Wizards 2019 Offseason Thread - Part 2

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Re: Wizards 2019 Offseason Thread - Part 2 

Post#381 » by nate33 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:57 am

payitforward wrote:Look where he has the Nets on that list....

They're out of order. He still has them at 38 wins; basically in a 3-way tie for the 6th seed with Miami and Chicago.

I don't think that's out of whack at all. Durant isn't playing this year. Basically, Brooklyn traded Russell for Kyrie. Kyrie is better, but he's also a locker room problem and an injury risk. The Nets also lost a little depth to generate that cap room.

They won 42 games last year.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#382 » by gambitx777 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:22 am

And they have Jordan on a 4-40 dead weight deal. I really liked them if they kept d-lo
nate33 wrote:

They're out of order. He still has them at 38 wins; basically in a 3-way tie for the 6th seed with Miami and Chicago.

I don't think that's out of whack at all. Durant isn't playing this year. Basically, Brooklyn traded Russell for Kyrie. Kyrie is better, but he's also a locker room problem and an injury risk. The Nets also lost a little depth to generate that cap room.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#383 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:03 am

gambitx777 wrote:Man didn't even let him get to training camp. Harsh .good luck to him
Eli Babak wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app

Sucks for Philip but we already have a lot of training camp bodies and the prospects we just picked up are on guaranteed deals , we aren’t gonna cut any of those guys for Philip (who didn’t do much of anything in SL).

This means the full roster is essentially finalized now:

https://earlybirdrights.com/salary-cap/was/

15-man roster:

Wall
Beal
Mahinmi
Miles
Bryant
Bertans
Smith
Hachimura
Brown
Wagner
McCrae
Thomas
Schofield
Bonga
*Justin Robinson

Two-Way
Garrison Matthews
*Jemerrio Jones

Put * next to Robinson and Jones because the 15th spot will be up for grabs in training camp. Sheppard spoke highly of them on the radio and it sounds like he wants to keep both players within the program, but they can fight it out to see who gets the 15th spot and a guaranteed contract vs 2-way contract.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,854

Post#384 » by payitforward » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:55 pm

gambitx777 wrote:And they have Jordan on a 4-40 dead weight deal. I really liked them if they kept d-lo
nate33 wrote:

Yeah, DeAndre Jordan is awful now. Admittedly, he did post a 67.4% TS% last year while grabbing 17.5 rebounds per 40 minutes. But of course you can't tell a thing from boxscore stats of that kind.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#385 » by payitforward » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:34 pm

Well, we'll see about the Nets -- but I pretty much disagree altogether that they've gotten worse. I'd say instead that they are more likely to be better.

Ed Davis was a big loss, but Jordan makes up for that easily. Russell wasn't anywhere near as good as he's being made out to be. Kyrie is an enormous upgrade (with the risks you mention).

The depth they lost (Crabbe, Carroll, Dudley, R. H-J., Napier & Graham) were mostly extremely bad in the 7000 minutes they played. Moreover, they also added depth (Temple, Prince, Nwaba, Chandler). Plus Lavert only played 40 games last year, & Dinwiddie only 68.

Obviously, a bunch of things could affect their season, so we'll see. But simply from the POV of personnel changes & the guys they are getting back who missed a big number of games last year, I think they've improved pretty significantly.

If Kyrie has a good season & Jarrett Allen continues to improve the way he did from a good rookie year to a really really good year two, they could knock on the door of 50 wins pretty easily.

I would not be surprised to see them get past one or both of Boston & Philly.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#386 » by nate33 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:49 pm

payitforward wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:And they have Jordan on a 4-40 dead weight deal. I really liked them if they kept d-lo
nate33 wrote:They're out of order. He still has them at 38 wins; basically in a 3-way tie for the 6th seed with Miami and Chicago.

Yeah, DeAndre Jordan is awful now. Admittedly, he did post a 67.4% TS% last year while grabbing 17.5 rebounds per 40 minutes. But of course you can't tell a thing from boxscore stats of that kind.

Jordan is widely ridiculed as being a rebound chaser now. He doesn't move on defense. He is horrific defending the pick and roll and won't challenge jump shooters. Basically, he just stands at the rim and hopes for misses.

Consider his numbers in New York. He averaged 15 points and 16 boards per 36 with an ORtg of 125. Sounds great, right?

His point differential when on the court was -19.9. And his on/off (for the lowly Knicks) was -12.2. He made a terrible team much, much worse. His on/off numbers have been bad for 3 years now. He doesn't play any defense.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#387 » by Ruzious » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:59 pm

nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:

Jordan is widely ridiculed as being a rebound chaser now. He doesn't move on defense. He is horrific defending the pick and roll and won't challenge jump shooters. Basically, he just stands at the rim and hopes for misses.

Consider his numbers in New York. He averaged 15 points and 16 boards per 36 with an ORtg of 125. Sounds great, right?

His point differential when on the court was -19.9. And his on/off (for the lowly Knicks) was -12.2. He made a terrible team much, much worse. His on/off numbers have been bad for 3 years now. He doesn't play any defense.

He's become a dinosaur much the same way that Dwight Howard did - except without the bad back and character issues. Not to mention he's lost a step and a half from his prime. Signing him to a 4 year deal when they already have Allen didn't make financial sense. I'm assuming they signed him because he was effectively part of a package deal.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#388 » by payitforward » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:53 pm

Fair enough on Jordan -- not to mention that we don't have a lot of reason to focus on the Nets anyway.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#389 » by nuposse04 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:38 pm

payitforward wrote:Fair enough on Jordan -- not to mention that we don't have a lot of reason to focus on the Nets anyway.

I don't know about you, but anytime Kyrie fails is a low key win in my book. :evil:
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#390 » by nuposse04 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:24 am

Read on Twitter

Well, I wonder if he has a chance of sticking. At least there is some...upside?
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Post#391 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:07 am

nuposse04 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Nice. I liked him out of college. Played high school at Montrose Christian in Rockville. But he seems pretty similar to Admiral. Out of UVA looked like a 3&D SF but after shooting 45% on 3 his last year of college has only shot 30% as a pro.

Could knock Jones out, or McRae.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#392 » by dangermouse » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:34 am

Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:Yeah, DeAndre Jordan is awful now. Admittedly, he did post a 67.4% TS% last year while grabbing 17.5 rebounds per 40 minutes. But of course you can't tell a thing from boxscore stats of that kind.

He's become a dinosaur much the same way that Dwight Howard did - except without the bad back and character issues. Not to mention he's lost a step and a half from his prime. Signing him to a 4 year deal when they already have Allen didn't make financial sense. I'm assuming they signed him because he was effectively part of a package deal.

Yeah i didnt understand that move. I've seen depth charts that have Jordan at C and Allen at PF. Unless they think they can win by bringing the 90s/early 00's back into fashion...
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#393 » by Illmatic12 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:58 pm

dangermouse wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:Jordan is widely ridiculed as being a rebound chaser now. He doesn't move on defense. He is horrific defending the pick and roll and won't challenge jump shooters. Basically, he just stands at the rim and hopes for misses.

Yeah i didnt understand that move. I've seen depth charts that have Jordan at C and Allen at PF. Unless they think they can win by bringing the 90s/early 00's back into fashion...

Im certain the Nets internally had no desire to give Jordan that contract. What’s been reported is that DJ is friends with Irving and Durant , and those two stipulated that the Nets sign him as well in order to close the deal.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,604

Post#394 » by pancakes3 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:01 pm

wild that friendships have such a huge sway in this. there are 3rd graders picking teams at recess that know better than to let friendships come between them and the W.

and also wary about getting Justin Anderson.
Bullets -> Wizards
payitforward
RealGM

Post#395 » by payitforward » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:42 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
nuposse04 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Nice. I liked him out of college. Played high school at Montrose Christian in Rockville. But he seems pretty similar to Admiral. Out of UVA looked like a 3&D SF but after shooting 45% on 3 his last year of college has only shot 30% as a pro.

Anderson played pretty well in the league until last year when he dropped some. Atlanta seemed to want to play him at the 4. As a 3 he is an excellent rebounder & effective offensively except he can't shoot the 3, which looks to prevent him having much of an nba career.

For sure he needs to play in someone's TC; he has some possibility. I wouldn't let Jones go to keep him (i.e. based on current info).

What kind of defender is he?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#396 » by nate33 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:58 pm

Is this team going to add any more big men? At the rate things are going, we're going to see Ian Mahinmi for 18 minutes a game.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#397 » by payitforward » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:32 pm

nate33 wrote:Is this team going to add any more big men? At the rate things are going, we're going to see Ian Mahinmi for 18 minutes a game.

Right... that wouldn't be a surprise at all. We've got 13 guys w/ guaranteed contracts, plus McRae, Jones & Robinson hanging around the edge. Somehow I feel certain they'll guarantee Robinson.

Hey... Jones rebounds like a big, right?
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#398 » by Illmatic12 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:11 pm

Well we just saw a season where Brooks ran Jeff Green and Markieff Morris for heavy minutes at the 5. I’d be fairly surprised if the Wizards aren’t anticipating that Hachimura can soak up some minutes as a small ball C.

In one of the SL games they ran Rui at the 5 in the closing lineup, so it’s for sure something the organization is looking at:

My worry is that they may try to squeeze Mo Wagner into the regular rotation bc he was a former first round pick. That will be extremely frustrating as I don’t think he’s an NBA caliber player and atm shouldn’t be relied upon for anything other than DC Go-Go minutes.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#399 » by doclinkin » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:40 pm

nate33 wrote:Is this team going to add any more big men? At the rate things are going, we're going to see Ian Mahinmi for 18 minutes a game.

Right it's almost like they think they have a plan and don't think they want or need more traditional low post Bigs. Couldn't be true though. I have it on good authority we were just picking up guys filling in spots.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#400 » by Ruzious » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:06 pm

payitforward wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
nuposse04 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Anderson played pretty well in the league until last year when he dropped some. Atlanta seemed to want to play him at the 4. As a 3 he is an excellent rebounder & effective offensively except he can't shoot the 3, which looks to prevent him having much of an nba career.

For sure he needs to play in someone's TC; he has some possibility. I wouldn't let Jones go to keep him (i.e. based on current info).

What kind of defender is he?

I remember when MD recruited him and he verballed he'd go there and switched to UVA - he was regarded then as a great athlete with good defensive and very raw offensive skills. Considering he went to UVA, has great length, is very strong, and came in with a defensive rep, he should be a good defender. One issue he seemed to have - he's more fast than quick - he's a real good straight-ahead athlete but without a lot of wiggle. If all things contractually were equal between him and Admiral, I would be inclined to give Anderson a small edge.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to Washington Wizards