Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,508

Re: Harden vs. MJ as a Scorer 

Post#81 » by Pelly24 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:48 pm

King Ken wrote:
Pelly24 wrote:
King Ken wrote:Mid range v. zone defense at 195 when you can't shoot threes isn't a great value in all honestly. You can easily bump him off coverage with a defender like Middleton who's 6'8 240 and force him into Lopez and Giannis. Easily.

His numbers went up with OKC, in Houston is only drops as he is the system and you are forcing others to beat you other than him. Which you can do with hard traps, soft zones and putting a defender like Iggy, Exum when he was healthy, on him and using Gobert or Green to protect the paint and using Green to do that and protect the lane.

And outside of GS, it really hasn't been super effective in his recent run. You still got to outscore the Rox which is not easy to do whatsoever especially when at times you are playing 3-5 trying to scheme out Harden.

Not sure what this even has to do with the fact that Harden is just a more difficult matchup for any generation than Jordan is. Especially with today's rules.

Against HOU, you almost have to do a soft zone just due to Harden's playmaking skills. Against Jordan, I would go with nothing but hard zone and force him to beat me from modern 3pt NBA range.With a hard zone, I would also force MJ to create for others as well without slashing. That's when he struggled heavily. Of course in his era, I couldn't do it with Randy Wittman, Craig Elho, and guys like that. It's not possible. They just don't have the ability which is the biggest problem with MJ's era. The ability just wasn't there to defend him. The personnel just wasn't available.

I think you're underestimating MJ's three-point jumper. He was at like 33-34% for his career in an era that didn't stress three-point shooter. Sure, he wasn't a great shooter from that range, but in this era a big part of the game is your willingness to take the shots, and he was a noticeably better shooter while also being every bit as athletic and 3 inches taller. I could see MJ hitting 35%>>> of his threes and making about 100 per year...

I need to know why you guys are so sure of this. When I watched most tape, his three point shooting looked awful. Shot was always flat from distance. He never really looked comfortable. Most guys didn't really defend him heavily unless it was close to zero on the shot clock. He liked to double clutch for to try to pass it. He mainly took threes with the shot clock running down or if the defender was playing his weak hand in more difficult situations and it was still a last option type of thing. MJ tales are always interesting. It's never anything factual, it's Basketball Chuck Norris talk.

You can't use a three-point shooting contest for this, otherwise Joe Harris is a better shooter than Stephen Curry.

The fact is, he shot about 33% from three for his career, and he also shot like 80% from the line and is statisically the best high volume midrange shooter ever. When you consider that, why is it so hard to believe he could make 1.8 threes a game at 35%? Like, you don't think in an era where that is emphasized and everyone tells you to work on it and you're a natural jumpshooter with perfect form that he couldn't manage to do that? He had seasons where he made like 1.5 threes a game. He has playoff runs where he shot 38% from three.

The real problem here is that you basically put no significance on the playoffs. Harden is honest to god not even a better scorer than LeBron. Kawhi has a very MJ-esque game except he's much slower and much less dynamic of an athlete, and he just put up a better playoff than Kawhi ever had, and MJ has multiple playoff runs just like this one.

Harden has to start dominating in the playoffs for people to respect this take. I can definitely understand the better regular season argument if you don't want to take into account the stylistic differences of today, but the playoffs make it a done deal for me. It's MJ.
jdzimme3
Pro Prospect
And1: 305

Post#82 » by jdzimme3 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:52 am

Honest question, is anyone 35+ years old, not a rockets fan, and not a jordan hater, and still thinks harden is better as a scorer?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
batmana
Sixth Man
And1: 1,424

Post#83 » by batmana » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:54 pm

So this thread is basically 5 pages of OP going against every other poster with nonsense like "Jordan's numbers went down in the playoffs until Phil took over" which is absolutely not true, as I will demonstrate:
1984/85 reg.season - 28.2 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 5.9 APG
1984/85 playoffs - 29.3 PPG, 5.8 RPG, 8.5 APG

1985/86 reg.season - only 18 games (broken leg) - obviously excluding it from the conversation but just so you know, he scored 63 in the playoffs v. the Celtics

1986/87 reg.season - 37.1 PPG, 5.2 RPG, 4.6 APG
1986/87 playoffs - 35.7 PPG, 7.0 RPG, 6.0 APG

1987/88 reg.season - 35.0 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 5.9 APG
1987/88 playoffs - 36.3 PPG, 7.1 RPG, 4.7 APG

1988/89 reg.season - 32.5 PPG, 8.0 RPG, 8.0 APG
1988/89 playoffs - 34.8 PPG, 7.0 RPG, 7.6 APG

And then Phil is the head coach. So that's only once in 5 seasons that his PPG went down, and it went down from 37.1 PPG, the highest average in the modern era, and his playoff average was only from 3 games. BTW, the year I didn't post his playoff numbers, his production is video-game-like so it's not like I did it to hide something under the rug.
So not only did his numbers not go down, he almost invariably did better and more in the playoffs than in the regular season. That was a constant all throughout his career. If you think it's not impressive, then we are talking about two different things here.

To OP - you replying to every poster how they haven't proven anything and Harden is far better at scoring than Jordan doesn't prove your point, you're just shoving your opinion down everyone's throats. I'm fine if that's your agenda, make a 10+-page thread where you respond to every poster with your nonsense. The reality is that Jordan is far superior than Harden as a scorer, and that is demonstrated by both numbers and style of play.

Finally, I'm going to conclude with an opinion of my own that may be unprovable but I'm still gonna post it: young Jordan in today's game would average 40+ points easily, that's what I think of modern defenses. He was scoring 37 when noone was within reach. If you put that team from that season in today's league, with young Jordan having to carry the load, he will certainly average 40-45 PPG. He would average 40+ over something like a 5-year stretch which is absolutely unthinkable for anyone else.

And LOL if you think Middleton is some fearsome defender who's gonna turn Jordan into Rodney Hood all of a sudden. Jordan will eat Middleton for breakfast. There is absolutely nothing that today's defenses, under today's rules, can give Jordan that is more fearsome and challenging, and grueling, than the Bad Boy Pistons' defense. Harden against that defense would probably struggle to score 20 and need multiple games to try and find how to succeed against it.

End of rant.
88.0 FGA Team
C - Gilmore (81-82)/McHale
PF - Rodman (91-92)/McHale (87-88)
SF - Worthy (85-86)/Rodman/Ariza
SG - Miller (93-94)/Ariza (08-09)/Dragic
PG - Johnson (88-89)/Dragic (09-10)
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,111
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#84 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:33 pm

Also, has anyone accounted for the fact that Harden will eat a turnover instead of taking a shot to preserve his %’s?

People want to point out TS%, but is it a fair comparison for a guy that is willing to turn the ball over 5-6 times a game?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Drygon
Veteran
And1: 4,725

Post#85 » by Drygon » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:51 pm

DavidDunn21
Sixth Man
And1: 1,943

Post#86 » by DavidDunn21 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:06 am

On top of everything else that has been said about eras and dominance in the post-season and rings and all of that:

James Harden plays in an offense designed to get him all the stats.
Michael Jordan played much of his career in an offense designed to get everyone else involved.

This is a silly argument.
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,957

Post#87 » by bledredwine » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:54 pm

Drygon wrote:

Haha starting about the 8 minute mark, I found myself cringing, feeling really bad for Harden.

It truly is a dumb comparison and it’s nice to see some posters with common sense.

Harden has yet to be the best scorer in one playoffs. Buuuut let’s compare him to Jordan.
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,957

Post#88 » by bledredwine » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:04 pm

Dear OP,

Michael Jordan has 7 of the top 15 playoff series scoring averages of all time.

Kobe doesn’t have one, Lebron doesn’t, not even wilt does. Jordan’s averages are by far the most efficient on the list as wel with the exception of Bernard King’s Performance (I forgot one year).

Given what you’ve seen from Harden, do you believe that Harden appears on this list even once?
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#89 » by rugbyrugger23 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:22 am

King Ken wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:
King Ken wrote:For me, Harden. He just more difficult regardless of era. I could bring MJ into today's NBA and make it difficult for him and really cut into his efficiency. Muddy the lane, go into zone defense, protect the lane and rotate well like v. Giannis and I can lower any verison of Jordan's impact.

You really can't do much with Harden. You just have to hard trap him, rotate well and force others to beat you. If you can score like the Warriors, you have much higher odds but if his supporting cast can outscore you, you are in trouble. It's extremely difficult for any era to guard Harden. Impossible to be frank.

MJ is impossible in his era with illegal defense and all and the lack of quality perimeter defenders in his era at the position but in today's NBA. They are well perpared for a Michael Jordan type of player. The personnel just wasn't there in the 90s. It took awhile before we started having sound 3/D players.

Everyone has legit 3/D guys with length. At that time, lol. Wasn't no such thing.

Jordan is one of the best mid range shooters ever, so i don't think it would be as easy to limit him like you say.

And what do you mean you can't do much with Harden? His scoring efficiency sees a noticeable drop almost every postseason.

Mid range v. zone defense at 195 when you can't shoot threes isn't a great value in all honestly. You can easily bump him off coverage with a defender like Middleton who's 6'8 240 and force him into Lopez and Giannis. Easily.

His numbers went up with OKC, in Houston is only drops as he is the system and you are forcing others to beat you other than him. Which you can do with hard traps, soft zones and putting a defender like Iggy, Exum when he was healthy, on him and using Gobert or Green to protect the paint and using Green to do that and protect the lane.

And outside of GS, it really hasn't been super effective in his recent run. You still got to outscore the Rox which is not easy to do whatsoever especially when at times you are playing 3-5 trying to scheme out Harden.

Not sure what this even has to do with the fact that Harden is just a more difficult matchup for any generation than Jordan is. Especially with today's rules.

Against HOU, you almost have to do a soft zone just due to Harden's playmaking skills. Against Jordan, I would go with nothing but hard zone and force him to beat me from modern 3pt NBA range.With a hard zone, I would also force MJ to create for others as well without slashing. That's when he struggled heavily. Of course in his era, I couldn't do it with Randy Wittman, Craig Elho, and guys like that. It's not possible. They just don't have the ability which is the biggest problem with MJ's era. The ability just wasn't there to defend him. The personnel just wasn't available.

Did you watch much of Jordan’s career? He reinvented himself completely like 3 times of his career. He added to his game almost every season.

Your reasoning is shot to ship when you personally just don’t see that in his game. You really think Jordan — and what is actual career proves he can actually do — wouldn’t be able to understand today’s game, mold his GOAT talents to what is demanded of him in today’s NBA???

I think a better argument can be made for how much more scoring Jordan would do today vs. back then.

Put it this way, 7 foot centers and even traditional PFs are adding 3’s and pace and space to their game. For some reason you don’t think Michael Jordan could do so and not only do so but at his GOAT level. Wow.
Pipp33
Rookie
And1: 654

Post#90 » by Pipp33 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:35 am

batmana wrote:So this thread is basically 5 pages of OP going against every other poster with nonsense like "Jordan's numbers went down in the playoffs until Phil took over" which is absolutely not true, as I will demonstrate:
1984/85 reg.season - 28.2 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 5.9 APG
1984/85 playoffs - 29.3 PPG, 5.8 RPG, 8.5 APG

1985/86 reg.season - only 18 games (broken leg) - obviously excluding it from the conversation but just so you know, he scored 63 in the playoffs v. the Celtics

1986/87 reg.season - 37.1 PPG, 5.2 RPG, 4.6 APG
1986/87 playoffs - 35.7 PPG, 7.0 RPG, 6.0 APG

1987/88 reg.season - 35.0 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 5.9 APG
1987/88 playoffs - 36.3 PPG, 7.1 RPG, 4.7 APG

1988/89 reg.season - 32.5 PPG, 8.0 RPG, 8.0 APG
1988/89 playoffs - 34.8 PPG, 7.0 RPG, 7.6 APG

And then Phil is the head coach. So that's only once in 5 seasons that his PPG went down, and it went down from 37.1 PPG, the highest average in the modern era, and his playoff average was only from 3 games. BTW, the year I didn't post his playoff numbers, his production is video-game-like so it's not like I did it to hide something under the rug.
So not only did his numbers not go down, he almost invariably did better and more in the playoffs than in the regular season. That was a constant all throughout his career. If you think it's not impressive, then we are talking about two different things here.

To OP - you replying to every poster how they haven't proven anything and Harden is far better at scoring than Jordan doesn't prove your point, you're just shoving your opinion down everyone's throats. I'm fine if that's your agenda, make a 10+-page thread where you respond to every poster with your nonsense. The reality is that Jordan is far superior than Harden as a scorer, and that is demonstrated by both numbers and style of play.

Finally, I'm going to conclude with an opinion of my own that may be unprovable but I'm still gonna post it: young Jordan in today's game would average 40+ points easily, that's what I think of modern defenses. He was scoring 37 when noone was within reach. If you put that team from that season in today's league, with young Jordan having to carry the load, he will certainly average 40-45 PPG. He would average 40+ over something like a 5-year stretch which is absolutely unthinkable for anyone else.

And LOL if you think Middleton is some fearsome defender who's gonna turn Jordan into Rodney Hood all of a sudden. Jordan will eat Middleton for breakfast. There is absolutely nothing that today's defenses, under today's rules, can give Jordan that is more fearsome and challenging, and grueling, than the Bad Boy Pistons' defense. Harden against that defense would probably struggle to score 20 and need multiple games to try and find how to succeed against it.

End of rant.

Thank You!!!

I was going to post something, but in the end decided that there's no point as the OP just accuses anyone who disagrees with them of not knowing anything about basketball.
Large parts of the OP's points are way off, but they can keep believing what they are spewing and the majority of people will disagree with them. They lost me when he said the 90's era was the the weakest..........
Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,541

Post#91 » by 70sFan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:32 pm

The funniest part is that some people think Jordan would be small wing in today league. He was big, played big and would be a big guard. Saying that someone like Kris Middleton with Lopez and Giannis would stop him is just wrong.

I don't like Jordan, I think he's overrated compared to the rest top 10 players ever. I can't deny though that he's probably the best scorer ever and absolutely transcendent player across all eras. He's arguably the best midrange scorer ever, one of the best slashers ever, one of the best post up guards ever, elite off-ball player and terror in transition. He was more complete than almost all players we watch today, including Harden. I really dislike him (mostly because of his fans) but he's better than Harden. In every possible way, I can't see any scenario when I'd prefer Harden over him.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#92 » by Dr Spaceman » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:57 pm

70sFan wrote:The funniest part is that some people think Jordan would be small wing in today league. He was big, played big and would be a big guard. Saying that someone like Kris Middleton with Lopez and Giannis would stop him is just wrong.

I don't like Jordan, I think he's overrated compared to the rest top 10 players ever. I can't deny though that he's probably the best scorer ever and absolutely transcendent player across all eras. He's arguably the best midrange scorer ever, one of the best slashers ever, one of the best post up guards ever, elite off-ball player and terror in transition. He was more complete than almost all players we watch today, including Harden. I really dislike him (mostly because of his fans) but he's better than Harden. In every possible way, I can't see any scenario when I'd prefer Harden over him.

I’d prefer Harden if I wanted my team to be hated.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
HBK_Kliq_33
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,844

Post#93 » by HBK_Kliq_33 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:54 pm

70sFan wrote:The funniest part is that some people think Jordan would be small wing in today league. He was big, played big and would be a big guard. Saying that someone like Kris Middleton with Lopez and Giannis would stop him is just wrong.

Every possible way? I guess Jordan is going to make 400 three pointers in this era all of a sudden? You said he was overrated and than followed that up by overrating him.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,775

Post#94 » by Peregrine01 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:32 pm

The turnover thing really gets glossed over when we talk about scoring efficiency. Moreover, Harden routinely dribbles the air out of the ball only to throw it to a teammate with 3 seconds on the clock. How do you account for that?
70sFan
RealGM

Post#95 » by 70sFan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:16 pm

HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:

Every possible way? I guess Jordan is going to make 400 three pointers in this era all of a sudden? You said he was overrated and than followed that up by overrating him.

Read bolded part. I don't mean that he's better in every aspect of the game but I can't see any scenario where Harden would be more valuable. You don't have to shoot so many threes to be better player than Harden.
HBK_Kliq_33
Lead Assistant

Post#96 » by HBK_Kliq_33 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:18 pm

70sFan wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:

Read bolded part. I don't mean that he's better in every aspect of the game but I can't see any scenario where Harden would be more valuable. You don't have to shoot so many threes to be better player than Harden.

I agree as a scorer Jordan is clearly better. The better thread would be offensive player because Harden is better at passing\playmaking, 3 point shooting and also probably better at getting to the freethrow line as well, ball handling is about even, Harden is physically stronger, Jordan is more athletic.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#97 » by 70sFan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:30 pm

HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
70sFan wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:

I agree as a scorer Jordan is clearly better. The better thread would be offensive player because Harden is better at passing\playmaking, 3 point shooting and also probably better at getting to the freethrow line as well, ball handling is about even, Harden is physically stronger, Jordan is more athletic.

Sounds like Kawhi vs Harden, right? Except that Jordan is better scorer and playmaker than Leonard.
HBK_Kliq_33
Lead Assistant

Post#98 » by HBK_Kliq_33 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:39 pm

70sFan wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
70sFan wrote:

Sounds like Kawhi vs Harden, right? Except that Jordan is better scorer and playmaker than Leonard.

You don't understand, that's like a Larry Bird fan telling Jordan fan in 1990 "Bird is clearly a better player" but you are judging too early because obviously by 1998 those Bird fans ate crow. Similar situation here with telling me Jordan is better than Kawhi. Kawhi's 2017\2019 scoring playoffs was about 29 PPG on 65% TS

Than for a single year he had 732 points on 62% TS

I don't think anybody is clearly better scorer than Leonard, we have to wait until the end of his career. His peak has pretty much been a total of 36 games and he's averaging about 29 PPG on 65% TS vs defensive anchors like Marc Gasol, Embiid, Giannis.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#99 » by 70sFan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:42 pm

HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
70sFan wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:

You don't understand, that's like a Larry Bird fan telling Jordan fan in 1990 "Bird is clearly a better player" but you are judging too early because obviously by 1998 those Bird fans ate crow. Similar situation here with telling me Jordan is better than Kawhi. Kawhi's 2017\2019 scoring playoffs was about 29 PPG on 65% TS

I don't think anybody is clearly better scorer than Leonard, we have to wait until the end of his career. His peak has pretty much been a total of 36 games and he's averaging about 29 PPG on 65% TS vs defensive anchors like Marc Gasol, Embiid, Giannis.

But Harden has the same advantages over Jordan as he has over Kawhi. If you think that Harden is arguably better than Jordan on offense, you should consider him over Kawhi too.
HBK_Kliq_33
Lead Assistant

Post#100 » by HBK_Kliq_33 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:45 pm

70sFan wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
70sFan wrote:Sounds like Kawhi vs Harden, right? Except that Jordan is better scorer and playmaker than Leonard.

But Harden has the same advantages over Jordan as he has over Kawhi. If you think that Harden is arguably better than Jordan on offense, you should consider him over Kawhi too.

I think Jordan\Kawhi are clearly better scorers than Harden.

The offense debate is when it gets much closer.

Return to Player Comparisons