ImageImageImageImage

ESPN Pelton projection has the magic as the #4 seed.

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,077

ESPN Pelton projection has the magic as the #4 seed. 

Post#1 » by bigdogdylan5 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:53 pm

I don’t have ESPN plus but can someone summarize what he says for justifying the magic as the 4th seed?
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Re: ESPN Pelton projection has the magic as the #4 seed. 

Post#2 » by drsd » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:39 pm

Last year's 4-seed in the East had 49 wins. That is a good target for Orlando to (over)achieve for.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,649

Post#3 » by thelead » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:38 pm

A bit high for 'realistic' expectations but I could see it happening. Vuc and Ross have to maintain their level of play while AG, JI, Bamba OR Fultz take a big step forward. If two of those young guys improve and Vuc and Ross maintain their level of play, watch out. I could easily see a scenario where the vets take a small step back, the young guys don't improve as much as we want and injuries become an issue. In that scenario, we'll be in the 6-9 range.
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#4 » by nymets1 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:10 pm

I don't know if we reach the 4th seed but this year its possible. The 4th seed would be the highest possible ceiling for us and the 8th seed/ not make the playoffs would be the floor. The 4th seed is possible because there's only 2 clear top teams in the East(Bucks and Sixers). I still think the Raptors get the 3rd seed cause they proved last year they are really good when Kawhi didn't play. The 4th seed is up for grabs.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,147

Post#5 » by Def Swami » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:55 pm

He has us at about 46 wins. This is more about the rest of the East being pretty weak, but I'll take it if it plays out this way.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#6 » by MagicFan101 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:20 pm

4. Orlando Magic
Average wins: 46.5
Playoffs: 93%

He talking about a surprise jump for Orlando that shouldn’t be a surprise to those paying attention to the small details.

As someone who greatly appreciated both moves, I loved how he indirectly pointed out that we essentially swapped Grant + Simmons for Fultz + AFA on what was already a playoff roster. True, he never actually mentioned Fultz but it’s understood.

Outside of Milwaukee, Boston and Philly who else is in East can anyone honestly check off as clearly being a league above Orlando? IMO we are right in the thick of it with that next handful of teams.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#7 » by MagicFan101 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:26 pm

Def Swami wrote:This is more about the rest of the East being pretty weak.

That might be your opinion (and I don’t fully disagree) but that isn’t the argument Pelton made in the article with regards to this upcoming season.
drsd
RealGM

Post#8 » by drsd » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:07 am

nymets1 wrote:I don't know if we reach the 4th seed but this year its possible. The 4th seed would be the highest possible ceiling for us and the 8th seed/ not make the playoffs would be the floor. The 4th seed is possible because there's only 2 clear top teams in the East(Bucks and Sixers). I still think the Raptors get the 3rd seed cause they proved last year they are really good when Kawhi didn't play. The 4th seed is up for grabs.

I see the Magic range as from #3 - to - #10; way to much variance in the system this year. I think #4 is a good target and anything less than #6 should lead to fan concern.

Def Swami wrote:He has us at about 46 wins. This is more about the rest of the East being pretty weak, but I'll take it if it plays out this way.

At 46, last year this would have been the #6 seed.

drsd
RealGM

Post#9 » by drsd » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:16 am

MagicFan101 wrote:4. Orlando Magic

He talking about a surprise jump for Orlando that shouldn’t be a surprise to those paying attention to the small details.

As someone who greatly appreciated both moves, I loved how he indirectly pointed out that we essentially swapped Grant + Simmons for Fultz + AFA on what was already a playoff roster. True, he never actually mentioned Fultz but it’s understood.

Outside of Milwaukee, Boston and Philly who else is in East can anyone honestly check off as clearly being a league above Orlando? IMO we are right in the thick of it with that next handful of teams.

Comparing to last years opening roster:
Augustin/Grant/Briscoe
Fournier/Ross/Frazier
Isaac/Iwundu
Gordon/Martin
Vučević/Bamba/Birch/Mozgov

to the projection coming:
Augustin/Fultz/Carter-Williams
Fournier/Ross/Frazier
Isaac/Iwundu
Gordon/Aminu
Vučević/Bamba/Birch

It is unambiguous that:
1) Fultz is an upgrade over Grant
2) Carter-Williams is at least as good as Briscoe
3) Aminu is an upgrade over Martin

So the Magic bench is better than last year.

Add to that expected growth in Isaac and Gordon, and a potential bounce-back year for Fournier, if Vučević and Ross play to 90% of their contract years last year, AND stay as healthy as they did last year (unlikely), this Magic team would win over 50 games. To many "ifs" to feel like a 50+ win season is probable, but it is possible. (Last year, 51 wins was the #3 seed).

Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,648

Post#10 » by Howard Mass » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:27 pm

I've felt for a while the 4th seed should be the goal.

Sure, this team had Nikola Vucevic and Terrence Ross having career years and DJ Augustin give the performance of his career at point guard but this team has room to grow with the new winning culture and development of Aaron Gordon and Jonathan Issac, Markelle Fultz and Mo Bamba.

The nine-man rotation from last season is also all returning.

The only additions are

Al-Farouq Aminu who replaces Jarell Martin (Signed with Cleveland).

and

Josh Magette (Two-Way Deal) who replaces Troy Caupain (Unsigned).

Jerian Grant (China), Timofey Mozgov (Waived/Stretched and off to Russia) are off to Russia leaving 2 open roster spots.

We still do not now the deal with Chuma Okeke and if his signing will be delayed.

There is also the DeQuan Jeffries situation and how close the team is to the Luxury Tax.

The X factor and other addition is Markelle Fultz. He did not play following the deadline deal that brought him to Orlando but he has the potential to change everything.

When you look at the competition in the East, Philadelphia and Milwaukee are considered the top teams.

After that of other playoff contenders outside of Brooklyn (No Durant), Boston, Indiana (Oladipo out a few months), Miami, Detroit and Toronto, I feel The Magic will be in the mix and #4 is a realistic goal.

Of course, this team will need to be healthy and things stable at point guard but I like this teams chances.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
doct3r dr3
RealGM
And1: 2,505

Post#11 » by doct3r dr3 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:01 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:Reached for a 2nd round talent in Nicholson.
3ddman23
General Manager
And1: 2,610

Post#12 » by 3ddman23 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:06 pm

drsd wrote:

Augustin/Grant/Briscoe
Fournier/Ross/Frazier
Isaac/Iwundu
Gordon/Martin

Fournier/Ross/Frazier
Isaac/Iwundu
Gordon/Aminu
Vučević/Bamba/Birch

It is unambiguous that:

Add to that expected growth in Isaac and Gordon, and a potential bounce-back year for Fournier, if Vučević and Ross play to 90% of their contract years last year, AND stay as healthy as they did last year (unlikely), this Magic team would win over 50 games. To many "ifs" to feel like a 50+ win season is probable, but it is possible. (Last year, 51 wins was the #3 seed).

This is exactly how I see it. Its more about depth from the bench now then anytbing else. The internal growth will be big from Gordon,issac, bamba and hopefully fultz.

While i dont see then getting to 50 wins I can definitely see 45-48 wins.
GO MAGIC
Magic#1
General Manager
And1: 1,108

Post#13 » by Magic#1 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:42 pm

I guess it's possible but I think #4 is too high. If you look at the top eight last year, Toronto is the only team that has a severe drop off. I'm not convinced Boston is going to fall off either while Brooklyn has had another year to develop and Detroit has another year of chemistry. Pacers added Brogdon, etc. Us taking the next step is hinging on some players taking MAJOR steps forward. I see us maybe moving up one spot to the #6 seed but even that will be tough.
Driguez
General Manager
And1: 2,022

Post#14 » by Driguez » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:30 pm

It's way too early, but I can see it happening. Home court would be ideal, but I'm OK with comfortably getting to the PO.
"We all we got"- SVG
3ddman23
General Manager
And1: 2,610

Post#15 » by 3ddman23 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:39 pm

Magic#1 wrote:I guess it's possible but I think #4 is too high. If you look at the top eight last year, Toronto is the only team that has a severe drop off. I'm not convinced Boston is going to fall off either while Brooklyn has had another year to develop and Detroit has another year of chemistry. Pacers added Brogdon, etc. Us taking the next step is hinging on some players taking MAJOR steps forward. I see us maybe moving up one spot to the #6 seed but even that will be tough.

All of those teams aside from maybe Detroit made major roster over hauls though. The time needed to gel and get familiar is really underestimated and what will I believe help the magic next season in the long run.
GO MAGIC
Magic#1
General Manager
And1: 1,108

Post#16 » by Magic#1 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:35 pm

3ddman23 wrote:
Magic#1 wrote:I guess it's possible but I think #4 is too high. If you look at the top eight last year, Toronto is the only team that has a severe drop off. I'm not convinced Boston is going to fall off either while Brooklyn has had another year to develop and Detroit has another year of chemistry. Pacers added Brogdon, etc. Us taking the next step is hinging on some players taking MAJOR steps forward. I see us maybe moving up one spot to the #6 seed but even that will be tough.

All of those teams aside from maybe Detroit made major roster over hauls though. The time needed to gel and get familiar is really underestimated and what will I believe help the magic next season in the long run.

Possibly. I certainly hope you're right. But I think you've also got to consider that teams have also had an offseason to watch tape of us and won't be caught off guard anymore. Certainly most up and coming teams benefit from staying together, but the main benefit is that they have immensely talented players who get much better. I'm not convinced our players will get that much better or that Vooch/Ross will have repeat years (still very good though).
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,150

Post#17 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:04 am

We will have a top 10 defense this year, Cliff will make sure of it, unless something goes really bad which is unlikely. There is a good shot at the 4th seed as a result, specially in the east.
aka: prorl
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,064

Post#18 » by The Real Dalic » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:54 am

drsd wrote:

Augustin/Grant/Briscoe
Fournier/Ross/Frazier
Isaac/Iwundu
Gordon/Martin

Fournier/Ross/Frazier
Isaac/Iwundu
Gordon/Aminu
Vučević/Bamba/Birch

It is unambiguous that:

You forgot Jonathan Simmons and all the games he cost us.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
paperboymafia
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#19 » by paperboymafia » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:48 am

If we remain healthy #4 should be the goal but expectations remain playoffs and general improvement.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,284

Post#20 » by pepe1991 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:53 am

At least watching draft prospects from day 1 isn't required to follow season any more :lol:
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon

Return to Orlando Magic