ImageImageImage

Woj: Theis re-signed

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,049

Re: Woj: Theis re-signed 

Post#121 » by Darth Celtic » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:30 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:Wait a moment. I've been saying Kanter and Theis have similar contracts, in that salaries and durations are similar. But:
-- Kanter has a player option on the second year.
-- Theis has a team option.

Right?

If that's correct, then I've been wrong in suggesting they really were given equivalent money. Yes, the base case for each is that they play the second year for the Celtics for money in the same general range as the first. Still, the expected value of Kanter's attainable NBA salary over the next two years is quite different from Theis'.

I can't see Kanter picking up his option unless he has some injury that will prevent him playing in 2020-21. Theis is an easy pick-up for the team in pretty much any scenario.

If Kanter wants to stay with the Celtics, he'll likely have to settle for a 20% raise next year. (I think that's how the CBA works.) So it would still be fairly comparable. On the other hand, he's likely to at least have the option to go elsewhere for a lot more.

Theis could miss out on his second year either due to serious injury, or if again he has not-so-serious injuries that lead him to nob play very well.

we'll be under the tax most likely. Can opt out and sign the 9m exception.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,279

Post#122 » by celticfan42487 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:23 am

sam_I_am wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:How many skilled, strong bigs do you think there are in the NBA? Sure, he can't compete with Embiid, Ayton, KAT down low (and he won't be asked to). The only guy on the roster who can compete defensively with those guys is probably Poirier and we haven't even seen him in the NBA yet.

I think Theis is fine. But do you really see him as anything more than a "meh" rotational big?

To be fair that's something that's really hard to be in the NBA and he has a role in this league if he wishes (could see him getting a richer contract in Europe and when he'll hit 30 cashing in before the end of his career).

I'm not sure Time Lord, Porier, Tacko, or Grant at this moment can produce better than Theis and I see him as the backup big.

But he is what he is. An amazing international find by Ainge for depth.

He’s the only rim running, rim protecting 3 point shooter on roster.....so yeah I see him having an important role if health issues are really what derailed his 2018 season.

Your argument there sounds like it's based in the scarcity of talented bigs on the roster as opposed to Theis being more than a meh rotational big for NBA standards.

But yeah whatever. Maybe his 3 point shooting is real. Next season might be the first time he gets 15mpg or more, maybe he shows out and is a real 3 point shooting thread instead of the Baynes level one he has been.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#123 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:39 am

OldCeltics wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:How many skilled, strong bigs do you think there are in the NBA? Sure, he can't compete with Embiid, Ayton, KAT down low (and he won't be asked to). The only guy on the roster who can compete defensively with those guys is probably Poirier and we haven't even seen him in the NBA yet.

I think Theis is fine. But do you really see him as anything more than a "meh" rotational big?

To be fair that's something that's really hard to be in the NBA and he has a role in this league if he wishes (could see him getting a richer contract in Europe and when he'll hit 30 cashing in before the end of his career).

I'm not sure Time Lord, Porier, Tacko, or Grant at this moment can produce better than Theis and I see him as the backup big.

Bottom line is he is a twig. He doesn't have the bulk to defend any legitimate C. He's your typical garbage man, 3rd string hustle guy.

How many legit centers are in the NBA that he has to defend? Like five or something? So he's fine roughly for 75 games, and then he'll get bodied by centers on bad teams (Ayton, KAT, Drummond). Embiid is the only dominant big in the East. So Game 1 of the Finals against the Lakers or Nuggets he would be at a disadvantage.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,983

Post#124 » by sam_I_am » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:29 am

celticfan42487 wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:

He’s the only rim running, rim protecting 3 point shooter on roster.....so yeah I see him having an important role if health issues are really what derailed his 2018 season.

Your argument there sounds like it's based in the scarcity of talented bigs on the roster as opposed to Theis being more than a meh rotational big for NBA standards.

But yeah whatever. Maybe his 3 point shooting is real. Next season might be the first time he gets 15mpg or more, maybe he shows out and is a real 3 point shooting thread instead of the Baynes level one he has been.

The way our team is built, our Center is meant to be 5th starter material as it is. 39% 3 pt shooting and 9/6 in 20 min. with some shot blocking ability and average flashing defense isn’t terrible replacement for what Horford gave us. It means Kemba and the wings need to play up to their best abilities.

Return to Boston Celtics