be in his future. Makes sense since even Siakam was doing stints there too early in his career. We got too many forwards now.

Yes, that's why I said "probably not" about Beas having some epiphany, but once in a very great while it does happen. More likely he's 'camp fodder.' In fact, I have more hope of Wood proving a useful piece than Beasley given his being at an earlier point on his 'trajectory.'

I don't worry about Sekou at all, as he'll get what he can handle. The Pistons made a big investment in him and his development will be a top priority. As has been repeatedly noted, keeping expectations reasonable for a guy who won't be 19 until the end of December is likely important.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,456

Post#72 » by Canadafan » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:21 pm

DBC10 wrote:

There will be time. Just not this year being hes only 18
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,373

Post#73 » by Billl » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:34 pm

Canadafan wrote:
DBC10 wrote:

There will be time. Just not this year being hes only 18

No reason he shouldn't get consistent minutes. Not major minutes, but consistent ones. It's not like we're actually competing for a title or something.
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#74 » by The_Irony » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:54 pm

did you guys forget Bruce brown started most of the season after coming off a major Injury in college?

you guys have no basis to think sekou won't play if he earns it. this is NOT the SVG era. Casey plays whoever works hard..young or old.
Invictus88
Analyst

Post#75 » by Invictus88 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:04 pm

The_Irony wrote:did you guys forget Bruce brown started most of the season after coming off a major Injury in college?

you guys have no basis to think sekou won't play if he earns it. this is NOT the SVG era. Casey plays whoever works hard..young or old.

Brown played significant minutes his first year because he hustled and could play defense. Sekou hasn't shown he can do that yet? But it's still early.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#76 » by BadMofoPimp » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:24 pm

The_Irony wrote:did you guys forget Bruce brown started most of the season after coming off a major Injury in college?

There is no "Reason" to believe that he will be given consistent minutes unless he actually EARNS them. Yet, there are those here who think he will be given them regardless.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
The_Irony
Lead Assistant

Post#77 » by The_Irony » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:16 am

Invictus88 wrote:

Brown played significant minutes his first year because he hustled and could play defense. Sekou hasn't shown he can do that yet? But it's still early.

he definitely hasn't shown it yet for obvious reasons and my post you quoted me on already explained why Bruce got the starts. My point still stands that sekou can be our starter or a rotation player if he shows the same hustle energy and shows his talent early.

Bruce wasn't even starting in preseason if I remember correctly. the decision came the day of or day before the opener
Invictus88
Analyst

Post#78 » by Invictus88 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:59 am

The_Irony wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:

he definitely hasn't shown it yet for obvious reasons and my post you quoted me on already explained why Bruce got the starts. My point still stands that sekou can be our starter or a rotation player if he shows the same hustle energy and shows his talent early.

Bruce wasn't even starting in preseason if I remember correctly. the decision came the day of or day before the opener

I didn't see where you mentioned Brown playing defense anywhere in your above post. Did I just miss it? I also don't think we are disagreeing?
The_Irony
Lead Assistant

Post#79 » by The_Irony » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:23 am

Invictus88 wrote:
The_Irony wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:Brown played significant minutes his first year because he hustled and could play defense. Sekou hasn't shown he can do that yet? But it's still early.

I didn't see where you mentioned Brown playing defense anywhere in your above post. Did I just miss it? I also don't think we are disagreeing?

Casey plays whoever works hard.

we both know brown wasnt playing because of his effort on offense.
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#80 » by DetroitPistons » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:19 am

Except for Luke Kennard... Who should've been the starting SG right off the bat last year and should be starting this year and getting 30+mpg. We will see if Casey finally wakes up and let's Kennard flourish.

Return to Detroit Pistons