ImageImageImage

Gordon Hayward Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,156

Re: Gordon Hayward Thread 

Post#1541 » by itrsteve » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:21 pm

100proof wrote:
I dont disagree with you.

Not sure if team would actually have capspace in 2 years when hayward expires as team would have jaylen and tatum? extensions by then

You're right about that, there are definitely some variables by then... The big TV contract is still good for 24-25 though. The way that the NBA is growing, it's tough to see the cap contract anytime soon but there shouldn't be another major spikes either.

Big however, the Brown extension still escapes me, to be honest. I thought an extension would have already happened by now due to the high reluctance to trade him. Dig into the tax and ride the bird rights out into the sunset, but I'm apparently wrong on that as of 8/13/2019. But also, none of us are privy to the terms if they were expressed (if they even were).

The Brown extension is the big decision of why I'm not equipped to be an actual GM. It's a rookie extension with significant ramifications if you miss. Unfortunately, they're playing with fire if he ends up producing this year, the RFA market will not be kind given the weak UFA market.

Tatum gets every penny on day 1 though.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 8,950

Post#1542 » by Bad-Thoma » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:07 pm

3D Chess wrote:
Fidel Sarcasmo wrote:Damn I got a lot of catching up to do with the celtics. Im like not even authorized to give an opinion right now.

You think that stops anybody else?

Beat me to it!
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,156

Post#1543 » by itrsteve » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:23 pm

cloverleaf wrote:When's the last time Brad played anyone 35 minutes a game?

Exactly, I sort of made the simple math point above... Even under the broad assumption that nobody gets injured, lets assume that there are two spots at any given point to distribute between Tatum, Brown and Hayward, you're still looking at 32 min for each.

Drop it to a realistic Brad number of 28 and you just opened up time for other wings.

Personally, I don't buy into the "too many mouths to feed" or "Hayward will stunt the growth of the Jay's" argument, not in Boston.
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#1544 » by 100proof » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:51 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
100proof wrote:
5InOfLouisville wrote:
Why would Brown/Smart be "likely regressed"?

Is the implication that Hayward playing better somehow makes them worse? If so, I disagree. Marcus Smart does not need to be a high-volume offensive player to be successful.

An active and productive Hayward commands attention and opens up the floor for brown to shoot open shots/straightline drive, which i believe are his strengths, along with a developing post-up game that allows him to bully most guards in the league.

I understand the idea of too many mouths, but even after last year, i maintain this is the best problem to have. It seems that to have success in today's NBA, you need good players to play well with other good players. And I see no reason why JB or Smart would be unable to do so.

I'm not making any bold predictions, but I expect both Brown and Hayward to perform better than they did last year, and I don't think Smart will regress, although I do worry worry about his historical shooting performance, and hope last year represented an improvement, not an aberration.

Well I am jumping to a bit of an assumption there.

I am assuming that if Gordon returns to Utah form, meaning 35 minutes per game at his primary position of either SG or SF then it is taking one of Tatum or Brown or Smart more out of position and most likely fewer minutes.

And most players perform worse in fewer minutes that not, looking at things in a raw statistical sense.

When's the last time Brad played anyone 35 minutes a game?

I agree.

Which furthers the assumption that Hayward will never produce the same raw numbers he did in Utah.

I hope for at least a similar per minute production as Utah Hayward while still allowing Tatum amd Brown lots of run to grow.

I mean Mitchell, simmons, embiid, grant, siakam, beal, booker, harris, ayton, gordon, ingram, towns, kuzma, murray, markennen, doncic, osmond, heild, sexton, has logged more minutes than both Brown amd Tatum.

As has a slew of other young players and older players.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#1545 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:26 pm

I will throw one more trade out there just to stir the pot: Hayward to Miami for Winslow/Dragic
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#1546 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:33 pm

Scratch that - Hayward to MIA, Dragic to OKC, Adams/Winslow to BOS
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#1547 » by cloverleaf » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:33 am

100proof wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
100proof wrote:
Well I am jumping to a bit of an assumption there.

I am assuming that if Gordon returns to Utah form, meaning 35 minutes per game at his primary position of either SG or SF then it is taking one of Tatum or Brown or Smart more out of position and most likely fewer minutes.

And most players perform worse in fewer minutes that not, looking at things in a raw statistical sense.

I agree.

Which furthers the assumption that Hayward will never produce the same raw numbers he did in Utah.

I hope for at least a similar per minute production as Utah Hayward while still allowing Tatum amd Brown lots of run to grow.

I mean Mitchell, simmons, embiid, grant, siakam, beal, booker, harris, ayton, gordon, ingram, towns, kuzma, murray, markennen, doncic, osmond, heild, sexton, has logged more minutes than both Brown amd Tatum.

I don't think there is much to be gained by playing even young players more than 30-32 minutes a game. Hayward's 23/6/4 per 36 his last year in Utah would be fine, thank you.
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#1548 » by 100proof » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:53 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
100proof wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

I agree.

I don't think there is much to be gained by playing even young players more than 30-32 minutes a game. Hayward's 23/6/4 per 36 his last year in Utah would be fine, thank you.

Thats 16, 4.5 and 2.5 over 25 minutes.

That rozier level play at twice the price. No thanks. I wamt alot more.
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#1549 » by Tiny ball » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:49 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:I will throw one more trade out there just to stir the pot: Hayward to Miami for Winslow/Dragic
and how many first round picks do we get?
Tiny ball
Veteran

Post#1550 » by Tiny ball » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:50 pm

100proof wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
100proof wrote:
I agree.

Thats 16, 4.5 and 2.5 over 25 minutes.

That rozier level play at twice the price. No thanks. I wamt alot more.
I think the idea is to win championship.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#1551 » by Darth Celtic » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:55 pm

I need to see some Hayward workout videos. Last 2 years were so out there for everyone with the first year in Boston, then the rehab. I can see why it's private, but other that he sold his home and lives in Boston and is working out with Boston staff daily, lost a little weight, we haven't heard much.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#1552 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:31 am

Tiny ball wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:I will throw one more trade out there just to stir the pot: Hayward to Miami for Winslow/Dragic

Six
Tiny ball
Veteran

Post#1553 » by Tiny ball » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:04 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
Tiny ball wrote:

Six

Fair trade. I would Do it.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#1554 » by Slartibartfast » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:02 pm

What would be the point of trading Hayward to add to our perimeter glut?

I think KO/James Johnson would make more sense from a positional perspective.

KO as the stretch/skill 5 we sorely lack. And Johnson as the beefy combo forward to replace Morris. Probably wouldn't do that trade, but that type of trade is what I think you have to shoot for to balance the roster.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,275

Post#1555 » by Parliament10 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:09 pm

"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#1556 » by GregB » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:20 am

Parliament10 wrote:

Gordon smiled a bit when the reporter asked him if he talked to Kyrie.

Overall, He looks pretty confident. Crazy to think we have 4 players on FIBA team and he’s not one of them. Excited for next year.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#1557 » by cloverleaf » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:25 am

Darth Celtic wrote:I need to see some Hayward workout videos. Last 2 years were so out there for everyone with the first year in Boston, then the rehab. I can see why it's private, but other that he sold his home and lives in Boston and is working out with Boston staff daily, lost a little weight, we haven't heard much.

It is a little surprising that he hasn't seemed to seek out some good-level offseason games to be a part of, but it is pretty hard for us to micromanage his rehab and training from here.
yeahM8
Starter
And1: 3,673

Post#1558 » by yeahM8 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:48 am

I like his demeanour and seems like he is really focused on getting back to 100%. I **** love that.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#1559 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:21 am

I really appreciate the fact that he decided to stay in Boston to keep working with the team's trainers and coaches. He could have went home to San Diego, but opted to sell his home and stay in Boston. There aren't too many max players that do that anymore.

I think he is coming into training camp with a huge chip on his shoulder. He probably wants to show everyone what he is capable of. I can't wait to see him out there this year.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#1560 » by Darth Celtic » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:00 pm

Wyc said he was in boston and working out with celtics trainers at our center 3.5 to 4 hours a day 7 days a week. Love hearing that. Wyc says he looks amazing. we'll see, there is hope.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets

Return to Boston Celtics