ImageImageImageImageImage

Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

ny-n-md
Sixth Man
And1: 1,386

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#801 » by ny-n-md » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:37 pm

This guy is putting in work this offseason! That jumper is looking good. He splashed a couple in this video with the Morris twins defending him at around 5:30 mark. He wants it. I can’t wait for this season to get here.
JUST PLAY THE KIDS ALREADY!!!!!
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,438

Post#802 » by RHODEY » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:13 pm

Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,125

Post#803 » by Juco24 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:40 pm

RHODEY wrote:

I have a good feeling about him... video made me hype!
HerSports85
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 28,827

Post#804 » by HerSports85 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:48 pm

RHODEY wrote:

This better be my starting point guard opening night
BAF: Chicago Bulls
2023 In-season tournament Champs
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,385

Post#805 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:10 pm

DSJ showing he can play with Payton. Showing off that jumper and hops too
Read on Twitter
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#806 » by HEZI » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:31 am

3toheadmelo wrote:DSJ showing he can play with Payton. Showing off that jumper and hops too
Read on Twitter

Are they playing pickup against high schoolers? No way are DSJ, Elfrid Payton and RJ Barrett going to be able to coexist together in the NBA. Sorry bro but it just won't work.

Payton is not much of an upgrade over Mudiay, so it really won't be much different.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,373
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#807 » by BKlutch » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:01 am

DSJ is so amazingly athletic. I just hope his shot is really as good as it looks here. It's astounding how good he looks and how good his shot looks. He's taken off the flab, like he really wants to succeed here. Let's hope it's for real.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,265

Post#808 » by Clyde_Style » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:07 am

HEZI wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:DSJ showing he can play with Payton. Showing off that jumper and hops too
Read on Twitter

Are they playing pickup against high schoolers? No way are DSJ, Elfrid Payton and RJ Barrett going to be able to coexist together in the NBA. Sorry bro but it just won't work.

Payton is not much of an upgrade over Mudiay, so it really won't be much different.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Payton play with his head up and finish better at the rim vs. Mudiay who played way too much with his head down and was only average at best at the rim?

Seems like a definite upgrade to me even though I now expect him to back up DSJr who also appears to have upgraded himself this off-season.

I do want to see if RJ and DSJr can play together.

Besides, what does it matter if only two of them are on the court together at the same time? We're not talking about 3 players sharing the ball, just two at a time.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,385

Post#809 » by 3toheadmelo » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:43 am

HEZI wrote:
Read on Twitter

Payton passed the ball to DSJ in this vid more times than Mudiay did all year. Maybe you’re right but it’s very possible it can work. Especially if DSJ shot is legit too.
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,579

Post#810 » by mpharris36 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:59 am

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:am I seriously seeing people compare him to HOF players or players that won MVP's...lord have mercy.

I'm excited about his development but pump the breaks fellas.

Sure get mad at the DSJ comparisons but let someone compare Frank to Kawhi and the love would be unconditional.... :wink: :lol:

i would call them just as stupid.... :wink: :lol:
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Rock Bottom
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#811 » by Rock Bottom » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:15 am

this dude dsjr gon be nice.. and morris can anthony mason/kurt thomas tha sht down for us..
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#812 » by HEZI » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:15 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Read on Twitter

Payton passed the ball to DSJ in this vid more times than Mudiay did all year. Maybe you’re right but it’s very possible it can work. Especially if DSJ shot is legit too.

It's a pickup game and not even a Rico Hines run either. These guys look like they hooping against some kids and D2 players
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,639

Post#813 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:27 am

HerSports85 wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

This better be my starting point guard opening night

Spliff's not even playing with a real basketball. Look how big and heavy that basketball is. He doesn't even know what sized a regulation basketball is. :noway: :rofl: :crazy:
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#814 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:32 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Read on Twitter

Why are you all sleeping on Dotson? Did you fck your mom or something? Even Lebron could put that shyt aside. :lol: Seriously, Dotson or Trier are the two best SGs on the team. I'd start Dotson bc he's the better defender and the more consistent 3-pt shooter. Trier is perfect for percolating off the bench.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#815 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:34 am

HEZI wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
HEZI wrote:

It's a pickup game and not even a Rico Hines run either. These guys look like they hooping against some kids and D2 players

Looks like the pre-game practice session for the NBA ASG.
Free Palestine
Juco24
Lead Assistant

Post#816 » by Juco24 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:48 pm

BKlutch wrote:DSJ is so amazingly athletic. I just hope his shot is really as good as it looks here. It's astounding how good he looks and how good his shot looks. He's taken off the flab, like he really wants to succeed here. Let's hope it's for real.

Yeah - agreed!!... I know the competition was lacking but I look for the little things.... Did you notice the fluidity? Same motion each time? Those are things that don't change regardless of who you're playing. And he's definitely different.
Juco24
Lead Assistant

Post#817 » by Juco24 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:55 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Read on Twitter

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Payton play with his head up and finish better at the rim vs. Mudiay who played way too much with his head down and was only average at best at the rim?

Seems like a definite upgrade to me even though I now expect him to back up DSJr who also appears to have upgraded himself this off-season.

Besides, what does it matter if only two of them are on the court together at the same time? We're not talking about 3 players sharing the ball, just two at a time.

I'm glad you responded the way you did Clyde... Mudiay did nothing to make the team better and I don't know if that's even in his psyche. EP is a better defender, passer & finisher - actually no comparison.

And I know this video is kinda silly, but I'd never thought about playing EP with DSJ. Not advocating for it (before someone goes crazy) but I could see them playing some together.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#818 » by Clyde_Style » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:11 pm

Juco24 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
HEZI wrote:

I'm glad you responded the way you did Clyde... Mudiay did nothing to make the team better and I don't know if that's even in his psyche. EP is a better defender, passer & finisher - actually no comparison.

And I know this video is kinda silly, but I'd never thought about playing EP with DSJ. Not advocating for it (before someone goes crazy) but I could see them playing some together.

Yeah EP is clearly a better player than Mudiay.

I expect Fiz to try playing him with DSJr. It might even be the starting lineup, though I still expect our # 3 pick to have a strong shot at starting unless his stumbles during training camp and pre-season.

So, actually if we had not drafted third I'd probably expect EP to start with Dennis, but I think # 3 picks will start as long as they are performing.

Since Dennis can play off the ball too if his shot is falling I don't really see the usage arguments as being totally valid. That is more of a coaching issue. If Fiz tries to teach Dennis how to play off-the-ball better then he can alternate with another ball handler in terms of who initiates a play.

If Smith's jumper is wet, then he will actually be more dangerous if sometimes shoots or drives as a pass recipient. He becomes more viable as a combo guard than as strictly a PG. Again, it comes down more to how guys learn to play off of each other than their strict position designation. Positionless ball could be a legit benefit to a player like Smith in particular.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,047

Post#819 » by GONYK » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:12 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
Juco24 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

I expect Fiz to try playing him with DSJr. It might even be the starting lineup, though I still expect our # 3 pick to have a strong shot at starting unless his stumbles during training camp and pre-season.

So, actually if we had not drafted third I'd probably expect EP to start with Dennis, but I think # 3 picks will start as long as they are performing.

Since Dennis can play off the ball too if his shot is falling I don't really see the usage arguments as being totally valid. That is more of a coaching issue. If Fiz tries to teach Dennis how to play off-the-ball better then he can alternate with another ball handler in terms of who initiates a play.

This has yet to be determined. His shot isn't the only concern on that front.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#820 » by Clyde_Style » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:15 pm

GONYK wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Juco24 wrote:

This has yet to be determined. His shot isn't the only concern on that front.

Re-read my sentence for the grammar though. I see nothing in his game that cannot be utilized as the beneficiary of a pass as opposed to requiring the ball in his hands at all times IF his outside shot becomes a legit threat.

Return to New York Knicks