ImageImageImageImageImage

Best big for Lakers? (Howard or McGee)

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

With Boogie out, what center should the Lakers sign / trade for?

Kenneth Faried (FA)
16%
Nerlens Noel (trade)
8%
Dwight Howard (FA)
29%
Timofey Mozgov (FA)
2%
Marcin Gortat (FA)
8%
Amir Johnson (FA)
2%
Joakim Noah (FA)
26%
Tristan Thompson (trade)
3%
Other
6%

Total votes: 62

stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,540

Re: Best big for Lakers? (update LA interested in Dwight) 

Post#61 » by stan francisco » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:48 pm

If Howard is our way to get Iggy and if we also sign Bogut or Noah, let’s do it, then drop Howard the next day.

Howard’s max value to us if he doesn’t play, doesn’t ride the pine, not even uses the locker room.

KCP, Cook, Daniels...

Iggy would be a huge addition.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
tviper
Sixth Man
And1: 260

Re: Dwight Howard..... 

Post#62 » by tviper » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:56 am

zimpy27 wrote:
tviper wrote:Of course, nobody wants Dwight anywhere near the Lakers roster, but here is one scenario that I could see on Dec. 15th. Take on Dwight in order to get Iggy. Two separate trades for the money to work.

Trade 1
KCP $8,089,282
Cook $3,000,000
Daniels $1,620,564
Total $12,709,846
Total for trade $17,709,846
Iggy = $17,185,185

Trade 2
Cousins $3,500,000
Total for Trade $6,225,000
Dwight = $5,603,850

Memphis saves $5.5M, KCP gets more playing time and a 15% kicker, and Memphis takes on very little money in year 2 depending on whether KCP decides to exercise his PO. Lakers also have cash if necessary to get a deal done.

Trade 2 is a good option on paper. But that may not go down well, trading an injured player.

Trade 1 won't happen because of no trade clauses.

DMC + FRP for Dwight + SRP and Memphis let's Iggy go, and he signs for Lakers.

That would be an ideal scenario but would be stressful to pull off

The trades are simultaneous. Just showing how the money works. The news would be the four Lakers for Iggy and Dwight. The idea here is that KCP would waive the implicit no trade in order to a) get the extra cash in the trade kicker, b) get more playing time to increase his value on the open market next summer. Your deal of including a FRP to let Iggy go is a non-starter because you don't control Iggy's rights. No chance Lakers trade a FRP for Iggy in any event, and if they did, they would trade other contracts in order to get Iggy's Bird Rights.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#63 » by Kilroy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:44 am

I hate this idea... Howard is going to get it in that Pea Brain of his, that he can compete for a starting position against McGee... He may actually do that, but that won't be enough, because he'll then get it in said pea brain that he can start competing with AD for touches, and when he can't, he'll pull a Dwightgina and start pouting...
He needs to play in some forgotten backwater city with no shot at any legit fame...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#64 » by Landsberger » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:59 am

Kilroy wrote:I hate this idea... Howard is going to get it in that Pea Brain of his, that he can compete for a starting position against McGee... He may actually do that, but that won't be enough, because he'll then get it in said pea brain that he can start competing with AD for touches, and when he can't, he'll pull a Dwightgina and start pouting...
He needs to play in some forgotten backwater city with no shot at any legit fame...

Yeah..... it's too bad the Idaho Stampede folded.....
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Post#65 » by Slava » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:10 am

From Ramona's tweet, it looks like all the noise was coming from Dwight's agent.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,829

Post#66 » by Beethoven » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:51 am

Please no more fumbling the ball in the low post unforced turnovers. Every possession is valuable , and he (dwight) takes that away from LeBron and ad.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,152

Post#67 » by SlimShady83 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:59 am

Slava wrote:From Ramona's tweet, it looks like all the noise was coming from Dwight's agent.

If Lakers sign him I'll be more peed off then the Lebron signing
Bring back Defense
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,671

Post#68 » by Up-And-Coming » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:35 am

Noah for me. I wouldn't be mad at Dwight either though
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,152

Post#69 » by SlimShady83 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:18 am

IMO we want Mcgee start, he'll be a great starter and have that energy boost etc, but he doesn't need to play full starter min

So need someone to help fill the bench role

No nuts
Bring back Defense
SportsReelLife
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#70 » by SportsReelLife » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:39 am

Dwight is an obvious answer right now. Noah is not bad either as he moves the ball to everyone else.
See Breathe Live Sports
First Take
Senior
And1: 414

Post#71 » by First Take » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:59 pm

I hope the Lakers bring back both Andrew Bynum and Dwight Howard. I'd prefer Anthony Davis (especially in the regular season), spend little to no time at the center position (primarily due to him not wanting to guard centers and for health reasons). Dwight can earn that starting role, then have McGee or Bynum as a the 2nd/3rd string big man.
iQon
Senior
And1: 168

Post#72 » by iQon » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:25 pm

I believe it's time to let this grudge with Dwight go.

With that said, I'd be OK with considering this move a year ago. The goal post has since moved considerably for us, and I just don't see any net positive with Dwight. I'd rather take a gander at our South Bay lineup over him.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,185

Post#73 » by LAKESHOW » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:43 pm

Agree. We aint in no dam position no way, no how to pick and choose sh&# at the center position. We gotta get what we can get. We dumped a few quality ones and that was our mistake. Bryant and zubac to name a couple. So we are basically stuck getting crap leftovers. If that crap be named DWIGHT, so be it.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#74 » by tamaraw08 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:19 pm

Up-And-Coming wrote:Noah for me. I wouldn't be mad at Dwight either though

both are old, both came from nagging injuries but Noah never had a history of pouting when he doesn't get touches, he didn't go behind management to get his coach fired. He had much better advanced stats than Dwight. Ranked 16th in ESPN Defense Real plus minus with Dwight ranking 38th last season.
Dwight had -2.3 DbPM to Noah's +3.5. Noah has a PER of 18.6 to Howard's 17.4 and he just played 9 freaking games to Joachim's 41 games.
Lakers cannot afford to take a huge gamble on a guy who bailed on them before even when Kobe went on his way to accommodate this guy by trying to involve him on offense making sure he gets touches.
Having said that, I am hoping Lebron would call Tristan Thompson and initiate a buy out from the Cavs to he can sign with the Lakers.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,930

Post#75 » by zimpy27 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:23 pm

This is the list of big men that can defend and pass:
Noah FA
Bogut FA
Baynes trade (DMC and THT)
Jock Landale has a contract with Lithuania, he's also an option if you can get him out of it.

The last two require a lot of effort in return but they can also shoot the ball.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Post#76 » by Slava » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:26 pm

zimpy27 wrote:This is the list of big men that can defend and pass:
Noah FA
Bogut FA
Baynes trade (DMC and THT)
Jock Landale has a contract with Lithuania, he's also an option if you can get him out of it.

The last two require a lot of effort in return but they can also shoot the ball.

I don't think Bogut wants any part of pelinka again.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,782

Post#77 » by RoyceDa59 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:52 pm

Dwight can still drop 13/10/1 in 25-30 minutes of play.

Can he be useful to the current Lakers? So long as he doesn't expect to be a focal point of the offense.
Go Raps!!
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#78 » by snaquille oatmeal » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:58 pm

Whats the word on Gustavo Ayón?
Forum permissions