ImageImageImageImage

ESPN Pelton projection has the magic as the #4 seed.

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

OrlandoSaban
Junior
And1: 201

Re: ESPN Pelton projection has the magic as the #4 seed. 

Post#21 » by OrlandoSaban » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:26 pm

I honestly think we can hit 50 IF we stay healthy
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,131

Post#22 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:10 pm

OrlandoSaban wrote:I honestly think we can hit 50 IF we stay healthy

I don't think we will but I'm not ruling out 50. If we are able to get off to a strong start and Fultz and Bamba give us positive production, and AG & Issac continue improving it's possible. Small improvements in different areas can add up to a lot. Our bench should certainly be better than the first 50 games of last season, that will matter. As you mentioned, being relatively healthy would be a key.
aka: prorl
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#23 » by ezzzp » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:02 am

The Magic should be able to tack on at least 2-3 additional wins just based on some modest offensive improvement from the bench.

Last season the bench was a major problem on both ends of the floor until January. That second unit either lost leads or dug holes too deep for the starters to recover from. That bench group cost the Magic a few games during that stretch.

Once Birch and Briscoe (then MCW) were inserted into the rotation (and Grant/Bamba removed); the bench defense became a strength. They changed the momentum of many games. Unfortunately the offensive end remained a problem for the team once the starting rotation was broken. Hopefully next season, the added depth (Fultz and Aminu) and some development of the younger core will make the bench a two-way strength for the Magic.

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,221

Post#24 » by pepe1991 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:38 am

as every year, injuries and staying healthy will be major factor.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,682

Post#25 » by basketballRob » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:30 am

ezzzp wrote:The Magic should be able to tack on at least 2-3 additional wins just based on some modest offensive improvement from the bench.

Last season the bench was a major problem on both ends of the floor until January. That second unit either lost leads or dug holes too deep for the starters to recover from. That bench group cost the Magic a few games during that stretch.

Once Birch and Briscoe (then MCW) were inserted into the rotation (and Grant/Bamba removed); the bench defense became a strength. They changed the momentum of many games. Unfortunately the offensive end remained a problem for the team once the starting rotation was broken. Hopefully next season, the added depth (Fultz and Aminu) and some development of the younger core will make the bench a two-way strength for the Magic.

They also played by far the easiest part of the schedule in the second half of the season.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,230

Post#26 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:54 pm

basketballRob wrote:
ezzzp wrote:The Magic should be able to tack on at least 2-3 additional wins just based on some modest offensive improvement from the bench.

They also played by far the easiest part of the schedule in the second half of the season.

while fighting for a playoff spot While teams were playing hard to be spoilers. It wasn’t easy by any stretch.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#27 » by basketballRob » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:17 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
basketballRob wrote:

while fighting for a playoff spot While teams were playing hard to be spoilers. It wasn’t easy by any stretch.

Everyone here and around the league was expecting us to have a similar record in those last 30 games.
ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#28 » by ezzzp » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:28 pm

basketballRob wrote: They also played by far the easiest part of the schedule in the second half of the season.

From January to the end of the season the Magic went 26-20 (.565). During that stretch, the Magic had the 3d best defense in the NBA and the 15th ranked offense.

...the Magic's second half schedule was not easy:

• Twenty-three of those 46 games were vs playoff teams

• Another six games were vs teams that were in the playoff race at the time of that game

• Twenty-six of those 46 games were on the road.

• Seven games were on the 2nd night of a back-to-back.
didak
Pro Prospect
And1: 198

Post#29 » by didak » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:02 am

Don't see why we can't. Keeping your core is very efficient management these days in the NBA and adding some of those touches to our bench I can't see us going down the seedings. So we should be thinking as fans "why not us".

Let's do this!
R I P - Kobe Bryant
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#30 » by basketballRob » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:56 am

ezzzp wrote:
basketballRob wrote: They also played by far the easiest part of the schedule in the second half of the season.

From January to the end of the season the Magic went 26-20 (.565). During that stretch, the Magic had the 3d best defense in the NBA and the 15th ranked offense.

• Another six games were vs teams that were in the playoff race at the time of that game

Everyone around here was looking forward to the last 30 games.

Regardless, Bamba will be getting 20+ MPG this year. You can take it to the bank.

ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#31 » by ezzzp » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:22 am

basketballRob wrote:
ezzzp wrote:

Everyone around here was looking forward to the last 30 games.

Regardless, Bamba will be getting 20+ MPG this year. You can take it to the bank.

Even moving the goalposts, more than half of those 30 games were vs teams in or competing for playoffs. More than half were on the road, including a brutal road trip coming off a back to back near the end of the season...games that were all must win.

...and what in the world does this have to do with Bamba's minutes? Not sure why there’s a need to downplay the Magic's second half in an attempt to try to justify Bamba’s play last season. The facts are there....you can take those to the bank.
CZ Eddie
Starter
And1: 725

Post#32 » by CZ Eddie » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:57 am

Are we finally past the point where half the board thinks we should tank??
Keep your politics out of my sports
NickAndersonsBack25
Rookie
And1: 67

Post#33 » by NickAndersonsBack25 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:11 am

Let's do it! Blue and white ignite!
Bobby Knight says:
"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."
"You don't play against opponents, you play against the game of basketball. "
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#34 » by RickB-Orlando » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:11 pm

drsd wrote:
It is unambiguous that:
1) Fultz is an upgrade over Grant

Unless I’ve missed something, I think it is ambiguous. If healthy and ready to play I don’t think there’s any question he’s a better player, but I still feel there are unanswered questions about his health.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#35 » by The Effect » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:31 pm

IF, and its a huge IF, Fultz is back to 90-100% and is the player people thought he was coming out, then we are a 50 win team

If DJ is our starter and fultz is hurt or doesnt pan out, we are a 40 win type team
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,890

Post#36 » by drsd » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:32 am

ESPN "expert" averages:
1. Milwaukee Bucks: 57-25
2. Philadelphia 76ers: 55-27
3. Boston Celtics: 48-34
4. Indiana Pacers: 46-36
5. Brooklyn Nets: 45-37
6. Toronto Raptors: 45-37
7. Miami Heat: 43-39
8. Orlando Magic: 41-41
9. Detroit Pistons: 38-44
10. Atlanta Hawks: 34-48
11. Chicago Bulls: 32-50
12. Washington Wizards: 28-54
13. New York Knicks: 26-56
14. Charlotte Hornets: 23-59
15. Cleveland Cavaliers: 22-60

It is very, very hard to disagree with the ordering of this list. The averages will cause regression of extreme values. For example, I do think the East will have a 60 win team, and three sub-23 win teams. But the #8 seed on 41 wins, whilst would be a tad disappointing, would not be surprising at all.

Looking at the above list, as many of us has the Magic on about 45 wins, that looks a lot like a 5/6 seed. Pre pre-Season, I think that is a good fan-target to aspire for.

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,890

Post#37 » by drsd » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:39 am

The Effect wrote:IF, and its a huge IF, Fultz is back to 90-100% and is the player people thought he was coming out, then we are a 50 win team

If DJ is our starter and fultz is hurt or doesnt pan out, we are a 40 win type team

Let's assume Fultz' health has not at all improved and he will be what he was, here is the comparison:
Fultz vs. Grant comparison

Yes Grant is a better shooter, and yes Fultz is a better rebounder. But what is missing is that Fultz is a dramatically better defender than Grant.

If Fultz "evolves" to have efficiency stats similar to Grant's, Fultz probably takes over as starter over Augustin. Nothing Grant did comes close to such a discussion. So, in conclusion, an injured Fultz was objectively, modestly better than Grant. A more-healthy Fultz, well ..... we will see if that is true.

Return to Orlando Magic