ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston Vincent Poirier!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Re: Welcome to Boston Vincent Poirier! 

Post#261 » by Elrod is Back » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:36 am

Darth Celtic wrote:
Elrod is Back wrote:Poirier looks like he has a legit shot at rotation minutes. There is going to be some competition there, too.

From what I have seen so far, I guess Poirier will fill Baynes role and mins. Kanter will do Horford, maybe a min or so less a game. Williams will play spot mins as a 1 on 1 defender. Theis will fill same role and mins, when we need a stretch big to shoot some 3's and hope his defense is better this year.

Everyone with inside info say the timelord was a 2 year project before he got his chance. Makes sense as Kanter/Poirer/Theis can all get out of contracts after 1 year, and we have 3 picks again next year.

That certainly makes sense going into training camp. I think there may also be a forward battle between Semi and Grant Williams for scrap minutes.

My hope is that Brad thinks about how the team will be in April when he allocate minutes in November and December. If there are players who can and will improve with playing time, I might take lumps in the fall to have the strongest possible team in April. R. Williams, G. Williams and Poirier woudl seem to fit that description., Edwards, too, in the backcourt.
BfB
Analyst
And1: 3,118

Post#262 » by BfB » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:36 am

Elrod is Back wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:
Elrod is Back wrote:Poirier looks like he has a legit shot at rotation minutes. There is going to be some competition there, too.

From what I have seen so far, I guess Poirier will fill Baynes role and mins. Kanter will do Horford, maybe a min or so less a game. Williams will play spot mins as a 1 on 1 defender. Theis will fill same role and mins, when we need a stretch big to shoot some 3's and hope his defense is better this year.

Everyone with inside info say the timelord was a 2 year project before he got his chance. Makes sense as Kanter/Poirer/Theis can all get out of contracts after 1 year, and we have 3 picks again next year.

That certainly makes sense going into training camp. I think there may also be a forward battle between Semi and Grant Williams for scrap minutes.

My hope is that Brad thinks about how the team will be in April when he allocate minutes in November and December. If there are players who can and will improve with playing time, I might take lumps in the fall to have the strongest possible team in April. R. Williams, G. Williams and Poirier woudl seem to fit that description., Edwards, too, in the backcourt.

Brad typically “samples” matchup and line up combos throughout the first half of the year and shows different looks throughout. Last season was no different, it just felt worse. Stevens is best at getting looks at his options.

Should be an extremely interesting season from a multitude of depth positions. Biggest thing for me is Kemba being cool with sub-fifteen shots per game on the nights he doesn’t have it. There’s no room for excess, especially from the leader, for this to hit its high point.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#263 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:43 am

I think Semi is probably ready for the backup 4 and that Grant may struggle early.

I don’t get the center spot, though. Like, I love Kanter, he can be a 20-10 player with minutes, but.. does he figure out defense this year? Do they think they can hide him defensively? This is the team who has already cycled through David Lee and Greg Monroe..

His play with Portland helped him - he’s young enough he could finally “get it” defensively, but all the offseason buzz is about him shooting threes. Like, I want to hear that he hired Zaza Pachulia to fix his defense.

They may be betting on Theis, who’s had his adjustment to the NBA slowed by injuries. If he can shoot threes, has his athleticism back, and has the smarts and experience to get the most out of his skillset, he can put up a good 15-20 minutes a night.

Williams isn’t ready, but he should get more minutes, and he’s shown enough that trading for a big isn’t vital. I wonder if this is a stopgap year where they roll the dice on Kanter/Theis/Poirier in the hope Williams will be ready next season.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#264 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:49 am

BfB wrote:
Elrod is Back wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:From what I have seen so far, I guess Poirier will fill Baynes role and mins. Kanter will do Horford, maybe a min or so less a game. Williams will play spot mins as a 1 on 1 defender. Theis will fill same role and mins, when we need a stretch big to shoot some 3's and hope his defense is better this year.

Brad typically “samples” matchup and line up combos throughout the first half of the year and shows different looks throughout. Last season was no different, it just felt worse. Stevens is best at getting looks at his options.

Should be an extremely interesting season from a multitude of depth positions. Biggest thing for me is Kemba being cool with sub-fifteen shots per game on the nights he doesn’t have it. There’s no room for excess, especially from the leader, for this to hit its high point.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Well, and on the nights Kemba doesn’t have it, does anyone else? Consistency has been an issue with Brown, Tatum and Hayward.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,267

Post#265 » by Gant » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:19 pm

Some Poirier highlights vs Brazil in which he shows he can pass, and can get some buckets that aren't from dunks:

Read on Twitter
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#266 » by Roddy » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:05 pm

The whole video of game highlights.

Skip to 3:25 if you want to see Poirier (#17).

Paul_Stepback
Sophomore
And1: 155

Post#267 » by Paul_Stepback » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:10 pm

I like Poirier. I think he will give us some "Faverani" type of excitement for a season or so.....
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,389

Post#268 » by Triple7 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:24 pm

Gant wrote:Some Poirier highlights vs Brazil in which he shows he can pass, and can get some buckets that aren't from dunks:

Read on Twitter

Not bad at all!
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#269 » by 31to6 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:37 am

Triple7 wrote:
Gant wrote:Some Poirier highlights vs Brazil in which he shows he can pass, and can get some buckets that aren't from dunks:

Read on Twitter

Not bad at all!

Where did the Arvydas Sabonas passing game come from? I like it! Fingers crossed he can fill the Baynes role.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Celtics_History_Lesson
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,267

Post#270 » by Celtics_History_Lesson » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:39 pm

That Perrier game was very good, he and his team.

Boston fans haven't seen passing and shooting like that in a while.

Passing the ball to someone in the paint, something new too.
Roddy
Head Coach

Post#271 » by Roddy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:58 pm

http://www.teamfrancebasket.com/game/414156

Poirier : 11 minutes, 10 points (5/8), 4 rebounds (2off-2def), 2 assists, 1 turnover
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#272 » by Slartibartfast » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:11 pm

So good rebounder, good lob finisher, good screener, good short roll passer, decent shot blocker, poor lateral defender is the emerging scouting report.

He sounds like a useful player. Just his strengths and weaknesses are a bit redundant with Kanter and RWIII.
Roddy
Head Coach

Post#273 » by Roddy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:55 pm

Italy 80-82 France http://www.teamfrancebasket.com/game/414157

Poirier : 14 minutes, 5 points (1/3), 1 steal. Stats are not great, but he was very good. Once again bad on the FT line (3/6).

He was on the floor with Gobert for like 5 minutes...zone defense, italians were too impressed to go in the paint :lol: .

Our old friend Luigi Datome was playing too !
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#274 » by Slartibartfast » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:26 pm

Roddy wrote:Italy 80-82 France http://www.teamfrancebasket.com/game/414157

Poirier : 14 minutes, 5 points (1/3), 1 steal. Stats are not great, but he was very good. Once again bad on the FT line (3/6).

He was on the floor with Gobert for like 5 minutes...zone defense, italians were too impressed to go in the paint :lol: .

How do you think France will do? Really like their balance of talent and length.
Roddy
Head Coach

Post#275 » by Roddy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:46 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
Roddy wrote:Italy 80-82 France http://www.teamfrancebasket.com/game/414157

How do you think France will do? Really like their balance of talent and length.

I like our chances. But we miss offensive weapons. De Colo and Fournier can score. Batum is way too inconsistent, Gobert and Poirier are not really good on offense except under the basket (dunks and layups).

Our defense should be our big strenght. Like you said, length is amazing with Gobert, Poirier, Ntilikina, Batum...

If De Colo or Fournier are in a bad day on offense, I fear that this team will be unable to win against the good teams of this tournament.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,204

Post#276 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Sep 9, 2019 2:19 pm

Read on Twitter
CeltsfaninDC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,335

Post#277 » by CeltsfaninDC » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:31 pm

France is playing Argentina LIVE on right now ESPN News (I think, its one of the ESPN channels)
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,204

Post#278 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:54 am

Read on Twitter

WE WILL FORGET AL HORFORD BILL RUSSELL WAS EVER A CELTIC!
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,625

Post#279 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:39 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:WE WILL FORGET AL HORFORD BILL RUSSELL WAS EVER A CELTIC!

Umm ... no. Just no.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#280 » by return2glory » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:16 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

WE WILL FORGET AL HORFORD BILL RUSSELL WAS EVER A CELTIC!

He is a good pick up. He is a taller, more athletic Baynes. Better rebounder too.

Return to Boston Celtics