ImageImageImage

Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player

Moderators: Froob, canman1971, The Comedian, Parliament10, djFan71, ParticleMan, sully00

return2glory
RealGM
Posts: 14,054
And1: 6,032
Joined: Feb 24, 2005

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1241 » by return2glory » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:51 pm

Taget wrote:
return2glory wrote:Two things about that conversation:

1. It’s not that Jaylen is young or naive. That’s borderline arrogant and ignorant. For a guy that thinks of himself as super intelligent, time and time again he proves to people he isn’t. What makes you even try to compare the team you play on to arguably the greatest basketball team in NBA history?


That is part of being an elite basketball player. Being fearless and feeling like your worthy to go one-on-one with anyone. To stand toe-to-toe with Lebron and not back down. I'd be more worried if he asked Danny if he might be the next Brian Scalabrine!


In some cases yes, but Jaylen isn’t elite.
return2glory
RealGM
Posts: 14,054
And1: 6,032
Joined: Feb 24, 2005

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1242 » by return2glory » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:01 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
return2glory wrote:Two things about that conversation:

1. It’s not that Jaylen is young or naive. That’s borderline arrogant and ignorant. For a guy that thinks of himself as super intelligent, time and time again he proves to people he isn’t. What makes you even try to compare the team you play on to arguably the greatest basketball team in NBA history?

2. Having seen anyone mention this yet. But Danny calling Larry Bird one of the greatest Celtics of all-time in his prime is an understatement. No Danny, Bird in his prime was one of the greatest players of all-time.

Yet you can argue Bill was right there too. 11 rings.

If I had to put them in order, I would also put Bird as 1 and Bill as 2, but I did grow up watching basketball in the early 80's and like Jaylen, have to take others words for it when it comes to Russel's greatness.


With Bird and Russell is agree. One and two in any order. Never seen Russell play but his greatness including stats and rings says it all.

As far as Jaylen taken other people’s words, that’s a whole different story. It’s not like he is asking who was Lebron or Jordan. He is asking more like Horford or Hakeem. No comparison.

That was a complete insult to the 1986 team and plain stupidity. That’s one of the greatest team of not the greatest ever. Comparing that last year’s team who hadn’t accomplished anything, says a lot about Jaylen.
100proof
Junior
Posts: 292
And1: 215
Joined: Jul 25, 2019
 

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1243 » by 100proof » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:47 am

I still dont see it with Jaylen.

For me its still him questioning Ainge as to if he thinks he is done building the team. I firmly believe Jaylen wants to be the best he can, but he wanted to know if Ainge felt the same about him amd the team.

And i dont believe for one second he did.



And then there is just the fun of a debate. Its what makes forums great.


I just think some are putting far too much stock into it all.
cloverleaf
Head Coach
Posts: 6,550
And1: 3,809
Joined: Feb 10, 2007

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1244 » by cloverleaf » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:06 pm

I really don't get this "Marcus as captain" thing from Blakely. Smart at this point appears to be a bench player who is just maybe getting his own behaviorial issues under control. He is unlikely to ever be even a top-3 player on a legit contender. Kemba doesn't deserve this insult. Tatum needs to continue to emerge as a young leader on the floor. JB unlikely to take it well. Better to hold off for another year if needing to do this at all, but I really don't see the point. Seems more divisive than unifying.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/blakely-smart-should-be-captain-celtics?int
cloverleaf
Head Coach
Posts: 6,550
And1: 3,809
Joined: Feb 10, 2007

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1245 » by cloverleaf » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:12 pm

100proof wrote:I still dont see it with Jaylen.

For me its still him questioning Ainge as to if he thinks he is done building the team. I firmly believe Jaylen wants to be the best he can, but he wanted to know if Ainge felt the same about him amd the team.

And i dont believe for one second he did.



And then there is just the fun of a debate. Its what makes forums great.


I just think some are putting far too much stock into it all.


Have you heard JB with his riff on becoming an NBA player as he has being the same thing as becoming a successful tech entrepreneur, and that because he has succeeded at the former he'd be just as successful at the latter? Just like he was learning Arabic and a keen linguist a couple of years ago because he was learning to count to 10 in the language. And a musician because he was working on his piano chops--as in Chopsticks. The dude is a deluded narcissist. Doesn't really matter (see: Kyrie) as long as he keeps improving as a basketball player.
Triple7
Veteran
Posts: 2,540
And1: 1,512
Joined: Aug 23, 2018
 

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1246 » by Triple7 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:17 pm

cloverleaf wrote:I really don't get this "Marcus as captain" thing from Blakely. Smart at this point appears to be a bench player who is just maybe getting his own behaviorial issues under control. He is unlikely to ever be even a top-3 player on a legit contender. Kemba doesn't deserve this insult. Tatum needs to continue to emerge as a young leader on the floor. JB unlikely to take it well. Better to hold off for another year if needing to do this at all, but I really don't see the point. Seems more divisive than unifying.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/blakely-smart-should-be-captain-celtics?int


Like Blakely really knows what’s happening behind closed doors. If we want to have a successful team, our best player should have a definite role on leadership. Kemba is our best player right now, he should take that leadership role on the team. Smart of course could also be a veteran leader. More like a Draymond, Haslem type of leader.
cloverleaf
Head Coach
Posts: 6,550
And1: 3,809
Joined: Feb 10, 2007

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1247 » by cloverleaf » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:29 pm

Triple7 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:I really don't get this "Marcus as captain" thing from Blakely. Smart at this point appears to be a bench player who is just maybe getting his own behaviorial issues under control. He is unlikely to ever be even a top-3 player on a legit contender. Kemba doesn't deserve this insult. Tatum needs to continue to emerge as a young leader on the floor. JB unlikely to take it well. Better to hold off for another year if needing to do this at all, but I really don't see the point. Seems more divisive than unifying.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/blakely-smart-should-be-captain-celtics?int


Like Blakely really knows what’s happening behind closed doors. If we want to have a successful team, our best player should have a definite role on leadership. Kemba is our best player right now, he should take that leadership role on the team. Smart of course could also be a veteran leader. More like a Draymond, Haslem type of leader.


Agreed, and he is probably among a few who especially after last year realize they need to step forward a bit more on leadership this year. Apparently already well respected, and if he does come off the bench he could be the de facto D/bench leader while Kemba is the de facto O/starters leader. But no need to push it more than what he is and does naturally.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
Posts: 18,359
And1: 5,739
Joined: Jun 18, 2004
 

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1248 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:42 pm

cloverleaf wrote:I really don't get this "Marcus as captain" thing from Blakely. Smart at this point appears to be a bench player who is just maybe getting his own behaviorial issues under control. He is unlikely to ever be even a top-3 player on a legit contender. Kemba doesn't deserve this insult. Tatum needs to continue to emerge as a young leader on the floor. JB unlikely to take it well. Better to hold off for another year if needing to do this at all, but I really don't see the point. Seems more divisive than unifying.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/blakely-smart-should-be-captain-celtics?int


Eh, if we weren’t a captainless team the top options would be Smart and Kemba. Smart was by far the best player last year at saying the right things to the press, so he probably has the same aptitude in talking to his teammates. Apart from a couple of incidents of “behavioral issues” he also leads by example better than anyone we’ve had - unselfish, relentless defense, dives on the floor, never quits..
100proof
Junior
Posts: 292
And1: 215
Joined: Jul 25, 2019
 

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1249 » by 100proof » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:53 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
100proof wrote:I still dont see it with Jaylen.

For me its still him questioning Ainge as to if he thinks he is done building the team. I firmly believe Jaylen wants to be the best he can, but he wanted to know if Ainge felt the same about him amd the team.

And i dont believe for one second he did.



And then there is just the fun of a debate. Its what makes forums great.


I just think some are putting far too much stock into it all.


Have you heard JB with his riff on becoming an NBA player as he has being the same thing as becoming a successful tech entrepreneur, and that because he has succeeded at the former he'd be just as successful at the latter? Just like he was learning Arabic and a keen linguist a couple of years ago because he was learning to count to 10 in the language. And a musician because he was working on his piano chops--as in Chopsticks. The dude is a deluded narcissist. Doesn't really matter (see: Kyrie) as long as he keeps improving as a basketball player.


I think thag is a bit of an oversimplification of his out of basketball ibterests and activities.

All the educators and tests he has taken has shown him to be have an above average intellect.

And learning does come in progression. My daughter is in french immersion school and guess what they starting learning......numbers.

I think its really nitpicking at this point.
cloverleaf
Head Coach
Posts: 6,550
And1: 3,809
Joined: Feb 10, 2007

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1250 » by cloverleaf » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:54 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:I really don't get this "Marcus as captain" thing from Blakely. Smart at this point appears to be a bench player who is just maybe getting his own behaviorial issues under control. He is unlikely to ever be even a top-3 player on a legit contender. Kemba doesn't deserve this insult. Tatum needs to continue to emerge as a young leader on the floor. JB unlikely to take it well. Better to hold off for another year if needing to do this at all, but I really don't see the point. Seems more divisive than unifying.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/blakely-smart-should-be-captain-celtics?int


Eh, if we weren’t a captainless team the top options would be Smart and Kemba. Smart was by far the best player last year at saying the right things to the press, so he probably has the same aptitude in talking to his teammates. Apart from a couple of incidents of “behavioral issues” he also leads by example better than anyone we’ve had - unselfish, relentless defense, dives on the floor, never quits..


As I posted above, Kemba is probably the de facto captain of the O/starters, Smart of the D/bench. But putting that title on Smart at least this year, given all the dynamics, would probably be a bad, insulting and divisive idea.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
Posts: 18,359
And1: 5,739
Joined: Jun 18, 2004
 

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1251 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:00 pm

I don’t think it would be bad, insulting (to Kemba, who just joined the roster? Smart is all-NBA as a defender - he’s no chump), or divisive - it’s just not how Stevens runs things.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
Posts: 18,359
And1: 5,739
Joined: Jun 18, 2004
 

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1252 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:04 pm

Jaylen Brown, by the way, isn’t a “deluded narcissist”, he’s just kind of a dilettante and he doesn’t understand the significant distance between playing chopsticks and being a piano player, learning Arabic numerals and knowing the language. Or maybe he does, and we should check on him in 25 years when he’s a bilingual tech entrepreneur who can read music and play Bach like Glenn Gould..
LuckyLeprechaun
Senior
Posts: 630
And1: 676
Joined: Jul 24, 2015
 

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1253 » by LuckyLeprechaun » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:44 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Jaylen Brown, by the way, isn’t a “deluded narcissist”, he’s just kind of a dilettante and he doesn’t understand the significant distance between playing chopsticks and being a piano player, learning Arabic numerals and knowing the language. Or maybe he does, and we should check on him in 25 years when he’s a bilingual tech entrepreneur who can read music and play Bach like Glenn Gould..
Yeah the message board psychologists have really been getting out of hand with Jaylen. Most of the posters on this message board show as much narcissism in their posts that Jaylen has shown so far.
Jurry
RealGM
Posts: 39,300
And1: 22,872
Joined: Mar 25, 2009

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1254 » by Jurry » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:19 pm

Leadership roles in sports are formed organically, they aren't chosen and appointed roles. It can literally be any guy or guys in the clubhouse, you have to be in the trenches with that group (any group) to understand how their social dynamics work.
Ernest
Junior
Posts: 250
And1: 204
Joined: Jun 16, 2019
 

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1255 » by Ernest » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:41 am

Well having no captain last year really didn't work out so well. So if we want one this year, who can it be other than Smart? Can you make a guy captain on day 1? or year 3? Smart may well come off the bench though, but really it's just about fit not talent. Kemba and Tatum and maybe Brown should all be better than him, but I haven't seen in in green yet. Until someone consistantly outplays him in a Cs jersey, he is out best player in my book.
Bill Bradley
RealGM
Posts: 13,157
And1: 1,534
Joined: Mar 03, 2005
Location: Boston
 

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1256 » by Bill Bradley » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:17 am

LuckyLeprechaun wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:Jaylen Brown, by the way, isn’t a “deluded narcissist”, he’s just kind of a dilettante and he doesn’t understand the significant distance between playing chopsticks and being a piano player, learning Arabic numerals and knowing the language. Or maybe he does, and we should check on him in 25 years when he’s a bilingual tech entrepreneur who can read music and play Bach like Glenn Gould..
Yeah the message board psychologists have really been getting out of hand with Jaylen. Most of the posters on this message board show as much narcissism in their posts that Jaylen has shown so far.


As a real life psychologist, Jaylen strikes me as well adjusted, intelligent, and mature for someone his age. I have not understood why he’s so often a target on this board.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 35,254
And1: 11,914
Joined: Jun 26, 2003
Location: Big 3 will crush the east!
     

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1257 » by Darth Celtic » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:02 am

It's ok, Prokorov is letting us know that Joe Harris had a better season that both Jaylen and Tatum last year....
Prokorov "My first hand sources are agents of players who heard it from the players, first hand, from other players who were there first hand told by a assistant gm who saw it on Reddit"
User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 24,654
And1: 23,606
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1258 » by Parliament10 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:24 am

NBA OFFICIAL RULE BOOK

RULE NO 3: Players, Substitutes and Coaches
https://official.nba.com/rule-no-3-players-substitutes-and-coaches/

Section III—The Captain
A team may have a captain and a co-captain numbering a maximum of two. The designated captain may be anyone on the active list who is in uniform, except a player-coach.
The designated captain is the only player who may ask an official about a rule interpretation during a timeout charged to his team. He may not discuss a judgment decision.
If the designated captain continues to sit on the bench, he remains the captain for the entire game.
In the event that the captain is absent from the court and bench, his coach shall immediately designate a new captain.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Though I cannot find the information, an NBA Captain is usually the longest-tenured player, or the best player.
He's usually chosen by the Coach. And, there can also be 1 Co-Captain.

Marcus Smart, is in fact, the longest tenured Celtic. And IMO, the de facto Captain, as he's becoming more mature.
However, Kemba & Smart can be Captain & Co-Captain. Kemba just got here, though.


http://www.layups.com/10-attributes-of-a-good-team-captain/





cloverleaf wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:I really don't get this "Marcus as captain" thing from Blakely. Smart at this point appears to be a bench player who is just maybe getting his own behaviorial issues under control. He is unlikely to ever be even a top-3 player on a legit contender. Kemba doesn't deserve this insult. Tatum needs to continue to emerge as a young leader on the floor. JB unlikely to take it well. Better to hold off for another year if needing to do this at all, but I really don't see the point. Seems more divisive than unifying.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/blakely-smart-should-be-captain-celtics?int


Like Blakely really knows what’s happening behind closed doors. If we want to have a successful team, our best player should have a definite role on leadership. Kemba is our best player right now, he should take that leadership role on the team. Smart of course could also be a veteran leader. More like a Draymond, Haslem type of leader.


Agreed, and he is probably among a few who especially after last year realize they need to step forward a bit more on leadership this year. Apparently already well respected, and if he does come off the bench he could be the de facto D/bench leader while Kemba is the de facto O/starters leader. But no need to push it more than what he is and does naturally.


cloverleaf wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:I really don't get this "Marcus as captain" thing from Blakely. Smart at this point appears to be a bench player who is just maybe getting his own behaviorial issues under control. He is unlikely to ever be even a top-3 player on a legit contender. Kemba doesn't deserve this insult. Tatum needs to continue to emerge as a young leader on the floor. JB unlikely to take it well. Better to hold off for another year if needing to do this at all, but I really don't see the point. Seems more divisive than unifying.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/blakely-smart-should-be-captain-celtics?int


Eh, if we weren’t a captainless team the top options would be Smart and Kemba. Smart was by far the best player last year at saying the right things to the press, so he probably has the same aptitude in talking to his teammates. Apart from a couple of incidents of “behavioral issues” he also leads by example better than anyone we’ve had - unselfish, relentless defense, dives on the floor, never quits..


As I posted above, Kemba is probably the de facto captain of the O/starters, Smart of the D/bench. But putting that title on Smart at least this year, given all the dynamics, would probably be a bad, insulting and divisive idea.
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,829
And1: 21,203
Joined: Dec 29, 2014

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1259 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:15 am

Darth Celtic wrote:It's ok, Prokorov is letting us know that Joe Harris had a better season that both Jaylen and Tatum last year....


This is my favorite clip of Joe Harris in last years playoffs [spoiler: it was him in every game]

Image
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
Posts: 18,359
And1: 5,739
Joined: Jun 18, 2004
 

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1260 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:20 am

Bill Bradley wrote:
LuckyLeprechaun wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:Jaylen Brown, by the way, isn’t a “deluded narcissist”, he’s just kind of a dilettante and he doesn’t understand the significant distance between playing chopsticks and being a piano player, learning Arabic numerals and knowing the language. Or maybe he does, and we should check on him in 25 years when he’s a bilingual tech entrepreneur who can read music and play Bach like Glenn Gould..
Yeah the message board psychologists have really been getting out of hand with Jaylen. Most of the posters on this message board show as much narcissism in their posts that Jaylen has shown so far.


As a real life psychologist, Jaylen strikes me as well adjusted, intelligent, and mature for someone his age. I have not understood why he’s so often a target on this board.


I think you may need to explain to the gallery how a well adjusted, intelligent, and mature person (for their age) can still say or think something foolish or naive.

Return to Boston Celtics