ImageImageImage

Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1221 » by cloverleaf » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:22 am

100proof wrote:That question that Brown asked is completely out of context imo.

And without the context and the entirety of the conversation it's impossible to tell what was truly being implied.

I mean, he could have just as easily been pointing out that they were not nearly as good as the 86 Celtics, but just doing it in a very cryptic way, in a way to get Danny's trade wheel turning.

Kind of a Rhetorical question.

Danny's not stupid and that's not what JB was getting at. He also went into last season talking about his plans to win, what was it, five championships, or something like that?
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1222 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:24 am

Jaylen asking about the 86 team is just a young kid being naive and not understanding how epic that team and those era Celtics and lakers were. I don’t hold it against him- he’s just young. Watching espn classic and you tube highlights is all he has ever seen or known.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#1223 » by Feed Your Head » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:34 am

How anyone could take the 86 Celtics comment from Jaylen as problematic is almost mind blowing. Like I'm not the biggest Jaylen guy, but that's pretty clearly him just being naive.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#1224 » by Andrew McCeltic » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:36 am

“Kyrie is better than Dennis Johnson by a lot, Marcus and I are better than Danny was, Tatum isn’t Bird but he’s close, Morris defends better than McHale and can stretch the floor, Al Horford is healthier than Bill Walton and a better passer than Parish..”
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man
And1: 850

Post#1225 » by Dannyboy36 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:55 am

Ainge sounds exactly like Kyrie. Got anyone saying Kyrie wasn’t the main problem you certainly could use this to back up your argument. Danny is my favorite player ever and I was really disappointed he shared this with the press. I don’t see what’s to be gained. I can’t imagine saying this and looking Jaylen in the face. When are the Celts gonna be done with the blame game of last year? Can we move on, already?
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#1226 » by cloverleaf » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:03 am

MagicBagley18 wrote:Jaylen asking about the 86 team is just a young kid being naive and not understanding how epic that team and those era Celtics and lakers were. I don’t hold it against him- he’s just young. Watching espn classic and you tube highlights is all he has ever seen or known.

No, he understood how epic they were or he wouldn't have asked about the 86 team. What is mind-blowing was his overestimation of a team he was starting on in comparison.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#1227 » by cloverleaf » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:04 am

5InOfLouisville wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:With that query from Brown it might be best for him not to make it to the World Cup this summer, though with so many players pulling out he seems likely to make the cut.

Why might it be best for him not to make it?

To understand that he hasn't nearly arrived as a leading player in the league, let alone a legendary one--so he will keep working hard to get better.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#1228 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:22 am

cloverleaf wrote:
5InOfLouisville wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:With that query from Brown it might be best for him not to make it to the World Cup this summer, though with so many players pulling out he seems likely to make the cut.

To understand that he hasn't nearly arrived as a leading player in the league, let alone a legendary one--so he will keep working hard to get better.

I think repeated competitive practice/games vs elite players where he’ll also receive coaching from the best coach in modern history is more beneficial, personally.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#1229 » by Feed Your Head » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:25 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
5InOfLouisville wrote:

I think repeated competitive practice/games vs elite players where he’ll also receive coaching from the best coach in modern history is more beneficial, personally.

Noooo, Jaylen needs to be taught a lesson!
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#1230 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:27 am

Dannyboy36 wrote:Ainge sounds exactly like Kyrie. Got anyone saying Kyrie wasn’t the main problem you certainly could use this to back up your argument. Danny is my favorite player ever and I was really disappointed he shared this with the press. I don’t see what’s to be gained. I can’t imagine saying this and looking Jaylen in the face. When are the Celts gonna be done with the blame game of last year? Can we move on, already?

Maybe Jaylen will read the full quote— id recommend you do it as well.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/danny-ainge-jaylen-brown-handled-difficult-situation-better-anybody-celtics

"He might have handled a difficult situation better than anybody on our team last year," Ainge said during a recent taping of The Michael Holley Podcast alongside Celtics managing partners Wyc Grousbeck and Steve Pagliuca. "Very mature kid, wants to be great, knows that his time is coming."

"It's hard for him to be patient, but he has been patient. And he continues to work," Ainge continued. "He's trying to find ways to get better, and I think Jaylen's going to be a very good player and has a very bright future."
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#1231 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:42 am

cloverleaf wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:Jaylen asking about the 86 team is just a young kid being naive and not understanding how epic that team and those era Celtics and lakers were. I don’t hold it against him- he’s just young. Watching espn classic and you tube highlights is all he has ever seen or known.

No, he understood how epic they were or he wouldn't have asked about the 86 team. What is mind-blowing was his overestimation of a team he was starting on in comparison.

Clearly there was a disconnect on just how good he thought they were or he wouldn’t even try asking the question
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#1232 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:53 am

MagicBagley18 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Clearly there was a disconnect on just how good he thought they were or he wouldn’t even try asking the question

To put things into perspective, Jaylen was born in 1996. Think about how much you know about the NBA champs 10 years before you were born. I'm not afraid to admit that I know nothing.... Can't even name 2 players on the squad. :lol:
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,682

Post#1233 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:00 am

Danny has long made fun of young guys for being ... young. Gerald Green was a memorable example.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,025

Post#1234 » by Bad-Thoma » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:48 am

I can't believe how many people are up Jaylen's ass about this, he's a **** kid. If you don't think you said or thought some naive **** in your early 20's then you just aren't self aware.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#1235 » by Ernest » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:43 am

Bad-Thoma wrote:I can't believe how many people are up Jaylen's ass about this

I can. People here haven’t been up anyone’s ass in almost a week.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,694

Post#1236 » by return2glory » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:39 pm

Two things about that conversation:

1. It’s not that Jaylen is young or naive. That’s borderline arrogant and ignorant. For a guy that thinks of himself as super intelligent, time and time again he proves to people he isn’t. What makes you even try to compare the team you play on to arguably the greatest basketball team in NBA history?

2. Having seen anyone mention this yet. But Danny calling Larry Bird one of the greatest Celtics of all-time in his prime is an understatement. No Danny, Bird in his prime was one of the greatest players of all-time.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#1237 » by Darth Celtic » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:27 pm

return2glory wrote:Two things about that conversation:

1. It’s not that Jaylen is young or naive. That’s borderline arrogant and ignorant. For a guy that thinks of himself as super intelligent, time and time again he proves to people he isn’t. What makes you even try to compare the team you play on to arguably the greatest basketball team in NBA history?

2. Having seen anyone mention this yet. But Danny calling Larry Bird one of the greatest Celtics of all-time in his prime is an understatement. No Danny, Bird in his prime was one of the greatest players of all-time.

Yet you can argue Bill was right there too. 11 rings.

If I had to put them in order, I would also put Bird as 1 and Bill as 2, but I did grow up watching basketball in the early 80's and like Jaylen, have to take others words for it when it comes to Russel's greatness.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,927

Post#1238 » by Celts17Pride » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:56 pm

Biggest non story of the off season so far. Summer months can be real tough in this forum
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#1239 » by Taget » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:34 pm

return2glory wrote:Two things about that conversation:

That is part of being an elite basketball player. Being fearless and feeling like your worthy to go one-on-one with anyone. To stand toe-to-toe with Lebron and not back down. I'd be more worried if he asked Danny if he might be the next Brian Scalabrine!
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#1240 » by Roddy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:15 pm

Guerschon Yabusele Agrees To Sign With Nanjing Tongxi

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/255192/Guerschon-Yabusele-Agrees-To-Sign-With-Nanjing-Tongxi

So disappointed in Yabu. He is good enough to play in Europe. At 23 years old, he is already taking the money instead of learning the game.

Return to Boston Celtics